Saleh and JD are going to get at least another year to make this work. 

With the cap space and draft picks available for 2022, this team will be better then.  How much better is the question?

JD/Saleh should be positioning as if 2022 was for all of the marbles-a return to the playoffs for the Johnsons.   Locking up a few more pieces this off season, like Foley and Moses, would be smart.

But it is hard to be too negative when the roster still stinks.  I think this is a better roster than 2020’s.  One reason the Jets are not that better this year is because the 2020 additions were not that great.  JD was still practicing.  

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, BettyBoop said:
  • How anyone could criticize Saleh at this point is just beyond me.  For the first time since Parcells we are actually seeing in-game adjustments, Saleh is pushing the right buttons in the second halves and it's good to see.  His defense is also overachieving given their age.

How, you got me, but there is a poster still pining for Gase - so, who knows.

Frankly, while i would prefer to win, this team is very watchable, especially in the 2nd half. We need more consistency for sure, but I still have hope that Saleh can make this team great. It is just going to take a bulk of this year to see any real progress. I am willing to watch them this year - not so much last year.

• Upvote 3
11 minutes ago, varjet said:

Saleh and JD are going to get at least another year to make this work. 

With the cap space and draft picks available for 2022, this team will be better then.  How much better is the question?

JD/Saleh should be positioning as if 2022 was for all of the marbles-a return to the playoffs for the Johnsons.   Locking up a few more pieces this off season, like Foley and Moses, would be smart.

But it is hard to be too negative when the roster still stinks.  I think this is a better roster than 2020’s.  One reason the Jets are not that better this year is because the 2020 additions were not that great.  JD was still practicing.  

Yep - it may not be playoffs or bust next year, but pretty dam close. We have to be at least an 8 or 9 win team next year to still have hope, but I am hoping for 10; of course, if no playoffs next year, 2023 is def. playoffs or bust.

• Upvote 1

I think our bye comes at the right time. You are right Saleh and his staff make great adjustments but their initial game plans frankly suck. Even though Sales said "you have to let Zach ball" they are still trying to force him into a box in the beginnings of games. 

With the bye though they have an opportunity to really evaluate things and change things to better match Zach and the players we have. Zach also needs to be better especially on routine plays

• Upvote 3
3 hours ago, BettyBoop said:
  • Emotions are running high right now.  Another slow start and another comeback stalled.  What do Jets fans expect at this point?

A few thoughts...

• The slow starts are puzzling.  I think it mostly has to do with the play calling.  I think they're trying too hard to get Zach into the flow of the game instead of having him dictate the flow.  Clearly the run game is not what we all expected it to be, yet they rely on it too often to start the game.
  • The defense is so young they're learning as they go along.  They got burned by the veteran Matt Ryan who carved them up.  Despite last week's showing by the D-line this team is still missing a legitimate pass rusher.  They had O sacks today.  It's a very high priority for next year, despite a returning Carl Lawson.
  • There's a position in professional football called the tight end.  All other teams have one (or three) but we have none.  It could become Zach's best friend.  Today the Jets "tight ends" had one catch for four yards.  That's not going to win games. 
  • It was surprising to see how the Jets receivers couldn't get separation against a lousy defense.  Mims had a good game and perhaps they'll find a way to get him more involved.  I still think Elijah Moore will be great and they have to get him more involved.  Douglas is going to have to sign a high-level WR in free agency and spend another high pick on one.  Keep an eye on Ronnie Bell from Michigan.  He's out all year and may drop to the third round (if he declares) and might be worth a pick there.
  • While I would love to blame today's game on the O-line that was just not the case.  They weren't great but they didn't lose the game for the Jets.

2022 Offseason

• As mentioned, above, a pass rusher is critical to this defense.  A guy like Aidan Hutchinson could be just what is needed.   Or a guy like Kyle Hamilton could be just the safety turned linebacker this team needs to stop those damn screens that kill us every game.
  • Also, a #1 receiver is desperately needed.  Trey Burkes from Arkansas could be had with our second first round pick especially if Geno is Geno.
  • Another move up could involve Tyler Linderbaum the center from Iowa.  He could elevate the OL tremendously.

Last Thoughts

• How anyone could criticize Saleh at this point is just beyond me.  For the first time since Parcells we are actually seeing in-game adjustments, Saleh is pushing the right buttons in the second halves and it's good to see.  His defense is also overachieving given their age.
  • I expect this team to play much better after they bye.  Saleh and team will make wholesale adjustments and Wilson will shine. 

You lost me at Mims had a good game and they will probably find a way to use him more. 

• Upvote 1

OFFENSE
• They need to dedicate to the run game

• They’re asking Wilson to do too much

• More spread formations, roll outs, quick hitter routes for our QB please

DEFENSE

• We are really missing Carl Lawson as expected

• I get trying to eliminate the big plays, but way too much stuff being given underneath = the big plays.

• The unit as a whole has been overachieving (especially the secondary), but can we make a stop when it matters?

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

How anyone could criticize Saleh at this point is just beyond me. 

Saleh is the head coach. He is responsible  for th success or failure of the team. The way this teams starts games is inexcusable and not sure how you can see it any other way. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Saleh is the head coach. He is responsible  for th success or failure of the team. The way this teams starts games is inexcusable and not sure how you can see it any other way. 

Agree, after the way the D played last week and then see their performance today was troubling.  I get the newness... but after 5 games and PS, and OTA you would think that the O could execute better for 60 minutes and not take off 1st halfs.  Anyway, the other troubling thing for me is the QB inaccuracy which if I recall correctly, was one of the reasons we wanted him?  

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, SOJ said:

Agree, after the way the D played last week and then see their performance today was troubling.  I get the newness... but after 5 games and PS, and OTA you would think that the O could execute better for 60 minutes and not take off 1st halfs.  Anyway, the other troubling thing for me is the QB inaccuracy which if I recall correctly, was one of the reasons we wanted him?  

This is the most troubling thing I see with Zach right now, and like you I also thought that was supposed to be his strength... I truly think the first 3 games has shell shocked this kid, which sucks, because there's no reason he should have been put in that position. That's what bothers me most is not putting him in the best situations to succeed. Play calling right now is horrendous. There's no 2 ways around that. I see the offense ATL had today, and I wonder what the hell LaFleur is thinking. Can we throw some quick slants, have some screens, spread offense etc, etc, etc... His offense is supposed to be predicated on confusing the defense with formations and movement, but all I see is the same formation and one guy going from one side of the line to the other. 

I believe in Saleh, but I hope he has the stones to recognize that he's in over his head and either gets him help, or is able to take the necessary action come the time. 

The fundamental flaw in this of course is that the other teams  get draft picks and cap space 

It will become more clear how bad this team is when the Bills humiliate them 

7 hours ago, BettyBoop said:
  • There's a position in professional football called the tight end.  All other teams have one (or three) but we have none.  It could become Zach's best friend.  Today the Jets "tight ends" had one catch for four yards.  That's not going to win games. 

Oh wow Dr. Football, great point!

You got a solution here?  You didn't mention a TE the rest of the post after this pretentious series of words with no value.  

8 hours ago, BettyBoop said:
  • Emotions are running high right now.  Another slow start and another comeback stalled.  What do Jets fans expect at this point?

A few thoughts...

• The slow starts are puzzling.  I think it mostly has to do with the play calling.  I think they're trying too hard to get Zach into the flow of the game instead of having him dictate the flow.  Clearly the run game is not what we all expected it to be, yet they rely on it too often to start the game.
  • The defense is so young they're learning as they go along.  They got burned by the veteran Matt Ryan who carved them up.  Despite last week's showing by the D-line this team is still missing a legitimate pass rusher.  They had O sacks today.  It's a very high priority for next year, despite a returning Carl Lawson.
  • It was surprising to see how the Jets receivers couldn't get separation against a lousy defense.  Mims had a good game and perhaps they'll find a way to get him more involved.  I still think Elijah Moore will be great and they have to get him more involved.  Douglas is going to have to sign a high-level WR in free agency and spend another high pick on one.  Keep an eye on Ronnie Bell from Michigan.  He's out all year and may drop to the third round (if he declares) and might be worth a pick there.
  • While I would love to blame today's game on the O-line that was just not the case.  They weren't great but they didn't lose the game for the Jets.

2022 Offseason

• As mentioned, above, a pass rusher is critical to this defense.  A guy like Aidan Hutchinson could be just what is needed.   Or a guy like Kyle Hamilton could be just the safety turned linebacker this team needs to stop those damn screens that kill us every game.
  • Also, a #1 receiver is desperately needed.  Trey Burkes from Arkansas could be had with our second first round pick especially if Geno is Geno.
  • Another move up could involve Tyler Linderbaum the center from Iowa.  He could elevate the OL tremendously.

Last Thoughts

• I expect this team to play much better after they bye.  Saleh and team will make wholesale adjustments and Wilson will shine. 

Your nostradamus?

8 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

You what else would be good to see? pre-game adjustments, he can adjust so well in 15 mins, why can he adjust with a week´s notice?

49 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh wow Dr. Football, great point!

You got a solution here?  You didn't mention a TE the rest of the post after this pretentious series of words with no value.  

Hey!  My stalker is back!  How you doin?