One crucial Robert Saleh decision keeps on hurting the Jets

Brian Costello

LONDON – The Jets fell 27-20 to the Falcons here on Sunday and now are 1-4. Here are some thoughts and observations from across the pond:

1. When a team selects a new head coach, the next most important hire is who that coach selects to run the opposite side of the ball from his own expertise. So when the Jets picked Robert Saleh, who was a defensive coordinator, it was critical that he find the right offensive coordinator. In my opinion, a new head coach is better off selecting a veteran coach for that position. There will be enough growing pains for a first-time head coach himself. He should have someone running the other side of the ball with experience. For instance, the Sean McVay hired Wade Phillips as his defensive coordinator when he became the Rams coach and they went to the Super Bowl. Todd Bowles hired Chan Gailey as his offensive coordinator with the Jets and had early success.

Saleh hired Mike LaFleur, a 34-year-old who had never called plays in the NFL before. I’m not saying LaFleur will never be a good offensive coordinator. He might become a very good one. But right now you can see him struggling to find his way and it is hurting the Jets. On Sunday, the Jets got outcoached in the first half. Falcons coach Arthur Smith went the veteran route for his defensive coordinator, luring Dean Pees out of retirement. Pees began coaching in 1979. LaFleur was born in 1987. Advantage Pees. Pees has been the defensive coordinator under Bill Belichick, John Harbaugh and Mike Vrabel. As Rex Ryan used to say, he has pelts on his wall.

Robert Saleh and the Jets are off to a 1-4 start. Robert Saleh and the Jets are off to a 1-4 start. Dave Shopland/Shutterstock

The Jets offense looks lost right now. This is not entirely LaFleur’s fault. Zach Wilson must make better throws. Corey Davis must catch the ball. The offensive line needs to open holes in the running game. However, LaFleur bears plenty of blame. The offense looks ill-prepared at the beginning of games. He has not been able to give Wilson the answers to the test when defensive coordinators like Pees, Vic Fangio or Belichick throw things at him to confuse him.

LaFleur may become a really good offensive coordinator someday. Until then, though, it looks like Saleh hired a friend who may not be ready for the job. The Jets are going to have to go through the pain of him learning on the job.

2. The Jets’ struggles early in games is mind-boggling. It is hard to imagine a team being this bad at the start of a game. We all know that offensive coordinators script the start of games. LaFleur may want to just pick plays out of a hat from now on. The first drive of the game should look crisp. These are your favorite plays against that team. These are plays that the offense practices repeatedly between Wednesday and Saturday. Under Adam Gase, the Jets actually started games off well on a lot of occasions. They usually just fell apart after that. But that made more sense. At least you could see they entered the game with a good plan. They just failed to adjust, which was a whole other problem. This group seems to be failing when it comes to building the game plan.

Mike LaFleur and Zach Wilson on Sept. 17, 2021. Mike LaFleur and Zach Wilson on Sept. 17, 2021. Bill Kostroun/New York Post

Digging in on the first quarter statistics paints an ugly, ugly picture: 0 points, 79 total yards, five first downs, 2-for-11 on third down (none converted since Week 1), 42 total plays run, 68 rushing yards, 11 net passing yards. QB Zach Wilson is 5-of-18 for 34 yards with two interceptions in the first quarter.

The Jets will spend the bye week searching for answers to why they are starting slow. They better find them because they can’t keep playing from behind every week.

3. Matt Ryan picked the Jets defense apart early and late in the game Sunday. Ryan showed the formula for beating the Jets defense. Get the ball out quickly, flood the middle of the field and take a few deep shots. It sounds easier than it is to pull off. But Ryan negated the Jets pass rush with how quickly he got rid of the ball and it is something the Jets can expect to see, particularly from veteran quarterbacks. 

Saleh’s defense is not particularly complicated or exotic. It relies on creating pressure on the quarterback and disguising coverages. Veteran quarterbacks are tough to fool. The good news for the Jets is they don’t see a lot more of them. Tom Brady looms at the end of the season and he tears apart nearly every defense so we know how that will likely go. Josh Allen is playing at an extremely high level right now, so that one might be rough. Other than those two, though, the schedule features mostly young quarterbacks or journeymen.

One thing that stood out watching Ryan was his anticipation. Watching it live, I often would not even see the receiver when he threw the ball and then the receiver would break free. He knew where his receiver would be before he got there. It is an area that Zach Wilson needs to improve on. He is waiting on receivers. That created the interception on Sunday. Wilson needs to anticipate more and throw to the spot.

4. The week would not be complete without a Denzel Mims development. Mims played just eight snaps but had two catches for 33 yards, including a 27-yard catch late in the game. You can see Mims’ ability, even in these small doses. He looks like a different type of athlete out there. He is a big man that runs really fast. That stands out. It is baffling that the Jets are not using him more with the way this offense is going.

That being said, I noticed something Sunday that I think could be an example of what the coaches don’t like from Mims. My seat at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium was about 20 rows up from the Jets sideline. It was an amazing perspective. It also allowed me to observe some things.

Denzel Mims makes a catch against the Falcons on Oct. 10, 2021. Denzel Mims makes a catch against the Falcons on Oct. 10, 2021. Action Images via Reuters

After a series, the players split off into position groups and go over things with their position coach. I noticed on a few of these occasions the wide receivers were gathered around coach Miles Austin, but Mims was standing 50 feet away talking to an inactive teammate. Mims probably would argue he did not need to be in the huddle because he was not even in on that series. But it is a bad look. Just stand there and listen. You can see other players who are not involved in the game doing that with their position groups.

People have asked: what did Mims do? From what I have gathered, there is no big incident that led to the Jets coaches not trusting him. But it is little things that add up. Mims needs to do everything to win over the coaches right now, even a little thing by being attentive on the sideline.

Revealing stat 

After gaining just 64 yards rushing Sunday, the Jets now have 370 this season. There are five players in the NFL who have more rushing yards than the entire Jets team – the Titans’ Derrick Henry (640), the Browns’ Nick Chubb (523), the Cowboys’ Ezekiel Elliott (452), the Jaguars’ James Robinson (387) and the Bengals’ Joe Mixon (386).

Surprising snap count

Elijah Moore played just 23 snaps (41 percent) in his return from a concussion on Sunday. Moore had no catches but did draw a key pass interference penalty. Moore was such a monster in the spring and early in training camp, it is puzzling how he has had such little impact so far.

Game ball 

No one on the Jets deserves one this week. Let’s give it to the people of London, who were terrific hosts for the NFL. Tottenham Hotspur Stadium is the nicest stadium I have ever seen and the staff was extremely helpful and pleasant. Also, a shout out to the Marriott Marble Arch crew that took good care of the Jets beat writers for our trip. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

i think i can fix the problem

LaFleur needs to go upstairs to the booth. he admitted how much better it is to see things and call plays from there but he wants to stay on the sidelines to talk to Zach cause he is a rookie.

well thats not working.

they have a QB coach who could talk to Zack... and dont we have phones? he needs to get his ass upstairs

and bring in Josh Johnson from the PS and demote White. Johnson is 35 yr old. thats the vet you wanted. he could help out on the sideline too while LaFleur is in the booth. 

why not? gotta try something different 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

The Jets plan was not bad.

Hire an up and coming guy like Mike Lafleur, but pair him with a grizzled veteran coach like Knapp who had great experience and expertise but probably did not want the spotlight and pressure of being OC.  

On the OL, they were going to let Clark, Lewis and GVR fight it out for RG.  

At QB, they were going to roll with Wilson, White and whomever they picked up, and start Wilson from day 1 to learn by fire.  

But when Knapp was killed, and the better RG candidates were not available, at that point I would have found a realistic veteran QB to start the season to protect Wilson until things were stabilized.

They found Cavanaugh and Moses at RT to help, which was good.  They needed to find a QB to play and also a RG.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Jets plan was not bad.

Hire an up and coming guy like Mike Lafleur, but pair him with a grizzled veteran coach like Knapp who had great experience and expertise but probably did not want the spotlight and pressure of being OC.  

On the OL, they were going to let Clark, Lewis and GVR fight it out for RG.  

At QB, they were going to roll with Wilson, White and whomever they picked up, and start Wilson from day 1 to learn by fire.  

But when Knapp was killed, and the better RG candidates were not available, at that point I would have found a realistic veteran QB to start the season to protect Wilson until things were stabilized.

They found Cavanaugh and Moses at RT to help, which was good.  They needed to find a QB to play and also a RG.  

There was a plan but $hit happens - injuries, Lewis going AWOL - and you MUST have contingency plans in place.

Especially with this team’s history - and QBs, it was EGREGIOUS not to have a viable backup when the $hit hits the fan like it did on these years of ‘96, ‘99, ‘03, ‘05, ‘12, ‘16-‘17, etc. or when you’re starting a rookie who should sit before being thrusted behind a talent-deficient and inexperienced team and mediocre OLine  

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, doitny said:

LaFleur needs to go upstairs to the booth. he admitted how much better it is to see things and call plays from there but he wants to stay on the sidelines to talk to Zach cause he is a rookie.

well thats not working.

they have a QB coach who could talk to Zack... and dont we have phones? he needs to get his ass upstairs

and bring in Josh Johnson from the PS and demote White. Johnson is 35 yr old. thats the vet you wanted. he could help out on the sideline too while LaFleur is in the booth. 

At this point you piss on a spark plug if you think it could work.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Brian Costello

LONDON – The Jets fell 27-20 to the Falcons here on Sunday and now are 1-4. Here are some thoughts and observations from across the pond:

1. When a team selects a new head coach, the next most important hire is who that coach selects to run the opposite side of the ball from his own expertise. So when the Jets picked Robert Saleh, who was a defensive coordinator, it was critical that he find the right offensive coordinator. In my opinion, a new head coach is better off selecting a veteran coach for that position. There will be enough growing pains for a first-time head coach himself. He should have someone running the other side of the ball with experience. For instance, the Sean McVay hired Wade Phillips as his defensive coordinator when he became the Rams coach and they went to the Super Bowl. Todd Bowles hired Chan Gailey as his offensive coordinator with the Jets and had early success.

Saleh hired Mike LaFleur, a 34-year-old who had never called plays in the NFL before. I’m not saying LaFleur will never be a good offensive coordinator. He might become a very good one. But right now you can see him struggling to find his way and it is hurting the Jets. On Sunday, the Jets got outcoached in the first half. Falcons coach Arthur Smith went the veteran route for his defensive coordinator, luring Dean Pees out of retirement. Pees began coaching in 1979. LaFleur was born in 1987. Advantage Pees. Pees has been the defensive coordinator under Bill Belichick, John Harbaugh and Mike Vrabel. As Rex Ryan used to say, he has pelts on his wall.

Robert Saleh and the Jets are off to a 1-4 start. Robert Saleh and the Jets are off to a 1-4 start. Dave Shopland/Shutterstock

The Jets offense looks lost right now. This is not entirely LaFleur’s fault. Zach Wilson must make better throws. Corey Davis must catch the ball. The offensive line needs to open holes in the running game. However, LaFleur bears plenty of blame. The offense looks ill-prepared at the beginning of games. He has not been able to give Wilson the answers to the test when defensive coordinators like Pees, Vic Fangio or Belichick throw things at him to confuse him.

LaFleur may become a really good offensive coordinator someday. Until then, though, it looks like Saleh hired a friend who may not be ready for the job. The Jets are going to have to go through the pain of him learning on the job.

2. The Jets’ struggles early in games is mind-boggling. It is hard to imagine a team being this bad at the start of a game. We all know that offensive coordinators script the start of games. LaFleur may want to just pick plays out of a hat from now on. The first drive of the game should look crisp. These are your favorite plays against that team. These are plays that the offense practices repeatedly between Wednesday and Saturday. Under Adam Gase, the Jets actually started games off well on a lot of occasions. They usually just fell apart after that. But that made more sense. At least you could see they entered the game with a good plan. They just failed to adjust, which was a whole other problem. This group seems to be failing when it comes to building the game plan.

Mike LaFleur and Zach Wilson on Sept. 17, 2021. Mike LaFleur and Zach Wilson on Sept. 17, 2021. Bill Kostroun/New York Post

Digging in on the first quarter statistics paints an ugly, ugly picture: 0 points, 79 total yards, five first downs, 2-for-11 on third down (none converted since Week 1), 42 total plays run, 68 rushing yards, 11 net passing yards. QB Zach Wilson is 5-of-18 for 34 yards with two interceptions in the first quarter.

The Jets will spend the bye week searching for answers to why they are starting slow. They better find them because they can’t keep playing from behind every week.

3. Matt Ryan picked the Jets defense apart early and late in the game Sunday. Ryan showed the formula for beating the Jets defense. Get the ball out quickly, flood the middle of the field and take a few deep shots. It sounds easier than it is to pull off. But Ryan negated the Jets pass rush with how quickly he got rid of the ball and it is something the Jets can expect to see, particularly from veteran quarterbacks. 

Saleh’s defense is not particularly complicated or exotic. It relies on creating pressure on the quarterback and disguising coverages. Veteran quarterbacks are tough to fool. The good news for the Jets is they don’t see a lot more of them. Tom Brady looms at the end of the season and he tears apart nearly every defense so we know how that will likely go. Josh Allen is playing at an extremely high level right now, so that one might be rough. Other than those two, though, the schedule features mostly young quarterbacks or journeymen.

One thing that stood out watching Ryan was his anticipation. Watching it live, I often would not even see the receiver when he threw the ball and then the receiver would break free. He knew where his receiver would be before he got there. It is an area that Zach Wilson needs to improve on. He is waiting on receivers. That created the interception on Sunday. Wilson needs to anticipate more and throw to the spot.

4. The week would not be complete without a Denzel Mims development. Mims played just eight snaps but had two catches for 33 yards, including a 27-yard catch late in the game. You can see Mims’ ability, even in these small doses. He looks like a different type of athlete out there. He is a big man that runs really fast. That stands out. It is baffling that the Jets are not using him more with the way this offense is going.

That being said, I noticed something Sunday that I think could be an example of what the coaches don’t like from Mims. My seat at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium was about 20 rows up from the Jets sideline. It was an amazing perspective. It also allowed me to observe some things.

Denzel Mims makes a catch against the Falcons on Oct. 10, 2021. Denzel Mims makes a catch against the Falcons on Oct. 10, 2021. Action Images via Reuters

After a series, the players split off into position groups and go over things with their position coach. I noticed on a few of these occasions the wide receivers were gathered around coach Miles Austin, but Mims was standing 50 feet away talking to an inactive teammate. Mims probably would argue he did not need to be in the huddle because he was not even in on that series. But it is a bad look. Just stand there and listen. You can see other players who are not involved in the game doing that with their position groups.

People have asked: what did Mims do? From what I have gathered, there is no big incident that led to the Jets coaches not trusting him. But it is little things that add up. Mims needs to do everything to win over the coaches right now, even a little thing by being attentive on the sideline.

Revealing stat 

After gaining just 64 yards rushing Sunday, the Jets now have 370 this season. There are five players in the NFL who have more rushing yards than the entire Jets team – the Titans’ Derrick Henry (640), the Browns’ Nick Chubb (523), the Cowboys’ Ezekiel Elliott (452), the Jaguars’ James Robinson (387) and the Bengals’ Joe Mixon (386).

Surprising snap count

Elijah Moore played just 23 snaps (41 percent) in his return from a concussion on Sunday. Moore had no catches but did draw a key pass interference penalty. Moore was such a monster in the spring and early in training camp, it is puzzling how he has had such little impact so far.

Game ball 

No one on the Jets deserves one this week. Let’s give it to the people of London, who were terrific hosts for the NFL. Tottenham Hotspur Stadium is the nicest stadium I have ever seen and the staff was extremely helpful and pleasant. Also, a shout out to the Marriott Marble Arch crew that took good care of the Jets beat writers for our trip. 

mostly agree.  a little issue taken on point 3.  that formula works against just about every team.  the jets needed to be better prepared for that type of play and considering that ulbrich came from atlanta it's kind of strange.

i agree the most with the point about the offensive coordinator.  the fact that this team starts so slowly really points to lafleur.  does he understand the defenses the team is going against?  they make good adjustments at the half so it's not like he's totally clueless.

wilson?  he missed some pretty easy throws and he needs to do better.  he needs to fully understand that his first job is to move the chains. even if they get those multi play long drives, a few first downs in a row gives the defense a blow and time to prepare for their next appearance.

10 hours ago, doitny said:

well thats not working.

Not sure how sending him to the booth changes the poor game plan they show up with. 

• Upvote 1

People are seriously mentioning Gruden's name?  They guy was a ******* moron the first time around.  He was a moron in the booth.  He is a moron this time around.  He mishandled the Raiders and Carr and Chris Simms hate him.   Oh and he is racist too.  Perfect hire.  I know some of you guys put lol on your posts but whoever seriously floated that name should be hanging their heads in shame.  

• Post of the Week 1

Another load of crap. 

The difference between the Falcons and the Jets is simple.  They have a solid plus veteran QB.  Why am I hearing sh*t about Pees?  I don't think LaFleur is in over his head.  I think he has things to learn, but I think the main problem is that the QB is inconsistent so they can't run their offense.  Dean Pees and his ******* pelts are 28th in points allowed.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Another load of crap. 

The difference between the Falcons and the Jets is simple.  They have a solid plus veteran QB.  Why am I hearing sh*t about Pees?  I don't think LaFleur is in over his head.  I think he has things to learn, but I think the main problem is that the QB is inconsistent so they can't run their offense.  Dean Pees and his ******* pelts are 28th in points allowed.  

I’ve never known you to be a staunch naive apologist. Your posts aren’t coming across well.

Are things as dramatic/dire as the media suggests? Of course not. Did Saleh make a rookie mistake hiring an unproven guy like Mike to help bring the Phoenix out of ashes? fck yes. If you can’t concede some common sense level of potential agreeableness to that notion - take your megaphone to the streets where the mouth breathers will listen 

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

I’ve never known you to be a staunch naive apologist. Your posts aren’t coming across well.

Are things as dramatic/dire as the media suggests? Of course not. Did Saleh make a rookie mistake hiring an unproven guy like Mike to help bring the Phoenix out of ashes? fck yes. If you can’t concede some common sense level of potential agreeableness to that notion - take your megaphone to the streets where the mouth breathers will listen 

This is hysterical.  I am the guy with the megaphone?  I pretty much didn't even post until Tuesday because I knew this place would be batsh*t crazy on Sunday and Monday.  I get we are angry and frustrated and want to blow off steam and find an easy solution.

I watch the games.  I don't see an OC over his head.  I see a very inconsistent QB that ****s up some very simple plays that would extend drives.  Maybe the OC is not doing well, but I don't see the smoking gun the rest of you seem to be staring at.  As far as I can tell, the premise is that they should not have hired and up and coming young OC because he is young and not established.  If they were to do something so unheard of, they should not have done so without bringing in an experienced hand.   Well, that was Knapp.  We all know that.  Then I hear they should have replaced Knapp with another vet.  Well, that is Cavanaugh.  We all know that too, don't we?  Yes, Miles Austin is a newb, but Benton has been around forever and the OLine is about as big of work in progress as anything.  

I don't really care how this message lands.   If I have to keep reading the same drivel, I'm going to post my thoughts, just like the people that post one liners blaming the Johnsons, or that Gase was better.  I am about as far from a naive apologist as they come.  There are reasons this teams sucks and is inconsistent.  I knew those reasons before the season started.  So did everyone else.  I think is silly to complain about things being bad and inconsistent when we knew this is what we were going to get.  Do they have to get better?  Absolutely.  Will they? Who ******* knows?   They are a young team, with questionable talent, young coaches installing new and complicated systems on both sides of the ball that has lost some of their best players.  Early season struggles were inevitable.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

This is hysterical.  I am the guy with the megaphone?  I pretty much didn't even post until Tuesday because I knew this place would be batsh*t crazy on Sunday and Monday.  I get we are angry and frustrated and want to blow off steam and find an easy solution.

I watch the games.  I don't see an OC over his head.  I see a very inconsistent QB that ****s up some very simple plays that would extend drives.  Maybe the OC is not doing well, but I don't see the smoking gun the rest of you seem to be staring at.  As far as I can tell, the premise is that they should not have hired and up and coming young OC because he is young and not established.  If they were to do something so unheard of, they should not have done so without bringing in an experienced hand.   Well, that was Knapp.  We all know that.  Then I hear they should have replaced Knapp with another vet.  Well, that is Cavanaugh.  We all know that too, don't we?  Yes, Miles Austin is a newb, but Benton has been around forever and the OLine is about as big of work in progress as anything.  

I don't really care how this message lands.   If I have to keep reading the same drivel, I'm going to post my thoughts, just like the people that post one liners blaming the Johnsons, or that Gase was better.  I am about as far from a naive apologist as they come.  There are reasons this teams sucks and is inconsistent.  I knew those reasons before the season started.  So did everyone else.  I think is silly to complain about things being bad and inconsistent when we knew this is what we were going to get.  Do they have to get better?  Absolutely.  Will they? Who ******* knows?   They are a young team, with questionable talent, young coaches installing new and complicated systems on both sides of the ball that has lost some of their best players.  Early season struggles were inevitable.  

hysterical? how is it hysterical. have you read the definition of that word recently - or have you gone full blown hyperbole mode... which is basically what my issue has been with your posts. You're making these absolute rulings over things as the Jets have no need to clean up their bedroom. Are you kidding me man. Is the struggles of our OC being overblown? I dunno, but he sure as sh*t isn't "experienced" with how to groom a QB from BYU... you tell me Zach is missing stuff, it's up to MIKE to draw up a gameplan to lessen those moments.

Actually, nevermind. You're not presenting as someone how has any interest in discussing this stuff. Just scorching earth. 

18 minutes ago, Paradis said:

hysterical? how is it hysterical. have you read the definition of that word recently - or have you gone full blown hyperbole mode... which is basically what my issue has been with your posts. You're making these absolute rulings over things as the Jets have no need to clean up their bedroom. Are you kidding me man. Is the struggles of our OC being overblown? I dunno, but he sure as sh*t isn't "experienced" with how to groom a QB from BYU... you tell me Zach is missing stuff, it's up to MIKE to draw up a gameplan to lessen those moments.

Actually, nevermind. You're not presenting as someone how has any interest in discussing this stuff. Just scorching earth. 

You have been taking issue with me lately.  That's cool, but you're claiming I am in hyperbole mode?  Give me a ******* break.  Literally my single point is that we knew things would not go easily and now that they aren't we can't be sure why.  You want to blame the OC?  That's cool too, but my point is you don't know.  Even if it is his fault, he certainly can turn it around.  It also can be mostly on the QB and the offensive line. 

I don't have any interest in scorching any earth.  My main point is that after five weeks we don't know sh*t, so it is kind of tough to determine exactly what should be changed.  I mean you seem very knowledgeable - put in Mims!  Simplify the offense!  I don't know what was up with Mims.  I still have high hopes for him, but we can't be sure they aren't handling him properly.  Maybe you're right and he should be used more, but maybe not.  I honestly don't know how MIKE is supposed to draw up a game plan to make things easy for a kid who throws grounders to wide open running backs when there is no pressure.   

SCORCH THE EARTH!