Year the Jets can realistically move on from Wilson, Saleh, and Douglas

What separates successful organizations from the ones that are constantly in rebuild mode is continuity throughout. Each time the slate gets cleaned someone comes in trying to do their version of building a winner. One reason this organization has suffered is how it was structured. We endured several arraigned marriages between GM and HC, HC and OC, HC and DC. We had both GM and HC reporting to the owner. This is not the typical structure of a NFL organization. This is why I give Chris Johnson credit for reestablishing traditional structure. 
Another reason for struggle is the development of players that we draft, or lack of player development. How many picks from previous years remain on the roster? Every time a new HC is hired, they have certain type of players they covet. They remove players here not fitting that makeup and scheme they intend running.
I can at least relate to the vision of the current regime. They bring in high character players, those that love the game. They plan on developing the players that they draft. According to Salah, they don't have any jerks. They can be cancerous when things don't go right.
We are on the outside looking inward. I believe that they trust each other without much dissension. We have the youngest team in the NFL, giving the most minutes to rookies. Why is that? Because they are in it for the long haul. Again, this regime has nothing to do with the past problems associated with the history. The players here have very little to do with what happened before.
When matched against opponents having veterans, we learn on the fly. Inconsistencies are expected. Yet we come expecting competitive games. I am guilty too. We are starving for wins, any signs of life. But the reality here is there are no quick fixes. Would we rather see them play close to 500 and miss blue chip players in next years draft thinking we don't need a lot of changes here because of the strong finish? That's fools gold, see 2019.
We were told early this is a process. They are showing exactly that. It will get worse before it gets better. If Salah says he sees improvement then the team is doing what is asked. Does that translate into wins? Not yet. But I believe in the process. It's a change from what was here. This too shall pass. I rather see slow and steady instead of quick take offs followed by crash and burn. We deserve better. We just need to wait. Too many new parts to judge in entirety.

The reporting structure narrative has to die. 45% of the league has both coach and gun reporting to the owner.

It’s not the structure it’s the people

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had high hopes for this regime, but I think they are in BIG trouble. If this kid can’t make accurate passes under pressure why was he drafted second overall? Last time I checked professional golfers

After the 2023 is the earliest.  But we will be one of the best teams in the league that year and competing for a super bowl so this whole discussion is a moot point.

Wow all this after 5 games??? We have hit some lows in fandom now. Guys and gals, we have to give this QB/Coach/GM some time. Not all the pieces in place yet. Let's be patient.  LL

Posted Images

On 10/11/2021 at 4:12 PM, SteveAoikiAsics said:

I have been patient. 11 years without the postseason. 

So have all of us but what does any of this have to do with Saleh?

Other than absolutely nothing

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
13 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I know it’s silly but Gase honestly could script a first drive pretty well and we are already paying him. Ok, ok I kid I kid. 

dont laugh i thought the same thing.

the only thing he did good was script the first 15 plays..

maybe he can do that now since he is on the payroll... but i would make him fax it in, dont want him near the players..lol

• Haha 3
6 hours ago, funaz said:

The reporting structure narrative has to die. 45% of the league has both coach and gun reporting to the owner.

And not just the underperforming part of the league either. KC, Seattle, SF are a few of the organisations that have this structure.

We used to have HC --> GM --> Owner ... Rex reported to Idzik, and Woody only heard from Idzik how everything was going great. It was when that blew up that it was changed so the owner could hear both sides of the story. 

19 hours ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

Why does this fan base constantly want to fire everyone? The revolving door approach hasn't worked. All the teams that have sustained success have stability. Yet Jets fans constantly want turnover.

Because the next guys will hire all the right guys, only draft studs, call all the right plays and win everything. Didn't you know? 😜

• Haha 2
On 10/11/2021 at 9:12 PM, SteveAoikiAsics said:

I didn't realise there was a rota system.

I guess we'll have to wait till after Arizona, Buffalo, LA Chargers, Detroit and a few other teams win the Superbowl before it's our turn.

Because, you know, they've waited far longer than us. ;-) 

On 10/11/2021 at 11:43 PM, funaz said:

Do we need to give them time? What has more time done for any of the past regimes?

Most people knew Sam was trash at the end of year two, everyone knew at the beginning of year three.

If you have a bad product throw it out, don’t sink more resources trying to fix a dud

So how long do the next guys get? Week 1? Preseason? Maybe just fire them on the first day of training camp if they don't absolutely ace it.

• Upvote 3
An important lesson I've learned on this site since January, it is a lot easier to just block people that give you responses that you find idiotic rather than engaging in a worthless back and forth where people just dig in their heels and get aggravated. Namaste. 

Thanks for that important safety tip, in other words don’t do drugs.
On 10/11/2021 at 4:02 PM, SteveAoikiAsics said:

I had high hopes for this regime, but I think they are in BIG trouble. If this kid can’t make accurate passes under pressure why was he drafted second overall? Last time I checked professional golfers can transfer their skills on the driving  range to the tee box.

That’s why they are professional golfers!

Wilson may need turn his career around, but it’s going to take a monumental off-season. I don’t think it’s going to get much better in season. 

If ZW continues to be the worst QB in the NFL after 2022 can the Jets move on? I believe Douglas and Saleh should go with him if that’s the case. 

Hey Rob-why don’t you call Rich Kotite to see if he can help out on offense? The 80s Jets were fun to watch. 

Homer Simpson Wow GIF by Justin

33 minutes ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

Are you related to Adam Gase?

No. And I don’t even like the guy.  He’s just better than who we have now and the latest reminder of our mistakes, that’s all.

SAR I

I’m already looking at when we can move in from Douglas and co.’s replacements. I’m estimating those future replacements will last until 2026.

Then Belichick will come to the Jets and coach for a couple of years right before his retirement.

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, SAR I said:

No. And I don’t even like the guy.  He’s just better than who we have now and the latest reminder of our mistakes, that’s all.

SAR I

did you feel that way when he was 1-7 and they were flying those planes to fire him mid season?

you think the fans were wrong to fly those planes after 1-7 ? arent you making the same mistake saying Saleh is bad after 1-4 ?

Parcells started 3-12-1. imagine if they fired him after that.

On 10/12/2021 at 2:50 PM, Albaniajet said:

A tag pass is a horizontal pass the QB throws usually to a WR split wide so he can catch and then run from the line of scrimmage 

Zach isn’t accurate even throwing that type of a pass

I never heard tag pass either.  It's bubble screen or wr screen.

Which reminds me of Sanchez.  Dude couldn't throw a screen pass.  He'd panic and throw it right to a defender.  The coaches finally had enough and took the screen out of the playbook.  

Zach's not that bad yet.  And he doesn't need red, yellow, green.  yet.

Why do people think that this is an appropriate response? Saleh and his staff should be so unbelievably good that they change history and make the Jets go to the Wild Card round in 2015? 

If this staff had been around for that decade, you have every right to feel this way. During that time though, there have been at least 4 different staffs: Rex/Idzik, Bowles/Mac, Gase/Mac, and now Saleh/Douglas. They all failed, but it’s not for a lack of trying. 

it’s frustrating, I get it, but this line of thinking is ridiculous. 

• Upvote 3

So what's the plan after firing Douglas and Saleh and ousting Wilson as the starter?  Start from scratch again with the Johnson's hiring a brand new GM/HC combo?  Then have that GM overpay a bunch of free agents so we can push for a Wild Card spot?  Should work out swell. 

Especially since the rest of the league will be sympathetic to both Douglas and Saleh on this one.  Everyone knows the Johnson's are clown shoes owners and a premature firing of both the GM and HC on this round will only serve to add more evidence to that.

Both Douglas and Saleh get 2022 at minimum and very likely 2023 as well regardless of how bad things might get.

• Upvote 2
On 10/12/2021 at 11:56 PM, funaz said:

The quality of the play league wide is a reflection of competitive balance not excellence.   The structure, the people, the monopoly, the leadership is not based on quality of play or competition.  The NFL is now making money on fantasy football and gambling.  The Draft gets more eyes than a typical NFL game.

The people suck from the Commish down.   The NFL wants the Jets to be competitive.  They have tilted the playing field to help the Jets become competitive.  In a rigged game to help the Jets the Jets can't be competitive. 

The Jets personal from the owner down are a reflection of a fat bloated league that's pandering to gamblers and fantasy football at the expense of the quality of play.   Woody is comfortable living in his palace, buying his position as an Ambasador and giving the fans a turd sandwich with a swig of piss at the concession stands along with a team that is an embarasment to watch for 3 hours a week.  

A real league would have forced Woody to sell years ago.