What happened? What will happen (Mims)?

What happened? What will happen? (Mims)?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. What happened (Mims)?

• Denzel Mims was an Adam Gasese draft pick and doesn't fit our current offense
    • Jets recognized personal character flaws in him
    • Jets underestimated how good Keelan Cole is making Mims expendable
    • Jets overcompensate being so thin at wide receiver in years past and now have too many wide receivers with equal talent
    • Simply tough luck with Mims getting food poisoning and it truly affected him, has been playing catch-up ever since
    • Other
  2. 2. What will happen (Mims)?

• Over the next several weeks Mims proves his worth and becomes a starter
    • Denzel Mims will be traded at the deadline
    • Wr other than Denzel Mims will be traded at the deadline opening up playing time
    • Denzel Mims emerges once and inevitable injury occurs and he gets his chance
    • Mims continue to sit the entire year/limited playing time and we continue to be told that he needs to earn his spot
    • Other

51 minutes ago, doitny said:

spot on!!

like Joe said Crowder and Davis are gone next year so why trade Mims now. he and Moore will be starters next year.

i know alot of you expected Mims and Moore to start over Cole and Crowder but that was never going to happen. i think the plan was always to give Zach veteran WRs in his 1st year. and this is a good problem to have. they will learn on the bench and there here in case of injury instead of having Berrios and Cager starting games for us.

Yes, except I think they will draft another WR with one of their top picks and Mims et al will have new competition. And that's a good thing!

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

It's really rather simple actually.  Mims was wildly overrated around here when being graded on the infamous Herndon-curve.  With an influx of talent at the position, there then became little room for a guy who is incapable of contributing in any of the areas that backups from across the entire roster are needed, making him the odd man out.

Even just in terms of his WR abilities, he's not particularly good at getting separation with the one justification being his supposed greatness at winning contested balls, although even that is unsupported by the fact that he had one of the lowest completion rates when thrown to last year, which is saying a lot considering how little we all thought of that entire group not named Crowder.  Even if that were actually true, I don't think Saleh, LaFleur, nor anyone would/should be encouraging Wilson to force balls to blanketed receivers.

He may get his chance eventually, but he still has to improve and earn that opportunity, and until then they're far more worried about putting Wilson in his best chance to succeed, and it's blatantly obvious they have more confidence in the rest of the WRs ability to do that than Mims.

some would argue that he was wildly overrated by the GM as well.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Not disagreeing about the health issues last year or this year, I’m arguing that his natural skill set and game matches what Wilson does best; the excuses LaFleur gives for not playing is BS IMO. 

Wilson needs a tall WR who can go deep and has length. I believe Mims’ natural game nicely compliments Wilson’s natural game. Simple as that. You disagree, that’s fine, I could care less if you disagree and see it differently. We disagree on whether Mims can/will contribute, we’ll see. 

We don't have to disagree. Mims is not contributing, and that is a Mims problem, not a me disagreeing problem. Give your thumb's down, and move on. 

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Ingenious citation since he’s only been active what? 2/4 games?

Get your $hit straight: he only played 9 games and started in 8, not 11.  So 24/397 for a rookie isn’t too bad considering the time missed and that horror show of 2020.

No one saying the scheme has to be changed, so clam up with your garbage. He has traits that are on par with the league and what this Jets WR corp. has lacked FOR YEARS!

Agree to disagree because …..

You’re missing quite a lot actually, lol. 

You're the one lol'ing? 

It was 23 for 357.  You want to complain that he was only active for 1 game (it was 2) but then attribute his 2021 statistics to his rookie year?  Extrapolated over a full season he'd have gone That is 33 for  519 with no TDs.  You can wash away some of the concerns about his catch rate because there was nobody else there, but slip side is that you'd think he'd have done better/scored too. 

He has traits?  My ******* hero.  So he can run and he's tall?  There have never been any unsuccessful receivers with those traits, have there?  I'm not even saying he will be unsuccessful, but the idea that our brand new staff should bend everything they do for this guy is insane.  Is there anything he does better than Breshad Perriman?  I can't imagine anyone around here banging the drum to get Perriman on the field.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

We don't have to disagree. Mims is not contributing, and that is a Mims problem, not a me disagreeing problem. Give your thumb's down, and move on. 

No.

we do disagree. 

it’s not a Mims problem, it’s a Roster management problem.

YOU are not correct in your assertion nor am I in my opinion because the CS has given BS roundabout answers in why he’s not getting playing time with a depleted WR Corp. that could use more size. If you believe their mulark, all the power to you. Lol

But I will thumb you down since you asked. 

I’ll move on when I’m ready, if you dont like it, too bad lol

• Thumb Down 1

41 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You're the one lol'ing? 

It was 23 for 357.  You want to complain that he was only active for 1 game (it was 2) but then attribute his 2021 statistics to his rookie year?  Extrapolated over a full season he'd have gone That is 33 for  519 with no TDs.  You can wash away some of the concerns about his catch rate because there was nobody else there, but slip side is that you'd think he'd have done better/scored too. 

He has traits?  My ******* hero.  So he can run and he's tall?  There have never been any unsuccessful receivers with those traits, have there?  I'm not even saying he will be unsuccessful, but the idea that our brand new staff should bend everything they do for this guy is insane.  Is there anything he does better than Breshad Perriman?  I can't imagine anyone around here banging the drum to get Perriman on the field.

Lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

That argument would more hold weight but it falters because in the few instances Mims has been on the field, he’s produced!!! 

Then you state this:

Now that he is in NFL and everyone, whether on offense or defense, is as strong, fast and has the same skill set, he does nothing to differentiate himself.

It’s ironic that he can’t differentiate himself from the league’s talent, it may be that he has the same skill/athletic traits like everyone else, but if you have watched the Jets the past 6 years, WE’VE been starving for a WR with those traits to simply be on the roster. Mims has all that and has shown that he can contribute when given the chance. 

His skill set is enough to differentiate himself from the rest of the WRs on this roster alone ( “…and C. Davis has no hops” lol, F! that kid) and his vertical game is what Wilson’s game needs to be successful. 

what Sterling Sharpe:Favre

Mims:Wilson

Davis > Mims, there is a reason the kid isn't playing, it is because Mims doesn't know what to do. He is an average route runner at best with a DB sticking to him like flypaper.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

For the What Happened question, how is "he's simply not that good" not an option?

Definitly a fair point, but honestly it didnt cross my mind. 

Do you really think that?

I mean he has produced just about every opportunity presented to him, no?

2 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

For the What Happened question, how is "he's simply not that good" not an option?

Sarcastically: What!? How could you say that. He's 6 foot 55 inches and he runs a sub 4!

Realistically: You're probably right. It's probably, in part, him absorbing the offense and playbook along with his work ethic. This coaching staff seems to really value mental bandwidth. 

More Importantly: I can't wait until we stop talking about Mims. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

Davis > Mims, there is a reason the kid isn't playing, it is because Mims doesn't know what to do. He is an average route runner at best with a DB sticking to him like flypaper.

I think this is pretty accurate. The coaching staff NEEDS him to be versatile enough to play ST, but he isn't a good fit there as receiver or blocker/tackler. I think his lack of understanding the playbook overshadows his potential talent on the field. If the coaches don't trust him to be in the correct position to line up/run routes, than they're doing Zach a disservice by putting a handicap on the field that will make the game harder on #2.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Mimsy is going to be a star here but it wont be till next year.  Crowder and Cole wont be here next year so Moore will slide into the slot and Mimsy will start on the outside opposite Davis.

Hes getting a redshirt year to learn this offense.  But he will be huge for us next year when its his turn.

Can we please not call him Mimsy? You make him sound like my Aunt or something

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Has issues getting separation, doesn’t play to his size or 40 time. Obviously there’s something they don’t like about either his attitude or ability to learn the offence, probably both.

He could work through these issues and be a late bloomer but people need to stop searching for conspiracies and realise he was always a very flawed prospect. The way people talk about his talent here you’d think he’s Ja’Marr Chase. He was highly touted by the talking heads but he fell to us for a reason. 

Mims was a big investment for Douglas, it’s likely why he’s even on the team. The organisation has every reason to get him going. They obviously don’t feel he brings enough to the team. That’s all there is to it.

3 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

No.

we do disagree. 

it’s not a Mims problem, it’s a Roster management problem.

YOU are not correct in your assertion nor am I in my opinion because the CS has given BS roundabout answers in why he’s not getting playing time with a depleted WR Corp. that could use more size. If you believe their mulark, all the power to you. Lol

But I will thumb you down since you asked. 

I’ll move on when I’m ready, if you dont like it, too bad lol

I agree that Mims is not a scheme fit, and he is not doing enough to beat out JAG Jeff Smith. 

You don't have to move on, and you're welcomed to continue being wrong. 

6 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Mimsy is going to be a star here but it wont be till next year.  Crowder and Cole wont be here next year so Moore will slide into the slot and Mimsy will start on the outside opposite Davis.

Hes getting a redshirt year to learn this offense.  But he will be huge for us next year when its his turn.

I'd keep Cole and dump Berrios.  Cole is cheap and a much beter WR than Berrios.  Crowder is good as gone. Great WR but he's getting a better contract and was gone the day JD slashed his contract.  He's a perfect fit for a contender.  Next year, Davis, Cole, Mims, Moore and maybe sign a couple off the practice squad. I dont see us signing any FA WR or drafting one.  Next year its Mims time.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FloridaJetsFan said:

I think this is pretty accurate. The coaching staff NEEDS him to be versatile enough to play ST, but he isn't a good fit there as receiver or blocker/tackler. I think his lack of understanding the playbook overshadows his potential talent on the field. If the coaches don't trust him to be in the correct position to line up/run routes, than they're doing Zach a disservice by putting a handicap on the field that will make the game harder on #2.

Sorry but I have a eally hard time seeing this as being the case.  The kid was lights out at Baylor. Was projected as a first rounder.  Even Terrel Owens was pingoen holed for awhile before breaking out. Something is up with how his attiude is percieved.  He got to much talent and skillset to just let him rot. If you dont like him, play him and show him so his trade value is there.  AS a 2nd rounder, he's worth NOTHING right now, Hackenberg like which is just shameful.  

5 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

I'd keep Cole and dump Berrios.  Cole is cheap and a much beter WR than Berrios.  Crowder is good as gone. Great WR but he's getting a better contract and was gone the day JD slashed his contract.  He's a perfect fit for a contender.  Next year, Davis, Cole, Mims, Moore and maybe sign a couple off the practice squad. I dont see us signing any FA WR or drafting one.  Next year its Mims time.

There is absolutely no reason to dump Berrios. I have no hate for Cole, but he is not "much better" than Berrios. They have different roles on the team.

1 hour ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

There is absolutely no reason to dump Berrios. I have no hate for Cole, but he is not "much better" than Berrios. They have different roles on the team.

Cole is light years better than Berrios. He runs better routes, has better hands. Berrios is a JAG - the definition of JAG whose role is 5th/6th wr and punt returner which he sucks at.  Now that Cole is in the lineup, you could see things open up for Wilso whre he connectyed on some big big plays with Cole and in turn this opened things up for Davis.  

2 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Cole sucks dude.  Berrios is a decent depth slot receiver.  Not sure what Crowder did to upset JD 

As far as the “Mims just sucks” people — this guy is going to be James Farrior 2.0 but even more egregious 

3 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Sorry but I have a eally hard time seeing this as being the case.  The kid was lights out at Baylor. Was projected as a first rounder.  Even Terrel Owens was pingoen holed for awhile before breaking out. Something is up with how his attiude is percieved.  He got to much talent and skillset to just let him rot. If you dont like him, play him and show him so his trade value is there.  AS a 2nd rounder, he's worth NOTHING right now, Hackenberg like which is just shameful.  

Except Bowles caught the same crap for that, if not more, but turned out to be 100% correct about Hack and shown to be agreed with by the entirety of the NFL.

If a head coach doesn't think a player deserves to be on the field, it's never his job to go out of his way to force anyone out there just to make the GM look/feel better.  A coach should never, ever be having his decision-making driven solely by where someone was drafted.

For anyone blown away by Mims last year then that's certainly your prerogative, but where he was taken is JD's problem, not Saleh's nor LaFleur's.  In the end, their primary focus right now is Zach Wilson, and they've made it clear what they feel is in his best interests.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Except Bowles caught the same crap for that, if not more, but turned out to be 100% correct about Hack and shown to be agreed with by the entirety of the NFL.

If a head coach doesn't think a player deserves to be on the field, it's never his job to go out of his way to force anyone out there just to make the GM look/feel better.  A coach should never, ever be having his decision-making driven solely by where someone was drafted.

For anyone blown away by Mims last year then that's certainly your prerogative, but where he was taken is JD's problem, not Saleh's nor LaFleur's.  In the end, their primary focus right now is Zach Wilson, and they've made it clear what they feel is in his best interests.

Just to be clear, Mims is no Hackenburg.  In the time Mims has been allowd to play, he showed some good skills. Better to get somethiing for him than just cut him and youre not getting anything if he doesnt PLAY. this has NOTHING to do with making JD look good or bad.  

2 hours ago, Albaniajet said:

Cole sucks dude.  Berrios is a decent depth slot receiver.  Not sure what Crowder did to upset JD 

As far as the “Mims just sucks” people — this guy is going to be James Farrior 2.0 but even more egregious 

U buggin. JAGS fansite was upset he wasnt resigned. All he does it get open, catch in traffice and score TD's. Look at his youtube highlights. He ,not Berrios, should be our punt returner.

11 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Cole is light years better than Berrios. He runs better routes, has better hands. Berrios is a JAG - the definition of JAG whose role is 5th/6th wr and punt returner which he sucks at.  Now that Cole is in the lineup, you could see things open up for Wilso whre he connectyed on some big big plays with Cole and in turn this opened things up for Davis.  

Hehe. Light years.

7 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Just to be clear, Mims is no Hackenburg.  In the time Mims has been allowd to play, he showed some good skills. Better to get somethiing for him than just cut him and youre not getting anything if he doesnt PLAY. this has NOTHING to do with making JD look good or bad.  

Actually Mims is a lot like Hackenburg.  Guys who showed great NFL physical attributes who were polarizing and fell in the draft.   Hackenburg had all the physical attributes for a QB that Mims has as an WR.   The Jets stopped both of them from falling further in the draft.  

14 hours ago, Albaniajet said:

Cole doesn't even remotely suck. He had some of the biggest catches in the game on Sunday.