Maye possible trade?

20 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

While I love the idea of giving Howard a shot, the fact that he hasn't been able to do much with Brady who is throwing for like 500 yards a game is a little troubling and Howard is an UFA after this year I believe. 

Maye seems like a far more valuable commodity at this point 

Have you guys seen Maye's off the field antics i.e driving issues?. DUI last Feb. hitting another car damaging the car and the person and the leaving the scene. Then like 3 months later caught driving with another infraction and a suspended license he incurred from the DUI offense. If you do not think that drops a players stock way down since that baggage is very problematic as well as the ensuing NFL suspension he will get after the cases are closed and that is likely at least 4 games. Sure, the suspension won't happen till next year, but it is an issue when you plan to probably resign the player after this season ends. His main trade value to teams like the Rams, Bucs, etc. is that he can greatly improve those teams at S for this season alone. But, make no mistake those teams know the Jets want to get rid of him and not pay him with an extension, so if we can get TE Howard and maybe some level of draft pick in lower rounds, it would be worth it to try and get another weapon on O that can help we can see if the player can fit into our system. But, Maye's value is now greatly diminished after what he has done this year, which by the way he hid from the team for like 7 months. You don't think other teams would be concerned about that as well?.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Maye has a long injury history he is a good player when healthy but he spends too much time being not healthy

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

injury history?  he's played 16 games in three of his seasons.  missed 10 his second season and now has been out one game.  i don't see that as being a bad injury historu.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

He's gone next year so JD will probably flip him for whatever he can get. I think a 5th is a win.

Let’s say the Jets owe Maye another $8mm.  They can absorb $4mm of it, shed $4mm and get a 4th round draft pick.  Similar to what they did with Leo.  I can see JD doing that.  The acquiring team gets a good safety for a playoff run that they can try and resign, with the suspension next year saving some money   Win, win

injury history?  he's played 16 games in three of his seasons.  missed 10 his second season and now has been out one game.  i don't see that as being a bad injury historu.
Being injured literally every year in the NFL you don't see as a bad injury history? Missing 1/3 of the games you could have possibly played is not a bad injury history?

7 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

The problem is, the Jets aren’t better with Howard.

I think the Jets would be better with better TE play. If Howard is a bad TE then I completely agree and would not make that trade but if you feel he's an upgrade at the position it would be worth it based on his upside. 

Basically I think the value Howard could provide is likely higher than the value we'd receive from a late 3rd round rookie in 2022.

41 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Being injured literally every year in the NFL you don't see as a bad injury history? Missing 1/3 of the games you could have possibly played is not a bad injury history?

he played 16 games in year 1, 3 and 4.  he was out for 10 games in year 2.  this year he's missed one game.  i don't see that as an injury history.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, rangerous said:

he played 16 games in year 1, 3 and 4.  he was out for 10 games in year 2.  this year he's missed one game.  i don't see that as an injury history.

Not to mention guys play through what most of us would call out of an office job for

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, jgb said:

Not to mention guys play through what most of us would call out of an office job for

yep.  i just don't see an injury history with maye.  he shows up and even though that was the rap when he first came in he overcame whatever injury bug he started with.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Unless a team blows JD away they’re not trading Maye.  His value is nice and low and they might be able to re-sign him at a reasonable number.

Straight up for an offensive weapon has to be considered. I'd be fine with a swap for Njoku/Howard. Those guys are on last year of their deals also. Both teams would probably make the deal contingent on reaching extensions. 

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

Straight up for an offensive weapon has to be considered. I'd be fine with a swap for Njoku/Howard. Those guys are on last year of their deals also. Both teams would probably make the deal contingent on reaching extensions. 

Howard sucks. Maybe for Njoku but Maye is better player so it’d have to be Njoku + more. 

Just now, kdels62 said:

Howard sucks. Maybe for Njoku but Maye is better player so it’d have to be Njoku + more. 

Not sure I agree that Howard "sucks" but if they know Maye is not in long term plans anyway, any return beats no return.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I think the Jets would be better with better TE play. If Howard is a bad TE then I completely agree and would not make that trade but if you feel he's an upgrade at the position it would be worth it based on his upside. 

Basically I think the value Howard could provide is likely higher than the value we'd receive from a late 3rd round rookie in 2022.

Disagree.

Howard cannot crack the starting lineup because he’s been incapable of executing at this level under 2 coaching regimes. He’s a bust.

I take a new rookie all day, every day over an established bust.

52 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Exactly. I worry so many of our fans don’t watch the games. He was a high pick based on physical gifts. He’s a third string TE because he doesn’t know how to play.

Why would the Jets need another physical specimen who cannot execute and/or learn the job? We just traded that with what’s his face our old TE bust.

Jets fans want more if the same.

hungry oliver twist GIF

31 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

What evidence is there that Howard doesn’t suck? He’s also on an expiring contract and would be a 3 month rental. 

As I said, any deal would likely be contingent on both teams securing extensions.

What evidence that he doesn't suck? Google his stats. He was a contributor before he tore his ACL (which he is still recovering from according to Arians).

Again -- the issue is if we are going to get nothing for Maye and he is not in the Jets LT plans, Anything > nothing. I do however greatly prefer Njoku, not least of which because he's younger than Howard.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Disagree.

Howard cannot crack the starting lineup because he’s been incapable of executing at this level under 2 coaching regimes. He’s a bust.

I take a new rookie all day, every day over an established bust.

Absolutely, if the talent isn't there don't make this trade. This is a move you make if you like the players upside.

2 hours ago, LockeJET said:

OJ Howard would be the most dynamic offensive weapon we’ve had in the last four years and he sucks.  

What I’ve seen from OJH tonight is unrecognizable from the player at Alabama.  

The achilles injury ruined his athleticism.  He can’t move at all…

10 hours ago, RoadFan said:

What I’ve seen from OJH tonight is unrecognizable from the player at Alabama.  

The achilles injury ruined his athleticism.  He can’t move at all…

Yep. He was being showcased tonight though. Dude has been invisible.

Id rather Ertz.