This Ain't The Jets : Giants Coord

Dunnie

Defensive coordinator Patrick Graham said this week that he learned quickly during his first tour with the Giants as defensive line coach in 2016, that Giants-Cowboys in not normal. The teams faced off in Week 1 that season.

“I’ll never forget my first regular season game as a Giants coach and it was against the Cowboys. It was a four o’clock game and I remember JPP (Jason Pierre-Paul) standing next to me during the national anthem and he said, ‘This ain’t the Jets’ or he said something to me, right? Because I was with New England for my whole time and I said, ‘‘Yeah, it’s a little different, man. It’s a little different,’ “ Graham said. “I always remember that moment and how cool – he looked at me and he was so cool about it.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2021/10/9/22716873/giants-notebook-this-aint-the-jets-and-more-from-the-coaching-staff

Doorstop.

Jesus.

27 minutes ago, Warfish said:

How cute.

Sadly, the Cowboys generally never gave two sh*ts about the Giants as a "rival". 

Cowboys - Redskins, THAT was a rivalry.

So technically, JPP was right, Giants-Cowboys ISN'T Jets-Patriots.  

It's more like Jets-Bills maybe, a third tier divisional rivalry.

Cowboys-Redskins, Jets-Dolphins, Chiefs-Raiders, those are real, legit, timeless rivalries.

I remember back in the 80’s the giants used to wear their whites at home and force the cowboys to wear their bad luck blues. That was the staubach Danny white era. The cowboys consistently kicked the giants ass back then until the mid 80’s

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BP said:

I remember back in the 80’s the giants used to wear their whites at home and force the cowboys to wear their bad luck blues. That was the staubach Danny white era. The cowboys consistently kicked the giants ass back then until the mid 80’s

redskins did the same

How cute.
Sadly, the Cowboys generally never gave two sh*ts about the Giants as a "rival". 
Cowboys-Redskins, Jets-Dolphins, Chiefs-Raiders, those are real, legit, timeless rivalries.

Id add cowboys / steelers of the 70s

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think a majority of our fan base have been in denial about just how bad and pathetic we’ve really been to everyone else in the league.

Respectfully disagree. Speaking for myself, I am well aware of just how much worse the Jets have been than even the bad teams in this league.  And, I think most other diehard fans are too. Perhaps not the casual fan, but those of us here who follow this team with an almost unhealthy dedication have a fairly clear view of how large the chasm has been between the Jets and the below average NFL teams.

This is a heavy lift for sure. It will take time. Sometimes you churn at the bottom for a while. The Jets have been there longer than most primarily because of how they choose their leadership, pivot quickly off plans when they don’t work immediately, enter into bed veteran contracts, and do not show patience with any kind of development process for both coaches and players. I feel that is now changing.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think a majority of our fan base have been in denial about just how bad and pathetic we’ve really been to everyone else in the league.

This “rebuild” is different than just about most sports teams. It’s more a BUILD than a REBUILD, because nothing was ever there.

It isn’t just about getting a bit younger and exchanging some old vets for some prime players and boom playoffs.

This youth movement we’re doing is about trying to truly build something for the future and long term.

JD & RS have an entire horror show stigma history to shed and an imagine to build. But with chaos, affords opportunity.

In my field, I’ve worked for 2 major players within that field. I eventually took a Jets job…a place that was historically a joke, a mess, and a disaster in the field…in the region…and in the city. Why? Because chaos creates opportunity to build something YOUR way. You’ll never hear “well that’s how we do it here. Thats the (Steelers, Giants, Patriot, Packer) Way.”

The problem in this endless cycle of rebuilds/builds is that we lacked people with vision. The people who took the GM/HC jobs were never aligned timeline wise or vision. Hopefully, these two dudes that we got now are the real deal.

While I agree the jets have been horrid, let me also remind everyone that the giants and jets are neck and neck for the worst overall record in the NFL for the past 10 years.  You wouldn't know with all the whimsical ball washing of the the last 2 giants SB wins, but the numbers don't lie. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Respectfully disagree. Speaking for myself, I am well aware of just how much worse the Jets have been than even the bad teams in this league.  And, I think most orher diehard fans are too. Perhaps not the casual fan, but those of us here who follow this team with an almost unhealthy dedication have a fairly clear view of how large the chasm has been between the Jets and the below average NFL teams.

This is a heavy lift for sure. It will take time. Sometimes you churn at the bottom for a while. The Jets have been there longer than most primarily because of how they choose their leadership, pivot quickly off plans when they don’t work immediately, enter into bed veteran contracts, and do not show patience with any kind of development process for both coaches and players. I feel that is now changing.

Agree here completely.  As fan I am painfully aware of how bad the Jets have been.  

I think Joe Douglas is patient and has a plan.  His plan over the first two years was to tear this whole thing down - just get rid of all the garbage deals, bad talent and start, almost, completely from scratch.  It's why I call this year the first of his rebuild.

I think he has a plan and believe he's stuck with that plan, understand the consequences.

Two questions:

1) In JD's first two years of the tear down he was almost entirely praised.  There was no real heat on him.  There is now.  Will he be able to stick with the patient, smart, methodical approach when he's under some heat.  I certainly hope so.

2) Can he actually pick the right players (sign or draft) results have been mixed so far.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

As long have you been on this forum, you really think that?

Oh yeah. Every year (even the Gase years) Its like people thought we were one center or pass rusher away from figuring it all out.

Every year expectations have been far overblown by our own fan base. Now thats the majority, not this whole fan base or this board.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Agree here completely.  As fan I am painfully aware of how bad the Jets have been.  

I think Joe Douglas is patient and has a plan.  His plan over the first two years was to tear this whole thing down - just get rid of all the garbage deals, bad talent and start, almost, completely from scratch.  It's why I call this year the first of his rebuild.

I think he has a plan and believe he's stuck with that plan, understand the consequences.

Two questions:

1) In JD's first two years of the tear down he was almost entirely praised.  There was no real heat on him.  There is now.  Will he be able to stick with the patient, smart, methodical approach when he's under some heat.  I certainly hope so.

2) Can he actually pick the right players (sign or draft) results have been mixed so far.  

If we can be objective and results-oriented then JD might look better than some people think in terms of talent acquisition.  Picks like Zuniga, Cam Clark, James Morgan, etc. have been complete fails.  Becton has looked excellent at times but his injury concerns have started to come true.  Same with Ashtyn Davis.  Now, what about his other “picks” who weren’t even picks.... guys like Huff, Javelin Guidry, and other UDFA’s?  How about the waiver wire and FA pickups like JFM, and this year’s mid/late round guys like MC II?  If a guy used a valuable 3rd round pick on a player who busts but used pennies in free agency to get a guy who becomes an excellent starter how do you evaluate him?  For me, it’s not where you get the guys or how well your picks turn out... it’s what you ultimately put on the field.  We should judge JD by who is playing and how they perform.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

If we can be objective and results-oriented then JD might look better than some people think in terms of talent acquisition.  Picks like Zuniga, Cam Clark, James Morgan, etc. have been complete fails.  Becton has looked excellent at times but his injury concerns have started to come true.  Same with Ashtyn Davis.  Now, what about his other “picks” who weren’t even picks.... guys like Huff, Javelin Guidry, and other UDFA’s?  How about the waiver wire and FA pickups like JFM, and this year’s mid/late round guys like MC II?  If a guy used a valuable 3rd round pick on a player who busts but used pennies in free agency to get a guy who becomes an excellent starter how do you evaluate him?  For me, it’s not where you get the guys or how well your picks turn out... it’s what you ultimately put on the field.  We should judge JD by who is playing and how they perform.

I think that's right, 

Huff, Guidry, Hall, MCII, JFM - all late rounder or FA's.  When's all said and done, yes.  It's the team you put on the field.

Now, he does need to hit on the early rounders though.  

I'm not high on Becton at all, I think he'll end up busting, but a guy like Moore has to be a hit...

But really, all of that being said, it'll come down to his #2 overall pick from last year.  If he hits, JD will be around a long time, if he misses, JD will be gone in 3 years.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

55 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

excellent post.

and i might add that we cant rush to judge these draft picks so soon. 

JFM was a 4th rd pick of the Rams in 2018. JD signed him in sept 2019. he got injured and never played. then in 2020 he plays in 15 games starts in 2 and has 3 sacks and 5 TFL... he starts to look good. and now he looks really good. already had 3 sacks.

things like that give me hope for the 2020 class. maybe some of them need a 3rd or even 4th yr. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

How cute.

unfortunately jets-patriots isnt a real rivalry either. the patriots have been a perrenial contender and the jets have been basically sh*t. there is no rivalry because the patriots have basically roflstomped the jets for 20 years. the only thing that you might be able to say makes them rivals is because bellichick left the jets at the altar....but really that just another embarrassment fpr the jets, if anything. the colts and giants are more thew patriots rivals than the jets have ever really been. we have just been a whipping boy for the patriots at best 

6 hours ago, BP said:

Your memory needs a boost as Staubach retired after the 79 season.