Steve Young on Wilson’s struggles

11 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Why don’t the Jets throw half a mil at the Ex BYU QB who coaches Zach up every summer in his QB camp?

What do we have to lose? It would be like if we brought in Jordan Palmer to baby sit Sam 3 years ago. Probably wouldn’t change anything but it wouldn’t hurt anything either…

John Beck likely makes way more that $500K doing what he does.  He tutors multiple top NFL QBs and probably works about 20% of the hours of what an NFL QB coach does.

53 minutes ago, BCJet said:

John Beck likely makes way more that $500K doing what he does.  He tutors multiple top NFL QBs and probably works about 20% of the hours of what an NFL QB coach does.

Not during the NFL season though…. What would be the harm in seeing if they could work something out, at least for this year?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

10 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Lighting it up or completing passes 5 yards or less / Someone needs to get a hold of this kid and calm him the **** down and there is no other way to look at this. I understand he wants to be a gun slinger but you need to learn to handle a gun before you start shooting up the joint. They should have pushed this kid to start slow and it looks to me the kid is dictating to LaFleur rather than LaFleur dictating to him. Zach needs a dose of some Bill Parcells and I think you would see changes happen pretty quickly that or ride the bench for 5 or 6 games. Remember what happened to Vinny Testaverde's game once he came to the Jets under Parcells The biggest Int machine in the NFL had the best year of his career with single digit Ints. in 98

I mostly agree.

I do think this he's in his own head, and I do think throwing the whole playbook at him rather than ease him into it is causing some of this..

But when all's said and done - We're still talking about five weeks on an awful roster (the first three he was under constant pressure).  He just needs time, not sure anything major he a coach can do other than play more football. Unfortunately they only get 17 games a year.

Could he have been handled better, I think so - but when all's said and done it's 5 games.   We know he can do these things, it really is just a matter of time for him to settle in....

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I don't think Young is saying that. 

You make gross leaps in logic. Simply put, all he's saying is that Zach wouldn't look lost and uncoached if Knapp were still alive - given Knapps expertise, experience and Young's history with him, I don't think it's all that far-fetched.

So, we agree on what Steve Young was saying, just you seem to be able to know better than me as to the degree of his concern.

The only point I'm making, regardless of degree, is that I don't buy it.  Zach's problems aren't simple ones, I don't believe there's a whole lot a coach could do for him.  The biggest cure for him is he just needs more reps, he needs to play more football, the game needs to slow down for him.

That will happen, it's just going to take time - just like we all should have expected.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I mostly agree.

I do think this he's in his own head, and I do think throwing the whole playbook at him rather than ease him into it is causing some of this..

But when all's said and done - We're still talking about five weeks on an awful roster (the first three he was under constant pressure).  He just needs time, not sure anything major he a coach can do other than play more football. Unfortunately they only get 17 games a year.

Could he have been handled better, I think so - but when all's said and done it's 5 games.   We know he can do these things, it really is just a matter of time for him to settle in....

Well we have to keep in mind and can't lose sight of the fact there are a lot of young players on this roster and vets as well learning a new system. Would have been nice if Zach came into a system like Herbert and Mahomes benefited from but he didn't so everyone is learning and that can make things very difficult for a young QB thats not even mentioning he's dealing with a rookie OC Rookie HC and suffered through the loss of Knapp.

FWIW this is not an awful roster , this is a young roster learning their way we will have the answer as to whom is awful the second half of the season.

What I feel should have been a priority was getting Zach a real number 1 WR. It seems at this point everyone should know exactly what Corey Davis is, he's not terrible but he's certainly not a WR1 by any stretch not even close. I think priority 1 is getting a vet WR capable of being that guy next year to help Zach when he wants to throw up that contested ball and trust his WR to make a play or at the very least keep the defender from making one in some cases, Davis is not that guy either. So IMHO Zach does not have that trust worthy target other QB's benefit from. We all see what Diggs did for Allen and what those great receivers in LA do for Herbert and we have to STOP short changing our QB's and expect them to be the guy who makes everything click. Next years draft and FA period NEEDS to focus on skill players , The OL is starting to gel so if we add one in rounds 2 or 3 next year we will still have plenty of day 1 day 2 picks to address the skill players.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

So, we agree on what Steve Young was saying, just you seem to be able to know better than me as to the degree of his concern.

The only point I'm making, regardless of degree, is that I don't buy it.  Zach's problems aren't simple ones, I don't believe there's a whole lot a coach could do for him.  The biggest cure for him is he just needs more reps, he needs to play more football, the game needs to slow down for him.

That will happen, it's just going to take time - just like we all should have expected.

I agree with this based on Zach's past . He has a ton of talent but he was a slow learner in college and it paid off for him and I think we may be looking at the same scenario in the pro's. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Boy oh boy, it’s not even subtle when you try to walk back your comments and shift the discussion to a new center.

Cool.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Young sucked for years.  Sat on the bench behind a HOF QB and the greatest offensive HC in modern NFL history. 

Your post really struck a chord with me.  (C#m9 for those following at home.)   What offensive wizard/coach in today's NFL would you/we put with Zack to have a similar effect on his game?  

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Boy oh boy, it’s not even subtle when you try to walk back your comments and shift the discussion to a new center.

Cool.

Why would I walk back a statement?  To make you happy?

Lighting it up vs. "not looking lost" are degrees of the same statement  - if you are looking to simply belittle me I say good for you...I honestly have no problem with that.  but it doesn't change anything.  (To be clear - I don't believe he looks lost though, I think he's a lot closer than many of you realize)

And certainly wouldn't change my opinion that any one single coach would be making a major difference for ZW right now - would he look like a different player if Knapp were here?  I just don't believe he would.

I feel strongly that his issues are just repetition and time related.  He needs to just play and with hard work they'll work themselves out.  

14 hours ago, JiFapono said:

lol - I remember when I found out Gregg Knapp was hired, I legit didnt know he was on staff.  It gave me relief because I was worried they didnt have anyone in the building who has ever developed a QB.  That said, I dont think if Greg Knapp was here, that Zach suddenly wouldnt be bouncing balls of the ground to RB's in the flat or throwing balls at the head of his Tackle. 

Certainly not the be all end all but it's certainly a contributing factor.

Like you said -- he was the only guy in the building who had ever done this before and was part of the reason Young and BYU contingent endorsed this as a good landing spot.

The timing of it was tough.

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Why would I walk back a statement?  To make you happy?

Uhh, you do it all the time. I don’t know why. I can’t even confirm you realize you do it. My thinking is you’re so flaky you think what you’re doing is smart, when it’s really just something people do when the need to reframe how they’re pretending to know something they don’t.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Your post really struck a chord with me.  (C#m9 for those following at home.)   What offensive wizard/coach in today's NFL would you/we put with Zack to have a similar effect on his game?  

Longshot, but if the Colts tank this season, would they get rid of Frank Reich? 

• Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Wow, that's a great thought/recommendation.   Right now, I'd give you 60/40 that they keep Reich.   But if Reich is fired, and wants our OC gig?   I'd jump at the chance.

I agree  he probably goes nowhere. I can’t think of anybody better in the league than Reich to develope Zack.

• Upvote 1

On 10/12/2021 at 9:57 PM, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Really? You don’t say!?

Being incarcerated, suspended by the league, and out of pro football for the ‘08 and ‘09 seasons due to dog fighting had NOTHING to do and had no ill effect on Vick’s game with him returning to the league at age 29? No, OF COURSE! It was the fact that Knapp wasn’t coaching Vick anymore as to why Vick never regained his former glory??

Please stop wasting BOTH our time with your petulant and misguided adulation of a shïtty unsuccessful coach.

You’re a joke who can’t hold a debate or make one valid point and you latche on to weak examples to try and maintain your argument. Knapp was $hit as an OC. I do not believe, foolishly as you do, that he had a material effect on ANY of those QBs you mentioned and their respective success in the league. Done. And done with you. 

Let's do this without personal attacks. If you are done with the debate, just use the ignore option in the USER CP.

On 10/12/2021 at 9:42 PM, Maynard13 said:

I met this obnoxious chic who was a service rep and every other word out her mouth was basically.  I thus responded, so basically you're telling me your entire vocabulary and thought process basically centers around the word basically.  Generally? So sometimes? Most of the time? No. All the time.  Zach is stuck with a guy whose better euipped with leading Omega Theta Pi than the OC of the NY Jets.  JD and Saleh better wake up and fast. Either LaFleuer has a remarkable epiphany and figures this all out or he can star in Animal House 2. If Zach continues in this downward spiral and doesn't show signs of progress, LaFleur will be held responsible for taking them all down.  While the defense has not been 'all that', it has adapted in the 2nd half of each game and played better, in each game. Credit that to Saleh. The offense has played one good half in 5 games.  The offense, generally speaking, has not adapted AT ALL.  Generally.    

So basically, the offensive coaching hasn’t been up to par?

Asking for a friend, who basically works as a phone rep. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1