Steve Young on Wilson’s struggles

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Zach sucks because LaFleur, Zach sucks because Douglas, Zach sucks because the line sucks, Zach sucks because Knapp died. Reality check folks-Zach sucks because he sucks. Sent from my iPhone usin

Man, everyone just needs to chill out. Its been 5 games. Last week vs Tennessee Wilson looked like the next Mahomes and everyone penciled in a victory vs Atlanta  Guy had an off game and dir

Without watching the video yet, the loss of Gregg Knapp was huge. He was the passing game coordinator and the senior man on the offensive staff. He was the guy for LaFluer to lean on, more than Wilson

Posted Images

Giving knapp track record with Qbs and over 20 years of experience  . I think losing him was a Huge loss . Said this when he died.  Matt Cavanaugh was a definite downgrade

just gotta have to  let these young guys go through there growing pains. 

• Upvote 3
2 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

How so? In what way? 

Calling someone a "lefty" just makes you sound dumb and intolerant.  What, everyone who isn't a conservative should be derided?  All liberals and their policies are wrong?   You have the ability to sharpen your writing.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

Calling someone a "lefty" just makes you sound dumb and intolerant.  What, everyone who isn't a conservative should be derided?  All liberals and their policies are wrong?   You have the ability to sharpen your writing.

Left handed !!!!! STEVE YOUNG IS LWFT HANDED. 

wow- where I’m from Lefty (NYC) means Southpaw - a LEFt HANDED PERSON. 

coming across as dumb and intolerant is your “political interpretation” of a FOOTBALL conversation where politics never entered the conversation. Who the fuçk is talking about liberals? 

he’s a lefty QB like Esiason and Tua. 

politics? What a dumba$$ 🙄

• Thumb Down 1
10 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Where is there a reference to politics or me bashing a religion? You illiterate or just obtuse? 

Young is a Mormon. Fact. 
Young is left-handed. Fact. 

Are you so dense that your own narrative and “colors” are showing by how you interpret my post?

please refrain from replying to me. What a clown🙄

Steve Young. Lefty, yes. My mistake in the mid-interpretation. Mormon. Fact. But your inclusion of it is not necessary and reveals your problem with it. Would you say someone was a Lutheran quarterback? Jewish? Shaun Ellis abrasive a-hole. Fact.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

I didn’t, and I don’t plan to because it’s exactly the same as Chris Johnson listening to Peyton Manning to hire Gase. Football players past and present have biases just the same as anyone else. Steve Young only gives any flying **** about Zach Wilson because he came from BYU and he’s supporting a fellow alumni. Otherwise Steve Young wouldn’t have a clue about him.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Great post!  Couldn't agree more... and like sar1 says, they guy been playing ball since he was 5 so like not make excuses for SAM type mechanics, throws behind, below, etc.  if they sucked with SAM they suck with this guy...  BTW... What the hell is our HC doing to fix this?  Just saying... oh I know, give them time, the scheme is fine, the PC is fine, etc.  

• Confused 1

The Greg Knapp tragedy undoubtedly caused some rippling effects. It's rough losing a friend, even if you haven't known them that long. I'm not going to say that Coach Knapp's passing is an acceptable excuse for long term failures, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to say that it has affected the team in the short-term. They brought in a coach specifically to develop Zach Wilson and the coach tragically dies. Having Cavanaugh work with Wilson is different than Knapp working with Zach Wilson. 

It's possible for two things to be true at once. The Greg Knapp tragedy affected the team, AND the team needs to move forward, recover, and find a different way. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2
50 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Forget it.  This team and some of its fans are comfortable throwing away a year or three to see if a coach or QB has potential.

What would be your recommendation?

5 weeks?

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Zach Wilson has been quarterbacking since he was 5 years old, in elite leagues, making hundreds of throws and getting thousands of reps and I don't think another voice in the room shouting "plant your feet, turn your shoulders to the right, and throw the ball above the guys ankles!" would have made a difference.

What matters is where we go from here.  And I don't know what that means.  The WR's are all healthy.  The RB dwarves are all healthy.  Soon we'll get Becton back and then the OL is going to suck again.  It feels like Tennessee was the mountaintop and it's all Browning Nagle post-Atlanta from here.

SAR I

Reliably dumb

• Haha 1
51 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Andy Reid sat Patrick Mahomes on the bench for a year to clean up all the rookie sh*t that Zach Wilson is trying to clean up on the job. All I can say is that Saleh and LaFleur better not screw it up.

No he sat Mahomes because he had an incumbent MVP candidate at QB.  I’d bet your life savings that Mahomes would be starting if the other 2 QBs in KC were Mike White and James Morgan.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Like 1

With every bad pass Zach throws, the legend of Greg Knapp grows.

I think we’re already at the point where Knapp has surpassed Bill Walsh as far as guru-ishness goes since his tragic passing. Which is nothing short of amazing when you actually look at how mediocre his career was.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

With every bad pass Zach throws, the legend of Greg Knapp grows.

I think we’re already at the point where Knapp has surpassed Bill Walsh as far as guru-ishness goes since his tragic passing. Which is nothing short of amazing when you actually look at how mediocre his career was.

During his NFL career, Knapp coached quarterbacks to a combined 11 NFL Pro Bowls. He had five different 4,000-yard passers comprised of Steve Young (1998), Jeff Garcia (2000), Carson Palmer (2012), Peyton Manning (2013-14) and Matt Ryan (2018).

yup real mediocre 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1
23 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

What would be your recommendation?

5 weeks?

Less than three years.   Actually, if it looks like sh*t after a year, it will most likely look the same way after three.   It's the Jet way.

2 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Life happens. I’m pretty confident Saleh will bring in an experienced coach next offseason. With or without Lefluer. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Doug Pederson is Jets OC at some point.

• Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

During his NFL career, Knapp coached quarterbacks to a combined 11 NFL Pro Bowls. He had five different 4,000-yard passers comprised of Steve Young (1998), Jeff Garcia (2000), Carson Palmer (2012), Peyton Manning (2013-14) and Matt Ryan (2018).

yup real mediocre 

Pop quiz: WHICH of those QBs weren’t already 10 YEAR PROFESSIONAL VETERANS in the NFL when Knapp Finally elevated their game to the Joke known as the Pro Bowl? That’s right, Carson Palmer, Manning, and Ryan all SUCKED and we’re still developing by the time their careers did a 180 degree turn to stardom!!! Child please 🙄

His death was a shame, but he sucked as an OC and couldn’t develop Vick in his prime or hold a OC gig for more than 3 years and actually, you know, PRODUCE!

He wasn’t anything special as a coach and lamenting his loss as a material factor to Wilson’s regression is inaccurate IMO. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

My point is if your head isn’t right it takes a hell of a lot longer to solve all problems associated with whatever is going on possibly.

Is your point that Zach throws bad passes because he’s in mourning over a man he knew 3 months? Seriously?

What is his mental state when he throws good passes?

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
16 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I'm an idiot.  I thought you wer harkening back to some 70s political speak.   My error.  Apologies.

Yes. Yes, You are an idiot. 

I’ll leave it at that as I cool down.

I expect better from you. 

PS - and the 70’s term I can infer you’re alluding to is most likely one of Archie Bunker’s favorite accusations: a PINKO! Lol

• Thumb Down 2
2 hours ago, slats said:

Without watching the video yet, the loss of Gregg Knapp was huge. He was the passing game coordinator and the senior man on the offensive staff. He was the guy for LaFluer to lean on, more than Wilson. His loss created a vacuum, one that still exists. 

I thought they signed Matt Cavanaugh, who has 29 years of experience and played QB in the NFL. That should really help to fill the voice left by Knapp.

18 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

I thought they signed Matt Cavanaugh, who has 29 years of experience and played QB in the NFL. That should really help to fill the voice left by Knapp.

Except he is straight up trash as an offensive coach at the pro level.

Exhibit A: Mark Sanchez 

Exhibit B: Redskins OC tenure 

• Upvote 1

Steve Young is a boob.  And you cant take anything serious he says about Zach.  He's wayyyyy over the top because of BYU, it's ridiculous. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Zach sucks because LaFleur, Zach sucks because Douglas, Zach sucks because the line sucks, Zach sucks because Knapp died.

Reality check folks-Zach sucks because he sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I remember preseason when the narrative was "at least Zach doesnt have an excuse.  He's surrounded by talent and coaching.  This team committed to developing talent around Wilson" - and now?  Lets find every reason other than Zach Wilson as to why he's the worst QB in the NFL. 

• Haha 2
37 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

yup real mediocre 

Wow. Sounds like we had a combination of Bill Walsh AND Andy Reid.

Why wasn’t  a guy with such illustrious credentials hired to a position higher than passing coordinator for the NYJ? Wasn’t anyone paying attention?

• Upvote 1
41 minutes ago, legler82 said:

No he sat Mahomes because he had an incumbent MVP candidate at QB.  I’d bet your life savings that Mahomes would be starting if the other 2 QBs in KC were Mike White and James Morgan.

If only there was a way to ensure that the other two quarterbacks on your roster aren’t Mike White and James Morgan

• Haha 3
3 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Steve Young is boob.  And you cant take anything serious he says about Zach.  He's wayyyyy over the top because of BYU, it's ridiculous. 

He’s basically adopted the Wilson family. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If only there was a way to ensure that the other two quarterbacks on your roster aren’t Mike White and James Morgan

Free will doesn't exist. Nothing means anything. Everything is predestined. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Interesting to see all the experts and gurus of JN chime in on how a QB coach/passing game coordinator would have zero impact on the development of a young QB. Really high level analysis here.

lol - I remember when I found out Gregg Knapp was hired, I legit didnt know he was on staff.  It gave me relief because I was worried they didnt have anyone in the building who has ever developed a QB.  That said, I dont think if Greg Knapp was here, that Zach suddenly wouldnt be bouncing balls of the ground to RB's in the flat or throwing balls at the head of his Tackle. 

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

lol - I remember when I found out Gregg Knapp was hired, I legit didnt know he was on staff.  It gave me relief because I was worried they didnt have anyone in the building who has ever developed a QB.  That said, I dont think if Greg Knapp was here, that Zach suddenly wouldnt be bouncing balls of the ground to RB's in the flat or throwing balls at the head of his Tackle. 

No one is as creative as a Jet fan trying to convince himself that our new shiny QB is "The One."

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Jetluv58 said:

Steve Young. Lefty, yes. My mistake in the mid-interpretation. Mormon. Fact. But your inclusion of it is not necessary and reveals your problem with it. Would you say someone was a Lutheran quarterback? Jewish? Shaun Ellis abrasive a-hole. Fact.

yes, you dumb$Hit, there have been personal traits/cultural references in the nicknames of players since FOREVER!!

So the nicknames 

The Polish Rifle

Red Rifle

The Hefty Lefty

Nigerian Nightmare

indicate people had a problem with those players by adding their distinguishing feature into a nickname?

U r so stupid and I hope you realize your ignorance and correct it accordingly. No wonder dialogue is dead in this rotting society. 🙄

im done now. Lol. It’s out of my system. Apologies to the rest. Lol. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

When Young says he was comfortable with the plan they had in place with Knapp and is uncomfortable now, I suspect he knows that the two coaches being compared are drastically different in how they go about their business. 

Knapp was going to be an extension of the 49er way and, without Knapp, Wilson is being coached the Jets way by a dude who is entirely unqualified and the family is losing their sh*t. 

• Upvote 3