Zach Wilson's struggles with play action

Bronx

9 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

How did everyone in the league miss Jackson except for the Ravens?   Wow, he has really stepped up his overall game.  Probably the best running back in the NFL.  Now has become a pretty good passer, too.  Four passing TDs last night, two in critical moments.

Much like Zach and Lawrence who feasted on weaker competition , Jackson "ran" roughshod over the ACC.  However he got by purely on athleticism where the others showed they were proficient passers . Take a look at his bowl game film against LSU , where he got completely shutdown because he couldn't pass. I'm sure there were teams that looked at him and thought WR/CB. 

Much credit goes to the Ravens, Greg Roman and Jackson himself for developing the passing game while still not limiting his athleticism 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I also remember watching some of the fake hand offs he made in college on film and somebody literally typed "He's not even getting it close to the running back."  Seems like a lot of stuff the average Joe could see but the guys scouting him missed?  Just weird. 100% way tougher and more likeable than I thought he would be as well. 

JT O'Sullivan, his analysis has been spot on.  All the sh*t you're seeing now, he called out on the tape.  I think that was part of his "what am I missing" analysis of Wilson.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Much like Zach and Lawrence who feasted on weaker competition , Jackson "ran" roughshod over the ACC.  However he got by purely on athleticism where the others showed they were proficient passers . Take a look at his bowl game film against LSU , where he got completely shutdown because he couldn't pass. I'm sure there were teams that looked at him and thought WR/CB. 

Much credit goes to the Ravens, Greg Roman and Jackson himself for developing the passing game while still not limiting his athleticism 

Your point about Jackson's inability to pass is what makes his passing ability now so shocking.  No one could have imagined it.  I was sure Jackson was a one trick pony who would be out of the NFL quick.   Now?  He's one of the best all around QBs.   As  you say, massive props to their coaching staff but especially to Lamar who elevated his game to a ridiculous level.

37 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Your point about Jackson's inability to pass is what makes his passing ability now so shocking.  No one could have imagined it.  I was sure Jackson was a one trick pony who would be out of the NFL quick.   Now?  He's one of the best all around QBs.   As  you say, massive props to their coaching staff but especially to Lamar who elevated his game to a ridiculous level.

Lamar Jackson has more yardage than 18 teams in the NFL.

That is ******* mind blowing. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, shuler82 said:

All seems so simple and obvious and yet…

and yet LaFloor will probably increase the number of play action attempts to prove to the world he is smarter than everyone.  LaFloor was a major mistake by Saleh and Douglas.  We'll probably be stuck with this dog poop for the next 3 years.  Unless Saleh and Douglas have the balls to act on the obvious.  Saleh's defense has major problems as well, so hell just let sh*ttenheimer on LaFLoor do whatever it wants.  Can't wait.

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I also remember watching some of the fake hand offs he made in college on film and somebody literally typed "He's not even getting it close to the running back."  Seems like a lot of stuff the average Joe could see but the guys scouting him missed?  Just weird. 100% way tougher and more likeable than I thought he would be as well. 

The fake handoff isn't the problem.  Zach has plenty of them, but his fake handoff skill-set is very far down the line.

I love that video - where the guy is literally recommending he stare down his receiver.  

Sounded to me an awful lot like a guy that looked for a bad throw and decided to pile on....knowing knucklehead anti-zaxers will eat it up, share it and watch it over and over again.

Even something as silly as his fake hand-off chicanery and the fact that he actually IS looking off DB's is a problem.  He's probably laughing at Jet fans as I write this.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

How did everyone in the league miss Jackson except for the Ravens?   Wow, he has really stepped up his overall game.  Probably the best running back in the NFL.  Now has become a pretty good passer, too.  Four passing TDs last night, two in critical moments.

This is year 4 for him...and he's become a good passer.

He got by for quite a while on his sheer athleticism and that's great, but when he becomes a great passer is when he'll have as shot at a Super Bowl.  Sure seems like he's getting there.

It takes times to become a good passer for most of them, particularly when you're on a sh*tty team.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, The Crusher said:

transition-300x263.jpg

...and then I finished reading the rest of the post which sounds fair.  But I can't waste an opportunity to jump to conclusions can I?   I mean, it's the internet.  

22 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The fake handoff isn't the problem.  Zach has plenty of them, but his fake handoff skill-set is very far down the line.

I love that video - where the guy is literally recommending he stare down his receiver.  

Sounded to me an awful lot like a guy that looked for a bad throw and decided to pile on....knowing knucklehead anti-zaxers will eat it up, share it and watch it over and over again.

Even something as silly as his fake hand-off chicanery and the fact that he actually IS looking off DB's is a problem.  He's probably laughing at Jet fans as I write this.

Orlovsky has made a career out of providing bad but polished content but Zach was sloppy on PA in college. It’s something he needs to work on.

4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I guess there’s hope for Fields then.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JiFapono said:

JT O'Sullivan, his analysis has been spot on.  All the sh*t you're seeing now, he called out on the tape.  I think that was part of his "what am I missing" analysis of Wilson.

Daniel Kelly looking quite prescient also.