2021 Growing Pains Will Pay Dividends

7 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

We saw some real flashes from this team on Sunday from both sides of the ball. I am excited to see more of that this year, but I am even more excited for next year. Those flashes are due to personnel but also a coaching staff learning how to get the most out of them in the systems they're installing. This year there will be more growing pains than flashes and probably more losing than winning. Maybe they get ahead of schedule and we're treated with a better season than anticipated but I think that's unlikely given all the newness.

The real take away from our 2021 season is going to be the foundation being laid by Saleh/JD, etc. We can walk away from the 2021 season with a talented young core of players who know the system and coaches who have experience teaching it. There's potential on defense for a stout young front who can produce a nice pass rush that will be adding Carl Lawson in 2022. We also have a young group of CB's who are flashing behind them and Mosely is looking like he's still an all-pro level player. The 2022 Jets defense can really be a dominant force.

On the other side, obviously Wilsons development will weigh heavy but he's already flashing some big time #2 overall type stuff. The coaching staff is young, learning the ropes themselves and installing a whole new system this year. Next year - all these guys come into it with a year of experience ready to take it to the next level. We will have plenty of draft capital to continue to build out the o-line and add talent around our young QB too. In 2022 the Jets have 11 picks right now including 2 firsts and 2 seconds. If JD can add a top center (sliding McG to G) and maybe add that all-elusive "#1 WR" into the mix and Wilson turns out to be the real deal ... 2022 could be a lot of fun for Jets fans.

We probably end up with more losses than wins this year but I am starting to believe that 2021 could be a real turning point for this franchise. It feels like we're finally building it right from the ground up and have competent people running the show.

Excellent post! I couldn't agree with you more. I would like to see some defensive pieces added next year also. 

This team is gonna be scary in 2023.

Completely agree with the OP.

1) First and foremost ZW is the key.  If he becomes who we think the Jets will be good for a decade at least.  Key is to put an OL around him.

2) The evolution of this past two years drafts.  AVT already looks like a hit.  Moore and Becton are key.  Is Moore the guy from camp or will be an oft-injured, jag that he looked like in the one game he played? Can Becton stay healthy and will he be a turn-style like he looked like in camp and week one - or can be a dominant RB that can also protect ZW blind side?  Hate to have to put another 1st rounder in OT...but if Becton doesn't look good when he gets back or if he gets injured again, you're going to have to.

3) Obviously this upcoming draft.  Need to continue to focus on offense, sure looks like Saleh can scheme his way to competent defense.  Let's build a dominant offense and you'll never be out of any game.  OL, OL and more OL...One more big time weapon would be great wether that be another WR or preferably a stud TE...

• Upvote 3

I think the D will continue to improve. They have been trending in that direction all season .  The O finally had a good day. We will see if that is a trend or an outlier on Sunday. Atlanta is not a good team. We should be competitive.  

I'd like JD to follow the same type formula he did in 21 draft. Offense in the top 3-4 rounds, and then all the rest can be defense. We MUST come out of the 1st round with the best Center in the draft, and either RG or WR. Agree we should be able to target TE in round 2.  Once those 2 to 3 positions are filled have at it with whatever other positions the team chooses, but Center/RG are a must have this draft. That is of course if he doesn't get one of them in FA before the draft, which is not likely the way JD has shown in the past.

• Upvote 1

Great Post but don't tell them kids out there that this is all about next season. They are gonna be out there fighting for wins every single game this season - and they might just win more than a few. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Definitely an opportunity to lay the groundwork for success this season. Not spending like crazy in FA, taking some lumps, and playing young guys helps a lot. They’re able to build a young core, determine where more help is needed, and retain assets.

The defense is exciting because they cobbled together so much with day three picks from the last couple of years. All the prior defensive coaches had GM’s sink premium assets into that side of the ball to run things the way they wanted them. Being competent with so many young late round guys is refreshing.

Obviously so much hinges on Wilson. They need to keep building around him. 

Lots of draft assets heading into next offseason as noted in the OP. Also, a decent chunk of cap space - $64M per OTC, sixth in the league. I’d think Douglas continues building via the draft.

Not living offseason to offseason, cutting guys for space, and eating long term deals that didn’t work out benefits here too. Going from $28M in dead cap hits in 2021 to under $1.5M thus far in 2022. Helps a lot to have that money going to the actual team. I imagine not cutting guys will lead to more opportunities for compensatory picks soon too.

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

We saw some real flashes from this team on Sunday from both sides of the ball. I am excited to see more of that this year, but I am even more excited for next year. Those flashes are due to personnel but also a coaching staff learning how to get the most out of them in the systems they're installing. This year there will be more growing pains than flashes and probably more losing than winning. Maybe they get ahead of schedule and we're treated with a better season than anticipated but I think that's unlikely given all the newness.

The real take away from our 2021 season is going to be the foundation being laid by Saleh/JD, etc. We can walk away from the 2021 season with a talented young core of players who know the system and coaches who have experience teaching it. There's potential on defense for a stout young front who can produce a nice pass rush that will be adding Carl Lawson in 2022. We also have a young group of CB's who are flashing behind them and Mosely is looking like he's still an all-pro level player. The 2022 Jets defense can really be a dominant force.

On the other side, obviously Wilsons development will weigh heavy but he's already flashing some big time #2 overall type stuff. The coaching staff is young, learning the ropes themselves and installing a whole new system this year. Next year - all these guys come into it with a year of experience ready to take it to the next level. We will have plenty of draft capital to continue to build out the o-line and add talent around our young QB too. In 2022 the Jets have 11 picks right now including 2 firsts and 2 seconds. If JD can add a top center (sliding McG to G) and maybe add that all-elusive "#1 WR" into the mix and Wilson turns out to be the real deal ... 2022 could be a lot of fun for Jets fans.

We probably end up with more losses than wins this year but I am starting to believe that 2021 could be a real turning point for this franchise. It feels like we're finally building it right from the ground up and have competent people running the show.

the risk is that Wilson gets PTSD from the beating.   Entering '21 with van rotten + mcgovern as 40% of the protection for the franchise QB was totally inexcusable.   So far wilson looks resilient but there is a long way to go.   

agree with everything else re: playing the kids and building a foundation, but you simply have to protect the franchise once you make that commitment.   you can fix the cap before ZW gets a 2nd contract but you can't fix Zach if he gets twitchy from all the hits. 

• Upvote 1

Not high on the idea of football games being about "development", neither are the kids out there every Sunday. They want to win football games and should. Winning builds confidence, it builds swagger, and it builds unit cohesion. The team just feels different this week from that win. Fans I feel underestimate the effect wins have on a team.

That said, ZW needs to continue to improve. Good news is its not as much as him being inaccurate as it is him making some really bad reads. 

D needs to continue to gel and grow. Corners have impressed me tremendously. Our D line is LEGIT. Excited to see it next year with Lawson.

RBs? I don't know yet. Is Carter the real deal? I have to see more 

WR corps looks to be bouncing back nicely. Hoping Moore turns out to be the real deal and not in the heap of Jets 2nd round WRs who end up busting out. I have faith. 

The real problem that keeps me up is the O line. AVT looks to be doing well. Fant has been holding up. The rest are trash. Becton, have to be honest, i just dont know if it will work out. The kid seems to have the injury bug and some discipline issues with the weight. 

Finally, WE NEED A TE. It would really boost this offense. I would like to snag one with one of those early picks. 

PS On coaching, Saleh has been ok in my book, but ok, not GREAT.....yet. LaFlauer seems to over complicate things to me. BUT I gotta watch the rest of season. Ulbrich as DC has been AWESOME! 

2 hours ago, Nixhead said:

Great Post but don't tell them kids out there that this is all about next season. They are gonna be out there fighting for wins every single game this season - and they might just win more than a few. 

Yeah, I think I'm going to focus on enjoying the ride. Not two years from now or even next year.

I like THIS team. I'm rooting for THIS team. After two sucky head coaches in the last 5 years, I'm entitled to enjoy the progress this team is making week after week.

I love these kids.

• Upvote 3

I'm in the mindset that we take the best edge available with our high 1st if it's a top 5 pick.  You have to take the freaks when you can.  A overwhelming pass rush is the only way past Buffalo, KC, Chargers, and the Browns when it's time to compete.   We can probably add the Raiders to this list in the near future.   Guess what most of those teams have besides a great offense and quarterback?  Their own freak.  

Thibodeaux

Karlaftis

Jackson

JD needs to spend this offseason.  What's the point of having a quarterback on a rookie deal if we don't approach the cap ceiling? 

We can fill in a bunch of holes through free agency.  That allows them to draft the premium positions.

• Upvote 1

This was always a foundational year. Rookie Head Coach, rookie OC, rookie QB. That cannot be emphasized enough. 

I don’t get the criticism of Zach’s “sandlot,” play. QBs need to do two things; be consistent and make big plays. It’s no surprise that the consistency isn’t there yet in his fourth game as a pro, but his ability to improvise and make big time throws is certainly in evidence. The consistency will come as a team, particularly at OL.

This week the past protection was much better, and the results showed up on the scoreboard. People already planning on drafting two more OL high are getting way ahead of themselves, IMHO. Let’s see where this OL is at midseason, and again at the end of the year. I expect steady improvement as they get more comfortable and confident in the scheme. Not saying that adding an interior guy in free agency won’t be an obvious option, but they should develop the OL the same way they’re developing the secondary - by drafting guys in the mid-late rounds who fit the profile they’re looking for and coaching them up. 

It was nice getting the win this week, but these guys realize they still have a ton of work to do. I’m looking forward to watching the team get better as the season rolls on. Not really ready to talk too much about the off-season and next season just yet. 

• Upvote 3
3 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I'm in the mindset that we take the best edge available with our high 1st if it's a top 5 pick.  You have to take the freaks when you can.  A overwhelming pass rush is the only way past Buffalo, KC, Chargers, and the Browns when it's time to compete.   We can probably add the Raiders to this list in the near future.   Guess what most of those teams have besides a great offense and quarterback?  Their own freak.  

Thibodeaux

Karlaftis

Jackson

JD needs to spend this offseason.  What's the point of having a quarterback on a rookie deal if we don't approach the cap ceiling? 

We can fill in a bunch of holes through free agency.  That allows them to draft the premium positions.

Not Yet No GIF

15 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

McgOVERN sucks. i'M SICK OF THIS TALK. Yea he was a guard but he's obviuosly a liabilty. Denver wanted him gone.  He was a fill in the  gap need. JD now needs to go FULL upgrade on the OL next year.  These top rookies coming into NFL on  the OL are just killing it.  We need to sign a top FA OL player and draft two in the very least.  JD MUST get this line together ASAP.