Has Any Team EVER Had This Kind of Consistent Run of Epic Failure on Offense?

Warfish

8 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

The Cleveland browns for most of their history in this 21st century 

The Browns from 1999 to 2006 (Browns were an expansion team restarted in 1999), and again 2008 to 2017 certainly look close to on par with us, if perhaps a bit worse, true.

Prior to that though, at least, they had long stretches of relative success on Offense.

29 minutes ago, JazzyJet said:

truly amazing isn't that we have to suffer through both of these at the same time. 

but the Mets have Cohen now. and we got embarrass this year. with no salary cap i expect him to sign some good players.

and more importantly sign a good manager.

see baseball a good Owner with deep pockets matters. here it doesnt with the cap.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

The NY Jets Offense over the past 10 years has been ranked:

2012 - 28th in Points, 30th in Yards, -94 in Point Differential, 6-10 under Rex Ryan & Mark Sanchez

2013 - 29th in points, 25th in Yards, -97 in Point Differential, 8-8 under Rex Ryan & Geno Smith

2014 - 28th in Points, 22nd in Yards, -118 in Point Differential, 4-12 under Rex Ryan and Geno Smith

2015 - 11th in Points, 10th in Yards, +73 in Point Differential, 10-6 under Todd Bowles and Ryan Fitzpatrick

2016 - 30th in Points, 26th in Yards, -134 in Points Differential, 5-11 under Todd Bowles and Ryan Fitzpatrick

2017 - 24th in Points, 28th in Yards, -84 in Points Differential, 5-11 under Todd Bowles and Josh McCown

2018 - 23rd in Points, 29th in Yards, -108 in Points Differential, 4-12 under Todd Bowles and Sam Darnold

2019 - 31st in Points, 32nd in Yards, -83 in Points Differential, 7-9 under Adam Gase & Sam Darnold

2020 - 32nd in Points, 32nd in Yards, -214 in Points Differential, 2-14 under Adam Gase & Sam Darnold

2021 - 32nd in Points, 30th in Yards, -50 in Points Differential, 0-3 under Robert Saleh & Zach Wilson thru 3 games

----------------------

I'm willing to venture a guess that no NFL team in the history of this league has had a decade of Offensive ineptitude that can rival this period of Jets football.

4 Coaches.  6 QB's. Average Offensive Ranking, 26th in both Points and Yards.  A .346 winning %.

Take out the 2015 fluke under Fitz, and it's a horror show.  Avg. rank of 28th/28th and a .312 winning %.

I don't feel like doing all the math required nor do I have source that tracks it in this way, but I'm willing to wager our Offensive rank, cumulative over this period, would be 32nd/32nd, worst in the NFL in both categories.

It's almost hard to believe any NFL Team, in a league designed for Offense and designed to have parity amongst it's teams, could be so consistently bad for such a consistently long period of time.  

While we still have 14 games left this year, the frustration of our fan base at this point is 100% understandable.

This level of futility on Offense is, I believe, historic in it's scope and breadth.

They should put  this whole thing on billboards by the stadium , they break out the planes and fly this over the stadium at halftime !!!

Thanks for illustrating this offensive ineptitude.  It's staggering and depressing.

We have every right to be pissed watching this team.   I'm still on board with this rebuild as I like JD, Salah and Wilson and functionally it's really year 2 for JD's regime being he couldn't make any moves year one after he first came in.  We're 3 games into a rookie QB/HC/OC.

But damn if I wasn't jealous the Jaguars 0-4 start after watching them play the Bengals last night.  They actually MOVED the ball.  Trevor actually made some plays, they actually SCORED POINTS in the loss.  What a luxury.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

The Cleveland browns for most of their history in this 21st century 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

The Browns from 1999 to 2006 (Browns were an expansion team restarted in 1999), and again 2008 to 2017 certainly look close to on par with us, if perhaps a bit worse, true.

Prior to that though, at least, they had long stretches of relative success on Offense.

They were my thought too. Always seemed offensively inept until Baker since I’ve started watching.

I guess that makes Dererk Anderson and Braylon Edwards their Fitzpatrick and Marshall because I do remember them randomly being amazing for a season.

We are slowly but surely becoming the new Browns. 

56 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Thanks for illustrating this offensive ineptitude.  It's staggering and depressing.

We have every right to be pissed watching this team.   I'm still on board with this rebuild as I like JD, Salah and Wilson and functionally it's really year 2 for JD's regime being he couldn't make any moves year one after he first came in.  We're 3 games into a rookie QB/HC/OC.

But damn if I wasn't jealous the Jaguars 0-4 start after watching them play the Bengals last night.  They actually MOVED the ball.  Trevor actually made some plays, they actually SCORED POINTS in the loss.  What a luxury.

The board would have had a different feel if the offense would have scored a couple tds against Denver

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Just a comment regarding the observations of "consistency".

Through this run of suck, there really has been only one constant. Different QBs, different OC's, different HCs, different GM's.

Same owners.

Carry on.

And as I always do when that point is raised, I'll just say this:  They're not selling, and they're not that old.

If one legitimately thinks the Owners are to blame, they really should consider moving on to another team.

Because it is almost assured that the Johnsons will own this team for at least another few decades at least.

And when they go, they'll likely just leave it to another Johnson.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1