2021/22 NY Rangers thread

EM31

Tonight has letdown game written all over it.

Back to back games. Shesterkin out for who knows how long, Blackhawks playing much better of late and we are sitting on a five-game winning streak.

Time for Georgie to step up and show us some of what he has shown last year.  First place in the Metropolitan may be on the line.

• Upvote 1

Good win last night.  Georgie had more that a little help from the pipes but the refs nearly found a way to totally screw us last night.  2nd goal was clearly after the whistle AND he was pushed into the net after the whistle blew AND the original decision was no goal so they would have needed to see clear evidence of a mistake.  I think they got all three parts of that decision wrong and thankfully we held them off or the last minute.

image.png

• Upvote 1

So my crap DSL connection was half decent last night, and I find a sports feed for the Knicks, hoping they will build on the nice win in San Antonio: shut that off sometime in the third quarter when it's apparent they are mailing this one in. Switch to the Rangers, early second quarter, knowing they've been on a tear as of late: just in to see the Avs fill the net for 20 minutes. 

I can't get no satisfaction. 

We were overdue for a bit of a stinker and it is a pity that it came on Adam Huska's NHL debut game.  I feel bad for the kid.

Anyway we get to see them again in their building on Tuesday night so it is not like we have to wait three months before we square off again,

Time to start a new winning streak against Buffalo Sabres tonight.  They give up a lot of goals but they can also fill up the net themselves so we need to pay attention on the back-end tonight otherwise they might luck into a game where their goalie stands on his head and we end up on the wrong end of a 4-1 loss against a pretty bad team.

We have been fortunate to avoid those kinds of let down games this year and tonight is one where the coach needs to earn his money.

Tough loss.  Nashville played a great road game last night and on balance probably deserved tHE 1-0 win,

This next stretch is a really good test for us.  Games against the Avalanche (who just crushed us), and Las Vegas on the road looks like a chance at our first real losing streak if we are not careful.

This is where coaches earn their money but also where the non-performers need to step up.  Mika is so scared of taking his own shot right now that he is passing on golden opportunities in favor of lesser ones from someone else.  That has to stop.  Kakko seems to have back-slid over the last few and Laffy is still being carried by the team.  Maybe it is time for him to get some work in at Hartford because it isn't happening for him here right now.

The defense and goaltending have been more than solid during this last run obviously with the exception of the collective brain-fart against Colorado.  It is good to know moving forward that we have a solid backup goalie. 

13 hours ago, EM31 said:

Tough loss.  Nashville played a great road game last night and on balance probably deserved tHE 1-0 win,

This next stretch is a really good test for us.  Games against the Avalanche (who just crushed us), and Las Vegas on the road looks like a chance at our first real losing streak if we are not careful.

This is where coaches earn their money but also where the non-performers need to step up.  Mika is so scared of taking his own shot right now that he is passing on golden opportunities in favor of lesser ones from someone else.  That has to stop.  Kakko seems to have back-slid over the last few and Laffy is still being carried by the team.  Maybe it is time for him to get some work in at Hartford because it isn't happening for him here right now.

The defense and goaltending have been more than solid during this last run obviously with the exception of the collective brain-fart against Colorado.  It is good to know moving forward that we have a solid backup goalie. 

It’s popular now to have your high draft picks to be in the NHL right away just like an NFL QB start but seeing what has happened with the Jets failures with rookie QBs and Kakko and Laf not tear it up right away I’m now on the side of letting them sit/play in the minors. The Jets rushed Wilson and the Rangers are rushing VERY young players in Kakko and Lafreniere. It might be too late now as a demotion to Hartford could be a confidence crusher but I wish they started out there instead letting them fail in the NHL first. 

6 minutes ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

I was fortunate enough to already have ESPN+ for college hockey games but I agree. These streaming services are out of control. 

If you have an older smart tv that doesn’t have the espn app. What do you do? Watch it through your phone and connect the phone to the tv?

• 3 weeks later...

Back to back wins against the two time Stanley cup champions is nothing to Sneeze at.  Yes they had significant injuries and COVID players sitting out but so did we.

Mika has finally kicked it into gear at the right time as the Kreider goal scoring machine seems to have shut down. Bread man goes on the COVID list.

Unless this team seriously goes into the toilet we are looking at 2022 as a playoff year.  It would be nice to do some damage when we get there but for now let's enjoy watching a team that is still figuring itself out while they get better.

In other news the Islanders seem to have woken up.  They have a very steep hill to climb from where they are at but the nucleus of that team is a bona fide cup contender so I am not expecting any less from them.

• Upvote 2

Still flying under the radar a bit since ESPN only has us in 9th spot in the power rankings.  This is a good thing.  I start to worry more when the bandwagon fills up.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/32868139/nhl-power-rankings-1-32-poll-plus-every-team-superpower

Next up is a five game road trip the first four of which are out west (Vegas, Anaheim, the Kings and San Jose).  A good test. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, faba said:

Best record in NHL right now exceeding expectations but rough west cost trip coming

Agreed but lets be honest this last 4-game stretch included Florida, Tampa b=Bay back to back and then Edmonton looked a little dicey but we came out of it with 7 or if 8 points.

None of us are getting ahead of ourselves but honestly, other than a game here or there, the biggest impression I have taken away from these first 34 games is that the team is figuring itself out a bit and working towards improving.  All good signs for further on down the road.

If Igor and now Georgie keep up the great work in goal then we are golden.

This hockey season has been a nighmare for an Islander fan.  Rangers have nearly doubled up the Islanders, we are on a forced sabbatical for another two weeks.  Probably going to have to play a couple dozen back to backs to make up for all the games we have missed.  13 game road trip to open the season.  Couple of weeks palying through a  Covid outbreak.  And now that we are healthy, another 4 games cancelled due to protocols.  And the Rangers just keep on winning.

I may need to lock this thread soon.  Just because I can.

• Haha 1