AVT with an elite game (PFF)

Rhg1084

1 minute ago, phill1c said:

Vs. Van Rotten, who's been rotten.

I know that you want to build continuity with the OL, but at some point you owe it to rest of the offense to give someone else a shot.  Never thought I would say this after watching the pre-season, but I think I would rather see Feeney in there.  Or even give Isaiah Williams a shot.

17 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

We need Becton out there. Apparently he is the only guy that can run block

Hopefully he can play this year. It’ll be helpful to see him and AVT on the left side for a few games. Really, we have to find out if Becton can hold up against the pass at LT since we already know he can run block. 

13 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The entire OL sucked until yesterday.  It wasn't  just Becton

yesterday you didnt see a good defensive line in front of the jets offensive line like you did the previous three weeks.  they jets offensive line will "regress" when they go against good linemen.  The jets have a manpower issue on the line and it didnt go away yesterday.  It just wasnt exposed as it was going against good players.  The Titans line is poor. 

AVT missed time in camp and in pre season and you would think he’s a season vet the way he’s been playing. 

On the other hand, I do not like how JD has not committed to the center position. I think we should’ve signed Corey Linsley last year and possibly moved McGovern to RG? Center is such a important position. We need to get that fixed. 

While AVT is definitely the best thing they have going on the interior line, I'm just going to be the one to say it... he's still seeming to have some problems with picking up parts of the zone blocking scheme at times.  He's certainly successful when actually engaging in blocks, which is of course an amazing feat with this line, but he's also had his own share of plays blocking no one while nearby defenders are flying into the backfield.  Those aren't really marked against him since he wasn't beaten per se, but is part of the ongoing issue when there are simple execution failures happening on top of the poor play of others on the line.

Now of course that gets into the question of scheme vs coaching vs player performance, but until some of that starts getting more clearly sorted out, I'm not ready to hop on the AVT "elite" train just yet.

4 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

We have to see what either Moses or Becton can do inside.

Can’t have one of those tackles sitting with Greg Van Roten starting. That is a man who truly lives up to his name.

I know it's hard, but if by the bye week Becton can practice at all it would be so great to try him at RG and see how he would do, or if they want to put him back to LT maybe as you are saying have Fant try RG since Moses is now getting a comfort level at his natural RT position.  

5 hours ago, jetswin said:

I did see McGovern blocking air again on one replay, we've got that zone covered.  Only negative for AVT imo was second consecutive illegal downfield pass blocker penalty in as many weeks

You'd think McGovern coming out of Denver would be so familiar with Zone blocking... That's a head scratcher to me.