Adam Schefter says NFL was behind Gruden-gate

Bugg

Just said in ESPN: Pretty much saying NFL did a hit job by releasing more emails to pressure Mark Davis to fire Gruden. League was upset he was allowed to coach Sunday. Thought action should have been taken much earlier by Davis

seems this was a revenge hit for what he said about the nfl as an ESPN EMPLOYEE that was leaked via the Discovery of the WFT investigation. 

Says very unlikely that Gruden willfully walks away from $60M left in his contract. 

• Upvote 1

What I’m curious about is the $ left in his contract of 10years. 

Seems he was forced to resign. Schefter says league wanted Davis to fire him and but he didn’t. He can’t fire him for something he said in confidence in an email when employed elsewhere 10 years ago. I highly doubt Gruden simply resigns and forfeits the remaining $60M (especially in this economy, hey-yo!) 

Does Gruden get a parachute or does he sue? 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

What I’m curious about is the $ left in his contract of 10years. 

Seems he was forced to resign. Schaecter says league wanted Davis to fire him and but he didn’t. He can’t fire him for something he said in confidence in an email when employed elsewhere 10 years ago. I highly doubt Gruden simply resigns and forfeits the remaining $60M (especially in this economy, hey-yo!) 

Does Gruden get a parachute or does he sue? 

If he resigned then he can't really sue. I assume he took a pretty good deal to walk away quietly. 

3 minutes ago, PS17 said:

The lede is getting buried in all this. The Redskins were essentially pimping out their cheerleaders. Gruden gets fired for being an idiot good old boy. But Snyder still owns a team? 

Goodell is employed by the owners, not the coaches.  So of course Snyder still owns a team.  It would take much, much more than what Gruden did (and the current WFT scandal isn't enough either) to force a sale of the WFT.  

• Post of the Week 2

Shouldn’t there be more outrage that the commissioner is cited as “pressuring” Jeff Fisher to draft a certain player? Isn’t that meddling by the league in a team’s affairs? Other owners should be upset about that, no?

of all those emails to be released, it’s very hard to believe Gruden is the only person to take a hit from this PR disaster.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well if they are going to boot people for some of the stuff he  has said, especially homophobic then they better be ready to turf a lot of other guys and players.

We have come a long ways in a short time and what was once frowned on is now a hanging offense

And it should be a hanging offense for Gruden.  You can't talk that way when you're an NFL coach and keep your job.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, dcJet said:

Gruden's an idiot for making those comments on an NFL email server.  

Dumbass.

Absolutely.   That’s is dumb 

But, was he joking?  I haven’t read them and won’t waste my time.  I’m just curious as to whether he was authenticity telling jokes. Because I do think, that’s very different and doesn’t have to be bigoted.  Also why, I’m so glad Chappelle is doubling down on his comments and not letting the mob control him.  First person I can recall with the balls to do so

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Absolutely.   That’s is dumb 

But, was he joking?  I haven’t read them and won’t waste my time.  I’m just curious as to whether he was authenticity telling jokes. Because I do think that’s very different and doesn’t have to be bigoted.  Also why I’m so glad Chappelle is doubling down on his comments and not letting the mob control him.  First person I can recall with the balls to do so

I don't think he was joking. This is just the way he talks when he's off camera.

You can't do that if you're an NFL coach.

He's a dumbass.