Maye possible trade?

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

OJ Howard is the #3 TE in Tampa. Behind Cameron Brate ffs.

Regardless, the team trading for Maye at this point is "a few players away", so why would they trade a player? We'll get a late pick and be done with it.

TB has to assume their last pick might be Mr Irrelevant or close to it.  Maybe they package that and OJ Howard.  If Howard can still run, I'd take it. 

The comp pick would be a 6th so only 32 spots different.  The Jets need a TE this season. 

If they believe OJ Howard is an upgrade, it looks like a great deal for both teams. 

What team is short at S and thinks they can make the playoffs this year?  They can trade for Maye and get him 25% off since the Jets paid for 5 games. 

A 4th rounder in 22 should do it.  The Jets will not get comp picks for 22 activity because of all the signings they will do.  Actually could be less, or a lot less, since the new team takes the money off of the Johnsons hands 

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

OJ Howard is the #3 TE in Tampa. Behind Cameron Brate ffs.

Regardless, the team trading for Maye at this point is "a few players away", so why would they trade a player? We'll get a late pick and be done with it.

If Bucs feel they are better with Maye than they are with Howard on the bench then they may make the move. Jets don't have to trade Maye to Tampa, could just as easily send him to a team competing with them like the Rams, Cardinals, or Cowboys. 

5 hours ago, Jets4Life1979 said:
#Jets to shop S Marcus Maye.
mentions the #Rams and #Buccaneers as two potential teams. Would a Maye for OJ Howard swap make sense? NYJ needs any help at TE and both have expiring contract.

We could use those 6 catches he brings with him.

Dont you think we should get more back for a Maye? 

1 hour ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I don't think Maye gets enough love for the player he's been. For the most part he keeps his head down doesn't say much and he always shows up on game day.

That being said between the DUI and the injury, we can probably get a second or third from the Cowboys or the Raiders! Lol

I think he's good but I understand why JD doesn't want to pay him what the market might.  

That means he's gone, so get what you can. 

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, jgb said:

JD is good at unloading talent, when do we get to the bringing in talent part of the program?

AVT and Hall are players, at least.  Still holding out hope for Becton, Mims, and even Ashtyn Davis plus the 2021 class guys I like who are “wait and see” guys.  Plus Carl Lawson’s return next year will be huge. Most importantly, while I don’t believe in Wilson, I hope and pray I’m wrong there.  

I know my takes on JD heavily lean “rosy” but it’s not entirely without cause.  We do have SOME talent, just not nearly as much as I’d have hoped to emerge by now under his tenure.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

AVT and Hall are players, at least.  Still holding out hope for Becton, Mims, and even Ashtyn Davis plus the 2021 class guys I like who are “wait and see” guys.  Plus Carl Lawson’s return next year will be huge. Most importantly, while I don’t believe in Wilson, I hope and pray I’m wrong there.  

I know my takes on JD heavily lean “rosy” but it’s not entirely without cause.  We do have SOME talent, just not nearly as much as I’d have hoped to emerge by now under his tenure.  

AVT is fair. Also there is still draft capital obtained from Adams/Darnold that has yet to be spent. 

I was never sold on Wilson, either. But now in same boat as you hoping I was wrong. Which is frequent with players -- especially QBs.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

If Bucs feel they are better with Maye than they are with Howard on the bench then they may make the move. Jets don't have to trade Maye to Tampa, could just as easily send him to a team competing with them like the Rams, Cardinals, or Cowboys. 

The problem is, the Jets aren’t better with Howard.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, jgb said:

Browns trying to make a run also. And Njoku was already rumored to be on trade block next season. Arizona will almost certainly go for Howard or Njoku in trade. 

If Njoku is available we need to get him. This is where if I’m JD, I would be aggressive with the rebuild. Maye for Howard and a pick. Trade a 3rd for Njoku. Or Maye for Njoku straight up and trade a 6th for Howard. Something like that. Now you actually can run two TE sets. Howard has speed but is more of a run blocker. Njoku has speed and is a pass catcher. Let’s get FA started early. Both are young. 

LaFleur is young and I don’t expect him to adjust what he’s doing. So JD needs to be aggressive and get players to fit what LaFleur is trying to do. It sounds backwards but it is what it is. We took this approach on defense. I don’t understand why we didn’t do it on offense.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Why do the Browns want to get rid of Njoku?

They had a big blowout over the summer. Not a Browns fans so don't hold me to every detail but as I understand he demanded a trade after Browns signed Austin Hooper. Apparently they tried to move him but couldn't get the return they wanted. He's playing on 5th year option and this is final year of his contract. If he's not in their long term plans why not move him to a team like the Cards who just lost their TE1 (and their TE2 is on COVID list)?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

41 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I dont see a player coming back.  Joe Douglas wants picks.  We dont need OJ Howard as we will be addressing tight end early in next years draft,

Maye for s 5th sounds about right.

We would get at least  a 4th and probably a 3rd for one of the best safeties in the league who is still south of 30.  If we let him walk in free agency we would probably get a 3rd in comp picks if it came to that.

22 minutes ago, jgb said:

They had a big blowout over the summer. Not a Browns fans so don't hold me to every detail but as I understand he demanded a trade after Browns signed Austin Hooper. Apparently they tried to move him but couldn't get the return they wanted. He's playing on 5th year option and this is final year of his contract. If he's not in their long term plans why not move him to a team like the Cards who just lost their TE1 (and their TE2 is on COVID list)?

Thanks, jgb.   I would welcome him here with kisses on both cheeks (face lol), European style.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Thanks, jgb.   I would welcome him here with kisses on both cheeks (face lol), European style.

Bleacher report updates a "Trade Big Board" every week where they rank guys based on their perceived likelihood of being traded. Njoku and Howard have been listed all season (except Howard dropped off after Gronk's injury).

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2949050-2021-nfl-trade-block-big-board-entering-week-5

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hael said:

We would get at least  a 4th and probably a 3rd for one of the best safeties in the league who is still south of 30.  If we let him walk in free agency we would probably get a 3rd in comp picks if it came to that.

1.  He's really not one of the best Safeties in the league.  That's homer talk.  He's an above average SS, nothing more.  And those aren't super valuable in the NFL.  
  2.  He's on an expiring contract.  Who is giving up a 3rd for a guy who is, potentially, just a 12-game rental?  
  3.  His value is dropping due to the DUI situation.
  4.  We're not likely to get any comp picks next year unless Douglas gets extremely creative.  

40 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:
  1.  He's really not one of the best Safeties in the league.  That's homer talk.  He's an above average SS, nothing more.  And those aren't super valuable in the NFL.  
  2.  He's on an expiring contract.  Who is giving up a 3rd for a guy who is, potentially, just a 12-game rental?  
  4.  We're not likely to get any comp picks next year unless Douglas gets extremely creative.  

Let’s face it

your just not a fan of Jets safeties 

59 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Agree.  Thats why I think a 5th will be what we get.

• Upvote 1

Maye is not going to be a New York Jet next year, so anything in return would be a small victory. He is an above average player, but nowhere near a game changer for the Jets. He might move the needle on a team who needs an upgrade on an already good secondary. We've seen JD swindle teams with draft pick trades, so I wouldn't be surprised if he got just a bit more than expected in return for Maye. I value Maye as a 5th rounder with his contract status and pending DUI suspension. JD somehow gets a 4th rounder for Maye plus a 5th rounder. Don't mark this down, but remember this if I am right. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1