Maye Out 3-4 Weeks

HawkeyeJet

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

Yes.  Buffalo’s final piece to the Super Bowl puzzle that’s been haunting them for 40 years.  

Thanks, Joe Douglas.  

SAR I

well if we get rid of him or he leaves in FA you can add him to your list of great players JD let go.

and then when he signs a 60 mil contract for a safety i can tell you we did the right thing.

22 minutes ago, doitny said:

well if we get rid of him or he leaves in FA you can add him to your list of great players JD let go.

and then when he signs a 60 mil contract for a safety i can tell you we did the right thing.

Again, I get smart cap management for a playoff contender or even a .500 club.  I get it.   Box safety, too much money, blah blah blah.  I understand.

But for a 2-win team like the Jets, we need to hold on to every good player we can at 2019/2020 money.  You see, we can't get better unless we collect better players and by trading away the better players we have no one for the new young players to lean on.  Back when we tossed Leo and Jamal aside, we knew we had 5 years of pain ahead of us, so why not have them here during the pain to lead us out?  And by the time we're good and the cap hit hurts, their contracts are done.

The Yankees paid Don Mattingly during the losing 80's and early 90's.  The Mets paid whatshishame with the moustache who was afraid of Roger Clemens too.  A young rebuild needs to have some elder veterans who were born Jets, like the franchise, like the team, and pump us up from within. 

What's happening right now is that we have a new HC and staff who are pretending to be Jets and we have a new roster who are pretending to be Jets but no one is bought in.  No one believes in it.  A few Pro Bowlers (Jamal, Leo) and walk-on's (Robbie) and a 4th year QB looking for a big contract (Darnold) surely would have helped.  Expensive now?  Who cares?  In 5 years when we're competitive, their contracts would be over or easily absorbed.

SAR I

26 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Again, I get smart cap management for a playoff contender or even a .500 club.  I get it.   Box safety, too much money, blah blah blah.  I understand.

But for a 2-win team like the Jets, we need to hold on to every good player we can at 2019/2020 money.  You see, we can't get better unless we collect better players and by trading away the better players we have no one for the new young players to lean on.  Back when we tossed Leo and Jamal aside, we knew we had 5 years of pain ahead of us, so why not have them here during the pain to lead us out?  And by the time we're good and the cap hit hurts, their contracts are done.

The Yankees paid Don Mattingly during the losing 80's and early 90's.  The Mets paid whatshishame with the moustache who was afraid of Roger Clemens too.  A young rebuild needs to have some elder veterans who were born Jets, like the franchise, like the team, and pump us up from within. 

What's happening right now is that we have a new HC and staff who are pretending to be Jets and we have a new roster who are pretending to be Jets but no one is bought in.  No one believes in it.  A few Pro Bowlers (Jamal, Leo) and walk-on's (Robbie) and a 4th year QB looking for a big contract (Darnold) surely would have helped.  Expensive now?  Who cares?  In 5 years when we're competitive, their contracts would be over or easily absorbed.

SAR I

i get what your saying but its hard with a salary cap. you keep Maye and he wants alot of money for a safety then there's less to spend in other areas like Guard or Center.

if we kepted those players we dont have the 2OA to draft Wilson. we probably don't draft a QB at all. now were stuck with Sam till 2023. sorry but im not drinking the kool aid on sam. 

and we might have too many wins in 2022 to get a QB in 2023. we might have to wait till 2024.

and why is it important to keep Jets who were drafted by us? to teach them how to be Jets? all they know about being a Jet is losing. no you can get a FA vet from a winning franchise to teach them how to win.

and as i have pointed out before to you, most of your guys arent doing well so far. Robbie has been horrible. and Leo has started out slow. 

Adams would have been a problem. he wouldnt put up with the losing. and JD couldn't turn down 2 #1 picks for him. he probably would have left for Dallas anyway.

but if you want homegrown Jets you got QW. he is in his 3rd year. same as Adams and Sam when we got rid of them.

and we better not take 5 years to be competitive. im actually a year behind your expectations. you wanted 8 wins this year, i said 8 wins next year. in 2023 i fully believe were in the playoffs. or hope i should say. but if were not close to those 8 wins next year barring injuries to Wilson and half the team, i will be joining you on your boat. 

im a Mets fan and i cant think of the guy your talking about. only mustache i remember was the fake one Bobby V wore that one time.

10 hours ago, doitny said:

i get what your saying but its hard with a salary cap. you keep Maye and he wants alot of money for a safety then there's less to spend in other areas like Guard or Center.

if we kepted those players we dont have the 2OA to draft Wilson. we probably don't draft a QB at all. now were stuck with Sam till 2023. sorry but im not drinking the kool aid on sam. 

and we might have too many wins in 2022 to get a QB in 2023. we might have to wait till 2024.

and why is it important to keep Jets who were drafted by us? to teach them how to be Jets? all they know about being a Jet is losing. no you can get a FA vet from a winning franchise to teach them how to win.

and as i have pointed out before to you, most of your guys arent doing well so far. Robbie has been horrible. and Leo has started out slow. 

Adams would have been a problem. he wouldnt put up with the losing. and JD couldn't turn down 2 #1 picks for him. he probably would have left for Dallas anyway.

but if you want homegrown Jets you got QW. he is in his 3rd year. same as Adams and Sam when we got rid of them.

and we better not take 5 years to be competitive. im actually a year behind your expectations. you wanted 8 wins this year, i said 8 wins next year. in 2023 i fully believe were in the playoffs. or hope i should say. but if were not close to those 8 wins next year barring injuries to Wilson and half the team, i will be joining you on your boat. 

im a Mets fan and i cant think of the guy your talking about. only mustache i remember was the fake one Bobby V wore that one time.

Good post, and I get what you're saying, truly.

My point, in simplest terms is that to rebuild properly you need a fair amount of homegrown veterans who are bought-in to the team, the area, the culture, etc.  The 2021 Jets are literally an expansion team in every sense of the word.  Bunch of strangers in the FO, coaching staff, and locker room.  It didn't have to be this bad to turn around and become good again.  The cuts were way too deep this time.

SAR I

Worst steak I have ever had and..........the put it on a bed of salad.   WTF?  I did like the fish and chips, and they didn't have mashed potatoes at their KFC.
This... id put Keens or DelFriscos up against ant strakhouse in europe. Not Lugers anymore.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

On 9/30/2021 at 1:39 PM, SAR I said:

What I meant to say is that indigenous British food is dull. I wouldn’t care to find a fantastic Italian restaurant in London because I have fantastic Italian restaurants in New York, there is nothing special or compelling about London Italian.  The best meal I ever had in London was Indian. Again, plenty of that here in Manhattan. 

SAR I

Not to beat a dead horse here, but talking about indigenous British food then fantastic Italian is pretty funny.

Whats indigenous American, pemmican?

On 9/29/2021 at 6:22 PM, Green Ghost said:

Sorta like how nobody paid Jamal, Robby, Leo, and Sam, huh?

Oh, wait….

Not every team is nearly as worried about the salary cap - as Jet fans are.  It goes up every year - you can restructure contracts and figure it out.  
You need good players to win in this league, not cap space. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

21 hours ago, SAR I said:

Good post, and I get what you're saying, truly.

My point, in simplest terms is that to rebuild properly you need a fair amount of homegrown veterans who are bought-in to the team, the area, the culture, etc.  The 2021 Jets are literally an expansion team in every sense of the word.  Bunch of strangers in the FO, coaching staff, and locker room.  It didn't have to be this bad to turn around and become good again.  The cuts were way too deep this time.

SAR I

I think that's a function of drafting the wrong guys in the first place. I find it hard to believe if we kept Williams, Adams, Robby, Sam and eventually Maye they would play better here. So we would have a lousy team with overpriced players rather than a lousy team with  a lot of "what's his name agains?"  It's not going to end anytime soon either it seems, because we are still drafting poorly so the cycle will likely continue. It's certainly maddening. Darnold is understandable because you have to take a QB there and obviously we could have done a better job bringing him along. Robby I'm torn on, really like him but not a very consistent player. Williams and Adams are 100% fools gold. 

• Upvote 3

On 10/1/2021 at 3:35 AM, doitny said:

Davis might play Sunday. Sherrod is off the injury list too. lets see how they play

Hopefully, Davis gets a chance to play FS for the rest of the year and shows he can be the answer there.

I like Maye, but he will be very expensive to retain and probably isn't worth it (for this current Jets team) with guys like Foley and JFM also up for new deals.

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

Hopefully, Davis gets a chance to play FS for the rest of the year and shows he can be the answer there.

I like Maye, but he will be very expensive to retain and probably isn't worth it (for this current Jets team) with guys like Foley and JFM also up for new deals.

me too.

but like i said on another post he had no preseason and miss the 1st 3 games. he has 3 or 4 practices and that's it. i expect him to be flat this Sunday. missing tackles and getting beat...

i will be here on Monday defending the kid. at least give him a FULL week of practice maybe 2 after not being here in forever. but the JD haters don't think like that.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, doitny said:

i always remember him with the goatee but your right.

HEY @SAR I Piazza wasnt afraid of Clemens. i think you got that the other way around..

typical Yankee fan...

Nah, It was the way SAR1 said it. That's how I knew who he was talking about.(Disclaimer: I too am a Yankee fan.lol)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Not every team is nearly as worried about the salary cap - as Jet fans are.  It goes up every year - you can restructure contracts and figure it out.  
You need good players to win in this league, not cap space. 

I call it the  Jet Nation effect…. Trade your best guys before you have to pay them. Talk about how you never won with those guys and yay, your GM won the trade. Just look at all the cap space and picks you now have. This board just eats it up.

Then fail to hit on those picks, but no worries… you can start another rebuild two years from now, and then… Super Bowls!!!” ?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, doitny said:

me too.

but like i said on another post he had no preseason and miss the 1st 3 games. he has 3 or 4 practices and that's it. i expect him to be flat this Sunday. missing tackles and getting beat...

i will be here on Monday defending the kid. at least give him a FULL week of practice maybe 2 after not being here in forever. but the JD haters don't think like that.

The above about Ashtyn Davis needed to be said. Even a proven talent couldn't be in game shape for this first game back given all of the circumstances. Want to see Davis to continue to have a proving period. He has plus speed and plus tackling force (when he is in position).

• Upvote 1