Jump to content

Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, MaybeOneDay said:

I preface by saying that am 47 years old, and have never seen the Jets win a Super Bowl.  Some of you may have.  My father did.   But I did not.

When I was a boy, I listened to my Dad talk of Joe Willy Namath, Emerson Boozer, Matt Snell, and Don Maynard.  

My imagination soared as he spun tales of "The Guarantee", and how the underdog Jets took down Unitas and his mighty Colts.

My first memories are of Freeman McNeil, and Joe Klecko...then the Sack Exchange.  Loved Marty Lyons, Greg Buttle, Mickey Shuler, and Pat Leahy. 

In '82, we almost made it.  But Don Shula decided it would be best to play in Mud.  Hate AJ Duhe to this day.  Remember cursing and yelling at the TV...which accomplished 2 things:

1) A swift and decisive punishment of grounded for a week Mr.

2) Sealed my fate as a lifetime Jets fan.

Over the years, I've often asked myself why I stick with them.  Through all the heart ache and heart breaks.  Through all the crappy GM's, all the crappy coaches, all the crappy QB's....why? 

Best I can come up with is this:

There are some things in life you just have no control over.  I did not choose the Jets, rather the universe chose them for me.  

I cannot leave, and I can't not watch.  I'm in, through thick and thin.

I BELIEVE that one day, my fandom will be rewarded.   What keeps me going is how freaking sweet that one, special, glorious day will be.  

I post this today, as an alternative to everything else I see on this board lately.  

Go Jets.

If the Jets win only one Super Bowl in my lifetime (what's left of it)...I'm gonna be pissed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

A girl never tells

LOL  Well, I hope you are right, but we'll worry about multiple AFTER we have that first glorious, ever elusive day....

I honestly think our fan base, as a whole, is suffering from some sort of mental illness...I'm not a psychologist, but seems given our tortured history, there's something to this.  A person can only endure so much before fraying at the edges, and eventually you snap.  I have sympathy for all my fellow travelers, as only us true fans fully understand the depths of torture involved with being a Jets fan.  

There must be special place in heaven for us...hopefully the beer garden :)

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Great post. 

I have always tried so hard to stay positive, but every year that goes by, I get more cynical and pessimistic about the Jets.

It's nice to hear how fans older than myself justify watching this train wreck every week. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

62 years old, and I was hooked after watching JWN win SB III.  9-10 y.o.'s are pretty impressionable lol.

 

Still invested in the NY Jets, wouldn't have it any other way.  NY Ranger fan too...and still have great memories of 1994.

Just waiting for the NYJ to give me that 1994 feeling once again...which will make it all worth it!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, greenwave81 said:

62 years old, and I was hooked after watching JWN win SB III.  9-10 y.o.'s are pretty impressionable lol.

 

Still invested in the NY Jets, wouldn't have it any other way.  NY Ranger fan too...and still have great memories of 1994.

Just waiting for the NYJ to give me that 1994 feeling once again...which will make it all worth it!

Yes Sir...I too am a Rangers fan.  That's another chapter in psychological warfare.  But at least we have '94.  

One day, the Jets will get there's.   I truly Believe.

JD, Saleh, and ZW have my full, devotion and support, as they do their best to turn this ship in the right direction.  Hoping it's sooner than later...in the meantime, I'm going to enjoy watching the kids grow and learn and get better.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching this godforsaken team try to get it together is the most fun I have watching sports. As a fan of the Yankees, the lakers, and Chelsea it’s a unique experience of haplessness and apathy. My favorite part is looking back and getting mad at sh*t no one else remembers, because it’s all we have. Sanchez’s arm was going foward in the 2010 championship game and it wasn’t a fumble, don’t try to tell me otherwise. I hate Antonio Brown more than any player in football, and the only reason I hate Antonio Brown is because of 3rd and 2 that same day. He wasnt even a household name until like two years later at best. **** you Doug Brien, **** you John Elway, **** the Manning family. Also a big big **** you to Victor Cruz, the man who started this all. Sidenote my barometer for a good quarterback is also, “ Don’t make a throw that resembles that Mark Sanchez pick from Xmas Eve 2011.” Zach Wilson is already shot by this measure, but I’ll watch anyways because nothing else in sports brings this much hate out of me and it’s kinda fun. 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MaybeOneDay said:

I BELIEVE that one day, my fandom will be rewarded.   What keeps me going is how freaking sweet that one, special, glorious day will be.  

 

If you're not enjoying the ride there is no reward.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Biggs said:

If you're not enjoying the ride there is no reward.  

Amen!!!

Been "enjoying" the roller coaster for a long long time...lately, a lot more downs than ups.  To the point where it's genuinely not even fun or enjoyable watching the games, they are so pathetically bad.  So, I get it, when I see all this negativity swirling.  That's why I, only half jokingly, say there is some sort of collective mental illness amongst our fanbase right now.  You can only take so much.   

@GreenBean talks about the click of the coaster as it rises up.   Perfect analogy.   It takes way way longer to reach the top, when starting at the bottom.  And make no mistake my friends, we are at the bottom, have been for years now.  But the fun is going to be in the journey as we slowly, but surely tick up up up....

In the meantime, I wish peace upon my fellow travelers.  Hang in there, please.  The journey will be worth it, and in the end, we can truly say we were there for all of it, the good times and the many many many bad.  

Go Jets.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread I can get behind. Feels more like a positive group therapy session. Which is better than the one a few rooms over which is a ***** and moan fest with fantasies if firing everyone because that's a solution for stupid people 5 games in to a new coaching regime.

It's tough rooting for this team, a team which never gets out of its own way. 

I've learned to expect nothing and to not invest to much hope into it  getting better. I wear  my Jets gear to show the fact that I'm loyal even though beaten down, plus wearing it shows  I like a little abuse. 😜

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

This thread I can get behind. Feels more like a positive group therapy session. Which is better than the one a few rooms over which is a ***** and moan fest with fantasies if firing everyone because that's a solution for stupid people 5 games in to a new coaching regime.

It's tough rooting for this team, a team which never gets out of its own way. 

I've learned to expect nothing and to not invest to much hope into it  getting better. I wear  my Jets gear to show the fact that I'm loyal even though beaten down, plus wearing it shows  I like a little abuse. 😜

Exactly...we could use a little positivity around here.  If nothing else, just to balance things out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MaybeOneDay said:

I preface by saying that am 47 years old, and have never seen the Jets win a Super Bowl.  Some of you may have.  My father did.   But I did not.

When I was a boy, I listened to my Dad talk of Joe Willy Namath, Emerson Boozer, Matt Snell, and Don Maynard.  

My imagination soared as he spun tales of "The Guarantee", and how the underdog Jets took down Unitas and his mighty Colts.

My first memories are of Freeman McNeil, and Joe Klecko...then the Sack Exchange.  Loved Marty Lyons, Greg Buttle, Mickey Shuler, and Pat Leahy. 

In '82, we almost made it.  But Don Shula decided it would be best to play in Mud.  Hate AJ Duhe to this day.  Remember cursing and yelling at the TV...which accomplished 2 things:

1) A swift and decisive punishment of grounded for a week Mr.

2) Sealed my fate as a lifetime Jets fan.

Over the years, I've often asked myself why I stick with them.  Through all the heart ache and heart breaks.  Through all the crappy GM's, all the crappy coaches, all the crappy QB's....why? 

Best I can come up with is this:

There are some things in life you just have no control over.  I did not choose the Jets, rather the universe chose them for me.  

I cannot leave, and I can't not watch.  I'm in, through thick and thin.

I BELIEVE that one day, my fandom will be rewarded.   What keeps me going is how freaking sweet that one, special, glorious day will be.  

I post this today, as an alternative to everything else I see on this board lately.  

Go Jets.

LMAO!!! Great write up.  I am 10 years older, remember the late 70's when the Jets absolutely sucked.  Then in 1980 things changed, excitement flowed, the SACK exchange etc.  But jeez....  how difficult it is being green.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

LMAO!!! Great write up.  I am 10 years older, remember the late 70's when the Jets absolutely sucked.  Then in 1980 things changed, excitement flowed, the SACK exchange etc.  But jeez....  how difficult it is being green.

Heidi bowl hooked me - strange I know but my dad and brother were Jet fans and remember watching the game on NBC until they left for the 7pm movie. Fortunate enough to remember parts of the SB victory. Biggest hook though was Joe Willie. Many of you were probably not around and you hear the stories but the guy was a bigger icon off the field then on. Any young man growing up in the NYC area wanted to be just like him. It is not an exageration to say that you had the Beatles, Elvis and Joe. That drawl to his voice and his play on the field will keep me a Jets fan to the day I pass on.    

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Or granddads.  Or great granddads.

When the last Jets fan who experienced SBIII dies it'll be like when the last WWII vet dies.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, MaybeOneDay said:

I preface by saying that am 47 years old, and have never seen the Jets win a Super Bowl.  Some of you may have.  My father did.   But I did not.

When I was a boy, I listened to my Dad talk of Joe Willy Namath, Emerson Boozer, Matt Snell, and Don Maynard.  

My imagination soared as he spun tales of "The Guarantee", and how the underdog Jets took down Unitas and his mighty Colts.

My first memories are of Freeman McNeil, and Joe Klecko...then the Sack Exchange.  Loved Marty Lyons, Greg Buttle, Mickey Shuler, and Pat Leahy. 

In '82, we almost made it.  But Don Shula decided it would be best to play in Mud.  Hate AJ Duhe to this day.  Remember cursing and yelling at the TV...which accomplished 2 things:

1) A swift and decisive punishment of grounded for a week Mr.

2) Sealed my fate as a lifetime Jets fan.

Over the years, I've often asked myself why I stick with them.  Through all the heart ache and heart breaks.  Through all the crappy GM's, all the crappy coaches, all the crappy QB's....why? 

Best I can come up with is this:

There are some things in life you just have no control over.  I did not choose the Jets, rather the universe chose them for me.  

I cannot leave, and I can't not watch.  I'm in, through thick and thin.

I BELIEVE that one day, my fandom will be rewarded.   What keeps me going is how freaking sweet that one, special, glorious day will be.  

I post this today, as an alternative to everything else I see on this board lately.  

Go Jets.

Same age. Same favorite players. Same sentiment. It's nice to know I am not alone. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a fan for two reasons.

When I was young, green was my favorite color (still is), and I lived on Long Island.  So I liked the Jets, not the Giants.

When I was slightly older (not much older really), I really enjoyed the mid-80's Jets for all the great offensive players, Toon, Walker, Shuler, McNeil, O'Brian, and the shootouts with Marino and Miami and the Two Mark's.  And they won some games too, even if they didn't have much postseason success.

I was young and impressionable, the Jets wore green, had a cool logo I liked, were my local team, and were exciting, and fun, and scored points.

That's it really.  The 35 years I've now been down here in DC/VA has all been a choice, an affectation.  There is nothing tying me back to New York or making me remain a Jets Fan.  I've just chosen to do so.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, MaybeOneDay said:

I preface by saying that am 47 years old, and have never seen the Jets win a Super Bowl.  Some of you may have.  My father did.   But I did not.

When I was a boy, I listened to my Dad talk of Joe Willy Namath, Emerson Boozer, Matt Snell, and Don Maynard.  

My imagination soared as he spun tales of "The Guarantee", and how the underdog Jets took down Unitas and his mighty Colts.

My first memories are of Freeman McNeil, and Joe Klecko...then the Sack Exchange.  Loved Marty Lyons, Greg Buttle, Mickey Shuler, and Pat Leahy. 

In '82, we almost made it.  But Don Shula decided it would be best to play in Mud.  Hate AJ Duhe to this day.  Remember cursing and yelling at the TV...which accomplished 2 things:

1) A swift and decisive punishment of grounded for a week Mr.

2) Sealed my fate as a lifetime Jets fan.

Over the years, I've often asked myself why I stick with them.  Through all the heart ache and heart breaks.  Through all the crappy GM's, all the crappy coaches, all the crappy QB's....why? 

Best I can come up with is this:

There are some things in life you just have no control over.  I did not choose the Jets, rather the universe chose them for me.  

I cannot leave, and I can't not watch.  I'm in, through thick and thin.

I BELIEVE that one day, my fandom will be rewarded.   What keeps me going is how freaking sweet that one, special, glorious day will be.  

I post this today, as an alternative to everything else I see on this board lately.  

Go Jets.

I am 62 years old, and I did see the Jets win a Super Bowl, but that was as a 9 year old child.  It would be nice to experience winning a Super Bowl as an adult, since I would have greater appreciation for the difficulty of achieving this pinnacle.'

I also became a Jets fan much the same you you did, which was from my dad.

As far as whether or not I or you will see another superbowl, I think even if that doesn't happen, I still enjoy being a Jets fan.

As James Taylor once sang:  "The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time".

I enjoy following the Jets through out the year, except when they lose on game day.  If they lose badly it sucks, and if they lose in a tough, close game it also sicks.  Thats about it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Now do the post "Why Am I A Fan?"

Because a lot of us should  be asking ourselves this question. 

Personally, I enjoy pain. Often, I hook up wires and a field telephone to my genitals and squeeze the handset. 

So, the Jets deliver for me,  year in and year out. 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thebuzzardman said:

Now do the post "Why Am I A Fan?"

Because a lot of us should  be asking ourselves this question. 

Personally, I enjoy pain. Often, I hook up wires and a field telephone to my genitals and squeeze the handset. 

So, the Jets deliver for me,  year in and year out. 

wolf of wall street GIF

Me too.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Same, will never stop watching. I already know this. 

I have learned to deal with defeat though. It's a numbing feeling. Sundays are still not fun when they lose but I have matured enough to not have my entire Sunday ruined. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...