2021/22 NY Rangers thread

EM31

On 1/28/2022 at 10:12 PM, southparkcpa said:

Tried to describe it to my GF… wanted to say he was the greatest Ranger goalie but then stopped.  Not sure he was.   

He is a GREAT Ranger, but Richter won a cup.   Thoughts????

I'll try to answer this from a long time Devils fan and season ticket holder from 1987-2004 perspective.  It was game #6, in our barn, of the classic 1994 series with you guys. Ranger fans will always refer to it as the "Messier game, but I always call it the Richter game. We were up 2-0 after one, and if not for Richter literally standing on his head in the 2nd period, it would have been 6-0. It was maybe the greatest exhibition of goaltending that I've ever seen. We all know how that one ended. Hank definitely did more with lesser teams, buy for my $, it will always be Mike Richter. Either way though, you can't go wrong with either guy. They both oozed class, greatness and true professionalism, and we were all lucky to have been able to see them for so many years. Congrats, Hank, you belong up there.

2 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

I couldn't watch the rangers game last night because I don't have access to ESPN + . WHAT A CROCK !!! The NHL is making a big mistake . Hockey isn't that popular to begin with . Now , they are putting games behind pay walls that most fans have no access to . SUCK IT NHL .

I got it this year because for whatever reason MSG decided to black out even the replays of the games (I live in South Carolina with Direct TV)

It is actually not bad. I will cancel after the season so I think I am paying like $42.00 for the season

Real nice win over a good Panther team last night.

It is going to be interesting to see if the Rangers make any moves before the trade deadline. Been alot of chatter about bringing JT Miller back, 

I think they are going to make moves. Alot of the playoff teams have little to no cap space to bring in a prime player (Patrick Kane ?) and the Rangers have some young talent they can move if need be.

21 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

Real nice win over a good Panther team last night.

It is going to be interesting to see if the Rangers make any moves before the trade deadline. Been alot of chatter about bringing JT Miller back, 

I think they are going to make moves. Alot of the playoff teams have little to no cap space to bring in a prime player (Patrick Kane ?) and the Rangers have some young talent they can move if need be.

JT Miller, Claude Giroux or both!

Miller got better after he left here and I have always respected what Giroux brings to the table  I really think he could help us make a deep playoff run.

We have cap room and we have a talent pipeline logjam.  Now the question is do we have a GM who is not going to get fleeced by other GMs who are probably salivating at that very prospect.

The next question may end up being this one.   In order to land a premium player, other teams may ask for Kapo Kakko or Alexis Lafrenniere,  Is this team willing to give up so soon on a #1 overall and/or a #2 overall pick?

On 2/2/2022 at 7:55 AM, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

I couldn't watch the rangers game last night because I don't have access to ESPN + . WHAT A CROCK !!! The NHL is making a big mistake . Hockey isn't that popular to begin with . Now , they are putting games behind pay walls that most fans have no access to . SUCK IT NHL .

ESPN+ is gonna have some exclusive playoff games, so you may have to pay up or borrow someone else's data. 

• Thumb Down 1

On 2/2/2022 at 11:25 AM, EM31 said:

The next question may end up being this one.   In order to land a premium player, other teams may ask for Kapo Kakko or Alexis Lafrenniere,  Is this team willing to give up so soon on a #1 overall and/or a #2 overall pick?

Readily give up any young D not named Schneider, including Miller. 

4 hours ago, Bugg said:

Readily give up any young D not named Schneider, including Miller. 

I like Zac but agree 100%

Right now trade pieces are a young defenseman, Kravstov, Chytil (if anyone will take him) and we will talk about Kakko or Laffy but if we do the price has to go up.

Given that we have plenty of cap room that means that we may be the ONLY logical destination for some players with big contracts.  I am not sure we even need to give up any picks this year.  On the other hand sellers always think they will come away with a King's ransom which is why deals at the wire reflect actual market prices.

On 2/2/2022 at 11:25 AM, EM31 said:

I would give up Kakko so fast. He has really disappointed me this season. I'm not ready to give up on Laf just yet.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Big win after a long break. Maybe I’m biased but Igor is the Vezina winner. 

Igor was great.  Team was a bit rusty but the Bruins are still a good team and we bagged the two points in the end.

3rd defensive pair of Schneider and Zack Jones looked good too.,  Maybe we don't need to add defensive help at the deadline or maybe Jones is being showcased.

9 hours ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Big win after a long break. Maybe I’m biased but Igor is the Vezina winner. 

Yes, and boy was I ready for some Rangers hockey last night. Two weeks off at this time of the year just brutal.

Great win though. Really had to grind it out against Bruins

2 hours ago, shawn306 said:

Yes, and boy was I ready for some Rangers hockey last night. Two weeks off at this time of the year just brutal.

Great win though. Really had to grind it out against Bruins

They were without Marchand and Bergeron and we were rusty as hell.  Good win but we will need to be more on our toes against a young and frisky Red Wings team in Thursday night or things might not end up as well for us as this one did.

• 2 weeks later...

Rangers continue booking wins. This one against a sleepwalking Capitals team tonight.  Penguins on Saturday in a matinee game.

People openly discussing Shesterkin as a live Hart trophy candidate which is astonishing and rare for a goaltender to be in that conversation.

I hate matinee games.  3PM just feels so wrong.  I don't have any data to support this position but if feels like the Rangers do not do as well in these kinds of games.  In any event it is what it is and I have been waiting all year to see how we match up with the Pens.  #2 vs. #3 in the Metropolitan and 2nd place on the line directly in this game.

Good stuff.

Go Rangers!

12 hours ago, EM31 said:

I hate matinee games.  3PM just feels so wrong.  I don't have any data to support this position but if feels like the Rangers do not do as well in these kinds of games.  In any event it is what it is and I have been waiting all year to see how we match up with the Pens.  #2 vs. #3 in the Metropolitan and 2nd place on the line directly in this game.

Good stuff.

Go Rangers!

They played them straight up! Tough loss. Zigs had a good opportunity with 12 seconds to pay as well as a few others. Hard to believe Malkin (goal) Crosby and Letang have been together for over 10 years. I hope we’ll be able to say the same for some of our young stars.

I was thinking a few days ago about potential players the Rangers could trade and a name not mentioned in rumors is Alex Lafreniere. He was the overall no 1 pick in the previous years draft and seemed like a disappointment. Earlier in the season the coach started playing him less and I was thinking maybe he was giving up on him. But recently that might have changed. He seems to finally be getting it and you’re seeing some of the talent level that led to his super high draft position. He is making sometimes great passes is showing skills at a high level. If he keeps it up he could maybe be a top player. He’s got a way to go right now he has 12 goals and 4 assists not what they expected but again it looks like he’s starting to get it. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/28/2022 at 12:14 AM, Rangers9 said:

I was thinking a few days ago about potential players the Rangers could trade and a name not mentioned in rumors is Alex Lafreniere. He was the overall no 1 pick in the previous years draft and seemed like a disappointment. Earlier in the season the coach started playing him less and I was thinking maybe he was giving up on him. But recently that might have changed. He seems to finally be getting it and you’re seeing some of the talent level that led to his super high draft position. He is making sometimes great passes is showing skills at a high level. If he keeps it up he could maybe be a top player. He’s got a way to go right now he has 12 goals and 4 assists not what they expected but again it looks like he’s starting to get it. 

I would think that he would be as close to an untouchable that they have on this team. Patience.

On 3/1/2022 at 12:27 PM, section314 said:

I would think that he would be as close to an untouchable that they have on this team. Patience.

He has a goal tonight his 13th. I wouldn’t call him an untouchable but he’s improving but still not at the high level you’d expect from an overall 1. 

10 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

He has a goal tonight his 13th. I wouldn’t call him an untouchable but he’s improving but still not at the high level you’d expect from an overall 1. 

I am and have been since they moved here, a Devils fan. Had season tix for 20 years. Look at Jack Hughes. It's taken 3 years of getting through injuries, learning and getting stronger for him to start showing why he was the #1 pick. He now is averaging over a point/game, on a team , to be charitable, that is clearly lacking overall high end talent. Your guy is a similar talent, Give him time. Teams would knock down your door to get him.

• Upvote 1

On 2/28/2022 at 12:14 AM, Rangers9 said:

I would not include him in any deal. The kid is 20 years old. He is still growing.  Sometimes you have to give these kids some time to grow and mature. 

I would bet you right now the Senators still wish they had Zibanejad or the Blackhawks still had Panarin. I would even be hesitant to deal Kakko right now. (Although for the right deal I might put him in there.)

5 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

I would not include him in any deal. The kid is 20 years old. He is still growing.  Sometimes you have to give these kids some time to grow and mature. 

I would bet you right now the Senators still wish they had Zibanejad or the Blackhawks still had Panarin. I would even be hesitant to deal Kakko right now. (Although for the right deal I might put him in there.)

You guys have the incredible luxury of having so many really good offensive players that you can be patient with the two kids and just let them develop and find their way. 

6 hours ago, shawn306 said:

Kakko needs to get healthy but even there you just do not trade the #1 overall or the #2 overall,

Unless it brings back a true superstar in return and none of those are on offer,

Rangers have 32 Million in cap room and they have a loaded talent pipeline with which to make any deals,  We may have to give up a Zack Jones or a Lundquist because we have a bit of a log jam of young defensemen.  We may have to eat some contract dollars but we can do that too,  No need to trade Laffy or Kapo at this point.  In fact it is a terrible idea unless the talent coming back is Eichel level or better

• Upvote 1

Mini-slump over followed by three wins in a row.  Tuesday (3/8) will be tough because it feels like the Wild match up against us better than the Blues (3/10) or Dallas (3/12).  Maybe Georgie gets the start on Tuesday.

• 2 weeks later...