Jets WR Drop Percentage

14 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I like Zach, and I am still happy that he is the QB. He needs to put the ball where the receiver can catch it, and not just where the receiver can get a hand on the ball. I expect NFL receivers to make the tough catch, but I also expect an NFL QB to throw catchable passes. I've seen enough completed passes this year where the receiver has to fall down to catch it instead of in stride. 

I think that he'll be ok when he settles in. 

A dropped pass is a routine catch, not where they just get their hands on it. Zach doesn't need his receivers to be extraordinary, just do their job. Zach needs to improve certain things, but 15 dropped passes is quite a bit. That's potentially 15 stalled drives because they failed to do their job.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Its not the amount of drops that's the issue for me its the fact 3 drops led directly to Int's tipped into defenders hands and most of the drops are drive stoppers. You cant continuously drop third down throws. When it comes to who is right and wrong on drops it all depends on how a drop is observed. IMHO if the ball hits both hands in any way the ball should be caught. great receivers catch balls in traffic, ball behind them, and contested balls our WR's do absolutely none of this . I think Davis has 6 arguably 7 drops all depends on what you constitute as a drop. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Its not the amount of drops that's the issue for me its the fact 3 drops led directly to Int's tipped into defenders hands and most of the drops are drive stoppers. You cant continuously drop third down throws. When it comes to who is right and wrong on drops it all depends on how a drop is observed. IMHO if the ball hits both hands in any way the ball should be caught. great receivers catch balls in traffic, ball behind them, and contested balls our WR's do absolutely none of this . I think Davis has 6 arguably 7 drops all depends on what you constitute as a drop. 

Oh sure.  Absolutely.   I'm not denying it has been an issue.  I am just saying that the guys stats seem flakey.  I think Wilson has been worse than the receivers, but both have been problems.  When things are going good players pick each other up.  Right not we are witnessing the opposite.  They are dragging each other down.  I am hopeful that with a slight improvement in one or the other and we will see everyone get better.  That sh*t is contagious.

I think this is analogous to the Wilson "I'm just gonna rip it" article.  We have seen with Mims that this sh*t can be complicated.  People (I question their comprehension skills) think that Wilson is saying FU to LaFleur with that, but he is saying he has to learn it and just do it instead of thinking about it.  I think the same is true of the receivers.  They have to know the route, run it.  Once they aren't thinking so much about the route they will probably be more likely to catch the damn ball.. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

How does this compare to the rest of the league? I know we've had some drops, but all WR's have drops and our offense isn't the only one effected by drops.

According to STATS they are in four-way a tie for 7th with 7.  The Steelers are worst with 13.  NBC Sports seems identical.  So does the Washington Post  Not sure where this guy gets his numbes or if the Steelers would have 40 or 4 by his count. 

7 hours ago, jamesr said:

First pass on Sunday was a bit behind Davis, but he clearly got both hands to the ball. A #1 WR has to make that catch.

We seem to criticize QBs for needing good OL, good run game, weaponz galore to be good ... but are fine with saying the WRs need well placed passes to be good. I never quite got this. Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker were the main reasons why Fitz had a lot of his successes, they adjusted to the wobbly throws and made the difficult catches.

We need some of our guys to step up and help out the QB, not the other way around right now.

Of course.  So many of ZW's "bad throws" are "good catches" (not great) never to be talked about again if the receiver comes down with it.

Just like the one you stated from CD - It was absolutely behind him, but it's a catch every NFL should make, let alone a #1.  If he catches that it's a good completion and a 1st down.

I can count 3 maybe 4 completions Ryan threw on Sunday that always seem to go incomplete by Jet WR's..no one said they were bad throws, they were just good catches.  

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

According to STATS they are in four-way a tie for 7th with 7.  The Steelers are worst with 13.  NBC Sports seems identical.  So does the Washington Post  Not sure where this guy gets his numbes or if the Steelers would have 40 or 4 by his count. 

Oh, I think the 15 drops is being incredibly generous to the Jet WR's....

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Of course.  So many of ZW's "bad throws" are "good catches" (not great) never to be talked about again if the receiver comes down with it.

Just like the one you stated from CD - It was absolutely behind him, but it's a catch every NFL should make, let alone a #1.  If he catches that it's a good completion and a 1st down.

I can count 3 maybe 4 completions Ryan threw on Sunday that always seem to go incomplete by Jet WR's..no one said they were bad throws, they were just good catches.  

That's what xcmp% is all about. 

Kyler Murray has a cmp% of 75% with a xcmp% of 66%, his receivers are just that good.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I like Zach, and I am still happy that he is the QB. He needs to put the ball where the receiver can catch it, and not just where the receiver can get a hand on the ball. I expect NFL receivers to make the tough catch, but I also expect an NFL QB to throw catchable passes. I've seen enough completed passes this year where the receiver has to fall down to catch it instead of in stride. 

I think that he'll be ok when he settles in. 

If he settles in. He throws slants a lot like Mark Sanchez did...behind the WR. Where he used to be rather than where he will be. Not  real happy with Wilson so far. Davis has to prove he is worth the money by catching EVERYTHING thrown his way.

22 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah placing the ball in the hands of a wr receiver is bad.

It' like some of you guys do not even watch the games.

Precisely. Watch the game, not these stats. His ball placement has been horrible at best. Take a look at our YAC. We don’t have a single player inside the top 100 players when it comes to YAC. 

Like you said, watch the game. Zach has some ways to go before he becomes a half decent QB. 

11 hours ago, The Crusher said:

To be fair hitting a lineman in the back of the neck and receivers in the ankles not as easy as it looks pal. 

That’s my point. How do you miss a screen? How do you miss a 320 pound OL? Hasn’t been hitting the WRs in stride. They always have to adjust to the point where they get unbalanced and start dropping. You’ve gotta hit majority of those passes when they are barely beyond the LoS. 

20 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I agree that Wilson is struggling with accuracy, but if these numbers are accurate, this isn't the thread to complain about the QB, really.  Drops are fully a WR statistic, and as we all know, it takes a really bad play for a WR to be credited with a drop.  They don't get one just because we fans think the WR dropped the pass.  The statisticians tend to be very conservative with that metric.  

Ball placement can easily cause dropped passes. Making a sudden stop, twisting back and reaching to grab a pass thrown behind a receiver is a tough catch but if the receiver gets a good hand to it, it’s a dropped pass. I stand by what I said. Ball placement makes an enormous difference. 

20 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The only way you can blame the QB for this metric is an instance like Jerricho Cotchery, where Mark Sanchez was so bad that Cotchery somehow went from as sure-handed a possession receiver as they come to a guy with a bad case of the dropsies.  My theory:  Sanchez was so inaccurate that the few times he was on target with his throws, Cotchery dropped his passes out of surprise.  

Crotchety became dropsies cuz Sanchez was essentially the same as Wilson. Bad ball placement, lucky for a couple of years with a bunch of dropped into, and when that luck ran out, so did the Jets hopes of ever reaching the playoffs. Here we are 10 years later. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

That’s my point. How do you miss a screen? How do you miss a 320 pound OL? Hasn’t been hitting the WRs in stride. They always have to adjust to the point where they get unbalanced and start dropping. You’ve gotta hit majority of those passes when they are barely beyond the LoS. 

This is simply a false narrative being driven by folks on the anti zach bandwagon

Yes, he's missed some throws for sure, no doubt.  But he's also hit plenty of good ones - hit people in stride.  Unless his ball is thrown PERFECTLY it gets dropped.  

Many of those throws off target are receivers running the wrong routes...

Again, he hasn't been great and downright bad at times, but some of you are making it sounds like everything he throws is just terrible.  That's simply not the case.  He's had some really nice moments too.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is simply a false narrative being driven by folks on the anti zach bandwagon

Yes, he's missed some throws for sure, no doubt.  But he's also hit plenty of good ones - hit people in stride.  Unless his ball is thrown PERFECTLY it gets dropped.  

We don’t have Deandre Hopkins, I’ll give you that. We also don’t have WRs known to have a drop issues. 

Many of those throws off target are receivers running the wrong routes...

Wrong routes often result in interceptions, which Wilson has plenty to show for. Other than that, blaming all off target throws on WRs is load of you know what. He’s hit a lot of throws. So did Davis Mills. Doesn’t mean those 5-6 plays are enough to not criticize the easy “boring” throws. 

Again, he hasn't been great and downright bad at times, but some of you are making it sounds like everything he throws is just terrible.  That's simply not the case.  He's had some really nice moments too.  

He’s right where he should be like any rookie QBs. Good thing is, missing wide open receivers 5 yards down the LOS is a mental mistake that can be fixed. Nerves need to calm down and that will come with practice. He’s getting plenty of that. He can climb the QB rankings if he can overcome the basics. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jet2020 said:

Precisely. Watch the game, not these stats. His ball placement has been horrible at best. Take a look at our YAC. We don’t have a single player inside the top 100 players when it comes to YAC. 

Like you said, watch the game. Zach has some ways to go before he becomes a half decent QB. 

You do know what a drop is don't you since that is what we are talking about.  Not Qb accuracy. 

If you want to start a whole other discussion about how poor the Qb is doing by all means,  that does not one bit take away from passes hitting pro receivers right in the mitts and being dropped which kill drives.

We are 'supposed' to good to decent receivers, they have for the most part been very very disappointing.

Catch the damn ball when it hits you in the hands.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I think a #1 WR dropping 1 pass in every 5 thrown to him is beyond awful.

20% drop rate for a WR should put him on the bench.  

Now, ZW has to press knowing that if the ball isn't PERFECT it's likely to get dropped.

This team is a mess right now.

You should never even see the NFL with those #'s.

• Upvote 3

On 10/12/2021 at 7:58 PM, doitny said:

90% of this is on Wilson.

just curious what they consider a dropped pass? 

a ball thrown at Carter feet where he get a finger on it is a drop pass?

or a ball thrown behind Davis that he turns all crooked and gets one hand on it a dropped pass?

I forget after which game, but remember looking at the recorded drops stats right after the game & they seemed low; as in there were other passes, that most/all would agree should have been caught, that weren’t counted in the drops tallies.

If anything, receiver-drops stats are overboard conservative, the opposite of expecting a really great, acrobatic catch on the receiver’s part should have been made.

Maybe someone has the time & inclination to go over each incomplete pass thrown thus far (both those that fell to the turf and those intercepted). That person isn’t me lol. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I forget after which game, but remember looking at the recorded drops stats right after the game & they seemed low; as in there were other passes, that most/all would agree should have been caught, that weren’t counted in the drops tallies.

If anything, receiver-drops stats are overboard conservative, the opposite of expecting a really great, acrobatic catch on the receiver’s part should have been made.

Maybe someone has the time & inclination to go over each incomplete pass thrown thus far (both those that fell to the turf and those intercepted). That person isn’t me lol. 

ok thanks. i was curious because of that saying..

if you get a hand on it you should catch it...

alot of these throws do hit a receivers hands but are very hard to catch. he is off target too much

• Upvote 1