PFF Grades for Week 4

NFL fans like qualitative data that seems quantitative. PFF had made a lot of money off of it. Their “grades” are no different than Mel Kipers post-draft grades. No real substance, but good click bait. 

The only ones who can effectively grade these players are the coaches as they are the ones who know each players assignment on a particular play. 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

It was literally the same play several times. And the Jets were out of position every single time.

Apart from the critical one late in the game to McNichols that Quincy read and completely blew up….encouraging as it at least showed some adjustment and ability to learn from mistakes

• Upvote 1

My issue with PFF, and all the recent-ish analytical stuff in sports in general, is that they're putting rating numbers on human beings. They're a good tool sometimes in regards to sports betting or just who's the better team, etc. It's not always that simple though.

Just my late night opinion. 

Its obviously limited.  They don't know assignments, so they have to throw out a lot of data (where things look ambiguous) which can lead to a very high or low score based on only a few plays.  Still you can see when someone is in man coverage and how they do in the 1-1 (which they grade based on the quality of the opponent) and they tend to weigh that stuff pretty heavily.

As far as their weights, they tend to grade run defense much more highly than passrushing and they really knock people for penalties very severely.

What they really miss are the communicators.  The people that call out the defense.  That simply never shows up.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jet9 said:

My issue with PFF, and all the recent-ish analytical stuff in sports in general, is that they're putting rating numbers on human beings. They're a good tool sometimes in regards to sports betting or just who's the better team, etc. It's not always that simple though.

Just my late night opinion. 

Kids were doing this with Madden since it's inception. I remember showing my dad as a kid that I knew who the fast players in the NFL were purely by sorting by speed haha

15 hours ago, Jet9 said:

My issue with PFF, and all the recent-ish analytical stuff in sports in general, is that they're putting rating numbers on human beings.

So should we stop keeping track of stuff like yardage, touchdowns, yards per carry, sacks, etc then?  Those are analytics too.  

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Kids were doing this with Madden since it's inception. I remember showing my dad as a kid that I knew who the fast players in the NFL were purely by sorting by speed haha

I agree. I'm 42, totally a part of that generation. NHL, NFL, MLB, NBA Jam (I'm old) video games, yep I get it.  That said, Mike Vick was rated a 99 at one time and everyone lost their sh*t thinking he was the greatest QB ever. He wasn't. Not even close. Not the best QB of his era even. Guy was good for SportsCenter highlights if we're being honest. I think PFF's whole deal is to make humans who play football into Madden players and in real life it's just BS. There's SO many variables.

I remember Kyle Wilson being rated super high by them. 'Well, if you look at his 2nd and short snaps he's....'

Get the **** out of here. That guy SUCKED. PFF is a grift. Sorry. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jet9 said:

I agree. I'm 42, totally a part of that generation. NHL, NFL, MLB, NBA Jam (I'm old) video games, yep I get it.  That said, Mike Vick was rated a 99 at one time and everyone lost their sh*t thinking he was the greatest QB ever. He wasn't. Not even close. Not the best QB of his era even. Guy was good for SportsCenter highlights if we're being honest. I think PFF's whole deal is to make humans who play football into Madden players and in real life it's just BS. There's SO many variables.

I remember Kyle Wilson being rated super high by them. 'Well, if you look at his 2nd and short snaps he's....'

Get the **** out of here. That guy SUCKED. PFF is a grift. Sorry. 

PFF isn't the end all be all but unlike Madden they at least say they have a system to determine their rankings. I tend to use it when Free Agency comes around to help identify potential targets, then you still have to watch the film and see if it's backed up on tape. Think of PFF like the combine, tells a nice story but an incomplete one without more context.

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So should we stop keeping track of stuff like yardage, touchdowns, yards per carry, sacks, etc then?  Those are analytics too.  

PFF is subjective analysis. It's not really the same.

67 pass blocking rating, 58 overall. Below average apparently.

Trash website. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jet9 said:

I feel that sometimes it gets so in depth that it becomes nonsense.

The teams that are most successful are the ones using the most analytics.  And the numbers teams are using are much, much more in-depth than what PFF provides, and NFL teams probably laugh at them. 

Might as well get used to it.

• Upvote 1

I think the PFF grades are more than Mel Kiper's stuff. There's substance and analytics. AND players and teams rely on them when it comes to contracts. Not solely on them, but significantly.

I think Mosely and Williams didn't get great grades because Henry had over 150 yards. But, hey, it's like they used to say about Barry Sanders, "you can't stop him; you can only hope to contain him..." and the Jets did that.

It must really hurt the day after Tennessee.

1 hour ago, phill1c said:

I think the PFF grades are more than Mel Kiper's stuff. There's substance and analytics. AND players and teams rely on them when it comes to contracts. Not solely on them, but significantly.

I think Mosely and Williams didn't get great grades because Henry had over 150 yards. But, hey, it's like they used to say about Barry Sanders, "you can't stop him; you can only hope to contain him..." and the Jets did that.

It must really hurt the day after Tennessee.

This is a big reason why I think we lose to Atlanta this week, sadly.  A young defense gassed from handling Henry having to face the likes of Calvin Ridley, Kyle Pitts and a pretty good RB duo in Mike Davis-Cordarrelle Patterson, with a bunch of jet lag thrown into the mix to boot?  I don't care how bad the Falcons/Matt Ryan have been so far this season.  This will not end well unless the offense puts up a ton of points. 

Reminds me of when Seattle's Legion of Boom was at its peak, and how teams who faced Seattle tended to lose the week after playing them, at a very high rate.

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The teams that are most successful are the ones using the most analytics.  And the numbers teams are using are much, much more in-depth than what PFF provides, and NFL teams probably laugh at them. 

One of the single biggest reasons why we've had the worst teams in football for the last decade is that we were analytics illiterate.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I am not opposed to analytics, not at all. But the respect that site gets for what is clear to me a very flawed system, is nuts. But also, and I see this in sports betting, is people who are ONLY about that stuff. The human element is ignored. JMO. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This is a big reason why I think we lose to Atlanta this week, sadly.  A young defense gassed from handling Henry having to face the likes of Calvin Ridley, Kyle Pitts and a pretty good RB duo in Mike Davis-Cordarrelle Patterson, with a bunch of jet lag thrown into the mix to boot?  I don't care how bad the Falcons/Matt Ryan have been so far this season.  This will not end well unless the offense puts up a ton of points. 

Reminds me of when Seattle's Legion of Boom was at its peak, and how teams who faced Seattle tended to lose the week after playing them, at a very high rate.

I don't think we lose to Atlanta. I don't think Atlanta has a good team. I think Ryan is overrated and OLD. Beyond that, their defense isn't highly rated.

We're hungry. They will be fine. I'm sure their strength and conditioning coaches were all over it. We won't lose to ATlanta because we did 100 snaps against Tennessee. is my opinion.

13 minutes ago, phill1c said:

I don't think we lose to Atlanta. I don't think Atlanta has a good team. I think Ryan is overrated and OLD. Beyond that, their defense isn't highly rated.

We're hungry. They will be fine. I'm sure their strength and conditioning coaches were all over it. We won't lose to ATlanta because we did 100 snaps against Tennessee. is my opinion.

This game could be a shoot out.  The Jets DL should dominate Ryan/Falcons OL, but Jet LB play will be critical.  The Falcons D is terrible, so there is potential for the Jets to score.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, varjet said:

This game could be a shoot out.  The Jets DL should dominate Ryan/Falcons OL, but Jet LB play will be critical.  The Falcons D is terrible, so there is potential for the Jets to score.  

I'm just hoping there won't be a step back, but that's just my SOJ fears...

On 10/4/2021 at 11:52 AM, jetscanes331 said:

Real nice to see some of the young guys grading out nicely. Sherwood is an example.

As always with PFF I agree with the good rankings and the bad ones are way off.

I was reminicing the days when I was told over and over that Sherwood would be too light to play his position and abused