2022 New York Yankees

Maxman

40 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I'd also let Severino walk and sign Rondon instead. I'm skeptical about Nestor being able to replicate this year's success. 

They need to pray Judge wants to come back.....people are just assuming he wants to play and live in NY and I've gotten vibes recently that he doesn't....wouldn't be shocked if he bolts.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, maury77 said:

I'd also let Severino walk and sign Rondon instead. I'm skeptical about Nestor being able to replicate this year's success. 

Our starting pitching was smoke and mirrors this season 

Severino I would love to bring back on a 1 year deal but he’s going to want multiple years.  Yankees lost game 2 but I think he made himself money in that game he lost but pitched well he just had no run support

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

1 minute ago, Dwight Englewood said:

Our starting pitching was smoke and mirrors this season 

Severino I would love to bring back on a 1 year deal but he’s going to want multiple years.  Yankees lost game 2 but I think he made himself money in that game he lost but pitched well he just had no run support

The Yankees have him on a 15 million dollar option or they can cut him for something like 2.75 million.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, undertow said:

Analytics ruined Cashman.....you would think someone who was in the organization in the 90's would understand how to build a team...there's literally a blue print.

Cashman never did anything to be ruined he was terrible the entire time he was here. Gene Michael was the guy who built the best team in baseball and when Cashman took over it was a slow decent . Its easy to build a playoff team with the highest pay roll or close too it every year but Cashman has no clue how to build a team that can actually win in the play offs. This team and a lot of teams these days due to analytics ruining the sport is a disgrace to the game of baseball. 2 times the Yankees were not able to manufacture a run vs the Astros with 3 + innings to do so. They Don't Bunt, they don't hit behind runners and they strike out at an alarming rate with runners on trying to hit a homerun rather than make contact. I'm getting more and more away from watching the sport at all its nothing like it used to be and it will never come back to the glory days of actually playing the game right . This Yankees team are the poster boys on how not to play baseball and Im afraid nothing will change as long as Cashman is in charge and I'm 100 % sure he's telling Boone how to run his team probably tried the same crap with Torre and was told to go **** him self. I pointed this out all year exactly what would happen beat the Indians because their pitching sucks and lose to the Astros who are a much better Built team. Actually I expected the Rays or the Bluejay's to have more of an impact and they probably will next year because the Yankees will pay Judge 45 Per and claim they have no other money to spend. Bank on That

• Upvote 4

Here is the truly scary thing.

People like Cabrera, Peraza but because they come from the farm system, young players, blah blah blah.

What I see is more of the same. Guys trying to pull everything over a shift, no just getting the bat on the ball and putting in play, no bunting. 

To me they are nothing more than Clint Frazier, Torres, Florial, and probably Volpe down the road.

These analytics, launch angles, exit velo are destroying what could have been a great farm system. 

Where is Devi Garcia ? Looks like another pitcher ruined, Clarke Schmidt is just another arm out of the pen down. German ? Who knows ?

One other thing for Hal. Stevie Cohen across the river is a guy who wants to win no matter the cost. I expect the Muts will spend another 300-4- 500 millons this off season. (It won't get them anywhere because they are the Mets) but where do you think the casual fan is going to go and watch baseball.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, maury77 said:

I agree, but I don't know how they are going to fix it. Assuming they role with Bader and the current catchers next year due to their strong defense, what other lineup spots can you upgrade? You can move Peraza to short, but if you shift IKF to third, what do you do with Donaldson? Stanton is unmovable. I suppose you can resign Benintendi to play left. At 2nd, I'd try to package Torres to upgrade another position. Play Dj at 2nd until Volpe is ready. I'm not particularly happy about bringing back Rizzo and his horrendous batting average. 

Pretty much that.

Donaldson is there for a year, or you can move him and pick up half his salary.   I move Gleyber, for actual pitching, not another #4 starter type.

IKF, back up at best.  DJ at 2nd, and then shift to 3rd when Volpe is up.

Rizzo is fine at 1st, he at least showed up for the post season, and when the shift is gone next year expect his batting average to go from 230 up to 260, 270.

Stanton is a concern.  Dude is always hurt, and is on the books for another 5 ish year.   Again, a cautionary tale about signing players on huge long term contracts well into their late 30s.  (Why i don't give Judge a 8-10 year deal)

As usual, I think you guys are a bit harsh.  You wanted them to make moves for guys that wouldn't be K or HR for the playoffs.  Benintendi got hurt.  The one move that was universally panned was Monte for Bader, and it likes like they were probably right in that case.  The team was built to win on the bullpen and they just lost too much there to sustain it.  

20 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

Here is the truly scary thing.

People like Cabrera, Peraza but because they come from the farm system, young players, blah blah blah.

What I see is more of the same. Guys trying to pull everything over a shift, no just getting the bat on the ball and putting in play, no bunting. 

To me they are nothing more than Clint Frazier, Torres, Florial, and probably Volpe down the road.

These analytics, launch angles, exit velo are destroying what could have been a great farm system. 

Where is Devi Garcia ? Looks like another pitcher ruined, Clarke Schmidt is just another arm out of the pen down. German ? Who knows ?

One other thing for Hal. Stevie Cohen across the river is a guy who wants to win no matter the cost. I expect the Muts will spend another 300-4- 500 millons this off season. (It won't get them anywhere because they are the Mets) but where do you think the casual fan is going to go and watch baseball.

You say that like it is going to make them look bad.  I think it will make them make moves.  It is easy to try to move towards fiscal responsibility when the Mets are unable to spend, but when they are in the Post on every FA, then Hal will have something to compete with or make his Dad look bad.

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

As usual, I think you guys are a bit harsh.  You wanted them to make moves for guys that wouldn't be K or HR for the playoffs.  Benintendi got hurt.  The one move that was universally panned was Monte for Bader, and it likes like they were probably right in that case.  The team was built to win on the bullpen and they just lost too much there to sustain it.  

They were crushed by injuries.

This lineup is much different with Benitendi leading off, Judge, Rizzo, a healthy Stanton, and DJ.

That being said, Cashmen is far too into analytics.  He has made trades for players who can only walk or K, or hit 220.  He went for Donaldson, he insisted for months that Gallo was a good player, he kept playing IKF when there was an obvious better option in AAA

• Upvote 1

I also think they picked some of these guys up with the changes in rules in mind.  That will change some of this stuff.   They were wrong on Gallo and Donaldson, but they were right on Voit and Bader.  They won earlier in the year with pitching and defense.  Dumping Gary and moving Torres was nice.  The rotation was pretty solid and the pen was lights out, until they lost too many bodies.  Most of you guys act like this team can't win.  I think it can, the injuries just came at the wrong time.  

The thing I hate about Donaldson is his attitude.  If you are going to hit like sh*t and field, okay.  But why is the piece of sh*t posing everything he hits a long fly ball?  More than one time it ended up not going out and he didn't run.  You want to be an a$$hole?  Okay, but at least play hard.  

Cashman hired a hitting coach this past offseason whose philosphy is "hit strikes hard!!!!"

You dont have to hit strikes hard to get base hits. 

8 hours ago, chirorob said:

They were crushed by injuries.

This lineup is much different with Benitendi leading off, Judge, Rizzo, a healthy Stanton, and DJ.

That being said, Cashmen is far too into analytics.  He has made trades for players who can only walk or K, or hit 220.  He went for Donaldson, he insisted for months that Gallo was a good player, he kept playing IKF when there was an obvious better option in AAA

Bold part - yup

Cashman hired a hitting coach a year who whose philosphy is "hit strikes hard!!"

Just bad baseball. You dont have to swing out of your shoes to make good contact and get hits. 

Goose Gossage was right. Yankees are run by Cashman and his team of number crunching nerds. 

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Cashman is good on small moves, Bader, trading Tauchman last year. He kills that stuff.

He botches big contracts, Judge, Hicks, Ellsbury etc.

• Upvote 1

On 10/24/2022 at 12:13 AM, undertow said:

Analytics ruined Cashman.....you would think someone who was in the organization in the 90's would understand how to build a team...there's literally a blue print.

Gene Michael and Bob Watson built the 90’s Yankees dynasty.  And that dynasty essentially carried Cashman all the way through the early 2010’s

The people who somehow give Mangini all the credit for being the shadow GM who built Rex Ryan jets teams— well here’s a case of the actual GM and actual team president in full view building and drafting the entire core and the subsequent guy living off what they did.  Oh and Michael drafted Judge too

• Upvote 1

On 10/29/2022 at 7:15 AM, Barton said:

Teams have an energy. There is not a stat for it.

The Yankees have been a flat team since Boone has taken over. He's not a leader. And he wasnt a leader when he was a player, either.

Boone did his 1st season.  "My guys are animals in there".

Then they lost a heartbreaker to Houston, and have never recovered, and Boone has become more and more passive, probably whipped by Cashman

21 hours ago, chirorob said:

Boone did his 1st season.  "My guys are animals in there".

Then they lost a heartbreaker to Houston, and have never recovered, and Boone has become more and more passive, probably whipped by Cashman

ehhhh I have never seen the Yankees be a confident team under Boone. Feels like a bunch of guys playing without a manager who leads. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2022 at 9:59 AM, maury77 said:

We kept severing but we had no choice.  He does have the talent to be a good, not great #2 starting pitcher

Agree on Nestor.  Yankees are kidding themselves if they think they can go into next season again with him at the top of the rotation.  I know I’m an old fogey but I like starting pitchers who can pitch more than 4 innings

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...