2022 New York Yankees

Maxman

15 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

You know, when the Yanks signed him, I really thought he had some gas left in the tank, but it's obvious, he's done...hitting wise that is.  Still a good glove, but we need offense from our 3rd baseman.  

I agree with you about Donaldson, but I don't know that shifting IKF to third is going to dramatically improve the offense coming out of 3rd. Donaldson actually has a higher OPS than IKF. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

How would you guys improve the Yankees in the offseason?

Depends on how the season plays out.  If they get crushed in the 1st round, probably just do a rebuild.

No one wants to hear it, I let Judge go rather than sign him to a 8-10 year deal.   If he wants a 6, regardless of salary, I do it.

Trade Hicks eating 75% of his salary, or just release and eat it. 

If at all possible, move Stanton, he simply can not be trusted.   Again, you'll have to eat some contract.

Try to move Glyeber, figure Volpe will be the long term 2nd baseman, so DJ can just play 2nd until he is ready.

If you can get a good package, I move Cole before that salary becomes an albatross.

I think you are stuck with Donaldson for another year, unless you can find a better alternative.

Put Schmidt in the starting rotation next year.

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

I’d bring up Volpe and Peraza next year and put them in starting lineup ala Jeter/ARod situation. Move one of them to 3rd. Resign Judge. Sign another SP 

I don't know that Volpe has the arm for 3rd, I think he may be a long term 2nd baseman.   You can do that, and play DJ at 3rd, realistically keep Donaldson for the final year on his contract.   This way if Volpe isn't ready in April, DJ can play 2nd, with Volpe ready to step up when he is ready.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, chirorob said:

Depends on how the season plays out.  If they get crushed in the 1st round, probably just do a rebuild.

No one wants to hear it, I let Judge go rather than sign him to a 8-10 year deal.   If he wants a 6, regardless of salary, I do it.

Trade Hicks eating 75% of his salary, or just release and eat it. 

If at all possible, move Stanton, he simply can not be trusted.   Again, you'll have to eat some contract.

Try to move Glyeber, figure Volpe will be the long term 2nd baseman, so DJ can just play 2nd until he is ready.

If you can get a good package, I move Cole before that salary becomes an albatross.

I think you are stuck with Donaldson for another year, unless you can find a better alternative.

Put Schmidt in the starting rotation next year.

I would actually keep Stanton around. As someone who hated him in the beginning and booed him at Yankee Stadium I have grown to like him. He was good against Tampa in the 2020 postseason and he was one of very few players to show up against the sux in last year's wild card game. My only real issue with him at this point is his inability to stay on the field. (If this post backfires on me and he's garbage this October then sure get him outta here)

13 minutes ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

I would actually keep Stanton around. As someone who hated him in the beginning and booed him at Yankee Stadium I have grown to like him. He was good against Tampa in the 2020 postseason and he was one of very few players to show up against the sux in last year's wild card game. My only real issue with him at this point is his inability to stay on the field. (If this post backfires on me and he's garbage this October then sure get him outta here)

It's not his production, it's the fact he is ALWAYS hurt.   Every year. 

And that is not going to improve with age.  I want players I can count on, you just can't count on Stanton to be healthy come September, October.

4 hours ago, chirorob said:

It's not his production, it's the fact he is ALWAYS hurt.   Every year. 

And that is not going to improve with age.  I want players I can count on, you just can't count on Stanton to be healthy come September, October.

I agree with that, he's definitely not reliable. I would just hate to give him up if he has a good October and the Yankees win it all.

• Upvote 1

The thing with moving on from these guys is the salary.  There is nothing wrong with keeping Stanton beyond having to pay a guy that isn't on the field much.  If you are going to pay him, why move on?   A guy like Hicks used to be good, but hurt a lot,.  Now he just sucks and moving on and eating salary is okay.  Stanton on the other hand, unless you are getting money back to spend elsewhere, what is the point?

• Upvote 1

On 8/24/2022 at 1:51 PM, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Yankees have no choice but to keep Stanton.  That contract is insane even now

Judge will get his $450 million payday this offseason. Yankees are locked in next 5 years on Stanton/Judge/Cole.  That’s a lot for 2 DHs and a good not great ace

6 hours ago, Dwight Englewood said:

They don’t even know who the closer is. 

Bullpen hurt them again last night.

I'm not a boone fan, but the bullpen was destroyed by injuries.   There's no one to trust in late innings.

Unfortunately, a huge bullpen is usually the key in the playoffs, I just don't see it.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Dwight Englewood said:

Yankees have no choice but to keep Stanton.  That contract is insane even now

Judge will get his $450 million payday this offseason. Yankees are locked in next 5 years on Stanton/Judge/Cole.  That’s a lot for 2 DHs and a good not great ace

I agree about the contracts, but Judge is not a DH. He's a good fielder. 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

It's not overrated anymore. They have been exposed, nobody fears them.

Stanton is now a 220 hitter.   Rizzo has power, but is a 225 hitter.  Torres has fallen apart.  Donaldson hits 220,   IKF is a singles hitter, Dj is playing hurt, if Judge doesn't drvie in 3, they don't score much.