Denzel Mims: # 1 in the NFL in Yards per Reception and Yards per Target

Jetsfan80

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Until Mims masters theoretical physics, automotive repair, and can bake a soufflé that doesn't collapse when you take it out of the oven, how can we trust him to run go routes and catch jump balls in the red zone?

You left out proves he knows where to line up.  And not have the rookie QB tell the 2nd year WR where he should be and the HC having to call TO.

That would be a huge help 

• Sympathy 1

54 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not sure if you're being facetious or not.  Before I proceed with dismantling this argument with a quickness, can you confirm whether you're a "free Denzel" guy or not?

Obviously I am being sarcastic..... :) 

Mims should have been playing for weeks now!

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You left out proves he knows where to line up.  And not have the rookie QB tell the 2nd year WR where he should be and the HC having to call TO.

That would be a huge help 

I find it interesting how the "Learn the Playbook" guys convince themselves they are the 100 watt bulbs in a sea of darkness, while the #FreeDenzel guys are the simpletons who don't understand real football...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But he can't make catches out of the slot so he sucks.

Yards per Reception leaders:

1. Denzel Mims, NYJ:  24.3
  2. Quez Watkins, PHI:  20.5
  3. Henry Ruggs, LV:  20.5
  4. Ja'Marr Chase, CIN:  19.8
  5. Deonte Harris, NO:  19.7
  6. David Njoku, CLE:  18.6
  7. Bryan Edwards, LV:  18.2
  8. Deebo Samuel, SF:  17.7
  9. Van Jefferson, LAR:  17.3
  10. Marquise Brown, BAL:  17.2

Yards per Target leaders:

1. Denzel Mims, NYJ:  18.3
  2. Quez Watkins, PHI:  15.7
  3. David Njoku, CLE:  15.3
  4. Ja'Marr Chase, CIN:  13.0
  5. Henry Ruggs, LV:  12.4
  6. Christian Kirk, ARI:  12.3
  7. Marquise Brown, BAL:  11.6
  8. CJ Uzomah, CIN:  11.5
  9. Dallas Goedert, PHI:  11.4
  10. Maxx Williams, ARI:  11.4

@The Crusher

xFpldHs.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

37 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Imagine a world where the Jets didn't funnel their offense through Ryan Griffin and Tyler Kroft. Where they designed plays to get their young playmakers the ball in space. And where Mims coming on the field in the 2nd quarter didn't mean with 85% certain it was going to be a running play. 

I know, I know.. but let me dream.

This is a big reason why our start are so slow. 12 personnel is a staple of this offense, but it doesn't maximize our personnel. If the Jets are insistent in making the system work they have to get at least 1 if not 2 TEs this offseason.

Also, while they have been fine plays, why the crap are we running jet sweep with Berrios instead of Moore? It's just mind-baffling the underutilization of the athleticism our players have.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I find it interesting how the "Learn the Playbook" guys convince themselves they are the 100 watt bulbs in a sea of darkness, while the #FreeDenzel guys are the simpletons who don't understand real football...

Interesting I dont see it that way at all.  

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@The Crusher

"Law of Small Numbers: A Deceptive Cognitive Bias

The law of small numbers is the bias of making generalizations from a small sample size. In truth, the smaller your sample size, the more likely you are to have extreme results. If you’re not aware of this principle, when you have small sample sizes, you may be misled by outliers."

Receptions Leaders:

278. Taysom Hill, NOR, 3 (a QB)
279. Denzel Mims, NYJ, 3
280. Patrick Ricard, BAL, 3 (a FB)

Targets Leaders:

278. Taysom Hill, NOR, 4 (a QB)
279. Denzel Mims, NYJ, 4
280. Patrick Ricard, BAL, 4 (a FB)

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

39 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Im trying to image the game where they have.  

Griffin has 8 catches this season on 15 targets and Kroft has 6 catches on 10 targets. 

I also see no correlation between Mims leaving the field and running plays 

The Jets are running an offense that uses multiple tight ends on almost every play that isn't 3rd and long. The problem is their TEs aren't very good and shouldn't be on the field nearly as much as they are.  Look at the skill position players play by play. - you'll more often see 2 WRs and 2 TEs than them running 3 WRs.  Most pass plays seem to involve 2 WRs and a TE running routes until we get into 3rd and long spots. Spread it out, open it up and put your best skill players together on the field once in a while. 

2 hours ago, doitny said:

i think it on Wilson why these guys arent good.. his passes are not on target. and sometimes he doesnt throw a good spiral.

so im not sure if Mims can catch alot of his pass that get thrown behind him.

Small sample size on Zach.  A good spiral only matters on cooking shows.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

It’s not b/c he averaged 15.5 ypc last year.  It’s legit.

Sure that number will be close to holding up.

Put completions per target will go down.

Reality is, he needs to play, he's a big target and If you want to say ZW hasn't been as precise as you like, then put in the guy with the huge catch radius and soft hands.

Situational awareness seems to be lacking, but then again, these guy don't care a thing about winning this year.  They're trying to implement an offense...

I suspect if W's and L's mattered this year - Mims would be starting in Davis's spot.

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Seriously? That is what you take from those stats?

It's Zach Wilson's fault that Mims isn't producing more? 

You realize that Mims has 3 catches on 4 targets? 

The reason Mims hasn't produced more is because he is barely on the field. 

i think you misread my post.

im blaming Zack for the WRs play...yes that true.

but people here want Mims to say he will do better then the guys we have...

im saying Mims isn't going to catch these Wilson throws to his feet or behind him just like everyone else. so i dont think playing Mims more will mean better WR play...

its Wilson not the WRs..

30 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The law of small numbers is the bias of making generalizations from a small sample size. In truth, the smaller your sample size, the more likely you are to have extreme results. If you’re not aware of this principle, when you have small sample sizes, you may be misled by outliers."

Receptions Leaders:

279. Denzel Mims, NYJ, 3

Targets Leaders:

279. Denzel Mims, NYJ, 4

Last year mims averaged 15.5 ypc.  It’s not a fluke.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

Anybody see why the Jets had to take a timeout in the second quarter? Because ole Mimsy ain't no where to line up and Zach was screaming at him.

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Ok fine, if they let him on the field more then he would likely get better at it. I still think Zach would like a couple guys to catch the ball when he actually does get it to them. 

Play probably called for the 6-3 receiver to line up in the slot and Denzel was like "Nah."

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, shuler82 said:

Imagine a world where the Jets didn't funnel their offense through Ryan Griffin and Tyler Kroft. Where they designed plays to get their young playmakers the ball in space. And where Mims coming on the field in the 2nd quarter didn't mean with 85% certain it was going to be a running play. 

Sounds like the start of a fantastic movie trailer.

@Spoot-Face we need that "Free Denzel" movie poster image right about now.  

1 hour ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

Fine? He still doesn't know where to line up,, but it's fine ? Timeout wasted but it's all good. Can't get anymore delusional than that.

Yet despite all of that he was the team's leading receiver on Sunday until late in the 4th quarter.  And in Week 1 he caught 1 pass on 1 target and finished 3rd on the team in receiving yardage.

No one is saying Denzel is all that good or that he isn't managing to f**k up from time to time.  All we're saying is the other receivers aren't good enough to push him this far down the depth chart.  DeAndre Hopkins isn't exactly walking through that door.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Receptions Leaders:

279. Denzel Mims, NYJ, 3

Targets Leaders:

279. Denzel Mims, NYJ, 4

OK now do this with Denzel's stats in 2020, when he averaged 15.5 yards per catch and, when paired with a decent deep ball thrower under center in Flacco, he averaged a pretty solid 8.9 yards per target.

If this year was the first we were seeing from Denzel on an NFL field, you'd have a solid point to make.  It isn't.  We all are, at this point, pretty well aware of what he can do and what his shortcomings are.  The pros outweigh the cons at this stage.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

OK now do this with Denzel's stats in 2020…  

Why?

I’m sure you can look up his stats same as I can. I’m willing to bet he was not in the top 50 or even the top 100 in targets or receptions in 2020 either.  I’m willing to bet he was closer to the 200’s in receptions.

Small sample sizes, especially in the NFL, mean very little. For exactly the reason I posted earlier that seems to have sailed over at least a few heads.

2 hours ago, shuler82 said:

The Jets are running an offense that uses multiple tight ends on almost every play that isn't 3rd and long. The problem is their TEs aren't very good and shouldn't be on the field nearly as much as they are.  Look at the skill position players play by play. - you'll more often see 2 WRs and 2 TEs than them running 3 WRs.  Most pass plays seem to involve 2 WRs and a TE running routes until we get into 3rd and long spots. Spread it out, open it up and put your best skill players together on the field once in a while. 

Well that need to crap-can that offense. It is no coincidence that our offense comes alive when we move to 11 personnel in the second half.

56 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Why?

I’m sure you can look up his stats same as I can. I’m willing to bet he was not in the top 50 or even the top 100 in targets or receptions in 2020 either.  I’m willing to bet he was closer to the 200’s in receptions.

Small sample sizes, especially in the NFL, mean very little. For exactly the reason I posted earlier that seems to have sailed over at least a few heads.

Like I said.  When targeted he was effective last year.  When targeted by Flacco his numbers resembled that of one of the top rookie WR's in a loaded 2020 class.

We can't do anythijng about his small sample.  That's up to the coaches.  But we can take an honest look at Mims when he's on the field and at his productivity and determine he belongs out there, especially when compared to the slapd*ck receivers we've been sending out there lately. 

Corey Davis has a much larger sample size over his career and 2021 season.  What has he done to demonstrate he deserves 5x as many snaps and more than twice as many targets as Mims got last week?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@The Crusher

He also has the highest PFF season grade of any Jets offensive player so far. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, jgb said:

Until Mims masters theoretical physics, automotive repair, and can bake a soufflé that doesn't collapse when you take it out of the oven, how can we trust him to run go routes and catch jump balls in the red zone?

Lol!

"This loaf is clearly 'overbaked' Mims!"

5 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

I’m just a simple FREE DENZEL who can give two shits about the play book as long as they catch the ball, move the chains and sustain drives. Wait I gotta a play… catch the God Damn Ball, that’s the play. 

• Sympathy 3

23 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I’m just a simple FREE DENZEL who can give two sh*ts about the play book as long as they catch the ball, move the chains and sustain drives. Wait I gotta a play… catch the God Damn Ball, that’s the play. 

I'm with you,  brother.  Draw the play up in the dirt. I don't care. Just catch the damn ball and run with it...

• Upvote 4