Defense gave up 450 yards

Rhg1084

3 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Can’t blame the offense for failing to stop a slant on 3rd and 12. Or 3rd and 15. 

But in the big picture, we CAN blame the offense for being terrible for all of our losses, no?  The defense was surprisingly good the first 3 weeks but we knew that wouldn't last.  

At some point this franchise needs to join the NFL in 2021 and become offense-first.  We have an awful lot of high picks invested in the O in the last 2 drafts, plus some decent coin spent at WR.  The expectation entering season was that the O, even with a rookie QB, needed to lead the way the moment Carl Lawson went down with an injury.  Need to start seeing that soon. 

I don't care that much about the D giving up tons of yardage.  That's how the NFL is and what we expected out of the defense this year from the outset.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

What happened?  All I heard last week was with Ridley out we were going to coast to a win.

Not from me.  I predicted an L today.  Young teams, especially ones with questionable talent and with a young coaching staff, are volatile.  A let-down game was inevitable.  Just wish it had waited until some time after the bye. 

Now we get to look forward to 2 weeks of toxicity and overreactions on this board.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Aided and abetted by the single worst Roughing the Passer call I have ever seen.

But like I said:  No doubt the D was awful today.  In every moment that mattered, they came up small.

Pointing out that our O is dogsh*t and is hurting our Defense every week does eliminate responsibility for the Defenses own poor play and big moment failures.

That roughing penalty killed the d

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But in the big picture, we CAN blame the offense for being terrible for all of our losses, no?  The defense was surprisingly good the first 3 weeks but we knew that wouldn't last.  

At some point this franchise needs to join the NFL in 2021 and become offense-first.  We have an awful lot of high picks invested in the O in the last 2 drafts, plus some decent coin spent at WR.  The expectation entering season was that the O, even with a rookie QB, needed to lead the way the moment Carl Lawson went down with an injury.  Need to start seeing that soon. 

I don't care that much about the D giving up tons of yardage.  That's how the NFL is and what we expected out of the defense this year from the outset.

Correct but in two different games (3 if you include the Titans) the offense played a better second half and the defense collapsed at the end, failing to get the ball back to the offense. 

The first half offensive woes of the team need to be resolved. It seems to be a combination of an overexcited Wilson and mediocre gameplan. They have 2 weeks to script a solution. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Do you think the Offense going 3 and out alot helps the Defense keep opposing yardage low?

No doubt the D was awful today.  In every moment that mattered, they came up small.

With that said, having a consistently bad, consistently low-TOP turnover-prone offense is a key to helping your Defense be worse in any statistical metric.

Usual excuse we have seen for 10 years about our defense.  If the D lets the other team drive the ball for 8 minute and score that is on them.

Offense stinks Defense is just as bad.

The Jets are so bad there is a focus on where the bad is at. The offense is clearly worse but somehow there is this false narrative the Jets defense is playing well. Nonsense. Complete and utter nonsense. Yes they had 7 sacks against TN, some stops against NE but when you look at the overall results, the D has not played well. NO they aren't as bad as the offense which is easily the worst offense in the NFL but that doesn't mean the D has played well. We have one win heading into week 6 for a reason. 

THIS IS A BAD FOOTBALL TEAM BUT GO AHEAD AND CALL IT DEVELOPING IF THATS HOW YOU SLEEP

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

31 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Usual excuse we have seen for 10 years about our defense. 

I think I showed in a recent thread, detailing the historic ineptitude of our offense the past 10 years, that this is a reason, not an excuse.

If the D lets the other team drive the ball for 8 minute and score that is on them.

Absolutely true.  Like I said earlier today, at every moment today, the Jets Defense came up small.

Offense stinks Defense is just as bad.

Not really, the D is better.  But at this point it's like arguing which pile of sh*te smells better.

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I have always loved this long time jets fan thought.  "It is the offenses fault for making our D tired by not getting 1st downs!"

Meanwhile the D take penalties consistently and can never get off the field on their own.

No, thats an old time football thought.

5 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

That’s after giving up 430 yards last week to a depleted Titans team as well. Saleh needs to get this thing under control, d keeps getting shredded 

I could care less about yardage given up in a win.

Especially when you add in an extra quarter

5 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Before today Bryce Hall gave up like 70 yards in 4 games. MC2 didn’t give up a completion longer than 12 yards. They were playing well. They had a bad week.

Anyone think it’s a coincidence that the team has been giving up bigger plays since Marcus Maye got injured?

I think the other factor is the defense is getting gassed. Everyone played sloppy today, plus we have a league worst offense that is getting owned in time of possession every week. 

What’s concerning is that they gave up 450 yards to that depleted Falcon offense.  The scheme looked suspect from the start.  Having your edge rushers covering Kyle Pitts one on one was asinine.  They had two legit threats to address, Patterson and Pitts, and both torched them.  Looked as if they tried to be too cute and outsmarted themselves today.  

6 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

That’s after giving up 430 yards last week to a depleted Titans team as well. Saleh needs to get this thing under control, d keeps getting shredded 

In the field constantly.

We had the same issue when Sam was here.

The league literally changed the rules to make offense de easier, and the Hets haven’t been able to run an offense in 10+ years.

Only a ‘special’ D can compensate for that. We don’t have Ray Lewis or Ed Reed.

I actually thought the defense played pretty well all things considered.  Matt Ryan simply played a fantastic first half, and is still an elite qb.

Look sometimes the other guys get paid too, and in the modern NFL when the qb is hot its hard to get stops.   Those were tight window throws against decent pressure..  And this is exactly the type of scheme that doesn't do well against the slow, methodical qbs with accurate timing routes.

Yea, it would have been nice to have our number 1 DE pass rushing, but end of the day I don't think our guys could have done too much more.  The problem was our offense being hot garbage and getting multiple three and outs that gassed out our D.

Let's be fair.  The defense is being crushed , physically by an inept offense.

You realize Atlanta had 24 plays to 6, starting the game?  

Finally, our DC needs be better.  If you called a lot of soft zones and a veteran shreds it consistently, you either have no confidence in your talent or are too stupid to adjust.

How do you have a defensive end on a TE, scoring 2 touchdowns?

Last, these horribly penalties on 3rd down are killing them.  Atlanta had a touchdown and 2 field goals on penalties called after successfully defending 3rd down.

None of these glaring errors occur on good teams.