Steve Young on Wilson’s struggles

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Zach sucks because LaFleur, Zach sucks because Douglas, Zach sucks because the line sucks, Zach sucks because Knapp died. Reality check folks-Zach sucks because he sucks. Sent from my iPhone usin

Man, everyone just needs to chill out. Its been 5 games. Last week vs Tennessee Wilson looked like the next Mahomes and everyone penciled in a victory vs Atlanta  Guy had an off game and dir

Without watching the video yet, the loss of Gregg Knapp was huge. He was the passing game coordinator and the senior man on the offensive staff. He was the guy for LaFluer to lean on, more than Wilson

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Daddy Wang Doodle said:

The most Jets thing ever would be to have a talented, promising young qb who never reached his potential because his coach died in a bicycling accident.

Larry David couldn't even make that sh*t up

Life happens. I’m pretty confident Saleh will bring in an experienced coach next offseason. With or without Lefluer. 

• Upvote 4

Ahh, yes, The Legend of Gregg Knapp and all the rookie QBs he's developed. It's a miracle any QB in the league has succeeded without him to coach them as rookies. 

To be clear, he certainly would have helped, but people have latched on to this narrative that Knapp would have FIXED EVERYTHING. The problem isn't simply that Zach doesn't "get it" or "is bad".

There's systemic problems here from the blocking to play design and... hold onto your butts.. very similar problems to what Knapp had in each of his stops as an offensive coordinator.

There's also the issue that apparently Knapp was the only experienced and competent person on the offensive coaching staff. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
Did you even listen to it??

I didn’t, and I don’t plan to because it’s exactly the same as Chris Johnson listening to Peyton Manning to hire Gase. Football players past and present have biases just the same as anyone else. Steve Young only gives any flying **** about Zach Wilson because he came from BYU and he’s supporting a fellow alumni. Otherwise Steve Young wouldn’t have a clue about him.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
2 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

I didn’t, and I don’t plan to because it’s exactly the same as Chris Johnson listening to Peyton Manning to hire Gase. Football players past and present have biases just the same as anyone else. Steve Young only gives any flying **** about Zach Wilson because he came from BYU and he’s supporting a fellow alumni. Otherwise Steve Young wouldn’t have a clue about him.

Yeah, this has nothing to do with what he was talking about. But thanks. 

• Upvote 1
Just an fyi, it's still kinda early. The " Learning Curve " for an NFL QB can be pretty steep.  

Correct, for a QB with pedigree and a long tenure of success at the college level, it’s a steep learning curve that many never overcome. For a kid who sucked his entire college career until his final season where he finally racked up a decent season against some of the worst college competition imaginable the learning curve is not steep it’s vertical, and it requires someone extremely special both physically and mentally to overcome. Little Zachy ain’t that special.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3
28 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Eh..

Not sure I buy this argument.   Would ZW be lighting it up if Knapp were here?  I don't buy it.

22 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Ahh, yes, The Legend of Gregg Knapp and all the rookie QBs he's developed. It's a miracle any QB in the league has succeeded without him to coach them as rookies. 

To be clear, he certainly would have helped, but people have latched on to this narrative that Knapp would have FIXED EVERYTHING. The problem isn't simply that Zach doesn't "get it" or "is bad".

There's systemic problems here from the blocking to play design and... hold onto your butts.. very similar problems to what Knapp had in each of his stops as an offensive coordinator.

There's also the issue that apparently Knapp was the only experienced and competent person on the offensive coaching staff. 

Guys I think this is more on the emotional side then anything.  Tragedy can **** you up in the head to the point of not being able to perform up to standards.  Not saying I’m all in on this theory just saying I can see this being an issue.

12 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Literally nobody is saying that. But it’s huge when you take that away that much experience 2 weeks before training camp.

The problem is Zach’s mechanics, something exactly what Knapp would be working on. Has nothing to do with the system he’s in or blocking. It’s like what Pep Hamilton was to Herbert. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 2
3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Guys I think this is more on the emotional side then anything.  Tragedy can **** you up in the head to the point of not being able to perform up to standards.  Not saying I’m all in on this theory just saying I can see this being an issue.

Oh ok so Zach Wilson is depressed...that's the theory?

• Haha 2
18 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Zach Wilson has been quarterbacking since he was 5 years old, in elite leagues, making hundreds of throws and getting thousands of reps and I don't think another voice in the room shouting "plant your feet, turn your shoulders to the right, and throw the ball above the guys ankles!" would have made a difference.

What matters is where we go from here.  And I don't know what that means.  The WR's are all healthy.  The RB dwarves are all healthy.  Soon we'll get Becton back and then the OL is going to suck again.  It feels like Tennessee was the mountaintop and it's all Browning Nagle post-Atlanta from here.

SAR I

Zach Nagle .... I kinda dig it, except Nagle was a second rounder, not the second pick in the draft. 

17 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Zach Wilson has been quarterbacking since he was 5 years old, in elite leagues, making hundreds of throws and getting thousands of reps and I don't think another voice in the room shouting "plant your feet, turn your shoulders to the right, and throw the ball above the guys ankles!" would have made a difference.

What matters is where we go from here.  And I don't know what that means.  The WR's are all healthy.  The RB dwarves are all healthy.  Soon we'll get Becton back and then the OL is going to suck again.  It feels like Tennessee was the mountaintop and it's all Browning Nagle post-Atlanta from here.

SAR I

I'm not sure but i think he had a little bigger role than the Josh McCown BFF role. I think he was actually the passing game coordinator and was going to be instrumental in installing the passing game. Also, I believe he was the senor person on the staff and was suppose to help Baby LaFleur do his job at a somewhat respectable level I guess? Honestly I really don't know and starting to really not care. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
18 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Hindsight is a bitch. If Zack would’ve had the same game in London like he had a game prior, we wouldn’t be reading this thread

Yep. Everything he does this year, and probably next, will be over-reacted to. In fact, someone is going to be over sensitive that I mentioned him playing for us next year.

• Haha 2
12 minutes ago, undertow said:

Oh ok so Zach Wilson is depressed...that's the theory?

Man just be human and look inside these guys are the same as you and me man tragedy sucks.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Confused 1
  • Post of the Week 1
11 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I hear ya and look, I certainly don't think it helped...I also think it's clear the only reason Saleh trusted LaFleur in the role was because he had Knapp as his right hand..

But with that said, Zach is struggling and it's beyond one issue.  I just can't imagine any single person could have made any substantial impact. I wish it were that simple.

Zach's going to be good but there's nothing that's going to get him there other than hard work and a lot of reps.    Experience is what ZW needs more than anything else.....Knapp wouldn't have solved that problem.

• Confused 1
1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

I hear ya and look, I certainly don't think it helped...I also think it's clear the only reason Saleh trusted LaFleur in the role was because he had Knapp as his right hand..

But with that said, Zach is struggling and it's beyond one issue.  I just can't imagine any single person could have made any substantial impact. I wish it were that simple.

Zach's going to be good but there's nothing that's going to get him there other than hard work and a lot of reps.    Experience is what ZW needs more than anything else.....Knapp wouldn't have solved that problem.

My point is if your head isn’t right it takes a hell of a lot longer to solve all problems associated with whatever is going on possibly.

• Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Did you even listen to it??

Who TF is Steve young to be revered as this omniscient QB guru with all things football? 

He has an opinion and has played in the pioneering version of this WC offense 30 years ago with different athletes and rules in play. He’s now nothing more than another talking head for ESPN now and should be taken as such.

He was considered a bust himself in Tampa until he was forced to sit, watch, and learn behind #16 Cool Joe CaM(el)ontana. 

I appreciate Jets football talk, but let’s stop with the ball washing of a lefty Mormon as if his words were law and the death of a QB coach as the determining factor as to why this team is poor in quality. 

The loss of Knapp is a shame, but like in life, you QUIT making excuses and move on. They brought in Crap Cavanaugh, and could have brought in plenty of other “experienced” coaches for the QB but decided otherwise and didn’t, so this is what they get. Jets have no one to blame for themselves, so cut the sad violins with the loss of Knapp; his death is a shame but there’s a reason je was never a successful OC (SF, Atlx2, Oak, Sea, Den) or even a HC in the NFL.