Jets biggest draft bargain

AFJF

13 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If we're talking all-time greatest Jets draft bargains (post-merger), I'd go with this as my top 10:

1.  DT Joe Klecko:  6th round pick (1977)

• 10-year starter
  • 2x 1st Team All-Pro
  • 4x Pro Bowler

2.  C Joe Fields:  14th round pick (1975)

• 12-year starter
  • 1x 1st Team All-Pro
  • 2x Pro Bowler

3.  G Dan Alexander:  8th round pick (1977)

• 13-year starter

4.  LB Mo Lewis:  3rd round pick, # 63 overall (1991)

• 13-year starter
  • 1x 1st Team All-Pro
  • 3x Pro Bowler
  • 52.5 sacks
  • 26 Forced Fumbles
  • 14 INTs

5.  CB James Hasty:  3rd round pick, # 74 overall (1988)

• 7-year starter (+ 6 additional years as starter with Chiefs)
  • 24 INT's
  • 6 Forced Fumbles

6.  WR Laveranues Coles:  3rd round pick, # 78 overall (2000)

• 6-year starter (+ 3 additional years as starter with Washington/Bengals)
  • 459 catches
  • 2x 1,000+ yard seasons
  • 37 TDs

7.  OT Jason Fabini:  4th round pick, # 111 overall (1998)

• 8-year starter

8.  DT/NT Jason Ferguson:  7th round pick (1997)

• 6-year starter
  • 20.5 sacks
  • 6 Forced Fumbles
  • 6 Passes Defended

9.  WR Jerricho Cotchery:  4th round pick, # 108 overall (2004)

• 5-year starter 
  • 358 catches
  • 1x 1,000+ yard season
  • 18 TD's 

10.  S Kerry Rhodes:  4th round pick, # 123 overall (2005)

• 5-year starter
  • 23 INTs
  • 48 Passes Defended
  • 6 Forced Fumbles

Honorable Mention -  RT Kareem McKenzie:  3rd round pick, # 79 (2001)

• 3-year starter (+ 7 additional years as starter with Giants)

No Crebet?

9 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

You're not wrong, but I consider UDFAs to be part of the "draft" class because the players would have been drafted if they went back to the 12 round format. Hitting on an UDFA is a better achievement than hitting on a late round draft pick, in my opinion. 

The UDFA pool in a given year is very large.  An estimated 426 UDFA's were signed by NFL teams in 2020, per Jason @ OTC:  https://overthecap.com/estimating-the-number-of-2020-udfas-for-each-team/

Compare that number to the 255 players who were drafted in 2020.

So, yes, while UDFA's are essential, it's not really that hard to "hit" on one of them in a given year, considering the large pool of players you're choosing from.  Drafting players and putting your name on those picks is a much bigger deal for both GM's and the players who have the honor of getting selected.  Hence why the Scotty McKnight pick by Rex was so egregiously bad.  They picked a kid who would have went unsigned even in the UDFA pool just to throw Sanchez a bone.  Terrible decision.

Thus I think its OK to separate out UDFA's from draft picks in this discussion.  To me, UDFA's aren't part of a draft class.  They're kind of a separate item.  Your pre-draft prep goes into evaluating those players, of course, but its just a different kind of process than drafting players.

7 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

You're not wrong, but I consider UDFAs to be part of the "draft" class because the players would have been drafted if they went back to the 12 round format. Hitting on an UDFA is a better achievement than hitting on a late round draft pick, in my opinion. 

Fine then it's Huff for me...

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

The UDFA pool in a given year is very large.  An estimated 426 UDFA's were signed by NFL teams in 2020, per Jason @ OTC:  https://overthecap.com/estimating-the-number-of-2020-udfas-for-each-team/

Compare that number to the 255 players who were drafted in 2020.

So, yes, while UDFA's are essential, it's not really that hard to "hit" on them given the large pool of players you're choosing from.  Drafting players and putting your name on those picks is a much bigger deal for both GM's and the players who have the honor of getting selected.  Hence why the Scotty McKnight pick by Rex was so egregiously bad.  They picked a kid who would have went unsigned even in the UDFA pool just to throw Sanchez a bone.  Terrible decision.

Thus I think its OK to separate out UDFA's from draft picks in this discussion.  To me, UDFA's aren't part of a draft class.  They're a separate item.

Exactly and why I picked Huff.  To find a UDFA pass rusher?  Damn near unheard of.  The only one I think of off the top of my head is James Harrison.  Jon Randle went undrafted but he was a DT, technically. Shaq Barrett and Cam Wake legit are the only other recent ones I can think of.

Much easier to hit on offense w/ UDFA's, IMO.

• Upvote 1

I think the bigger picture is all 4 are looking like potential foundational players for the Jets. I think I would choose Huff since he is turning into a far better than average edge and is Top 5 in PBWR and is also getting double teamed a ton. Hall looks like a #1 CB which is amazing. Thing with Hall though is that sans injury he would have been a first rounder. Huff was healthy and was an UDFA

first of all, when has the phrase "Jets biggest draft bargain" ever been uttered?

I have to go with Huff so far. Getting pressure off the edge for a Jets team is virtually unheard of and not seen since...John Abraham??!

That said, we're used to talking about "Jets biggest draft bust" so I'm ecstatic that the picks seem to be working out, fairly quickly.