Jump to content

2022 New York Yankees


Maxman
 Share

Recommended Posts

 

Anyone else read this stupidity as to why the Yankees didn't make an offer to Correa ? So they feel they have a future SS in Volpe yet he got 5 at bats this spring ? This is your number 1 prospect at SS and you give him 5 AB. Then they state they improved the defense and I understand Felefa and Higgy will certainly do that but they traded one of our better clutch hitters and fielders who hit 314 before the pandemic at 29 years old and replaced him with a 36 year old player who has missed 2 full seasons in the last 4 ???? Volpe is going to be coddled just like Frazier and destroyed by this organization and that total Idiot Brian Cashman . Just remember what Gene Micheal and Joe Torre did with Jeter who had hitting concernes when he first came up and actually struggled at the beginning but they stuck with him and got a HOF effort and one of the best hitters of his generation. Stand by as the Yankees destroy Volpe a kid who very well could have been on the opening day roster

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/news/yankees-carlos-correa-not-a-fit

Here's why Yankees didn't go for Correa

March 31st, 2022

Mark Feinsand

@feinsand

Share

Mar 31, 2022

 · 

2:48

Twins sign Correa, Judge in Arb.

When Carlos Correa signed a three-year contract with the Twins -- a deal that includes opt-outs after each of the first two seasons -- many wondered why the Yankees hadn’t tried to sign the All-Star shortstop to a similar short-term deal.

New York’s top two prospects -- Anthony Volpe and Oswald Peraza -- are both shortstops, one of the myriad reasons the Yankees weren’t in on the bidding for this offseason’s class of star shortstops. Corey Seager landed a 10-year, $325 million deal with the Rangers, while Marcus Semien also joined Texas, signing a seven-year, $175 million pact. Javier Báez (Tigers) and Trevor Story (Red Sox) signed six-year, $140 million contracts.

Correa didn’t find the long-term deal he had been seeking, choosing instead to take the shorter-term contract that averages $35.1 million. The Yankees might have been intrigued by the length of the deal, which would have kept the position open for one of the young shortstops, but the average annual value gave New York pause.

Hal Steinbrenner recently noted that the Yankees are already north of the $230 million CBT threshold, having recently taken on Josh Donaldson's contract in a trade with the Twins. According to Spotrac, the Yankees’ CBT payroll stands at approximately $251 million, which would already place them in the second tax bracket, adding a 12 percent surcharge to the base tax rate.

According to sources, the Yankees’ primary hesitation involved the non-financial penalties that come with passing the $270 million threshold, namely their first-round Draft pick being moved back 10 spots.

“If it was just about money, they may have made a bigger play for Correa on a short-term deal,” a source said. “But the Draft thing made it a non-starter, especially after the Donaldson deal.”

Although the Twins used the flexibility created by the Donaldson trade to acquire Correa, the Yankees believe the trade of Gary Sánchez and Gio Urshela for Donaldson, Isiah Kiner-Falefa and Ben Rortvedt helped address multiple spots -- third base, shortstop and catcher -- to vastly improve their defense.

Here comes the Judge
Speaking of the Yankees, GM Brian Cashman said recently that the team plans to make an offer to Aaron Judge with the hope of signing the All-Star to a contract extension. Judge has said he would like to get a deal wrapped up prior to Opening Day, after which he won’t negotiate until the end of the season, when he’s slated to become a free agent.

Mar 26, 2022

 ·

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/2/2022 at 4:46 PM, Dwight Englewood said:

Agree 100%.  I know I’m in the minority but I liked having a Catcher who could actually hit. These trades suck.  Cashman sucks.  Last time he made an actual good move was 6 years ago stealing Gleybar from the cubs so they could rent Chapman for a few months

 

Stick is dead and no longer around to find gems in the draft.  I still think we make the playoffs this year but the future looks bleak.  The Steinbrenners need to move on from Cashman

 

Higgy can hit everytime the guy would get on a roll the Yankees would put that dud Sanchez back in an ruin his momentum. If Higgy gets to hold the Job this year he will hit 30 HR's and he will hit for average unlike the .200 BA Sanchez was putting up. Higgy had a huge spring and I hope that carries into the season and I believe it will. Also he is amazing at handling the staff and is one of the best at blocking balls in the dirt I have ever seen

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Higgy can hit everytime the guy would get on a roll the Yankees would put that dud Sanchez back in an ruin his momentum. If Higgy gets to hold the Job this year he will hit 30 HR's and he will hit for average unlike the .200 BA Sanchez was putting up. Higgy had a huge spring and I hope that carries into the season and I believe it will. Also he is amazing at handling the staff and is one of the best at blocking balls in the dirt I have ever seen

I think Higashioka can be an ok hitter for OBP but 30 hrs?  That’s a stretch

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

 

Anyone else read this stupidity as to why the Yankees didn't make an offer to Correa ? So they feel they have a future SS in Volpe yet he got 5 at bats this spring ? This is your number 1 prospect at SS and you give him 5 AB. Then they state they improved the defense and I understand Felefa and Higgy will certainly do that but they traded one of our better clutch hitters and fielders who hit 314 before the pandemic at 29 years old and replaced him with a 36 year old player who has missed 2 full seasons in the last 4 ???? Volpe is going to be coddled just like Frazier and destroyed by this organization and that total Idiot Brian Cashman . Just remember what Gene Micheal and Joe Torre did with Jeter who had hitting concernes when he first came up and actually struggled at the beginning but they stuck with him and got a HOF effort and one of the best hitters of his generation. Stand by as the Yankees destroy Volpe a kid who very well could have been on the opening day roster

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/news/yankees-carlos-correa-not-a-fit

Here's why Yankees didn't go for Correa

March 31st, 2022

Mark Feinsand

@feinsand

Share

Mar 31, 2022

 · 

2:48

Twins sign Correa, Judge in Arb.

When Carlos Correa signed a three-year contract with the Twins -- a deal that includes opt-outs after each of the first two seasons -- many wondered why the Yankees hadn’t tried to sign the All-Star shortstop to a similar short-term deal.

New York’s top two prospects -- Anthony Volpe and Oswald Peraza -- are both shortstops, one of the myriad reasons the Yankees weren’t in on the bidding for this offseason’s class of star shortstops. Corey Seager landed a 10-year, $325 million deal with the Rangers, while Marcus Semien also joined Texas, signing a seven-year, $175 million pact. Javier Báez (Tigers) and Trevor Story (Red Sox) signed six-year, $140 million contracts.

Correa didn’t find the long-term deal he had been seeking, choosing instead to take the shorter-term contract that averages $35.1 million. The Yankees might have been intrigued by the length of the deal, which would have kept the position open for one of the young shortstops, but the average annual value gave New York pause.

Hal Steinbrenner recently noted that the Yankees are already north of the $230 million CBT threshold, having recently taken on Josh Donaldson's contract in a trade with the Twins. According to Spotrac, the Yankees’ CBT payroll stands at approximately $251 million, which would already place them in the second tax bracket, adding a 12 percent surcharge to the base tax rate.

According to sources, the Yankees’ primary hesitation involved the non-financial penalties that come with passing the $270 million threshold, namely their first-round Draft pick being moved back 10 spots.

“If it was just about money, they may have made a bigger play for Correa on a short-term deal,” a source said. “But the Draft thing made it a non-starter, especially after the Donaldson deal.”

Although the Twins used the flexibility created by the Donaldson trade to acquire Correa, the Yankees believe the trade of Gary Sánchez and Gio Urshela for Donaldson, Isiah Kiner-Falefa and Ben Rortvedt helped address multiple spots -- third base, shortstop and catcher -- to vastly improve their defense.

Here comes the Judge
Speaking of the Yankees, GM Brian Cashman said recently that the team plans to make an offer to Aaron Judge with the hope of signing the All-Star to a contract extension. Judge has said he would like to get a deal wrapped up prior to Opening Day, after which he won’t negotiate until the end of the season, when he’s slated to become a free agent.

Mar 26, 2022

 ·

I have no problem passing on Correa. Love Volpe, and there is other top SS talent in the organization. Can't pay every position.

It is weird how the Yankees are setup right now, but I like the improvements to the defense. A lot.  And they have an extra infielder every day so that protects them when injuries roll around and should keep guys fresh.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

I think there's also a lot of bad blood between some Yankee players and Correa and to give him a huge contract and still have Judge to sign?  I don't think so.

Yeah. I hope they get something done with Judge.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

I have no problem passing on Correa. Love Volpe, and there is other top SS talent in the organization. Can't pay every position.

It is weird how the Yankees are setup right now, but I like the improvements to the defense. A lot.  And they have an extra infielder every day so that protects them when injuries roll around and should keep guys fresh.

 

This was not so much about passing on Correa, I was OK with that. What I'm not ok with is not getting Volpe more time and more at bats in spring training. 5 AB for your top prospect is ridiculous. Like I said Jeter was barely 20 when he came up and had huge hitting concern's but they put him in there and he struggled for the first few months of the season and then never looked back. This current Yankee organization coddles its prospects just like they did Frazier. Volpe if he's that good a prospect get his ass in there he will adjust to the pro game if he's got the talent

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have to say that Judge was offered a very fair contract. 7 years at 30.5 per for a 30 yr old corner outfielder who has never been healthy 2 years in a row.........

Kind of a D move for Aaron to turn down this offer, IMO. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know its early but you cant have Hicks AND Gallo being on this team in the starting lineup. These guys have zero clutch factor, a .210 batting avg and a million K's.

The best team is probably 1 of them in centerfield, Stanton in Left and Gleyber/Donaldson/DJ/Rizzo splitting the field and DH duties every day. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Barton said:

I know its early but you cant have Hicks AND Gallo being on this team in the starting lineup. These guys have zero clutch factor, a .210 batting avg and a million K's.

The best team is probably 1 of them in centerfield, Stanton in Left and Gleyber/Donaldson/DJ/Rizzo splitting the field and DH duties every day. 

Seem like judge in cf and Stanton in rf is the more likely option.

They have an extra IF and an extra OF so the lineups each day will be worth watching.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/9/2022 at 8:49 AM, Barton said:

I know its early but you cant have Hicks AND Gallo being on this team in the starting lineup. These guys have zero clutch factor, a .210 batting avg and a million K's.

The best team is probably 1 of them in centerfield, Stanton in Left and Gleyber/Donaldson/DJ/Rizzo splitting the field and DH duties every day. 

I know it's early...just two games.  But look how we won these two games...hr's.  This team is not built on clutch hitting and it will be the death of them.  Especially if they happen to make it to the playoffs where pitching is a premium and this team is sitting back on hr's.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

I know it's early...just two games.  But look how we won these two games...hr's.  This team is not built on clutch hitting and it will be the death of them.  Especially if they happen to make it to the playoffs where pitching is a premium and this team is sitting back on hr's.  

Yup. Same Ol Same Ol. Cashman just doesnt get it.

They should get rid of Gallo and try to acquire a Whitt Merrifield/Benintendi type - guys who put the ball in play and can run the bases.

And the rotation will need an anchor behind Cole. Counting on Severino is a huge risk. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/9/2022 at 8:30 AM, Barton said:

Have to say that Judge was offered a very fair contract. 7 years at 30.5 per for a 30 yr old corner outfielder who has never been healthy 2 years in a row.........

Kind of a D move for Aaron to turn down this offer, IMO. 

Especially after saying he wants to be a Yankee for life. If he really wanted to be a Yankee for life he takes that contract. He’s definitely in hot water with some of the fan base now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gotta replace Gallo/Hicks with another Rizzo type who can hit you .280 ish and sprays the ball all over the field and doesnt K much. 

Gallo/Hicks killing rallys so far in this game. Rizzo? 2 run RBI single. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Barton said:

Gotta replace Gallo/Hicks with another Rizzo type who can hit you .280 ish and sprays the ball all over the field and doesnt K much. 

Gallo/Hicks killing rallys so far in this game. Rizzo? 2 run RBI single. 

I hate Gallo.  That guy sucks.

Hicks is always hurt, nice job by Cash giving him a 7 year contract.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Austin Wells in the minors right now can be called up and be a much better hitter than Gallo. Also is a lefty.

You can put him and Stanton in left field/rotate at DH. Wells can also play some 1B.

This division may come down to 2 or 3 games. Ya cant have a guys like Gallo and Hicks screwing up rallys every week. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Barton said:

Just checking Gallos career numbers

career .206 hitter

That's right....... a career .206 hitter

Yankees are batting him fifth........

This guy shouldnt even be a starter. 

Gallo is the ultimate Sabremetrics player, everything is literally a strike out, walk or home run. He is a good fielder and base runner, but his at bats have been wretched so far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Barton said:

Just checking Gallos career numbers

career .206 hitter

That's right....... a career .206 hitter

Yankees are batting him fifth........

This guy shouldnt even be a starter. 

I think Cash is going to be to stubborn to admit he's wrong with this one.

Last season as a Yankee, he hit 160 with 88ks in 188 Ab's.  88 strikeouts to 30 base hits, almost exactly 3 times more strikeout than walks, which is unheard of.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Barton said:

Austin Wells in the minors right now can be called up and be a much better hitter than Gallo. Also is a lefty.

You can put him and Stanton in left field/rotate at DH. Wells can also play some 1B.

This division may come down to 2 or 3 games. Ya cant have a guys like Gallo and Hicks screwing up rallys every week. 

This Yankee team will win its share of games but they will never beat the Ray's who will win this division by at least 5 games. This lineup is loaded down with way too many strike out hitter's. I'm not sure WTF metric the Yankees are looking at but Constantly leading the Majors in strikeouts is not the way to go.

You can't win big games in the last 3 innings with homeruns or just relying on the homerun. This team does not hit behind the runners, they do not move runners over, and I can't remember the last time I saw a bunt. When this team gets someone on base it becomes pray for a Homerun, not move him to second or third and try to produce a run.

In the case of baseball in general most "professional" hitters can't even take advantage of a shift designed to get them out by stroking the ball the other way. Its really laughable that players keep hitting right into the shift with no attempt other than a few times a year someone lays down a bunt to the opposite side for an easy hit.

Baseball in the playoffs is a much much different game than the regular season and this Yankee team is not built to win in the playoffs vs the upper echelon of major league baseball teams. The Yankees are built to beat up on the garbage teams and its no longer about the pitching its about just how badly this team is built and managed when you see a guy like DJ sitting on the bench in game 3 vs your arch rival because you need to give a guy like Torres a game who in his own right needs AB's to right his own ship. So what's next we bring DJ back in and take out a hot Rizzo ? How are the Yankees, without an injury, going to give some of these players like DJ and Torres 550 AB's ? DJ one of the best hitters in all of baseball sitting on the bench should be all you need to know. 

FWIW this is not Boone this is Cashman with his stupid hands all over this team

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gallo in today's Post

"When I first got traded here I think they thought I was Babe Ruth, or something, I don’t know,” Gallo told The Post and smiled. "

More like Dave Kingman you clueless putz. Between you and Cole I don't know who I dislike more right now.

 

Cashman and his staff of Anal-lytic guru's really need to go. Alot of that talent that they/we all felt good about is going or has gone to Sh!t.

Frazier

Sanchez,

Andjuar,

Garcia

Bird : Oh wait he is back.

2 years ago Estevan Florial was one of the Yankees and MLB's top prospects. Where is he now ? 

I am really not liking this team. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, shawn306 said:

Gallo in today's Post

"When I first got traded here I think they thought I was Babe Ruth, or something, I don’t know,” Gallo told The Post and smiled. "

More like Dave Kingman you clueless putz. Between you and Cole I don't know who I dislike more right now.

 

Cashman and his staff of Anal-lytic guru's really need to go. Alot of that talent that they/we all felt good about is going or has gone to Sh!t.

Frazier

Sanchez,

Andjuar,

Garcia

Bird : Oh wait he is back.

2 years ago Estevan Florial was one of the Yankees and MLB's top prospects. Where is he now ? 

I am really not liking this team. 

Exactly. And what pisses me off more is the head games they play with these young prospects is criminal. IMHO I think its worse to let a player rot in the minors rather than bring them up and adjust to the pro game. I'm not sure WTF they are waiting for with these guys or if they are just using them for trade bait for high profile trades at the major league level.

With Sanchez he was so terrible behind the plate it should have been easy to trade him for a boat load early and from what we were hearing teams were offering all kinds of players for him. In the case of Frazier I believe the Mets wanted him as part of the deal for De Grom or Syndergaard and the Yankees refused. Garcia is still going to rot in the minors and there is no telling what they will do with Volpe or that other young prospect Dominguez.  Volpe should have been the guy this year if hes a top prospect no reason not to bring him up just like they did Jeter. Dominguez will be 20 this year and I would hope we get to see him next year in Spring training. Cashman is a joke

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...