Denzel Mims Press Conference

JetBlue

https://sny.tv/articles/denzel-mims-caught-up-with-jets-playbook-playing-time

Denzel Mims 'caught up' with Jets playbook as he hopes for more playing time: 'I can't control their decisions'
Through four games, Mims has barely seen the field for New York

Scott Thompson
Editorial Producer
10/07/2021 4:21pm

Through four weeks, Denzel Mims has one catch on one target through four weeks. He's been a healthy scratch in two of those weeks and the most offensive snaps he played came last week in the win over the Titans -- 16 percent. 

It's the biggest head-scratcher for experts and fans alike. Mims had a rough time this offseason after an illness kept him out of OTAs and on the outside looking up at the rest of the wide receiver competition. But he's a 2020 second-round pick by GM Joe Douglas, standing at 6-foot-3 with great speed. 

So does Mims know why exactly he hasn't cracked the starting rotation at receiver for Gang Green under head coach Robert Saleh?

"Yes, we done talked about that multiple times," Mims told reporters on Thursday when asked if he knows what coaches are looking for from him to start playing more. "That’s something that I’d rather keep between us, but I know what they want and I’m doing everything they can to do everything right do what they need me to do.”

Saleh and OC Mike LaFleur have both noted the fact that every receiver on the team needs to know what to do at each position on the field. That requires every player, not just Mims, to scour the playbook and get all those down. 

According to the Baylor product, he's done that. 

"I'm caught up," he said. "I'm ready." 

Of course, Mims is frustrated and he said so himself. But he has a good approach to his current situation.

• Upvote 4

We are bringing him along slow and steady.  That is the best attribute Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh have.  Patience.  Everything that is being done is for the Super Bowl run we are making in 2023.  And Denzel Mims is going to be a starting wr for that run.

Be patient Jet fans.  When Mimsy is ready, he is going to explode onto the scene.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

Gawd, what the hell kinda bullsh*t questions are those? It seriously takes zero talent to be a sports reporter. Apparently you just have to be a trite little weasel. What a disgrace.

I’m really not sold on Mims. Ever since his zoom call on draft day I’ve just rarely seen a player seem so disinterested. He has all the makings of a really good player and i seriously hope he proves my dumb ass wrong, but I‘ve got serious doubts about whether he wants to be on this team. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

Don't know how this is all going to come out, but the scribes really tried to get him to say something bitter.

Kid handled them like a pro.  Hope he’s active for this game.

Corrected… I personally am hoping he is active

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We are bringing him along slow and steady.  That is the best attribute Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh have.  Patience.  Everything that is being done is for the Super Bowl run we are making in 2023.  And Denzel Mims is going to be a starting wr for that run.

Be patient Jet fans.  When Mimsy is ready, he is going to explode onto the scene.

words writing GIF by South Park

3 hours ago, doitny said:

he is still not going to play.

Davis Cole and Crowder are the starters. and after they played last week they should get every snap it they can. 

Mims and Moore will just have to wait.

Moore will get snaps - He played well against NE and has a ton of talent

11 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Moore will get snaps - He played well against NE and has a ton of talent

only if crowder needs a play off. Moore didnt do much when Crowder missed the 1st 3 games. then Crowder comes back in a big way. its going to be hard to sit Crowder and get Moore any significant snaps

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, doitny said:

only if crowder needs a play off. Moore didnt do much when Crowder missed the 1st 3 games. then Crowder comes back in a big way. its going to be hard to sit Crowder and get Moore any significant snaps

Moore doesn’t just line up in the slot though. He also lines up on the outside. 

give Moore time, he’s going to flash sooner than later. Zach had him wide open for a long gain and possible TD in the NE game and threw a poor pass that forced Moore to catch it going out of bounds.

Wilson was awful in that game, it happens. Was his 2nd start. As Wilson gets comfortable, Moore will flash 

• Upvote 3