Two plays from first drive that could've been huge gains

AFJF

Going through all 22 right now and the first two pass plays already have me shaking my head.  Two plays, both of which have a receiver wide open down the field who Zach doesn't see or doesn't throw to.

In fairness, first one would be a very difficult throw when Keelan Cole blows past the LBer up the left seam and is then running free.  It's possible Zach hesitated to wait for him to get free but then had to bail when Morgan Moses gets beat by the pass rusher.  Feels like his college film would see him use that quick release and let it rip for a big gain.

This one is worse IMO because it's literally the exact type of play that got him drafted and we've seen him make throws like this before.

Ball pops out of his hands at the snap but he immediately recovers.  As he's rolling away from pressure, still has plenty of room to make  a throw as Corey Davis gets behind the secondary and nothing between him and the end zone.  Zach either doesn't see him or doesn't throw it for whatever reason.  Not trying to kill the kid, but this isn't all on the OC at this point.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Going through all 22 right now and the first two pass plays already have me shaking my head.  Two plays, both of which have a receiver wide open down the field who Zach doesn't see or doesn't throw to.

In fairness, first one would be a very difficult throw when Keelan Cole blows past the LBer up the left seam and is then running free.  It's possible Zach hesitated to wait for him to get free but then had to bail when Morgan Moses gets beat by the pass rusher.  Feels like his college film would see him use that quick release and let it rip for a big gain.

This one is worse IMO because it's literally the exact type of play that got him drafted and we've seen him make throws like this before.

Ball pops out of his hands at the snap but he immediately recovers.  As he's rolling away from pressure, still has plenty of room to make  a throw as Corey Davis gets behind the secondary and nothing between him and the end zone.  Zach either doesn't see him or doesn't throw it for whatever reason.  Not trying to kill the kid, but this isn't all on the OC at this point.

Oh God, this is sickening. There are open receivers in multiple spots

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

One thing this points out. Lefluer may not be as bad as we think. Receivers are getting open

Clealy the play calling isn't as bad as we've been hearing, but I'd love to know what happened to the kid's mechanics.  I watched every throw he made in college and they never looked as bad as they do now.  Checked multiple mainstream draft sites for their pre-draft evaluations of Wilson and not one of them said a word about bad mechanics.  But for whatever reason, they're wildly inconsistent/broken at this point.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Sonny Werblin said:

The game needs to slow down for Zach, and that only comes with time and experience.

This is basically what I think it boils down to, but he had tons of time to uncork a deep ball to Davis.  Not as if that was bang/bang play with a small window of opportunity.

I noticed when watching that Lefluer constantly calls like 15-20 yard routes for both WRs on easy downs and it’s just completely unnecessary. I’m all for taking shots but you know Zach is struggling, make it easier. 

Unfortunately for Wilson, Knapp would be all over his mechanics and footwork, that’s out the window. Hopefully they work on it in the off-season with a veteran coach they bring in. 

Good breakdown.  I think these we can chalk up to rookie QB / bad timing (Pass rush on the first one, bad snap on the 2nd one).  

I think there is hope they can work all these things out, and improve. 

Maybe the bye came at a good time. 

Give these guys time to take a few deep breath's, watch the tape, communicate, iron out some of these issues, and maybe we come out of the bye a better football team.  I expect them to take steps this year, hopefully big steps as the year goes on.  I truly think there is a lot of talent on this team, sometimes it just takes time.  It sucks, especially where we've been these last few years...we all want a competitive team, week in and week out.  Sick of feeling like they aren't even competitive in these games.  But we need to give these guys time.  It's only been 5 games, and there has been some flashes...

When the coaching staff is beating it into your head every day for weeks that 4 yard passes are better than TD's, it's hard to adjust on the fly sometimes, I guess.

So what you’re saying is the coach schemed 2 plays for a receiver to run wide open, but they don’t want Zach to throw it there? I get the idea, you want to blame everything and everyone else because it hurts too much to realize the chosen one isn’t so chosen after all. The kid sucks, wake up.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

This is basically what I think it boils down to, but he had tons of time to uncork a deep ball to Davis.  Not as if that was bang/bang play with a small window of opportunity.

Things look a heck of a lot different at field level, behind the line of scrimmage with 21 other guys flashing around the field.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Zach gets very locked in to Corey Davis early in games. He doesn't start throwing Cole's way until the 4th quarter. He's got to start spreading the ball around more.

This and the fact that when he misses throws they're HIGH are what bother me most so far about Wilson.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

One thing this points out. Lefluer may not be as bad as we think. Receivers are getting open

yes and no.  the receivers got open for gase too.  it's up to the qb to find them and then deliver.  i know a lot of people think the qb needs to make all of these reads.  i don't necessarily buy that.  if the offense is functioning right then only one read is needed and that on the primary guy for the particular play.  i doubt if brady or even matty ice scan the field that much.  they see the prime guy getting open and deliver the ball.  lafleur needs to call plays that can get wilson into a rythym and also influence the way the defense is scheming.

It comes down to combined fault of Wilson is off with his throws, not seeing receivers open, line not always giving the best protection and play calling definitely could be better no simple solutions to our offensive problems

Or the game is moving too fast for him. It happens. 5 games is nothing.

His one good season of college ball was against opponents at the speed of a moped. Now he’s facing lamborghinis everyday and he’s completely outclassed. He’s not going to catch up to it anytime even remotely soon. He was a perfect QB candidate to sit for 3 years and then maybe he’d be ready, but he was not worth the #2 overall and the Jets need to have the guts to correct this blunder in next years draft.

• Thumb Down 3

20 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Clealy the play calling isn't as bad as we've been hearing, but I'd love to know what happened to the kid's mechanics.  I watched every throw he made in college and they never looked as bad as they do now.  Checked multiple mainstream draft sites for their pre-draft evaluations of Wilson and not one of them said a word about bad mechanics.  But for whatever reason, they're wildly inconsistent/broken at this point.

Happy feet

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

His one good season of college ball was against opponents at the speed of a moped. Now he’s facing lamborghinis everyday and he’s completely outclassed. He’s not going to catch up to it anytime even remotely soon. He was a perfect QB candidate to sit for 3 years and then maybe he’d be ready, but he was not worth the #2 overall and the Jets need to have the guts to correct this blunder in next years draft.

We get it. You don't like the kid. You have stated that over, and over and over again. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

40 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I pointed these out, they're giving him easy stuff early in the game, he just cant do it.  It's impossible to look good as a coordinator when your QB play is this bad.

The first play, he also has an easy little flip to Carter once the play broke down who has literally nobody around him when he started to scramble before he got back to the LOS.  For some stupid reason he decides he's going to tuck it, run and lower his shoulder to a LB'er.  

Look at his progression on the first play… it starts at the right of the field. Cole was probably the third option on that play… when he gets to it the rush is in his face and needs to scramble. 

Second play…  He does complete the ball to crowder for the first but crowder drops it. 

also didn’t they throw a flag for a WR running out of bounds on that second play? I’m not seeing it? 

8 minutes ago, rangerous said:

yes and no.  the receivers got open for gase too.  it's up to the qb to find them and then deliver.  i know a lot of people think the qb needs to make all of these reads.  i don't necessarily buy that.  if the offense is functioning right then only one read is needed and that on the primary guy for the particular play.  i doubt if brady or even matty ice scan the field that much.  they see the prime guy getting open and deliver the ball.  lafleur needs to call plays that can get wilson into a rythym and also influence the way the defense is scheming.

When your QB locks on a receiver, he isn't  getting open and Zack does stare down receivers. He needs to look off defenders. Regardless, the LB's and S's have more to do with who is going to be open and who is covered than the play design. They all look at film  so they can recognize formations or particular things players do that give themselves away so saying the ball should go to this guy because he is the primary read probably  doesn't always work which is why you see Rogers throwing TD passes to other player not named Adams.  

28 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The game needs to slow down for Zach, and that only comes with time and experience.

Right, but you'll rarely get a better look than that.  All linemen/lbers behind him and only DBs in front with his 6' 4" behind the deepest one.

2 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I pointed these out, they're giving him easy stuff early in the game, he just cant do it.  It's impossible to look good as a coordinator when your QB play is this bad.

The first play, he also has an easy little flip to Carter once the play broke down who has literally nobody around him when he started to scramble before he got back to the LOS.  For some stupid reason he decides he's going to tuck it, run and lower his shoulder to a LB'er.  

First play, if carter makes a block Wilson has a huge gain…