2022 New York Yankees

Maxman

10 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Josh Donaldson 36 years old to play third base is the dumbest move they could have possibly made. Gio Is one of the best fielding the position and has shown to be a clutch hitter in big situations and we let him go for a guy in decline and 7 years older ???????? Good they got rid of Sanchez since he's worth nothing at this stage. 

Urshela was one of my favorite Yankees .... Cashman should be lined up and Shot.

I am not one of these super advanced stat guys. I think Gio is an amazing defensive 3rd basemen. But I read that the metrics said he wasn't great.

He passed the eye test for me for sure. Loved his story too, the year he broke out was so cool.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Barton said:

Praise Jesus that Gary is off this team. I was legit refusing to watch this team if he was on it. 

Gary was a bad ex girlfriend. Every year the Yankees were going to move on and they didn't. They he would get another 450 at bats.

They legit had to get him off the roster, but I hope they have an actual plan in place soon.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Washed up?  Hardly...the only thing that worries me about him is staying healthy.  

hey if you are good with adding 36 + year old's to replace solid 29 year old's then yeah that's wonderful. The problem with this team is it has zero true contact hitters other than DJ . We still do not have a lead off hitter long term and the line up is still strike out heavy. And FWIW mark my words quote me do what ever you like Donaldson is finished and its a incredibly dumb trade.

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

I am not one of these super advanced stat guys. I think Gio is an amazing defensive 3rd basemen. But I read that the metrics said he wasn't great.

He passed the eye test for me for sure. Loved his story too, the year he broke out was so cool.

What stands out for me Max is his clutch hitting. He's an extremely tough out in big situations and in those big situations it was nice at times to see him and DJ back to back since in big situations everybody else just strikes out

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

hey if you are good with adding 36 + year old's to replace solid 29 year old's then yeah that's wonderful. The problem with this team is it has zero true contact hitters other than DJ . We still do not have a lead off hitter long term and the line up is still strike out heavy. And FWIW mark my words quote me do what ever you like Donaldson is finished and its a incredibly dumb trade.

We will see won't we?!  Gio only wished he could put up the numbers Donaldson did last year...never happen.  For the Yanks to take on his 50 mil contract, I'm putting my faith in their assessment.  If he can give the team a couple of productive years, I'm satisfied with that.

3 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

We will see won't we?!  Gio only wished he could put up the numbers Donaldson did last year...never happen.  For the Yanks to take on his 50 mil contract, I'm putting my faith in their assessment.  If he can give the team a couple of productive years, I'm satisfied with that.

.247 with 26 Homers and 72 RBI's ??? Those numbers ? with 114 strike outs in 452 AB's ??? LOL yeah he fits the Yankee strikeout Metric. Not to discount the fact he has missed 2 full years in the last 4. If he was 29 I would say yeah good trade but he's 36 and starting to break down. The moves that Cashman has made pretty much his entire time with the Yankees with the biggest pay roll in baseball available to him have been laughable and will probably continue to be. Lets see how long they let Volpe rot in the minors and **** with his head just like they did with Frasier a guy teams were offering up kings ransoms for .

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

.247 with 26 Homers and 72 RBI's ??? Those numbers ? with 114 strike outs in 452 AB's ??? LOL yeah he fits the Yankee strikeout Metric. Not to discount the fact he has missed 2 full years in the last 4. If he was 29 I would say yeah good trade but he's 36 and starting to break down. The moves that Cashman has made pretty much his entire time with the Yankees with the biggest pay roll in baseball available to him have been laughable and will probably continue to be. Lets see how long they let Volpe rot in the minors and **** with his head just like they did with Frasier a guy teams were offering up kings ransoms for .

I hear ya.  But that's how this team is built...been that way for several years now.  You just can't hang it on the signing of Donaldson.  I'm hoping the guy kills the ball...what is he like two years removed from his MVP year?  I would have to look it up.

7 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

I hear ya.  But that's how this team is built...been that way for several years now.  You just can't hang it on the signing of Donaldson.  I'm hoping the guy kills the ball...what is he like two years removed from his MVP year?  I would have to look it up.

Hey I'm with ya as well ....now that the deal is done all we can do is root for Donaldson, and I will moving forward, but man I think it was time after the last 2 years to inject some youth into this team like Gene Micheal did in 95-96 . We see other teams do it regularly but the Yankees still think the solution is adding aging stars and either trading our youth or letting them rot in the minors.

We had numerous top flight lead off hitters available the past 4 years and thought it was a better Idea to let an aging Gardner and DJ Lamahieu lead off which is insane. The constant addition of boom or bust hitter's will never amount to anything in the playoffs facing top flight pitching. Good to great pitchers regularly shut down home run hitters who strike out at an alarming rate. Funny thing is our pitchers showed up in the playoffs and our hitters who just a few short years ago were one of the most feared lineups in MLB could not hit their way out of a paper bag in game 7's and that should have been the tell tale sign but Cashman never got the memo.

Yankees as we know it are dead.

Harper, Machado, Freeman, Correa, Seager.... This team isn't willing to go extra mile to win. I never thought I'd be the guy who would say George is rolling in his grave because I understand there needs to be  a balance between spending and spending wisely, but this team is just dumb.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Read a thing that Judge can’t play home games currently because he isn’t vaccinated. 

Saw that earlier. Have to say, if that doesn't change, it is going to be a pretty big issue lol.

12 hours ago, Morrissey said:

Yankees as we know it are dead.

Harper, Machado, Freeman, Correa, Seager.... This team isn't willing to go extra mile to win. I never thought I'd be the guy who would say George is rolling in his grave because I understand there needs to be  a balance between spending and spending wisely, but this team is just dumb.

We'll see...spending money is only a part of winning a championship.  It makes you competitive.  Plus, the Judge contract is coming next year and he won't be giving the Yanks a hometown discount.  

6 hours ago, Barton said:

Another ho-hum offseason so far for the Yankees. No significant improvements. 

Like others have said, how bad does Hal really want to win? I'm not seeing it.

How many years is the rotation gonna be Gerrit Cole and a bunch of #3's?

I can't believe they didn't try to improve the starting pitching yet. 

The Yankees need another starting pitcher. Nester Cortes as the # 5, I would rather him be in the bullpen but he is young and based on what he did last year, he deserves a shot.

But Sev, Montgomery and Jameson Taillon? Lots of injury concerns and Taillon has won double digit games once and he is 30.

Need help in that rotation. Devi is still only 22 and they are going to need someone to eat up innings.

• Upvote 1

On 3/15/2022 at 5:39 PM, Smashmouth said:

Agree 100%.  I know I’m in the minority but I liked having a Catcher who could actually hit. These trades suck.  Cashman sucks.  Last time he made an actual good move was 6 years ago stealing Gleybar from the cubs so they could rent Chapman for a few months

Stick is dead and no longer around to find gems in the draft.  I still think we make the playoffs this year but the future looks bleak.  The Steinbrenners need to move on from Cashman

• Upvote 1