Jets, DL John Franklin-Meyers agree to 4-year, $55M extension

7 hours ago, KRL said:

Brilliant move by Douglas, the contract may seem "pricey" right now but
Franklin-Myers play is pointing to a 10+ Sack / 10+ TFL season.  And that
kind of production would be worth 15+ million a year on the open market.
Franklin-Myers is unique because he has DT size and strength (6-4 290)
but has the ability to bend off the edge like a smaller man 

Couldnt agree more.  Its not just about production, JFM can play both edge and DT, and can play the run and pass.  

Generally, I dont put too much stock in things like "the players will be mad that the Jets didnt play Maye", but in this particular instance, Id imagine this contract has a really positive affect on the lockerroom.  By all accounts, JFM is a well-liked player and the narrative that anyone can work their way to a payday, has to help motivate the young players on the roster.

Really good move by JD and as a fan, its nice to see a good player/guy get set up for life.  Lets hope it leads to us stomping Atlanta.

• Upvote 4

i think there's a timing factor here.  the jets lock in jfm before qwill's new contract comes up.  they can probably escape after year 2 with a low cap hit. it seems pretty high but we fans don't always see how disruptive a player is on the field.  we see sacks and tackles but not how he helps the guys around him. 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

What kind of Carl Lawson are we getting? I see people assuming he'll be a beast again. That's a significant injury. 

The man has come back from 2 ACL tears. Once in college in 2014 and again while on the Bengals in 2018 and has looked dominant each time he returned. This is a tough one to comeback from but I believe he has the ability to do it.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

When you consider that Shaq Lawson is currently on the books for $9M next season and likely will be released (with zero dead money), this new money for JFM won’t really effect the Jets cap all that much.  Then add in a pretty substantial cap bump and the Jets will still have probably around $75M in cap space heading into 2022.  

What I hope is that JD re-signs Foley and Cole as well. Maye is up in the air but bringing him back isn’t a terrible idea. I’d rather the Jets go into free agency with $30-40 million in cap but less holes than $75 million hoping to plug in draft picks into key roles. 

Theoretically this means JD believes he has set the platform for the team and now draft picks aren’t saviors but should be given opportunities to develop and be a part of the pipeline. 

Premium position players: JFM, Zachapono, Carl Lawson, Quinnen Williams, AVT, Becton, Corey Davis, Bryce Huff, Bryce Hall, MC2

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Its not a little steep, its what he would have gotten in the open market next offseason.  Hes the 20th highest paid DE.  By the end of next offseason I'd bet he's maybe the 30th highest.  

Never mind this CS has seen him for months now, 3 preseason games and 4 regular season games, they have a handle on what he is and believe he will continue to grow.  If so this deal will be a bargain.  

It will be a bargain if he continues to play at this level consistency. If he ends the season with 3 or 4 sacks, not so much a bargain. Its very so-so.

With jets luck one of 2 things will happen:

1. Payday = time to slack off

2. Blown out acl in london

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That's one heck of a commitment to a guy with 5 career sacks prior to this season.

3 so far this season, so perhaps Saleh and JD think he has legit room for major improvement.

This was my point as well. Its a risk........  but I hope it works out for the best. Now, sign Fatkuski whatever his name is. He is solid as well

11 hours ago, KRL said:

Brilliant move by Douglas, the contract may seem "pricey" right now but
Franklin-Myers play is pointing to a 10+ Sack / 10+ TFL season.  And that
kind of production would be worth 15+ million a year on the open market.
Franklin-Myers is unique because he has DT size and strength (6-4 290)
but has the ability to bend off the edge like a smaller man 

Huff will get paid as well.

3 hours ago, kdels62 said:

What I hope is that JD re-signs Foley and Cole as well. Maye is up in the air but bringing him back isn’t a terrible idea. I’d rather the Jets go into free agency with $30-40 million in cap but less holes than $75 million hoping to plug in draft picks into key roles. 

Theoretically this means JD believes he has set the platform for the team and now draft picks aren’t saviors but should be given opportunities to develop and be a part of the pipeline. 

Premium position players: JFM, Zachapono, Carl Lawson, Quinnen Williams, AVT, Becton, Corey Davis, Bryce Huff, Bryce Hall, MC2

Agreed.  What’s worth noting is that currently, after the JFM signing, there are 43 players under contract for the 2022 season.  That’s a big difference compared to previous seasons when the Jets had a ton of cap room but much fewer players under contract.  The one year that Maccagnan had close to $100M in cap there were only 27 players under contract.  This is a much healthier position to be in.  

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.  What’s worth noting is that currently, after the JFM signing, there are 43 players under contract for the 2022 season.  That’s a big difference compared to previous seasons when the Jets had a ton of cap room but much fewer players under contract.  The one year that Maccagnan had close to $100M in cap there were only 27 players under contract.  This is a much healthier position to be in.  

The futures so bright I gotta wear shades!

13 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Franklin-Myers looks really good out there, so it’s fine, but not brilliant. He might be buying a stock at it’s high here.

“Brilliant” would’ve been doing this before the season, before he got his dollars up even more. 

Good for JFM, but if done in the offseason I’m not sure the same extension would’ve been $10MM/yr. 

At least he’s not waiting until after the player’s final under-contract game had been played and then beginning extension talks, like Maccagnan.

And he might have tried; we can't know all the intricacies in behind the scene.  Franklin-Myers might have been betting on himself to get to this point, so he could get the pay day he did.  Those numbers equate to the quality.  Will it last?  We'll see.  To me, it always seems better getting a guy like this, who will probably produce consistently at this level, and give you a bit more than what you paid, rather than go after the big name who might be living off his own legend, cash in, and then fade into the background.  The Jets have signed NUMEROUS guys like that.  

3 hours ago, HighPitch said:

It will be a bargain if he continues to play at this level consistency. If he ends the season with 3 or 4 sacks, not so much a bargain. Its very so-so.

With jets luck one of 2 things will happen:

1. Payday = time to slack off

2. Blown out acl in london

I can say this about every single player in the NFL

i hate the “with the Jets luck” he’ll blow his ACL.   Because that’s a reason to have let him go