Mallet Finger Deserves It’s Own Thread

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I have no problem saying that Russ missing extended time and Geno helping us increase our draft position is not just ideal it’s borderline poetic.

(Although I’ll note Geno played well and that pick wasn’t really his fault)

I always thought that Geno’s biggest problems were immaturity an insecurity. That opening drive by him really blew me away, though, and my thinking was that with time he’s managed to grow up and into himself. But once he threw his first incomplete, his confidence was a little shaken. And then he was overly emotional after the pick. Don’t know if he was mad at himself or (worse) his receiver for slipping. Either way, you need to be the level headed professional there. 

If they need him to start he’ll be better prepared this week, but it looks like he’s gonna be just as easy to rattle as ever. 

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'll remind everyone of that Sunday evening after Zachy breaks three fingers. :unsure:

I'm the furthest thing from being a religious man, quite the contrary, but I do believe in karma conceptually.  

Draft slot positions isn't worth rooting for others to be hurt.

Then again, I also don't boo or root against people mostly, only for people, so maybe I'm just a clueless Hippie at heart.

I'm not rooting for Russel to get hurt. He's already hurt. As a guy who has had a fingertip amputated, I just hope Russel takes his rehab seriously and takes his time to heal the right way. Karmically speaking, I'm rooting for the most cautious and successful outcome. If that means no more playing this year...?‍♂️

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Best of luck to Wilson on his recovery, and to Geno if he is the fill in.

Bad karma to say anything else tbqh, and this franchise has more than enough bad karma as it is.

Yeah definitely not revelling in an injury to a solid human being. However, the injury happened without our input and it may have real world ramifications to the jets draft position.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Just got finished with this injury myself... I was in a finger splint for 6 weeks... And the article is correct if for any reason you bend the finger, the process starts all over. I know cause for the first 2 weeks I thought I could still play golf. Since it didn't really hurt to bend it, I was like sure let's play golf. So all toll, I was in and out of the splint for the first 2 weeks, then a constant 6 weeks after the botched first 2.

I too had that same injury back about 8 or 10 years ago . My recovery went well, but I had to stop all sports and be very careful with it. 

2 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Man what!? What the f*** is going on around here? Who cares about Russell Wilson's mallet finger?

Any Jet fan cares about Wilson's mallet finger. Do you want the Adams pick next year to be #32 or #2 or 3?

I really like Wilson and hate to see anyone injured but his injury has major implications for the Jets draft next year.

4 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Man what!? What the f*** is going on around here? Who cares about Russell Wilson's mallet finger?

We all should. He’s a human being. When one of us is hurt, we’re all hurt. Maybe one day in a far-off future that’s difficult to even imagine right now, Mallet Finger and other digit injuries will be relegated to the scrap heap of history. Until then, protective gloves, pockets, and avoidance of activities which threaten finger-safety will have to do. 

Good 2 min video from a doctor if anyone cares.  Skip to 2:35 to save time.

Cliff notes:

Hope it’s just a bad sprain, but if it is Mallet Finger non surgery treatment is finger splinted straight on finger on throwing hand  which would make throwing football not really possible  (out 6+ weeks) or surgery which could be months recovery. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Good 2 min video from a doctor if anyone cares.  Skip to 2:35 to save time.

Cliff notes:

Hope it’s just a bad sprain, but if it is Mallet Finger non surgery treatment is finger splinted straight on finger on throwing hand  which would make throwing football not really possible  (out 6+ weeks) or surgery which could be months recovery. 

Interesting. I would’ve thought the surgery option would’ve been to quicken the recovery time. Still weird to think a finger could keep him out six weeks. 

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Interesting. I would’ve thought the surgery option would’ve been to quicken the recovery time. Still weird to think a finger could keep him out six weeks. 

From what the guy in the video is saying  it’s because it’s a tear of the flexor tendon. If it was just a bone injury it would be way quicker recovery I guess. 

I always thought that Geno’s biggest problems were immaturity an insecurity. That opening drive by him really blew me away, though, and my thinking was that with time he’s managed to grow up and into himself. But once he threw his first incomplete, his confidence was a little shaken. And then he was overly emotional after the pick. Don’t know if he was mad at himself or (worse) his receiver for slipping. Either way, you need to be the level headed professional there. 

If they need him to start he’ll be better prepared this week, but it looks like he’s gonna be just as easy to rattle as ever. 

Immaturity and insecurity were always his biggest issue, but he was also so aloof. Just so many times where the situation is obvious and his head was just in the clouds. He must have football smarts to have made it as a backup as long as he has. His arm strength and physical ability is through the roof, and if he ever got his head straight he could be a dangerous QB. He was overly emotional after the pick because he felt the receiver was tripped and wanted a flag. Lots of QBs stomp their feet after “no calls”, but he was way over the top and not the kinda look I’d want from my QB on the sideline. Almost as bad as Mac Jones pouting. Almost….

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetluv58 said:

We all should. He’s a human being. When one of us is hurt, we’re all hurt. Maybe one day in a far-off future that’s difficult to even imagine right now, Mallet Finger and other digit injuries will be relegated to the scrap heap of history. Until then, protective gloves, pockets, and avoidance of activities which threaten finger-safety will have to do. 

You think Mickey Mantle cares about your finger?

16 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

From what the guy in the video is saying  it’s because it’s a tear of the flexor tendon. If it was just a bone injury it would be way quicker recovery I guess. 

Yeah, I understand that sprains are often worse than breaks, but it just seems crazy to me that a finger is going to take out Russell Wilson. He’s something of an iron man out there. I can only imagine what he’s going thru: my ****ing finger? Seriously?!? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I had it about 8 years ago.  Funny enough, catching a football.  My Dad, a doctor, also said it's called "baseball finger".  

Can't operate on it, it just needs time.  The extensor tendon (on the top of the hand) that straightens the finger can mildly tear, moderately tear or completely avulse off the bone.  

Had to put it in a splint for a full 6 weeks and NOT move or bend the joint.  Bend it, it tears again and you have to start all over again for the full 6 weeks.  Would be a complete shame if in about 4 weeks from now he bends it wiping his butt.  

While it completely healed for me in the 6 week timeframe, for a few weeks after it was uncomfortable to bend and I can still feel it today.  

20 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Extensor tendon on the top of the finger. Extends or straightens the finger.  

The flexor tendon is on the underside of the finger.  Flexes or bend the finger.  

Kind of like the difference between your tricep and bicep.  

• Upvote 1

Russell Wilson is a very talented QB and is probably the only person connected to Seattle that I like.
That being said, before everyone starts thinking a top 5 pick from the Seahawks, my nightmare is Geno Smith finally living up to his potential and becoming Tom Brady with a deep ball.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Immaturity and insecurity were always his biggest issue, but he was also so aloof. Just so many times where the situation is obvious and his head was just in the clouds. He must have football smarts to have made it as a backup as long as he has. His arm strength and physical ability is through the roof, and if he ever got his head straight he could be a dangerous QB. He was overly emotional after the pick because he felt the receiver was tripped and wanted a flag. Lots of QBs stomp their feet after “no calls”, but he was way over the top and not the kinda look I’d want from my QB on the sideline. Almost as bad as Mac Jones pouting. Almost….

The pouting aside, perhaps he's matured a bit in other ways.  We certainly haven't heard of any incidents in his time in Seattle.  If there had been any he'd be gone already.  Backup QB's don't get a long leash.  

Then again this is also the same org that traded a Khalil Mack package of picks for Jamal Adams and handed him $70M, so perhaps they have a higher tolerance for player shenanigans than most. 

• Upvote 1

Not entirely sure why, but I thought the term "mallet dick" sounded funny.  Surprisingly, it's an actual thing.  lol

"When it's wider around than it is long. As this prevents actual penetration from happening it forces the owner to pound around in the general vicinity of his target, hence the name mallet dick."

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Mallet Dick

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

Russell Wilson is a very talented QB and is probably the only person connected to Seattle that I like.
That being said, before everyone starts thinking a top 5 pick from the Seahawks, my nightmare is Geno Smith finally living up to his potential and becoming Tom Brady with a deep ball.

His potential really isn't that high.  Don't worry too much about this.  He'll probably be decent but not good enough to overcome that team's lack of defense.  Remember, Wilson was 2-2 with this team while perfectly healthy, and they were on track to lose last night even if he'd stayed healthy.  So unless you think Geno is miraculously some kind of upgrade over Wilson, that team is in trouble. 

And meanwhile all bets are off when it comes to Jamal.  Maybe having gotten paid keeps him quiet, but he's always capable of causing problems in any locker room he's in.

Russ needs to think about the future here. 

Gutting through the finger injury and risking long term problems or sitting out, getting the best medical attention and losing the rest of your games?

It's pretty black and white to me. 

He's an MVP talent that needs to protect his long term earnings potential. 

Get the surgery Russ.

image.gif.6c7337127bf68c9efbab699e4b5fae2b.gif

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

I'll remind everyone of that Sunday evening after Zachy breaks three fingers. :unsure:

I'm the furthest thing from being a religious man, quite the contrary, but I do believe in karma conceptually.  

Draft slot positions isn't worth rooting for others to be hurt.

Then again, I also don't boo or root against people mostly, only for people, so maybe I'm just a clueless Hippie at heart.

I don't remember you rooting for your BFF - Michael Vick.    ?

47 minutes ago, slats said:

Yeah, I understand that sprains are often worse than breaks, but it just seems crazy to me that a finger is going to take out Russell Wilson. He’s something of an iron man out there. I can only imagine what he’s going thru: my ****ing finger? Seriously?!? 

Kinda reminds me when I was a kid. I loved Jack Lambert.  Thought he was so bad ass…and when they said turf toe was basically why he was retiring I was like WTF a toe injury?  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Kinda reminds me when I was a kid. I loved Jack Lambert.  Thought he was so bad ass…and when they said turf toe was basically why he was retiring I was like WTF a toe injury?  

I've heard players describe it as trying to run with broken glass in your toe(s).

• Upvote 1