2022 New York Yankees

Maxman

This team really feels like 1998. They do so many things well. No Mariano, so Chapman is legit the only question mark right now.

LF isn't a question mark, it is an exclamation point in a bad way.

On 4/28/2022 at 12:31 PM, Dwight Englewood said:

King is arguably the best middle reliever in baseball right now

Chapman said he was on the Orioles broadcast.  Said Holmes wasn't far behind.

2 hours ago, PS17 said:

Fire Chapman into the sun. Jesus Christ. And Boone can **** off too. All of these great pitchers in the pen, King literally unhittable, and we bring in this erratic abuser? 

Decent win, but it should have never come to that in the 9th. 

I get the Chapman hate, but why would you want to stretch King out there?  He threw three as it was.  Facing the bottom of the order up two, I am fine with Chapman there.  He is struggling.  Big whoop. He'll get better or he won't.  The time to work things out is May against the Orioles. 

.I get why everybody is down on Gallo.  He is what he is, but at least he plays D. .  I assume they will add somebody

Look, as bad as the Jets have been for the last 10 years, I’m enjoying the Yanks and Celtics right now (weird combo, I know). That being said, I really do miss the days when the lead off batter was a fast guy who could get on base and steal.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, maury77 said:

Look, as bad as the Jets have been for the last 10 years, I’m enjoying the Yanks and Celtics right now (weird combo, I know). That being said, I really do miss the days when the lead off batter was a fast guy who could get on base and steal.

When I really got into baseball, the Yanks lead off was Rickey Henderson.   I LOVED that guy, and I still like that style of player.

A guy who gets on, has some pop, can run, steal bases.   I know analytics, blah blah blah, but there is also a mental aspect to sports.   "If I walk this guy, it's a double".

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, chirorob said:

When I really got into baseball, the Yanks lead off was Rickey Henderson.   I LOVED that guy, and I still like that style of player.

A guy who gets on, has some pop, can run, steal bases.   I know analytics, blah blah blah, but there is also a mental aspect to sports.   "If I walk this guy, it's a double".

There's no gray area with the analytics crowd either. For instance it will be something where they spew out the numbers but don't comment on the fact that the current closer can't stop a nose bleed. I see it in sports betting all the time. There's no nuance. And then you hear them talk about tweaking their 'model'. They're trying to talk straight math in regards to human beings. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

There's no gray area with the analytics crowd either. For instance it will be something where they spew out the numbers but don't comment on the fact that the current closer can't stop a nose bleed. I see it in sports betting all the time. There's no nuance. And then you hear them talk about tweaking their 'model'. They're trying to talk straight math in regards to human beings. 

Why are some players better in the playoffs, and some fold?  There is a human element to all sports.

If a pitcher is looking at the runner on 1st, he isn't 100% focused on the batter.  Or the batter is more likely to see a fastball then a breaking ball down, where the catcher has a harder time making a throw.  The crowd gets energized, and that pumps up the players.  All the things

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barton said:

Nothing wrong with cutting Aaron Hicks. Cant hit. Hasnt hit for years. Jogged towards a base hit in left field a couple weeks ago, guy scored from first base. Lazy throw to 2nd base today, so the runner tagged. Dude sucks. 

I have never been a Hicks fan. That contract absolutely never made sense to me. I think he is going to get some time to see if he can get on track. But they still owe him around 50 million dollars. So no way are they cutting him. Terrible contract.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, maury77 said:

You're a Celtics fan?  Boo.  I thought I liked you.

11 hours ago, chirorob said:

I kind of felt the same way, but I remember liking it when the Rangers were using Hargrove to lead off in the 70's.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

I have never been a Hicks fan. That contract absolutely never made sense to me. I think he is going to get some time to see if he can get on track. But they still owe him around 50 million dollars. So no way are they cutting him. Terrible contract.

Was at the game yesterday and Hicks just looks lost and overmatched out there.   He could barely make contact...no idea what he's doing but it isn't baseball.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Was at the game yesterday and Hicks just looks lost and overmatched out there.   He could barely make contact...no idea what he's doing but it isn't baseball.

His is not a mlb outfielder anymore.   Guy had 1 season ever with 400 at bats, and Cashman gave him 7 years.

Bring up Florial.  He is much better defensively, and can hit 200ish, which is all Hicks can do.   Maybe Florial improves with PT, if not, make a trade for an OF.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, chirorob said:

His is not a mlb outfielder anymore.   Guy had 1 season ever with 400 at bats, and Cashman gave him 7 years.

Bring up Florial.  He is much better defensively, and can hit 200ish, which is all Hicks can do.   Maybe Florial improves with PT, if not, make a trade for an OF.

They are saying Florial looks much improved this year. His stock as a prospect has dropped but he can't be worse than Hicks.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

They are saying Florial looks much improved this year. His stock as a prospect has dropped but he can't be worse than Hicks.

He has to be better defensively.   If he can hit at all, he's better.  And, he's young, so he can improve.

Thoughts on Donaldson's actions?  

Full disclosure, I'm a huge White Sox fan.  

Tim Anderson's article where he called himself the modern Robinson was a bit over the top.  I think I understand what he was going for, but he opens himself up to on the field smack talk/banter.  

Was it racist or was it just a known POS trying to get under the skin of an opposing team?  

Can any Yankee fans give their thoughts?  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Tim Anderson's article where he called himself the modern Robinson was a bit over the top.  I think I understand what he was going for, but he opens himself up to on the field smack talk/banter.  

Was it racist or was it just a known POS trying to get under the skin of an opposing team?  

I don't really understand the argument that calling the guy Jackie by way of implying that you sir are no Jack Robinson after he made the comparison in the first place is supposed to be racist. Basically what happened is that dude needed to calm down and he got told to calm down and he refused to calm down and hilarity ensued so he needed a big enough deflection but on the other hand I know who Tim Anderson is now.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Yeah, I'll give you some thoughts...Anderson better be prepared today for the Jackie Jackie Jackie Jackie thunder he brought on himself every time he comes to the plate...by the way, Anderson couldn't hold Robinson's jock.  He obviously has thin skin...something Robinson didn't have.

I'm being destroyed on a Sox forum I frequent for being a racist and showing my true colors because I saw it as trash talk or busting balls.   There's a huge uproar there and has morphed into a Trump thing.  

Donaldson has always been a POS, there's no disputing that.  I liken him to the instigator on a hockey team.  

26 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

I don't understand why people do this. I don't even like you guys.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

I'm a Sox fan that visits a Sox board.  What's confusing about that?

I was just looking for a Yankee fan's perspective on the topic to see if mine is wrong.

21 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Yeah, I'll give you some thoughts...Anderson better be prepared today for the Jackie Jackie Jackie Jackie thunder he brought on himself every time he comes to the plate...by the way, Anderson couldn't hold Robinson's jock.  He obviously has thin skin...something Robinson didn't have.

Sounds like it’s two guys who should just avoid each other instead of busting balls. Donaldson and Anderson have both been sh*t stirrers their entire careers. 

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I did not think it was racist at all.   Not everything is racist, it can just be something that someone said.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I did not think it was racist at all.   Not everything is racist, it can just be something that someone said.

Yeah.  I could be wrong, but it seems to me that it was a dig.  It doesn't have to be racist.  I'm sure if the guy had compared himself to Babe Ruth, he would have said "nice play, Babe."  It can be unecessary and disrespectful (towards Anderson) without being racist.

• Upvote 2

Stephen A. Smith said that stories like this detract from actual racist behavior. Because when real racism happens, people will roll their eyes because the boy cried wolf too many times. Anyway, Donaldson and Anderson seem meant for each other. 

I’m hoping this is finally the end of the Chapman The Closer era. Go Yanks.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Stephen A. Smith said that stories like this detract from actual racist behavior. Because when real racism happens, people will roll their eyes because the boy cried wolf too many times. Anyway, Donaldson and Anderson seem meant for each other. 

Bad day yesterday.

Chapman looks done, they are playing with one outfielder, and if Judge and Stanton don't get it done, it doesn't get done.

I don't expect DJ to hit 360 every year, but he needs to hit closer to 300 than the 250/260 he's hit the last year and a half

32 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Most definitely...Chapman is done.  His fastball is very flat and in today's game of pitchers throwing in the high 90's, he is just a shadow of the pitcher he was when his fastball was hitting 103 on the gun constantly.  

22 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I'm being destroyed on a Sox forum I frequent for being a racist and showing my true colors because I saw it as trash talk or busting balls.   There's a huge uproar there and has morphed into a Trump thing.  

Donaldson has always been a POS, there's no disputing that.  I liken him to the instigator on a hockey team.  

because there bias there. there going to stand up for there guy just like Yankees fans will do here. the Yankees are universally hated so i dont know where you would get an unbiased view. 

im a Mets fan and i think Anderson brought it on himself for calling himself the next Jackie Robinson. 

11 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I’ve come to the conclusion that I was wrong.  

TA7 brought the potential trash talk on himself, but Donaldson isn’t the person to bring that up.  It was a racist thing to say.

Thank you to everyone for their thoughts. 

So, to be clear.  A minority player compares himself to a great former minority player.   A second player calls him by the name that person had called himself, and that person is a racist.

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

So, to be clear.  A minority player compares himself to a great former minority player.   A second player calls him by the name that person had called himself, and that person is a racist.

He compared himself to Robinson, not as a player, but as someone trying to bring more African American children to the game of baseball.

Donaldson is a known instigator and POS. IMO, it’s not his place to call him that.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

He compared himself to Robinson, not as a player, but as someone trying to bring more African American children to the game of baseball.

Donaldson is a known instigator and POS. IMO, it’s not his place to call him that.

Saying someone is a POS, and saying they are racist are different things.

So, the answer is yes.  OK.  I'm done, I don't want this thread locked.

Nice win, but you can see some struggles coming.

Chapman on the IL   Chad Green, Tommy John.   King worked very heavy early, and is already showing it.  

I was amazed last night when they said the average catcher in MLB is hitting 214 this year, and teams have an average of 3 home runs from the catching position.   That makes Trevino's 225 and 2 HR look even better, not to mention the staff clearly likes him.   Higgy is what he is, a competent #2 catcher, not a #1.

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Nice win, but you can see some struggles coming.

Chapman on the IL   Chad Green, Tommy John.   King worked very heavy early, and is already showing it.  

I was amazed last night when they said the average catcher in MLB is hitting 214 this year, and teams have an average of 3 home runs from the catching position.   That makes Trevino's 225 and 2 HR look even better, not to mention the staff clearly likes him.   Higgy is what he is, a competent #2 catcher, not a #1.

Also, I’m a bit worried about the offense being too home run-reliant, again. I watch the Dodgers every now and then and they rip through teams with base hits. Constant pressure on the opposing pitchers. Even the Mets last night scored 7 runs in an inning with only singles and doubles. I’d like to see the Yankees hit a little more for average instead of relying on Judge, Rizzo, and Stanton to hit three home runs a game.

• Upvote 1