Two plays from first drive that could've been huge gains

AFJF

You can watch tape from every NFL game and find guys flying wide open that don't get the ball for various reasons:
1- Not the first read

2- Defensive pressure

3- Defense follows QB eyes and lets WR run free on opposite side of field. 

4- Rookie QBs miss things all the time

This happens in every game. You have announcers yelling that player X is wide open and it was big miss by the offense but that's just easy click bait that makes them seem smart. QB's don't drop back, watch all 3/4/5 options run their route and choose the most open player. 

Obviously, we need Zach to be better at identifying the best option pre-snap and go through his progressions better, but if he was great at that after 5 weeks we would be looking at an all time great QB. 

I am more concerned with his accuracy at this point. Either way, all of these things usually get better as a QB matures. 

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Pichula said:

Look at his progression on the first play… it starts at the right of the field. Cole was probably the third option on that play… when he gets to it the rush is in his face and needs to scramble. 

Second play…  He does complete the ball to crowder for the first but crowder drops it. 

also didn’t they throw a flag for a WR running out of bounds on that second play? I’m not seeing it? 

I just watched the first play about 5 or 6 times. One rusher got through and Zack side stepped him and rolled out. Zack also could have avoided him by stepping up and throwing to one of the two receivers that were about 5 yards down field and he could have thrown it to the RB instead of sacrificing his body to a freaking LB. Regardless, he missed the guy that broke open on the left who was open before the rush got there. 

44 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

One thing this points out. Lefluer may not be as bad as we think. Receivers are getting open

Yeah, I was going to say, maybe it's not all on the play calling.

If you call a play, and the receiver is wide open, and the players fail to make a play, whose fault is it?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I just watched the first play about 5 or 6 times. One rusher got through and Zack side stepped him and rolled out. Zack also could have avoided him by stepping up and throwing to one of the two receivers that were about 5 yards down field and he could have thrown it to the RB instead of sacrificing his body to a freaking LB. Regardless, he missed the guy that broke open on the left who was open before the rush got there. 

He was open before the rush got there but not before he got to his third read, that’s not how playing QB works. If Carter makes a block it’s a big gain. Either way you are crying or a difference if two yards there. Nonsense 

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

Yeah, I was going to say, maybe it's not all on the play calling.

If you call a play, and the receiver is wide open, and the players fail to make a play, whose fault is it?

Wilson not making a broken play throw after a bad snap and rolling to his left has nothing to do with the OC making a good call.

on the first play both of Wilson’s initial reads are covered, cole getting open there is pretty irrelevant 

8 minutes ago, Pichula said:

The first read is not open at all on these of these plays, not to mention you can even evaluate the play with the bad snap 

Oh for crying out loud. What do we have, a one read QB? And that snap was not bad, it hit him straight in his hands and he popped it up. That was all Zack

9 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You can watch tape from every NFL game and find guys flying wide open that don't get the ball for various reasons:
1- Not the first read

2- Defensive pressure

3- Defense follows QB eyes and lets WR run free on opposite side of field. 

4- Rookie QBs miss things all the time

This happens in every game. You have announcers yelling that player X is wide open and it was big miss by the offense but that's just easy click bait that makes them seem smart. QB's don't drop back, watch all 3/4/5 options run their route and choose the most open player. 

Obviously, we need Zach to be better at identifying the best option pre-snap and go through his progressions better, but if he was great at that after 5 weeks we would be looking at an all time great QB. 

I am more concerned with his accuracy at this point. Either way, all of these things usually get better as a QB matures. 

Agreed, total amateur arm chair QBing by these Twitter “experts”

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Clealy the play calling isn't as bad as we've been hearing, but I'd love to know what happened to the kid's mechanics.  I watched every throw he made in college and they never looked as bad as they do now.  Checked multiple mainstream draft sites for their pre-draft evaluations of Wilson and not one of them said a word about bad mechanics.  But for whatever reason, they're wildly inconsistent/broken at this point.

JN's draft forum had numerous conversation about his mechanics.  Waldman and JT O'Sullivan all pointed out his mechanical flaws and said they could be killers at the next level.  The fading, the extra steps in his drop backs, the not resetting his feet, the heel clicks, not squaring up the target, the hero balls, etc were all on display.  Once again proving that we have better talent evaluators then the NFL.  ;-)  

• Sympathy 1

Just now, More Cowbell said:

Oh for crying out loud. What do we have, a one read QB? And that snap was not bad, it hit him straight in his hands and he popped it up. That was all Zack

It doesn’t matter who’s fault the snap was… it changed the read and timing of the play. It’s a broken play at that point. Jesus dude. And no he is not a one read QB, cole was his third read and when he gets to him the rush is in his face. You think QBs scan all their reads simultaneously? lol 

2 minutes ago, Pichula said:

He was open before the rush got there but not before he got to his third read, that’s not how playing QB works. If Carter makes a block it’s a big gain. Either way you are crying or a difference if two yards there. Nonsense 

I don't  agree. If Zack saw the guy that wide open and didn't  throw it, it's on him. I don't  care if he has 10 reads to make. The guy was so open he could have ordered fish and chips from the stands and still caught the ball.

Just now, More Cowbell said:

I don't  agree. If Zack saw the guy that wide open and didn't  throw it, it's on him. I don't  care if he has 10 reads to make. The guy was so open he could have ordered fish and chips from the stands and still caught the ball.

Sorry but you are completely clueless, I mean that in the most respectful way possible. 

2 minutes ago, Pichula said:

It doesn’t matter who’s fault the snap was… it changed the read and timing of the play. It’s a broken play at that point. Jesus dude. And no he is not a one read QB, cole was his third read and when he gets to him the rush is in his face. You think QBs scan all their reads simultaneously? lol 

He had time to see him. This was far from a jail break.  You make it sound like the rush came unblocked. Yeah  the defender beat the OL but not right away. I don care if Cole is the fifth read, he was open out of the gate. He has to make that throw. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

His one good season of college ball was against opponents at the speed of a moped. Now he’s facing lamborghinis everyday and he’s completely outclassed. He’s not going to catch up to it anytime even remotely soon. He was a perfect QB candidate to sit for 3 years and then maybe he’d be ready, but he was not worth the #2 overall and the Jets need to have the guts to correct this blunder in next years draft.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Keep blowing that horn skippy.

29 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

When your QB locks on a receiver, he isn't  getting open and Zack does stare down receivers. He needs to look off defenders. Regardless, the LB's and S's have more to do with who is going to be open and who is covered than the play design. They all look at film  so they can recognize formations or particular things players do that give themselves away so saying the ball should go to this guy because he is the primary read probably  doesn't always work which is why you see Rogers throwing TD passes to other player not named Adams.  

yes but the receiver always has the advantage because he knows where he's supposed to be going.  the defender is always playing catch unless they've guessed the play call.  wilson does lock onto receivers at times but if he did take the short option it wouldn't matter.  most of the time it's like he's waiting for a receiver to get more free before throwing.  he's got to start believing the receiver will get free and start throwing to a spot.

Just now, Pichula said:

65D677AB-8536-41B2-B7FC-38F684F44F03.png

I dont think you know where Carter is on this still.  Did you want him to block in the back and get a flag?   He was never in front of the LBer, there are 2 defenders near the side of the field Zach is running to.

lol  

Flip it to Carter and it's a 40 yard gain, easily.

13 minutes ago, Pichula said:

I am not an apologist, I am deeply concerned about his accuracy (not the gimmie misses but on the intermediate stuff). 

Oh no, you see a snap pop up in the air and it a bad snap, not that Zack muffed it, you see a play where not 1, not 2, but 3 receivers are open  and nobody is even close to Zack and he doesn't  throw  it but it's because he doesn't  have enough time to find anyone because one pass rusher got through even though  he didn't  even beat the initial block. No, you don't  apologize  for him at all. 

32 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

This right here.  That only comes with experience.  Right now he has to go through his progressions.

Established vets walk up to the line of scrimmage, read the defense and know that while the play design calls for the X receiver to be the first read, the defense that is being played will result in the slot being open, so they take the snap and the first read becomes the slot instead of the X.

4 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I dont think you know where Carter is on this still.  Did you want him to block in the back and get a flag?   He was never in front of the LBer, there are 2 defenders near the side of the field Zach is running to.

lol  

Flip it to Carter and it's a 40 yard gain, easily.

Ah yes, it’s the receiver. Wilson is well past the line of scrimmage there, not sure what 40 yard gain you’re talking about 

1 minute ago, IndianaJet said:

This right here.  That only comes with experience.  Right now he has to go through his progressions.

Established vets walk up to the line of scrimmage, read the defense and know that while the play design calls for the X receiver to be the first read, the defense that is being played will result in the slot being open, so they take the snap and the first read becomes the slot instead of the X.

It's what makes Tom Brady the greatest of all time. It's not his mobility or arm strength. He just sees the open receiver before he snaps the ball. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Pichula said:

Ah yes, it’s the receiver. Wilson is well past the line of scrimmage there, not sure what 40 yard gain you’re talking about 

No, he's not.  lol  The LOS was the 30, before he gets to the 30, Carter is wide open without a defender near him from 30 yards.  He was receiver, finding space during a scramble drill.  Zach tucked it and try to take on a LB'er.  It's poor decision making.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Oh no, you see a snap pop up in the air and it a bad snap, not that Zack muffed it, you see a play where not 1, not 2, but 3 receivers are open  and nobody is even close to Zack and he doesn't  throw  it but it's because he doesn't  have enough time to find anyone because one pass rusher got through even though  he didn't  even beat the initial block. No, you don't  apologize  for him at all. 

None of this is accurate 

2 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

No, he's not.  lol  The LOS was the 30, before he gets to the 30, Carter is wide open without a defender near him from 30 yards.  He was receiver, finding space during a scramble drill.  Zach tucked it and try to take on a LB'er.  It's poor decision making.

My bad, thought the line was the 25, I see it. Conceded. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

You mean you didn't  write that it was a bad snap or Zack didn't have time to make a read because of the rush? Was that your alter ego just posting?

Dude again, we aren’t discussing Wilson’s ability to catch a snap. The fact is the snap changed the dynamic of the play, it probably forced a scramble to the left. My point about the snap is that you can’t use that play as an example to evaluate Lefleur because it’s a broken play, 

For the tenth time, there is an order to progressions so if #3 is open at the snap across the field there is nothing the QB can do until he gets to the read.

35 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

He had time to see him. This was far from a jail break.  You make it sound like the rush came unblocked. Yeah  the defender beat the OL but not right away. I don care if Cole is the fifth read, he was open out of the gate. He has to make that throw. 

Cole has his head down. He’s either a decoy or he misread the coverage. 

These are the problems that should be expected.

He's playing very tight right now, without question.   It's super clear that's what's going on....

He's essentially gun shy - and hasn't been able to get into a rhythm, which hopefully will free up his mind.

Rookie of the week: Oh he sucks because he's just playing hero ball, he needs to take the short stuff....

Last week: Oh he sucks because he took the check down - when he should have gone deep.  It's comical at this point.

Bottom line - things like these two shouldn't be concerns for Jet fans.  We know he can make those throws and as they stated we know he has made those throws consistently in college.  He didn't get worse, he just dealing with a spinning head right and a nervous trigger finger.

It's not good, but we should expect him to eventually pull himself out of this.  Just needs some positive momentum.

On this team, honestly, ZW is the least of my concerns.  I am literally more concerned with EVERY other position on the field.  Maybe LG right now feels a bit safer...other than that, I have little faith in the future of any other position.  

11 minutes ago, Pichula said:

Dude again, we aren’t discussing Wilson’s ability to catch a snap. The fact is the snap changed the dynamic of the play, it probably forced a scramble to the left. My point about the snap is that you can’t use that play as an example to evaluate Lefleur because it’s a broken play, 

For the tenth time, there is an order to progressions so if #3 is open at the snap across the field there is nothing the QB can do until he gets to the read.

You know I really didn't  want to make this point because I don't  like to preach but you apparently  don't  understand what the QB is supposed to be reading. It is the QB's job to know where every player is on the field every play. That is why it is such a hard job. He has to know Cole is going to run up the seam on that play. As far as his reads, they are not reading the receivers. The QB doesn't look at receiver A, B, and C, he is reading where the defenders are on the field and that tells him where to go with the ball. He should have been able to make a read that told him that area in the field was open and Cole was supposed to be there. 

23 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Cole has his head down. He’s either a decoy or he misread the coverage. 

He looked back once he crossed the 50 but you have a point, he could have been running a clear out for Davis I believe who was running a down and in. Davis was open for a millisecond only because Zack drew the entire D to his side of the field.  None the less Zack should have seen the guy who was covering Cole ran to the sideline to cover nobody leaving Cole wide open. Cole also should have seen this.