Marcus Maye: tag, trade or cut?

Bronx

Maye will probably be suspended between 2-4 games. He still has a few years left on the tank, but not enough for a contract extension.  

Considering all the facts, should the Jets tag him next year, trade him this off season or cut him to set a precedence?

Right now, after the DUI and other things coming up, he has zero trade value. I would not tag him at all, instead I would offer him a team friendly deal and if he doesn't accept then he can walk. Bottom line is that I like what the team D looks like right now and Maye is a nice to have but not a must have. 

Also, Maye is not a game changing safety, he is not a Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu type. He is a very good safety but not a game altering one. 

LL

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

I like Maye as a player but he isn't a difference maker that commands the contract he likely expects as a first round pick. Unless he's committed to a reasonable contract I assume he's gone. Maybe they tag him another year if they need to bridge the gap looking for a replacement but at the cost of tagging him they could probably find an equally productive player. He's probably here this year and then walks in FA. 

• Upvote 1

I could see the value in a 3 year deal for Maye that makes him a leader of a young secondary moving forward.

I could also see the front office getting anything of value for him given his legal issues and complete the makeover of the secondary.

The Jets seem content to roll with young guys and system fit vets in the secondary, which is pretty damn similar to how SF has operated over the past few years. Sadly, as much as I love Maye, he's probably on the outs.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Claymation said:

How about you let him walk and get a comp pick. That's what I would do.

Problem with the comp pick is they should be pretty active in free agency.  The more you spend the less comp picks get rewarded to you.  

Get what you can for him now.  

• Sympathy 1

To the earlier post, offer a team friendly deal and let him walk of he doesn’t want it.  As much as I respect his professionalism. He doesn’t seem to want to be here abs doesn’t have the fire, alpha, or true play making track record to warrant a big pay out.   The money can be spent much more effectively elsewhere.  I’d rather pay crowder to stay than maye.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Problem with the comp pick is they should be pretty active in free agency.  The more you spend the less comp picks get rewarded to you.  

Get what you can for him now.  

I could be wrong about this, but I don't think they will be active in Free Agency or really major players. They could resign Moses & Crowder and draft their other needs like IOL, edge, TE and LB. I see them signing players that fill holes.

23 minutes ago, Claymation said:

I could be wrong about this, but I don't think they will be active in Free Agency or really major players. They could resign Moses & Crowder and draft their other needs like IOL, edge, TE and LB. I see them signing players that fill holes.

I hope not.  We have the space and have to take advantage of Wilson's rookie deal.

SPEND SPEND SPEND

Then be frugal in four years. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bronx said:

Maye will probably be suspended between 2-4 games. He still has a few years left on the tank, but not enough for a contract extension.  

Considering all the facts, should the Jets tag him next year, trade him this off season or cut him to set a precedence?

None of the above. Offer him a deal that you'd be ok with him signing. If he gets a better offer in FA, let him walk, get a comp pick back. This defense doesn't require significant investment at that position. The end.

• Upvote 1

If Stephon Gilmore is only getting the Pats a 2023 6th round pick, there is no way anyone is giving up anything of significance for Maye with his pending Legal troubles. 
Let him play out the season, hit free agency, and maybe we get a comp 2023 6th.
Gilmore has other baggage (injury, guaranteed $7+mm this year, $9+mm next, guaranteed against injury). So the real value the Panthers paid the Patriots is this year's salary - if he went to waivers, the team that signed him would have paid him the vet minimum with the Pats on the hook for the rest. By trading the Panthers have to pick up the contract.

I think Maye might get more, but not a lot more. Still in awe of what we got for Adams, Maye isn't getting anywhere near that.

EDIT: The above is only partially true - I got Gilmore mixed up w/ Jaylon Smith. There's no money next year, no injury protection with Gilmore. The trade saved the Patriots $6MM vs paying his $7mm minus the vet minimum, about $1mm for Gilmore, that a team claiming him on waivers would have had to pick up - the infamous 'offset').

4 hours ago, Lith said:

If Stephon Gilmore is only getting the Pats a 2023 6th round pick, there is no way anyone is giving up anything of significance for Maye with his pending Legal troubles. 

I mean, no one said we'd get what we did for: Jamal Adams, Sam Darnold, Chris Herndon, Leo Williams, and I'm probably forgetting people.

I don't think he'd get traded but we should stop doubting JD when it comes to trade value. Even with a player in legal trouble. Dude is a wizard.

Main point: JD could probably get more than I'd expect him to get.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

Why should the NFL be concerned with a personal issue on a man's own time? It's bullsh*t that in 2021 they still treat these players like they are frigging indentured cattle  

I don't think other teams care as much about a DUI as the people on this message board regardless Maye is not a top ten guy at the position, needs a new contract, and has a injury history so I'm doubting you get much for him.

7 hours ago, Lith said:

Big Macc

Disaster season for Maye.  Dodged another bullet by not offering him more than .10 cents on the dollar.   He was proclaimed the Jets 'best player' because the roster was just so mediocre.  Again, Adams or Maye did not and do not warrant the kind of contract they were seeking.  Just because the Seahawks were absolute morons dealing and extending Adams, doesnt mean we will be doing the same with Maye. JD has already made it pretty clear, Maye is an afterthought.  

• Upvote 1