JD's and Salah's plan to replace Greg Knapp?

Just now, Pichula said:

He missed one “easy” throw that had an impact on the game is what I mean. Quarterbacks complete 60-70% of their passes, not 100%.

Yeah. The Crowder one was glaring, and was a big miss, but he misses a lot of check down plays as well. That's my issue. I just want to see him start to correct that issue. 

If he hit those check down passes his completion percentage would be over 60% instead of under.

1 minute ago, Pichula said:

I’m just giving you the facts. He missed one short pass to crowder near the end of the first half. Show me the other one 

I honestly don't  feel like going through it. He missed a pass in the flat, he hit Moses on the back of the head on a screen, he over threw Mims on the sideline when he was open. He also makes his receivers  dive for balls when they are open. 

That was just off the top off head.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I honestly don't  feel like going through it. He missed a pass in the flat, he hit Moses on the back of the head on a screen, he over threw Mims on the sideline when he was open. He also makes his receivers  dive for balls when they are open. 

That was just off the top off head.

You’re not being very specific 

• WTF? 1

2 hours ago, Pichula said:

He missed one throw to crowder low which impacted the game. We have a lot bigger issues on offense than this. It’s magnified because we are frustrated with the overall output of the offense but it’s not the issue. Your offense should be able to survive 1-2 bad throws a game, much more deeply rooted problems in this offensive scheme and personnel 

I don’t think you watched the game. Wilson missed numerous easy af throws. Throws that a high school QB can make too. 5-6 throws easy. And then there were throws he should’ve made or the placements should’ve been much better. Throws 5 yard down the field should be put where the receiver can catch and not lose momentum but Wilson throws momentum killing passes. These dinks and dunks should be the bread and butter. 

In short, even some of his completions are garbage throws. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jet2020 said:

I don’t think you watched the game. Wilson missed numerous easy af throws. Throws that a high school QB can make too. 5-6 throws easy. And then there were throws he should’ve made or the placements should’ve been much better. Throws 5 yard down the field should be put where the receiver can catch and not lose momentum but Wilson throws momentum killing passes. These dinks and dunks should be the bread and butter. 

In short, even some of his completions are garbage throws. 

I’ve watched the game a couple of times. He dirted the crowder pass. Other than that I can’t find another one. Please show me 

Just now, maury77 said:

It is not solely about completion percentage, the ball placement is all over the place. 

Yes it needs to improve, but receivers need to catch, and get open, and not run out of bounds. And the player caller needs to do a better job. The defense needs to get us more than 3 snaps in the first quarter. Trying to distill today’s offensive struggles on Wilson missing short passes is a ridiculous oversimplification. 

• Upvote 1

Said it from the moment is was announced. Matt Cavanaugh is HOT GARBAGE as a coach and for all the gamooks who said “Sanchez had excellent mechanics and footwork under him the 1st time around.” Well,……..Wilson’s mechanics are not improving and it’s reflected in his poor accuracy on “gimme” dinks and dunks through 5 weeks. 

Knapp was nothing special either, he had a decent track record, but let’s stop acting like he was the key QB whisperer and the only resource to Wilson’s progression & development. As many said here before, bring in another coach and veteran backup for example. 

This is an Organizational issue in mismanagement and poor coaching. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Said it from the moment is was announced. Matt Cavanaugh is HOT GARBAGE as a coach and for all the gamooks who said “Sanchez had excellent mechanics and footwork under him the 1st time around.” Well,……..Wilson’s mechanics are not improving and it’s reflected in his poor accuracy on “gimme” dinks and dunks through 5 weeks. 

Knapp was nothing special either, he had a decent track record, but let’s stop acting like he was the key QB whisperer and the only resource to Wilson’s progression & development. As many said here before, bring in another coach and veteran backup for example. 

This is an Organizational issue in mismanagement and poor coaching. 

Missing short throws is a mental block not a mechanical issue. Darnold was pin point on short throws and his mechanics were non existent. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Look, I'm not going to argue this. Anyone can see he has a real issue with short passes

Yeah his short game struggles are real and it seems to be new problem.  That's what started me wondering about his development. 

I also think you are being harsh on some stuff.  Like I agree he was late on the throw to Moore but he was making something happen and it was a good read.   I saw that play as something to build on. 

Resetting the clock did not mean the first year is free.  

There are some good signs and bad signs. I think he will make it to be a FQB, but everyone should be able to see the other side of the coin. This story isn't written yet.  

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Derptard on the internet thinks professional coaches who have dedicated their lives to NFL football do not even have a plan.

Disagree with the approach all you want but hot takes like this are just straight retarded. 

You are dumb. Stop posting on football message boards.

What is this 1990? Retarded? You're so edgy and witty.

There isnt an approach. My opinion is backed up from what is shown on the field. 

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

Jets fans have an eye for this sort of thing.  We have a lot of experience.  It’s not too soon to call it.  

In fact, I can’t think of another rookie Jets quarterback that telegraphed a bust so easily and so quickly.  Zach Wilson can’t complete a pass the length of your dining room table.  

SAR I

Mark Sanchez

3 hours ago, Action Zachtion said:

Your bitterness blinds you lol.  Even this week he put some encouraging stuff on tape. 

Just cause the last 35 busted doesn't mean this one will.  

Not sure what SAR I is bitter about but you hit the nail right on the head. Is it because they got rid of Macc, Gase or because he was dumb enough to spend on season tix? I guess that gives you the right to be bitter but he'll never get over himself.   

1 hour ago, Pichula said:

I’ve watched the game a couple of times. He dirted the crowder pass. Other than that I can’t find another one. Please show me 

I’m sure someone will post a “wk5 every Wilson Pass” video, cuz we Jets fans are just so miserable. I’m just not miserable enough to watch that garbage again. But easy 5-6 passes. Even the announcers called it saying he needs to hit on these “boring” passes and let those “3rd and longs turn into 3rd and shorts”. Precise quotes. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

Have all your years of Jets fandom taught you nothing?

It's not coaching.  Every year, half the first round quarterbacks bust and once again we drew the short straw.  Zach Wilson is this year's Josh Rosen.

We'll argue this for another 2 years until he's traded for a 6th rounder.  That's always entertaining.

SAR I

Zach has had a shaky start but missing these easy passes isn’t a talent limitation. It’s a mental thing, something that takes time and practice to develop. Well, Zach is getting a 17 game live practice sessions. That oughta help. These are issues coaches can help with. If anything, it only gets better. Look at Darnold. Your beloved coach held him back. He’s been great in Carolina already surpassing 300 yard games he had in NY in 3 years I believe. 

Takes time and a half decent coach, which we didn’t have the last 2 years at least. 

3 hours ago, Action Zachtion said:

I didn't get past point 1 cause I don't think that's true. I think he is reading things well for a rookie.  When they show the all 22 clips he makes lots of good reads.  

I think you are talking about his progression reads (eg hi lo type things) and coverage reads (zone/man).  I was actually talking about the very first read..  Namely the initial, am I getting blitzed vs my protection read.  This is important b/c it sets a qbs internal clock and changes whether they go to their hot route or not.

Well, in almost every single play he seems confused as to whether he is getting rushed or not.  Like Darnold lvl bad..  Which is why he sometimes gets happy feet when he doesnt need too, and why in others he holds the ball way too long when he should simply throw it away.

The difference between Mat Ryan (who does this about as well as any qb ever) was glaring.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We have a rookie HC, rookie DC (Ulbrich was an interim Dc for a few games last year) , Rookie OC and Rookie QB and we lost knapp who was a real key guy.

We are going to struggle, the whole key is are these guys going to learn from their errors.

Add to that, and there's a lot to add, is just lack of talent. This team lacks talent.  It doesnt grow on trees.  JD is even a new GM learning on the job.  But he did have a great mentor in Ozzie. Regardless, he's here and we're just going to have to swing with it until they get better and add quality players.  The new picks, they will have to develop. The FA's will have to be better choices.  The CS, which is also new and learning, needs to adapt better. And how they handle Zach needs to be seriously looked at.  They obviously arent going with the vet QB for a year approach and sit Zach like Reid did with Mahomes.  I think this was a huge mistake.  They went with the Peyton Manning/Aikman 1st year, throw it up there and see what happens approach.  Ok well this is what you get when your team isnt complete. See also Troy Aikman's 1st year. 1-15. Zach has shown some promise and has lots to work on, no doubt but he has the skill set to develop.  Again, the win-loss record this year is irrelevant. What matters is progress, development, seeing improvement, getting these kids experience.  While this is not happening as quickly as we all like, see Dallas with JJ and Aikman 1989 1-15. Thats what we're practically witnessing.  Next year I believe Zach, Saleh, JD and the Jets will make considerable strides.  JD will continue to improve the OL and get another edge to compliment Lawson when he returns.  And JD will get Zach a TE. Look at Zach's games at BYU. He was very very good when he had a TE to work with. In fact, one of his closest friends was the TE at BYU and he is comng out next year.  hey had a special connection. Its just crucial for Jets to get him a TE.  As the OL gets better, so will the running game get better which in turn makes the pasing game better.  Cowboys were crap in '89 then they went off with all those picks and added Irving, Smith and that monster OL.  This is going to take time.  They need to add a center, guard, RT, TE, edge, # 1WR, RB, and a shut down CB.  Thats a lot of missing pieces but many can be added next year - and developed. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Hael said:

I think you are talking about his progression reads (eg hi lo type things) and coverage reads (zone/man).  I was actually talking about the very first read..  Namely the initial, am I getting blitzed vs my protection read.  This is important b/c it sets a qbs internal clock and changes whether they go to their hot route or not.

Well, in almost every single play he seems confused as to whether he is getting rushed or not.  Like Darnold lvl bad..  Which is why he sometimes gets happy feet when he doesnt need too, and why in others he holds the ball way too long when he should simply throw it away.

The difference between Mat Ryan (who does this about as well as any qb ever) was glaring.

Oh I got you.  That makes sense. 

The OLine seems to be getting better.  Maybe he needs to see them hold blocks for a couple weeks? 

They had been hot garbage with stunts going through the A gap untouched.  Dudes just slicing through the middle of the OLine... So bad at times I couldn't understand why (GVR most often with the Ole!) 

There wasn't a bad read on lots of those first weeks, just a dude inexplicably busting through.  So I think being jumpy makes sense.  I've noticed the happy feet but put it on the OLine.  I'm being to generous to Zach, but I do think the jail breaks have to be a factor.  

• Sympathy 1