2022 New York Yankees

Maxman

18 hours ago, Barton said:

Yup. This team has winning mojo. Chemistry is very good. WInning energy is there.

A guy like Benintendi or Cedric Mullins would change this lineup and put the team over the top, IMO. 

Mullins would be a lot of fun. Could see him being a spark, stealing some bases. The kind of guy that hits better because he is excited to be playing in big games. I would take either of these guys in a second.

3 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Does Chapman automatically get his closer spot back or is it now situational and up to Boone for who he feels is best in the moment ?

He isn't getting it back.  I could see them using Holmes if the heart of the order is in the 8th. But otherwise I don't see Chapman getting the 9th over him.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Does Chapman automatically get his closer spot back or is it now situational and up to Boone for who he feels is best in the moment ?

Chapman will be an arm in the pen, useful as he is left handed.   He even said in an interview he realizes others have stepped up.

I think he is mature enough to realize he can win a ring with this team, and he is not the best closing option on the team anymore.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

I have a hard time seeing Holmes being replaced the way he is pitching. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

Mullins would be a lot of fun. Could see him being a spark, stealing some bases. The kind of guy that hits better because he is excited to be playing in big games. I would take either of these guys in a second.

Are Mullins and Benitendi available? Are you guys comfortable offering up Pedraza?

36 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Are Mullins and Benitendi available? Are you guys comfortable offering up Pedraza?

I'd think they are available.   The Yanks do have a lot of arms available, but for the life of me, why did they not just call up Florial to see if he can handle OF duty, and put Gallo on the bench?

Gallo is horrible, beyond horrible.   He strikes out almost 45% of the time, and offers nothing at the plate but a twice a month HR off a mistake pitch.

• Upvote 1

When Chapman first went on the IL and it was clear Holmes was the alpha in the bullpen, didn’t Boone say that Chapman would remain the closer and Holmes would be used in the most high leverage situations? Maybe I’m remembering wrong, and clearly Holmes has established himself as best reliever in the league since.

Say the Yankees are up 2-1 over Boston in the 8th with Devers, Martinez, and Bogaerts coming to the plate. Do you bring in Holmes there or save him for the 9th? 

6 hours ago, maury77 said:

I think you could get either of those guys for much less than Pedraza. I would bring up Andujar and cut Gallo before trading Pedraza. Hell they should do that anyway.

I get why everybody hates Gallo, but he does have a decent glove.  LOL at "put them over the top"  Over the top of what?  They are literally playing as well as any team in history.  I get that being an armchair GM you look at the obvious flaws and want to fix them, but I would be careful about ******* with a good thing.  No matter how obvious it seems.

6 hours ago, PS17 said:

When Chapman first went on the IL and it was clear Holmes was the alpha in the bullpen, didn’t Boone say that Chapman would remain the closer and Holmes would be used in the most high leverage situations? Maybe I’m remembering wrong, and clearly Holmes has established himself as best reliever in the league since.

Say the Yankees are up 2-1 over Boston in the 8th with Devers, Martinez, and Bogaerts coming to the plate. Do you bring in Holmes there or save him for the 9th? 

That is the classic argument, the closer traditionally gets the 9th, but the 8th may be the most important.

I was watching "Fastball" on Amazon (free with commercials).   Goose was talking a lot, he was his own setup man.  That guy was consistently throwing 100+ innings out of the bullpen.  I know, a little off topic, but too bad.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I get why everybody hates Gallo, but he does have a decent glove.  LOL at "put them over the top"  Over the top of what?  They are literally playing as well as any team in history.  I get that being an armchair GM you look at the obvious flaws and want to fix them, but I would be careful about ******* with a good thing.  No matter how obvious it seems.

Gallo is an automatic out, he is literally the worst hitter in baseball.  Come playoffs, he will be lucky to bat 100 if he is still playing.

You can always improve, and replacing a 170 hitter with just a 260 hitter is a huge upgrade.

10 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Gallo is an automatic out, he is literally the worst hitter in baseball.  Come playoffs, he will be lucky to bat 100 if he is still playing.

You can always improve, and replacing a 170 hitter with just a 260 hitter is a huge upgrade.

I am not denying that they should upgrade, but I think they should be very careful which direction they head.  Chemistry is a very delicate thing and ******* with a historic start is a path to tread cautiously.

22 hours ago, maury77 said:

Yes. Enough with the prospect hugging. Peraza is not some top 10 prospect in the game.

This team needs to win now. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Fair point but once again the Astros just shut down this lineup.

Yankees should consider trading anyone in the minors not named Volpe for Reynolds on the Pirates. Ditto Beinintendi. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jet9 said:

Devers owns Cole. Blasts one off of him earlier. Most HRs from any MLB player. Pitches to him again and blasts another. Lose the ego and pitch around him my guy. 

This and might be a good idea to bust him up and in, alittle bit. Wayy too comfortable. 

Cole, as good as he is, is still learning how to PITCH. IF you watch Verlander there is power and finesse, he moves the ball everywhere. Cole? Not as much. 

• Upvote 1

For @Barton AKA Gallo's biggest fan :)

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2022/07/mlb-rumors-yankees-6-possible-trade-targets-to-replace-joey-gallo-bryan-reynolds-ian-happ-more.html

The Yankees have cut Joey Gallo’s playing time and have tried to hide him in the No. 9 spot in the lineup when he does play.

It seems all but certain general manager Brian Cashman will look to move on from the strikeout-prone outfielder at the trade deadline.

Here are six potential targets:

Andrew Benintendi, Royals

Why: The Yankees wouldn’t hate the 27-year-old using his left-handed swing to take aim at the right-field short porch in the Bronx. After playing years in Boston, there’s no fear he’d wilt in a major market with a World Series push on the line. Through 74 games, he’s hit .308 with a 113 OPS+, and he could handle left field. Helps that, as a rental before he becomes a free agent after this season, Kansas City likely wouldn’t expect the Yankees to deal a top-tier prospect for him.

Why not: Paying the remainder of the $8.5 million Benintendi is owed for this season probably wouldn’t be a concern for the Yankees. But they wouldn’t be pumped about his lack of power (just three home runs) this season.

Want to bet on MLB?

See the best NJ Sports Betting sites

Ian Happ, Cubs

Why: The switch-hitter would be able to take over in left field with good instincts, and likely a good clubhouse scouting report, considering he’s close with first baseman Anthony Rizzo. Happ is having a career season at the plate in what should be his prime years. Through 77 games, he’s hit .285 with eight homers and 37 RBI with an impressive .384 on-base percentage. It’s been good enough for a career-best 136 OPS+. He had just a 101 OPS+ last season. He won’t be a free agent until after next season. Also, the Cubs are well acquainted with the Yankees’ farm system, having traded them Rizzo for a pair of highly regarded prospects last season.

Why not: Offensively, Happ is well exceeding his track record, so there’s cause for concern there. And while he can pitch in at center field in an emergency, he’s almost strictly a left fielder, and he has a weak throwing arm.

Bryan Reynolds, Pirates

Why: Reynolds, an All-Star last season, is probably the most attractive option out here. He’s a 27-year-old switch-hitter who hits the ball hard and plays a solid center field. Though Reynolds started slow, he’s pulled his batting average from .216 to .253 in his last 26 games, hitting .316 with seven homers and a .957 OPS over the span. He won’t be a free agent until after the 2025 season.

Why not: The Pirates are going to ask the world for Reynolds — as they should. Would the Yankees be willing to give up a high-end prospect for him? With Gallo coming off the books next season, an outfield spot would be open. And by high-end, we’re talking tippy-top — Anthony Volpe? Oswald Peraza? Jasson Dominguez? Do the Yankees absolutely need this kind of upgrade or can they can get by with what they’ve got?

David Peralta, Diamondbacks

Why: The switch-hitting Peralta is having a strong season at the plate (11 HR, 123 OPS+). He’s better from the left side. He’d potentially make a good platoon with Hicks, who’s better from the right side. He’s a strong defender with a Gold Glove to his name. He’s owed the remainder of his $7.5 million salary for this season and will be a free agent in the offseason.

Why not: If the Yankees aren’t in on the top targets like Reynolds or Benintendi, Peralta is a great place to look. The Diamondbacks have lost seven of their last 10 games and are eight games out of the Wild Card. Would the competition to trade for Peralta wind up fierce?

Buy Yankees tickets: StubHub, TicketSmarter

Ramon Laureano, A’s

Why: Laureano is having a decent season at the plate with a .239 batting average, four homers and eight steals (104 OPS+), but has yet to duplicate the impressive production he put up in 2019. He can handle center field but is probably better off in a corner.

Why not: The Yankees could likely do better in terms of an offensive upgrade than Laureano, though he would be light years ahead of Gallo. How much would the A’s want for him considering he won’t be a free agent until after next season?

Tyler Naquin, Reds

Why: The Reds stink and they’ll probably look to trade anyone they can. Naquin will be a free agent after this season and his price shouldn’t be astronomical. Helps that he’s a lefty bat capable of playing center field, though he’s exclusively played right field this season.

Why not: Again, unless the Yankees see more in Naquin, he’s not much of an upgrade.

16 hours ago, Jet9 said:

Brutal loss. 

It was my fault J9, I knew I shouldn't tune in to watch it live on TV, I was doing fine on the team's GameDay site and when they went ahead I said well maybe I can see it on Twitter and then got the brilliant idea to watch it on ESPN 46 games in a row they win while leading at that point and then Mister jinx decides to watch and POOF! It's the 2001 World Series again watching in NJ w/my cousins and friends and Gonzales loops a game winner over 2Base. I haven't watched a full Yankee game since that NIGHT! I promise I won't do it again you guys, sorry

• Haha 1