What happened? What will happen (Mims)?

What happened? What will happen? (Mims)?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. What happened (Mims)?

• Denzel Mims was an Adam Gasese draft pick and doesn't fit our current offense
    • Jets recognized personal character flaws in him
    • Jets underestimated how good Keelan Cole is making Mims expendable
    • Jets overcompensate being so thin at wide receiver in years past and now have too many wide receivers with equal talent
    • Simply tough luck with Mims getting food poisoning and it truly affected him, has been playing catch-up ever since
    • Other
  2. 2. What will happen (Mims)?

• Over the next several weeks Mims proves his worth and becomes a starter
    • Denzel Mims will be traded at the deadline
    • Wr other than Denzel Mims will be traded at the deadline opening up playing time
    • Denzel Mims emerges once and inevitable injury occurs and he gets his chance
    • Mims continue to sit the entire year/limited playing time and we continue to be told that he needs to earn his spot
    • Other

What happend?

These last several months have got me thinking what truly happened with the Denzel Mims situation. this player has way too much talent to be riding the bench . So what is really happening?  Was Denzel Mims actually an Adam Gasese draft pick and doesn't fit our current offense? Did the Jets recognized personal character flaws in him? Did they underestimate how good Keelan Cole is making Mims expendable ? Did the Jets overcompensate being so thin at wide receiver in years past and now have too many wide receivers with equal talent ? Was it simply tough luck with Mims getting food poisoning and it truly affecting him and has been playing catch-up ever since?

What will happen?

Over the next several weeks Mims proves his worth and becomes a starter? Will Denzel Mims be traded at the deadline? A Wr other than Denzel Mims will be traded at the deadline opening up playing time? Denzel Mims emerges once and inevitable injury occurs and he gets his chance?l Mims continue to sit the entire year and we continue to be told that Mims needs to earn his spot? 

I really think it's a Gase pick and his skill set is a rough match for this scheme. As an aside, this type of thing is one of the costs associated with repeatedly changing coaches and GM's. You lose draft value due to scheme change. Teams like the Steelers and Pats don't lose this type of value and it helps them have more consistent success.

Hopefully Mims can learn to be a good route runner to make himself a better scheme fit. Otherwise he's likely traded or released at some point.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I really think it's a Gase pick and his skill set is a rough match for this scheme. As an aside, this type of thing is one of the costs associated with repeatedly changing coaches and GM's. You lose draft value due to scheme change. 

Hopefully Mims can learn to be a good route runner to make himself a better scheme fit. Otherwise he's likely traded or released at some point.

Great post BM.. Thanks for the response. But I can remember during the combines where memes Mims was touted as a pretty good route runner . Or at least he wasn't a bad one. Wasn't there something about him being excellent with the cones and cutting ability ? this is so strange

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, BP said:

Maybe mims can make it to a future JN tailgate and we can finally find out the truth.

I think what will happen is that Mims will continue to stay on the roster until the Jets can find a 6th receiver who is better than he is.  Or trade him for a  5th round pick.  Unfortunately, that is all he is worth at this point.

If either one doesn't happen, then he makes the team next year, which is part of his original contract, and he is gone after that.

I have a different answer: The Jets coaches currently would rather put in place a supposedly proven scheme and build a culture rather than design game plans, plays, and routes specifically for the players they have.   Both Moore and Mims bring skill sets that allow for scheming specifically for them (Mims presents a significant matchup problem 1 on 1 going deep on the outside, which is also a big part of Zach Wilson's game), but I haven't seen it yet.  I guess I'm hoping it's because it's year 1 and right now they care more about culture than anything else, including the win total in 2021.  If we're in year 2/3, contending for the playoffs, and still doing it, I'll be concerned.

Mims missed OTAs, likely knew his assignments least out of all the WRs in training camp, and got put in the doghouse as a result.  Regardless of talent it seems the coaches care more about culture at this point.  Personally I don't like it because I do think using vertical routes with Mims gives them a better chance to win, but I'll let it slide in year 1.  Not afterwards though.  The "phone booth" offense is not a good fit for Zach WIlson and LaFleur/Saleh need to wake up on that.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Mims is the type of player who has always relied on his physical traits to be better than his opponent. Now that he is in NFL and everyone, whether on offense or defense, is as strong, fast and has the same skill set, he does nothing to differentiate himself. The football gods made him into a specimen, he has done nothing to make himself elite.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

12 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Mims is the type of player who has always relied on his physical traits to be better than his opponent. Now that he is in NFL and everyone, whether on offense or defense, is as strong, fast and has the same skill set, he does nothing to differentiate himself. The football gods made him into a specimen, he has done nothing to make himself elite.

Jet fans:  Everyone in the league is an awesome athlete

Also Jet fans: Our linebackers and defensive backs are slow as turtles and can't tackle

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

I have a different answer: The Jets coaches currently would rather put in place a supposedly proven scheme and build a culture rather than design game plans, plays, and routes specifically for the players they have.   Both Moore and Mims bring skill sets that allow for scheming specifically for them (Mims presents a significant matchup problem 1 on 1 going deep on the outside, which is also a big part of Zach Wilson's game), but I haven't seen it yet.  I guess I'm hoping it's because it's year 1 and right now they care more about culture than anything else, including the win total in 2021.  If we're in year 2/3, contending for the playoffs, and still doing it, I'll be concerned.

Mims missed OTAs, likely knew his assignments least out of all the WRs in training camp, and got put in the doghouse as a result.  Regardless of talent it seems the coaches care more about culture at this point.  Personally I don't like it because I do think using vertical routes with Mims gives them a better chance to win, but I'll let it slide in year 1.  Not afterwards though.  The "phone booth" offense is not a good fit for Zach WIlson and LaFleur/Saleh need to wake up on that.

Excellent take JC. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Mimsy is going to be a star here but it wont be till next year.  Crowder and Cole wont be here next year so Moore will slide into the slot and Mimsy will start on the outside opposite Davis.

Hes getting a redshirt year to learn this offense.  But he will be huge for us next year when its his turn.

spot on!!

like Joe said Crowder and Davis are gone next year so why trade Mims now. he and Moore will be starters next year.

i know alot of you expected Mims and Moore to start over Cole and Crowder but that was never going to happen. i think the plan was always to give Zach veteran WRs in his 1st year. and this is a good problem to have. they will learn on the bench and there here in case of injury instead of having Berrios and Cager starting games for us.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, doitny said:

spot on!!

like Joe said Crowder and Davis are gone next year so why trade Mims now. he and Moore will be starters next year.

i know alot of you expected Mims and Moore to start over Cole and Crowder but that was never going to happen. i think the plan was always to give Zach veteran WRs in his 1st year. and this is a good problem to have. they will learn on the bench and there here in case of injury instead of having Berrios and Cager starting games for us.

Bingo.  It is why they havent traded Mimsy.  He doesnt cost much and after a year in this offense, he will be a really good player for us next year.  

The best thing about Joe Douglas and Saleh is their patience.  There is no rush to do anything right now.  We are in a ground up rebuild and it will take time.  

We will be competing for a Super Bowl in the 2023 season so stay patient Jets fans.  Our time is almost here.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

no telling what's going on with mims.  as others have said he's got a ton of physical talent and the jets should be able to use him. obviously it could be lafleur but it could also be an attitude issue or a just plain not knowing his position.  right now he's valuable because he backs up davis.  as we saw on sunday using the back ups like berrios just didn't work out very well when compared to how much crowder helped the passing game.  the jets don't have the luxury of starting back ups. 

• Upvote 1

It's really rather simple actually.  Mims was wildly overrated around here when being graded on the infamous Herndon-curve.  With an influx of talent at the position, there then became little room for a guy who is incapable of contributing in any of the areas that backups from across the entire roster are needed, making him the odd man out.

Even just in terms of his WR abilities, he's not particularly good at getting separation with the one justification being his supposed greatness at winning contested balls, although even that is unsupported by the fact that he had one of the lowest completion rates when thrown to last year, which is saying a lot considering how little we all thought of that entire group not named Crowder.  Even if that were actually true, I don't think Saleh, LaFleur, nor anyone would/should be encouraging Wilson to force balls to blanketed receivers.

He may get his chance eventually, but he still has to improve and earn that opportunity, and until then they're far more worried about putting Wilson in his best chance to succeed, and it's blatantly obvious they have more confidence in the rest of the WRs ability to do that than Mims.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

9 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Bingo.  It is why they havent traded Mimsy.  He doesnt cost much and after a year in this offense, he will be a really good player for us next year.  

The best thing about Joe Douglas and Saleh is their patience.  There is no rush to do anything right now.  We are in a ground up rebuild and it will take time.  

We will be competing for a Super Bowl in the 2023 season so stay patient Jets fans.  Our time is almost here.

Definitly glass half full look at it. I hope you are correct 

54 minutes ago, Claymation said:

That argument would more hold weight but it falters because in the few instances Mims has been on the field, he’s produced!!! 

Then you state this:

Now that he is in NFL and everyone, whether on offense or defense, is as strong, fast and has the same skill set, he does nothing to differentiate himself.

It’s ironic that he can’t differentiate himself from the league’s talent, it may be that he has the same skill/athletic traits like everyone else, but if you have watched the Jets the past 6 years, WE’VE been starving for a WR with those traits to simply be on the roster. Mims has all that and has shown that he can contribute when given the chance. 

His skill set is enough to differentiate himself from the rest of the WRs on this roster alone ( “…and C. Davis has no hops” lol, F! that kid) and his vertical game is what Wilson’s game needs to be successful. 

what Sterling Sharpe:Favre

Mims:Wilson

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, doitny said:

spot on!!

Mims is under a relatively cheap contract for 2022 and 2023. 

Davis and Moore are under contract in 2022 and 2023 (and more 2024).

This is the last year of Cole’s and Crowder’s contracts.  

Mims may not be a scheme fit, but if Wilson is rolling out and throwing contestable balls, Mims should be good at that. 

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Mimsy is going to be a star here but it wont be till next year.  Crowder and Cole wont be here next year so Moore will slide into the slot and Mimsy will start on the outside opposite Davis.

Hes getting a redshirt year to learn this offense.  But he will be huge for us next year when its his turn.

I don’t share your blind homer optimism, but I hope you’re right because Mimsi has traits the rest of our WR core lacks (and Cole, Crowder, and Berrios possibly gone as FA) and our WR talent and depth will plummet in’22 with those possible defections. 

• Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

That argument would more hold weight but it falters because in the few instances Mims has been on the field, he’s produced!!! 

2021 - 1 reception for 40 yards in two games played.

2020 - 24 receptions for 397 yards in 11 games played.

I'm must be missing the few instances of production besides one 40 yard catch. 

You don't change your scheme for one player, and especially for someone like Mims who is not exactly a game breaker.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 2

Now Mims is Sterling Sharpe?  Are you serious? 

The guy has produced?  He has a 53% catch rate and averages 35 ypg.  He also has not been the most durable guy in the world.   He seems very much like Chris Conley.  If we are lucky he will turn into Robert Meachem.  Sterling Sharpe?  

People want to kill the OC for the way he runs the offense and then insist that he plays guys that don't help him run his offense.  This sh*t seems counterproductive and silly to me and I was a big proponent of taking Mims in the draft. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Now Mims is Sterling Sharpe?  Are you serious? 

The guy has produced?  He has a 53% catch rate and averages 35 ypg.  He also have not been the most durable guy in the world.   He seems very much like Chris Conley.  If we are lucky he will turn into Robert Meachem.  Sterling Sharpe?  

People want to kill the OC for the way he runs the offense and then insist that he plays guys that don't help him run his offense.  This sh*t seems counterproductive and silly to me and I was a big proponent of taking Mims in the draft. 

I don't like to appeal to authority, but in this case I will. I do not think for one second that coach Saleh is sacrificing wins and production because Mims is not a scheme fit. The juice is apparently not worth the squeeze. 

1 minute ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

2021 - 1 reception for 40 yards in two games played.

Ingenious citation since he’s only been active what? 2/4 games?

1 minute ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

2020 - 24 receptions for 397 yards in 11 games played.

I'm must be missing the few instances of production besides one 40 yard catch. 

You don't change your scheme for one player, and especially for someone like Mims who is not exactly a game breaker.

Get your $hit straight: he only played 9 games and started in 8, not 11.  So 24/397 for a rookie isn’t too bad considering the time missed and that horror show of 2020.

No one saying the scheme has to be changed, so clam up with your garbage. He has traits that are on par with the league and what this Jets WR corp. has lacked FOR YEARS!

Agree to disagree because …..

You’re missing quite a lot actually, lol. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Ingenious citation since he’s only been active what? 2/4 games?

That sounds like a Mims problem now, doesn't it?

Just now, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Get your $hit straight: he only played 9 games and started in 8, not 11.

That makes it even worse. The guy can't stay healthy and get on the field, and he is not very productive when he does play. Guys who get open get passes thrown to them.

• Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

That sounds like a Mims problem now, doesn't it?

That makes it even worse. The guy can't stay healthy and get on the field, and he is not very productive when he does play. Guys who get open get passes thrown to them.

Not disagreeing about the health issues last year or this year, I’m arguing that his natural skill set and game matches what Wilson does best; the excuses LaFleur gives for not playing is BS IMO. 

Wilson needs a tall WR who can go deep and has length. I believe Mims’ natural game nicely compliments Wilson’s natural game. Simple as that. You disagree, that’s fine, I could care less if you disagree and see it differently. We disagree on whether Mims can/will contribute, we’ll see. 

• Thumb Down 1