Patriots Releasing Stephon Gilmore(Traded to Panthers)

26 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

My first reaction is obviously "sign this beast" but I have to think there's more to this for the Pats to just release him. Something is going on. Maybe he just wants to go play with Brady in Tampa.

They couldn't  agree on a contract. It isn't  so eyebrow raising. The Pats are rebuilding for the next 2 or 3 seasons. 

Can we all agree that whether or not JD signs him it is a mistake and we should fire JD? :-)

Looks like more Pats are bailing - rats off of a sinking ship ... 

Unfortunately, that secondary is playing pretty well even without him. Surprised he is being let go; the defense is the one positive on that team and adding a healthy Gilmore would make them better. 

• Haha 1

It would be a departure  from how JD has managed  the personnel  and cap if he was to sign Gilmore. If he was in his mid 20's, I would think he would kick the tires on this but I don't  see him paying top CB money for a guy this old. I think the pass rush also might be good enough that we won't  need top tier DB's.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

The Pats spent a lot during in the free agent frenzy period last March. Is that what rebuilding teams do?

If you are the Jets, no. We have a GM that believes  in building through the draft.  If you are the Pats and the GM is BB who believes he can coach these players to get a lot out of them, then yes.

Just now, More Cowbell said:

If you are the Jets, no. We have a GM that believes  in building through the draft.  If you are the Pats and the GM is BB who believes he can coach these players to get a lot out of them, then yes.

Yet a couple of JD's free agent signings, George Fant and Corey Davis, are making the first two picks of the Jets 2020 draft irrelevant. Remember when the Jets were being mentioned as a landing spot for Richard Sherman? I never was on board with that. Getting Gilmore and you don't have to give anything up for him makes it enticing for  even JD. Culture changes with great players, not great slogans.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

The “more” is the fact that he wants lots more money.  

I don’t see the Jets moving on this.  They’re not a $20 million CB away from competing. 

If they were going to spend big money, it should be to shore up the O-line.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Yet a couple of JD's free agent signings, George Fant and Corey Davis, are making the first two picks of the Jets 2020 draft irrelevant. Remember when the Jets were being mentioned as a landing spot for Richard Sherman? I never was on board with that. Getting Gilmore and you don't have to give anything up for him makes it enticing for  even JD. Culture changes with great players, not great slogans.

George Fant doing a decent job at filling in for Becton is not making Becton irrelevant. Corey Davis isn't making Mims irrelevant. Mims not picking up the system is making Mims irrelevant. Building through the draft doesn't mean you don't also sign free agents, and it also doesn't mean that you ONLY play your drafted players. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

What's the current waiver wire order? Is it based on the teams records right now?

It is, yes.

Doesn't matter in Gilmore's case though - he's a vested veteran, so doesn't have to pass through waivers.

• Upvote 2