Bring back… Mangini?

jetstream23

With our high 1st rounder next year we def need to draft another Gholston, courtesy of someone who's been out of the league for longer than he was in it.

1 hour ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Mangini was shorted... Look up the story about how he had a guarantee from Woodrow about how no matter what happened he would not be released from his position as long as he agreed to Brett Favre.

And I remember specifically that he was very stoic and tried to emulate Belichick in his interviews the first year he was here, but he wasn't like that after. His humor became very obvious and he was friendly with the media.

I agree that in some capacity I think this guy knows football he's been around for a long time..

He still tried to play the tough guy / silent douche type well after that 2006 season. Years later, even after his Jets tenure ended, when Cleveland hired him, iirc he instantly endeared himself to the team and fanbase by painting over Jim Brown murals as like a first order of business. Second order of business apparently was snubbing star players in the hallways there, ignoring them as they walked past each other, starting with his pro bowl NT. 

In his 2013 memoir, former player Nate Jackson, who was briefly part of the Browns' practice squad during the 2009 preseason, sharply criticized Mangini. Jackson wrote that Mangini's coaching style had so alienated his players that they seemed "deep in despair" with "no fight left in them" only a few months after Mangini took over.[15]

There's no need for him to be every player's best buddy, but there's also no need to be a tool to his whole team just for the sake of doing so. A guy with insecurity issues does that as some half-assed substitute for a lack of earned respect. I'd say such behavior is textbook, if I'd actually read any textbooks in that field lol.

Like everyone, I'm hoping for far better returns from this FO/CS, but when drafting the upcoming top 10 pick this FO doesn't need the guidance of the guy who pushed his GM to draft Vernon Gholston 6th in the country.

When thinking of FO people to turn an offense around, his name doesn't come to mind. I'd trust his judgment on player-personnel decisions more than either Johnson brother, if it makes you feel better ?.

He had his time and his chance. Like with Herm, Rex, and others, let it go.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

Just now, rangerous said:

and then mangini was launched at the end of that season.  i wonder if this had something to do with it.  he shouldn't have been launched based on record especially since his qb's health failed the team down the stretch.

Mangini absolutely had to go. That collapse with the talent he had was disgraceful. He let Favre walk all over him as he wouldn't sit to break his precious streak. 

The players despised him, as they did in Cleveland too. He had lost the dressing room and Rex Ryan was going to be available. The Jets made the right call and the stats show as much. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

That’s what a man would do—defend the dignity of his woman. Naturally, the Long Island mouth-breathers on this site prefer coaches who let randos jerk off their wives’ feet in the ShopRite parking lot.

Mangini named his kid Brett after the QB he let run his locker room and destroy his season. Real man lol. 

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

this FO doesn't need the guidance of the guy who pushed his GM to draft Vernon Gholston 6th in the country

I’m glad to see it acknowledged that Mangini was the guy driving player selections during the brief era when Revis, Mangold, and Brick were drafted. Such progress in the discourse.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I’m glad to see it acknowledged that Mangini was the guy driving player selections during the brief era when Revis, Mangold, and Brick were drafted. Such progress in the discourse.

You can't talk Mangini without first talking Walt Michaels..... Should be a hashtag on The Twitter.

• Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

He also drafted Gholston and one of his first moves was to give Kimo Von Olhoffen a ton of money.

Look at the top 10 of that Gholston draft. The Jets drafts since Mangini have been abysmal. Signed Faneca and Pace. Damien Woody. Drafted Brad Smith, Leon Washington. Hell even Eric Smith would  be considered a good pick if he was drafted by Douglas at this point.

He got talent on the team. In the context on the franchise and it’s draft results, he was by far the most successful over the last 20 years.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2