Sam Wilson

Bronx

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Hey, you wanted to see the short throws he screwed up. Here they are in their glory

I acknowledged the crowder one. The OL in the back one is not an accuracy thing. The griffin throws looked like he intentionally dirted it since the defender was all over griffin and he was behind the line of scrimmage. 

2 minutes ago, Pichula said:

I acknowledged the crowder one. The OL in the back one is not an accuracy thing. The griffin throws looked like he intentionally dirted it since the defender was all over griffin and he was behind the line of scrimmage. 

Sure, his accuracy  on short throws is fine. No problem at all

3 minutes ago, Pichula said:

Let's stop the denial.

4 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

For now I’m just praying that Douglas is smart enough to move on from his own blunder quickly and us the balls to use the #1 overall this coming year on a QB

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

That will never happen. It shouldn't happen. This is about you puffing out your chest after five games, nothing more. Good day, Sir.

44 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Darnold makes those throws in general!

So what????

Wilson is a ROOKIE and will get better...

The Truth is we now ride or die with Zach Wilson...

Let's Go Jets!!

I’m as tired of the Darnold comps as you are, but I think you’re ignoring something we should all have learned watching him for 3 years…  the “Wilson is a rookie, and he’ll get better…” stuff is far from a given. In fact it’s far from true. There is no guarantee that he will get much better.
Granted there could/should be some small refinement or improvements, but let’s be honest here, it isn’t his first year playing QB. The kid has been playing the position for years. He’s been coached by elite QB gurus since he was a teenager.

Look at the good young QBs playing in the league now. Guys like Watson, Burrow, Murray, Herbert, Mayfield, Jackson… from day one you knew they had “it”. Then look at guys who took a year like Allen and Mahomes. They had freakish talent and you could see it from day one. 

Then look at the guys like Trubisky, Rosen, Sam, Locke, etc. you saw them play, and you knew they’d never be anything special. Right now this is the group Wilson and his class of ‘21 belongs in, with one possible exception.

It’s only 5 weeks in, but if I had to bet money on it right now, I don’t see one QB taken in the 1st round this year becoming close to elite, with the exception of Trevor Lawrence (and right now I’m not sure he’s better than the Houston kid, Mills).

I hate being a downer, but I’m very disappointed with what I’m seeing from Wilson. Rookie mistakes should be mental ones, not physical, and he’s making way too many of both.That’s concerning.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Sure, his accuracy  on short throws is fine. No problem at all

It’s something that needs to be corrected. But it’s not impacting our results in the way that video or some posters make it seem. The offense was dead for the entire half and his first short miss didn’t happen until basically the final play. We have much bigger issues. 

5 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I’m as tired of the Darnold comps as you are, but I think you’re ignoring something we should all have learned watching him for 3 years…  the “Wilson is a rookie, and he’ll get better…” stuff is far from a given. In fact it’s far from true. There is no guarantee that he will get much better.
Granted there could/should be some small refinement or improvements, but let’s be honest here, it isn’t his first year playing QB. The kid has been playing the position for years. He’s been coached by elite QB gurus since he was a teenager.

Look at the good young QBs playing in the league now. Guys like Burrow, Murray, Herbert, Mayfield, Jackson… from day one you knew they had “it”. Then look at guys who took a year like Allen and Mahomes. They had freakish talent and you could see it from day one. 

Then look at the guys like Trubisky, Rosen, Sam, Locke, etc. you saw them play, and you knew they’d never be anything special. Right now this is the group Wilson and his class of ‘21 belongs in, with one possible exception.

It’s only 5 weeks in, but if I had to bet money on it right now, I don’t see one QB taken in the 1st round this year becoming close to elite, with the exception of Trevor Lawrence (and right now I’m not sure he’s better than the Houston kid, Mills).

I hate being a downer, but I’m very disappointed with what I’m seeing from Wilson. Rookie mistakes should be mental ones, not physical, and he’s making way more of the latter than the former. That’s concerning.

I agree with you but not every QB starts like gangbusters and we have to hope that the Jets offensive plan to develop Wilson is superior to Gase and Co!

I will say it again I wanted Zach to sit behind someone!

The team and pressure are immense and I saw flaws in his game that need correcting, doesn't make him a bad pick but it does mean we need a plan to grow him!

3 minutes ago, Pichula said:

It’s something that needs to be corrected. But it’s not impacting our results in the way that video or some posters make it seem. The offense was dead for the entire half and his first short miss didn’t happen until basically the final play. We have much bigger issues. 

I disagree.  You make the simple throws and get the offense going.  How can you inspire missing basic throws?

• Upvote 1

Just now, JiFapono said:

I'm not sure he's worthy of the #1 overall pick (Wilson wasnt worthy over #2 but I digress) but I'd probably take Matt Corral over Zach Wilson gun to head right now. 

That would be an interesting decision.  I do feel Corral has a toughness to him that will serve him well in the NFL.    

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

It’s just nuts because this is what he actually did good coming in. Game seems to big for him right now, been nice to let him sit awhile to get use to it but powers that be thought he was ready. Still alot of time in the season but early returns are pretty bleak. 

Yes, I was all for letting him sit.  Would have preferred it.   Especially with this OL, new O, young team.  There are mistakes everywhere on routes, drops and of course, by Wilson.

Let him sit, let the OL settle in, let the WR's understand their routes and let Zach come in around week 10.  

btw...your point about what he was good at, it's why I'm not overly concerned right now.  He's clearly pressing and clearly thinking far too much.  His head must be spinning.

The question is will the game really slow down for him and will he be able to handle the pressure....That's what we don't know and, to me, that's the biggest question we're going to find out - but it should not have been expected by week 5. or 10 or even this entire season.

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He did.

He'll be fine.  These are little things he needs to clean up and will.  This game is really fast for him right now and has a lot being thrown at him. 

I suspect he's thinking far too much.  Why he's been successful on the off-platform stuff is because he's out of his head.  This will come.  

This I pray......

• Upvote 1

Wilson vs the Falcons reminded me of the kickers in the Packers and Bengals game.  All the talents there, but psychologically not confident and trying too hard not to mess up and over compensating because of it on his throws.   Not saying this is all that’s wrong, but hard to keep your confidence with all the INT he’s thrown so far. He’ll be ok when things slow down for him..hopefully sooner than later.

22 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Funny, many of us said we were swapping out Sam for a smaller weaker version of Sam who played worse competition.  And here we are.

People here legit think Zach having a better season than Darnold.  

Look, I kid the little guy but I dont want him to suck.  Hopefully this is early growing pains but right now he's a disaster. 

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

I agree with you but not every QB starts like gangbusters and we have to hope that the Jets offensive plan to develop Wilson is superior to Gase and Co!

I will say it again I wanted Zach to sit behind someone!

The team and pressure are immense and I saw flaws in his game that need correcting, doesn't make him a bad pick but it does mean we need a plan to grow him!

I think you and I are mostly in agreement here, but we’re thinking about this from the mindset of the NFL we grew up with, not the current one.

I’m not sure exactly when it changed, but teams aren’t sitting these kids 3-4 years anymore. They’re throwing them out there and letting them sink or swim., and it seems like “what you see is what you got.”

Your memory might be better than mine, but aside from Allen, I can’t think of a single young QB who has gradually matured into an elite QB in the last 5 years other than Allen. (Who needed two) 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, SteveAoikiAsics said:

Sometimes it’s not accuracy related and has more to do with WR and QB not being on the same page. 

Not on the passes I'm talking about.

3-5 times a game he just badly misses guys -- throws the ball way behind Corey Davis on a drag route or throws it in the dirt on a swing or wheel to Michael Carter. It's a real concern.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

That would be an interesting decision.  I do feel Corral has a toughness to him that will serve him well in the NFL.    

He's got big balls, not scared of competition, has the clutch gene running through him and has a very well rounded game.  3 year starter in the SEC, reviving a terrible program.  There is a lot to like IMO about Corral. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Bronx said:

I disagree.  You make the simple throws and get the offense going.  How can you inspire missing basic throws?

Again, there was no simple throw missed until the crowder play which was at the end of the half. So the idea that the short misses is what stalled the offense is just not factual.

17 minutes ago, Pichula said:

I know, it shouldn't  effect momentum  at all when your QB misses a pass  that is equivalent  of a layup in basketball.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Almost every game Wilson has hand at least a handful of throws where his mechanics have been off like this. This is correctable, but they have to coach this out of him rep after rep. There really is no higher priority on the Jets right now than drilling his footwork on every rep. 

I am amazed how these flaws were missed by the entire scouting department and/or not addressed during the off season. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

He's got big balls, not scared of competition, has the clutch gene running through him and has a very well rounded game.  3 year starter in the SEC, reviving a terrible program.  There is a lot to like IMO about Corral. 

He’s from Southern California so the only real question is….does he surf or is he a kook boogey boarder? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I think you and I are mostly in agreement here, but we’re thinking about this from the mindset of the NFL we grew up with, not the current one.

I’m not sure exactly when it changed, but teams aren’t sitting these kids 3-4 years anymore. They’re throwing them out there and letting them sink or swim., and it seems like “what you see is what you got.”

Your memory might be better than mine, but aside from Allen, I can’t think of a single young QB who has gradually matured into an elite QB in the last 5 years other than Allen. (Who needed two) 

I was thinking of Mahomes (who I wanted drafted) he sat.  It all depends on the team, he Jets have stunk and had a new HC, OC etc and I think sitting Zach would not have been a bad thing but I agree common wisdom is these guys "have to start" now right away..