Pats trade CB Gilmore to panthers

faba

• ESPN News Services
  •  
  •  

The Carolina Panthers have acquired Stephon Gilmore in a trade with the New England Patriots, who were unable to agree with the star cornerback on a restructured deal.

The Patriots initially were planning to release Gilmore on Wednesday, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter, but ultimately traded the four-time Pro Bowler to Carolina for a 2023 sixth-round draft pick.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, faba said:
  • ESPN News Services
  •  
  •  

The Carolina Panthers have acquired Stephon Gilmore in a trade with the New England Patriots, who were unable to agree with the star cornerback on a restructured deal.

The Patriots initially were planning to release Gilmore on Wednesday, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter, but ultimately traded the four-time Pro Bowler to Carolina for a 2023 sixth-round draft pick.

He wanted to go to GB.  Lmao

7 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Panthers are 3-1, almost 4-0 with their best player on the shelf.  They're thinking playoffs, not worrying about who to draft in the 6th round in 2 years...

Agreed, doubt they're concerned about the 2nd rounder the way Darnold is playing and I got a feeling they wont miss the 6th for the 2019 DPOY. 

57 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Agreed, doubt they're concerned about the 2nd rounder the way Darnold is playing and I got a feeling they wont miss the 6th for the 2019 DPOY. 

Coach Matt Rhule said he can't wait to get Gilmore on the field.

"I think anytime you can get a [former] All-Pro player for a future sixth, we're going to do it, right?" he said. "... This was just one of those things where it was too good to pass up. He's too good of a player and he's from here. Football character-wise, he just adds to the core of what we are."

2 hours ago, faba said:
  • ESPN News Services
  •  
  •  

It’s somewhat sad to see the Panthers burn all this capital on players when they’re going to get ****ed by Darnold when it counts. If they wanted to insulate themselves from an imminent disaster, they should swing a deal for an A-1 running back and let McCaffrey be the slot receiver.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Pats tanking?

They are very tight on the salary Cap - this saves them 5+ million this year in guaranteed salary. It also gets them something (not much) for a guy they said they were going to release as they couldn't come to deal. Considering that this is the same genius who let Brady walk over ego - not necessarily about the tank but about the BB.

On 10/6/2021 at 3:44 PM, Maynard13 said:

Wow thats great. Thats 3 less INT's I'll be throwing a year.

he dude those are his stats ... I'd say, he is doing very well with real coaching and real players.... 

1st Quarter - 72.7%, 308 yds, 1 TD, 111.7 rating

2nd Quarter - 75.5%, 415 yds, 2 TDs, 118.3 rating

3rd Quarter - 43.3%, 164 yds, 0 TD, 3 INTs, 21.4 rating

4th Quarter - 73.6%, 302 yds, 2 TDs, 114.1 rating

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, SOJ said:

he dude those are his stats ... I'd say, he is doing very well with real coaching and real players.... 

1st Quarter - 72.7%, 308 yds, 1 TD, 111.7 rating

2nd Quarter - 75.5%, 415 yds, 2 TDs, 118.3 rating

3rd Quarter - 43.3%, 164 yds, 0 TD, 3 INTs, 21.4 rating

4th Quarter - 73.6%, 302 yds, 2 TDs, 114.1 rating

I'm happy for you and Darnold. Go get a room. Darnold is a scrub. 

scrub.png

• Haha 1

How did Herndon net a 4th round pick and Gilmore goes for a 6th rounder 2 years from now. Insane! 
It was Herndon and a 6th for a 4th.

Also Herndon is 25 and healthy, Gilmore is 31 coming off quad surgery.
and... Herndon is cheaper :-)
I'd just like to point out that Joe Douglas got a 4th for Herndon and Belichick got a 6th for Gilmour.
^^^^^
Herndon with a solid 0 catches on the year so far 
Yeah nobody is saying it was a better deal for MIN than Gilmore will be for CAR.