Jets WR Drop Percentage

Just now, Jet2020 said:

Yeah wouldn’t say they all are the WRs fault. Our QB needs to learn basic ball placement skills. 

I like Zach, and I am still happy that he is the QB. He needs to put the ball where the receiver can catch it, and not just where the receiver can get a hand on the ball. I expect NFL receivers to make the tough catch, but I also expect an NFL QB to throw catchable passes. I've seen enough completed passes this year where the receiver has to fall down to catch it instead of in stride. 

I think that he'll be ok when he settles in. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, doitny said:

90% of this is on Wilson.

just curious what they consider a dropped pass? 

a ball thrown at Carter feet where he get a finger on it is a drop pass?

or a ball thrown behind Davis that he turns all crooked and gets one hand on it a dropped pass?

How do you know it’s on Wilson when you don’t know how they are calculating the stat?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't know who this guy is, but his stat seems like bullsh*t.  According to pro football reference the team has 9 drops total.  4 for Davis, 2 each for Carter and Johnson and 1 for Crowder.  NBC sports and the Washington Ppst have us at 7.  Considering the ball placement, I'd say neither WIlson or the receivers have much of a complaint.  The coaches and fans, however....

Even RichyC commented to the Twitter thread. He seems just as frustrated as us fans and advocates the same argument that Saleh isn’t using all his weapons on offense, lol:

lW31qU_D_x96.jpeg

Saleh says Elijah Moore's PT was limited because the offense didn't have that many plays. This reasoning drives me nuts. Maybe they'd have more plays if they utilized their top playmakers. #Jets

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't know who this guy is, but his stat seems like bullsh*t.  According to pro football reference the team has 9 drops total.  4 for Davis, 2 each for Carter and Johnson and 1 for Crowder.  Considering the ball placement, I'd say neither WIlson or the receivers have much of a complaint.  The coaches and fans, however....

so what exactly isn't BS to you right now.

3 hours ago, Jet2020 said:

Yeah wouldn’t say they all are the WRs fault. Our QB needs to learn basic ball placement skills. 

I agree that Wilson is struggling with accuracy, but if these numbers are accurate, this isn't the thread to complain about the QB, really.  Drops are fully a WR statistic, and as we all know, it takes a really bad play for a WR to be credited with a drop.  They don't get one just because we fans think the WR dropped the pass.  The statisticians tend to be very conservative with that metric.  

The only way you can blame the QB for this metric is an instance like Jerricho Cotchery, where Mark Sanchez was so bad that Cotchery somehow went from as sure-handed a possession receiver as they come to a guy with a bad case of the dropsies.  My theory:  Sanchez was so inaccurate that the few times he was on target with his throws, Cotchery dropped his passes out of surprise.  

I love that now that Wilson  has missed a couple of layups the last two games we are going to pretend like drops haven’t been a major issue and a killer for this team for most of the season. Let me remind you that even last week we went 3 and out because crowder dropped an easy catch on 3rd and 2. Jets didn’t see the ball for the entire quarter after that. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Pichula said:

I love that now that Wilson  has missed a couple of layups the last two games we are going to pretend like drops haven’t been a major issue and a killer for this team for most of the season. Let me remind you that even last week we went 3 and out because crowder dropped an easy catch on 3rd and 2. Jets didn’t see the ball for the entire quarter after that. 

The first Q pass to the sideline where he bobble it and fell out of bounds causing us to go 3 and out then not see they ball again 

Then we bitch that the Jets dont score in the 1st.

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't know who this guy is, but his stat seems like bullsh*t.  According to pro football reference the team has 9 drops total.  4 for Davis, 2 each for Carter and Johnson and 1 for Crowder.  Considering the ball placement, I'd say neither WIlson or the receivers have much of a complaint.  The coaches and fans, however....

Seems like Davis had at least 4 drops in the NE game and about the same in the Denver game.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Pichula said:

If it hits you in the hands catch it

First pass on Sunday was a bit behind Davis, but he clearly got both hands to the ball. A #1 WR has to make that catch.

We seem to criticize QBs for needing good OL, good run game, weaponz galore to be good ... but are fine with saying the WRs need well placed passes to be good. I never quite got this. Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker were the main reasons why Fitz had a lot of his successes, they adjusted to the wobbly throws and made the difficult catches.

We need some of our guys to step up and help out the QB, not the other way around right now.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Everything sucks.  It's all symptomatic.  Everything needs to be better.  There really isnt one thing you can look at on offense and say, at least that's working well.  Nothing is good.

Really? Catching 75% of the passes thrown to you, albeit small sample size seems to be working pretty well. 

705BEA80-ACB7-4FD1-A041-6E0A01C05BA3.gif