NY Jets: The Chris Herndon trade looks like an absolute steal

NYJ1

If you read the board during Hendon's time with the Jets, you would be regaled with stories of his impending greatness.  Or with excuses galore like:  "Just never got a proper chance", "Bad coaching decisions", "Scheme oddities", and/or "Misalignment of the stars".  Nothing about the fact that he was an awful pick and can't catch worth a sh*t.
ALL of your post is true. And what I mean by that is he never did get a proper chance, bad coaching, etc., so on and so forth.

The ideas aren't exactly opposing. Herndon had a temporary flair of greatness and now we see he was a wasted 3rd rounder by a GM that might go down as the very worst in history.

It was time for Herndon to go. He'd warn out his welcome despite being treated like sh*t by the Jets anyway. Just like Sammy he needed new pastures.

The best part is Joe Douglas managed to recover way, way, WAY more than he should have....

Sent from my SM-G930VL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

16 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

ALL of your post is true. And what I mean by that is he never did get a proper chance, bad coaching, etc., so on and so forth.

The ideas aren't exactly opposing. Herndon had a temporary flair of greatness and now we see he was a wasted 3rd rounder by a GM that might go down as the very worst in history.

It was time for Herndon to go. He'd warn out his welcome despite being treated like sh*t by the Jets anyway. Just like Sammy he needed new pastures.

The best part is Joe Douglas managed to recover way, way, WAY more than he should have....

And still the excuses fall like manna from heaven into the awaiting mouths of the Herndon deluded, my friends. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dcJet said:

Herndon didn't join the Vikings until Aug 31, so he missed all the OTA's, and he had to learn a new playbook, and doesn't know all the plays or where to line up yet.  

Free Chris!

It's an utter travesty how this young man was treated by the NFL elites!  An abomination, I tell you, good sirs!

32 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

If you read the board during Hendon's time with the Jets, you would be regaled with stories of his impending greatness.  Or with excuses galore like:  "Just never got a proper chance", "Bad coaching decisions", "Scheme oddities", and/or "Misalignment of the stars".  Nothing about the fact that he was an awful pick and can't catch worth a sh*t.

Yeah but that’s all media/fan talk. GM,s are supposed to know better. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Or, on the other hand, you would also find plenty of us who thought he sucked and was a waste of roster space. I really don't recall much of what you say, I don't think anyone was high on him after his first year. He certainly didn't get the benefit of the doubt like Darnold did here. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Joe Douglas does it again.  Why any other team would make a deal with this man is beyond me.

The trade comes down to a 5th for a young TE who flashed in his rookie year and might benefit from a new system and team.

It's not like JD got a Jamal type haul of picks.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, shevys said:

Or, on the other hand, you would also find plenty of us who thought he sucked and was a waste of roster space. I really don't recall much of what you say, I don't think anyone was high on him after his first year. He certainly didn't get the benefit of the doubt like Darnold did here. 

You gotta be kidding me.  PLENTY of people were still blowing up Hendon's skirt earlier this year.   

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

JB blew it with Mims.  He had opportunities weeks ago, but passed on action.  At some point, Mims will be released and we'll get no compensation.

Hopefully he catches a few balls and looks good in a game so they can trade him in the offseason.  There will still be people who think they can turn him into something.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

The NY Jets made the decision to move on from tight end Chris Herndon this summer in a move that hardly came as a major surprise. What was a surprise at the time, however, was how much the Jets were able to get for him.

Herndon had fallen off a proverbial cliff following a promising rookie campaign and was fresh off a disastrous 2020 season that saw him finish with just 31 catches for 287 yards in 16 games.

What that stat line doesn't show is that Herndon finished with one or fewer catches in more than half of those games. His numbers were inflated by a few outlier performances where he racked up garbage time stats.

Herndon was about as bad as a starting tight end could be in 2020, and some even saw him as a potential cut candidate heading into training camp, despite a very weak Jets tight end room.

Instead, the Jets managed to ship him to the Minnesota Vikings along with a 2022 sixth-round pick in exchange for a 2022 fourth-round pick.

And so far, that trade is looking like a steal for general manager Joe Douglas and the Jets.

Chris Herndon has done next to nothing since leaving the NY Jets

The Vikings making the move for Herndon wasn't a huge surprise given how desperate they were for a tight end following the loss of Irv Smith Jr. for the season. But it's safe to say that they overpaid.

In four games, Herndon has been a complete non-factor for the Vikings. How much of a non-factor? I attempted to use an image of Herndon in a Vikings uniform for this article.

There were none. It's like he's not even on the team.

He's been targeted just twice over the first four weeks recording a grand total of zero catches for zero yards. He's dropped one of his only two targets.

Herndon's averaging a little over 10 snaps per game with a season-low seven offensive snaps played this past Sunday against the Cleveland Browns. On top of that, he still doesn't play special teams so he's provided no contribution there either.

But there's always more to a player than his box score statistics, right? Perhaps Herndon is contributing in ways the stat sheet doesn't register.

Unfortunately, his dreadful 44.1 Pro Football Focus grade suggests otherwise. Of the 107 tight ends to receive a PFF grade this season, Herndon ranks 94th. Up until a week ago, he was ranked second-to-last meaning that his seven-snap performance on Sunday actually improved his ranking.

The Vikings surrendered a fourth-round pick for a player who has provided no value as a receiver, blocker, or special teamer. But what about that sixth-round pick they got back? Doesn't that lessen the value of the draft capital exchanged?

Sure, it does somewhat. But probably not as much as you'd expect.

Assuming both the Jets and Vikings finish with top-10 picks this season (which seems to be a fair assumption), each of those selections will be at the top of their respective rounds.

Therefore, that average value of draft capital exchanged would equate to around a mid-fourth-round pick, using most draft pick value charts. Even if the Vikings select more toward the middle of the pack, that draft value only drops to a late-fourth-round pick.

No matter how you look at it, the Jets traded Chris Herndon for the value of a fourth-round pick.

Considering the fact that he was in the final year of his contract, was coming off a horrendous season, and has done virtually nothing for his new team, that can't be looked at as anything other than an absolute steal.

Joe Douglas deserves criticism for some of his decisions in recent years. But he looks to have hit a home run with this trade.

Plain and simple, Herndon does NOT want to play football. He has talent but for some reason, is disinterested. Very good move by JD.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

You still might find people here blaming Adam Gase fully for why Herndon couldn't stick with the Saleh-led Jets or make any impact with the Vikings.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Joe Douglas does it again.  Why any other team would make a deal with this man is beyond me.

I’m not fan of brian cashman these days, but he won so many trades early on in his career I believe they charge a “cashman tax”.

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Joe Douglas and a draft pick don't go well together.

SAR I

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

When you both post in the same thread about JD a baby unicorn is born ? and then brutally murdered. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Joe Douglas and a draft pick don't go well together.

SAR I

SAR I

You are a great Jets fan who spent his hard earned money on this team year after year. Not sure what it is though with you. Is it age? Is it the abuse we take from the Jets?... But you have gone off rails in my humble opinion. 

Here are my facts: 

Adam Gase sucks. 

The book is still open on Joe Douglas. 

In my humble opinion: 

Your praise for Gase is at an obsession level.

Your hate for Joe Douglas is also at an obsession level. 

Conclusion: 

Come on bud. You have a name, you have a reputation. Drop this act. Come back to earth. Call things as you see it. We love you regardless. You have a fan in me but you are making it impossible for me to defend you.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

SAR I

You are a great Jets fan who spent his hard earned money on this team year after year. Not sure what it is though with you. Is it age? Is it the abuse we take from the Jets?... But you have gone off rails in my humble opinion. 

Here are my facts: 

Adam Gase sucks. 

The book is still open on Joe Douglas. 

In my humble opinion: 

Your praise for Gase is at an obsession level.

Your hate for Joe Douglas is also at an obsession level. 

Conclusion: 

Come on bud. You have a name, you have a reputation. Drop this act. Come back to earth. Call things as you see it. We love you regardless. You have a fan in me but you are making it impossible for me to defend you.

Thats a solid sequence of facts!

• Haha 1

Maybe Joe emailed the Vikings cut ups of Herndon's rookie season?

But ya, he had some amazing catches his rookie season...I recall one catch down near the endzone where he stuck his arm out and caught a long pass from Sam with one hand.

Didn't he have injury and PED or DUI suspension issues that kind of wiped out his second season, then last year (covid) was his 3rd season, and no one on that team was any good (except for Sam, of course, who was the best QB in the NFL but on the wrong team with the wrong HC and wrong RBs and wrong WRs)

Another win for JD!