A few predictions (what are yours)

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

First time poster who enjoys the banter, humor, and opinions on this site.  We are an unlucky bunch, aren’t we?  

1. Jets trade for a guard before the trade deadline.  2022 is about Wilson’s development in 2021 which will be immensely helped shoring up the middle of the pocket

2. Bye bye Maye.  Good player, mostly under appreciated but he is no longer part of the team’s LT plans and it’s better to cash in for something now than to get no value later

3. No tight end yet.  Sorry Ertz fans but this gets addressed in round 1 2022.  Kind of counter to #1 but JD ultimately decides guard is more of a priority and he’ll keep his draft chips rather than chasing here

4. Jets begin to incorporate no huddle in first quarters

5. Mims begins to take significant reps away from Cole

6. Zack gets his first 4th quarter comeback in the next 4 games (been close twice now)

7. Jets look to lock up Quincy Williams before end of the season

Good job. God I hate that saying. I was in Michigan and they all say that night and day. Good job. I ******* hate Michigan. Anyways- 
1. Maybe. JD is scouring the earth to replace Van Roten. 
2. Maye may never play another down here. We need to get at least a 3rd + player. He’s pretty much an afterthought at this point. 
3.TE - yea 2022 draft but not in round one. Edge and OL in round one. Wait until round 2. 
4. No huddle in 1st quarter? Not a good idea. Zach already has history of ADHD. Easy does it until the game slows down for him. 
5. No not Coles. Cheerios. 
6.  Zach the new Sipe. I like it. 
7. QW singing money money money - money. 

52 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Prediction:  Jets go 2-15, Joe Douglas is fired, we bring in a GM who is actually good at picking players and building a coaching staff.

SAR I

Joe Douglas is not getting fired after this year, period.  Not with 4(3?) more years on his contract.  The Johnsons aren't paying that off.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So no answer then. Cool.

The answer:

The Jets are the worst career destination in all of professional sports.  The downsides are obvious-  we don't get A or B caliber GM candidates, we don't get anyone with prior experience looking for a comeback, young candidates in play are easily convinced to stay with their existing clubs, etc.

But that also brings a massive benefit.  By being the team that can only attract imperfect and desperate candidates, we can say 'reputation be damned' and cycle through them every two years, in-and-out, churn 'em and burn 'em.  GM gets two years, if his draft and FA hit rate is weak, bye bye.  Head coach, same thing, two years, if the culture doesn't change and the record doesn't change, bye bye.

We shouldn't be begging the A and B candidates to come here, overpay them, give them lengthy deals, and give them unlimited autonomy.  That's no different than overpaying a player, taking away his hunger, putting him on cruise control, no different than a FO full of Mo Wilkerson's.

We should be playing to our strength.  We should be taking advantage of all the C and D candidates.  There are so many more of them out there than A's and B's and the typical A or B candidates fail 70% of the time anyway.  You can find a diamond in the sh-t pile just as easily as you can find a diamond from the diamond pile.  It's a numbers game.  

You know what turned around the Browns?  3 GM's and 4 HC's in 6 years.  Everyone laughed and called them dysfunctional.  What they were actually doing was smart.  They realized that it's all lotto and in order to increase your chances of hitting a winner you need to buy more tickets.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Ken Schroy said:

Bold prediction. you clown.

We don't need to overpay and coerce a Name Brand GM with a 6 year $18M contract.

We need the exact opposite.  We need to line up 3 desperate no-name GM's each on a 2 year prove-it-or-lose-it $1M contract.

We need a GM who can pick players.  That's it.  2 drafts, 2 FA periods is enough time to know if they've got that skill or not.  And no one can convince me that putting our eggs in one 6-year basket is smarter than three 2-year baskets.  The Johnson's suck at picking GM's as much as our GM's suck at picking players.  So stop being so patient.  Stop being so deliberate.  Start being more aggressive.  Churn 'em and burn 'em.  We don't have a reputation to protect and these desperate and flawed candidates don't deserve that type of respect anyway.  The more GM's we have the faster we can find one that's actually good and then we're set for decades.

SAR I

5 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

First time poster who enjoys the banter, humor, and opinions on this site.  We are an unlucky bunch, aren’t we?  

1. Jets trade for a guard before the trade deadline.  2022 is about Wilson’s development in 2021 which will be immensely helped shoring up the middle of the pocket

2. Bye bye Maye.  Good player, mostly under appreciated but he is no longer part of the team’s LT plans and it’s better to cash in for something now than to get no value later

3. No tight end yet.  Sorry Ertz fans but this gets addressed in round 1 2022.  Kind of counter to #1 but JD ultimately decides guard is more of a priority and he’ll keep his draft chips rather than chasing here

4. Jets begin to incorporate no huddle in first quarters

5. Mims begins to take significant reps away from Cole

6. Zack gets his first 4th quarter comeback in the next 4 games (been close twice now)

7. Jets look to lock up Quincy Williams before end of the season

I am not sure they find a taker for Maye but he is not in the future plans of this team.

Coming out of the bye is going to be a telling sign for this team. I expect the coaching staff to recognize the difficulties experienced in the first 5 games and adjust accordingly. They have shown the ability to make in game changes to a degree so far so I do not see them as the stubborn staff's we have had in the past.

Zach is the key here obviously. IF he is at a minimum 10-15% more accurate than he has been, this will be a different looking team. In my opinion, the next two games will be very telling and that does not necessarily mean winning both although that would be nice.

I believe Zack Wilson will finally grow into the system that is installed and surprise everyone. 

Besides Corey Grave, Mims and Moore will step up and lead the offense.

Even with Becton back, the oline will still be a work in progress.

The secondary will begin intercepting the ball more,

JD will try to get an 'EDGE' rusher to take the pressure off the dline.

I predict the Jets will

- trade Maye prior to the deadline

- trade for a TE

- Zach will let it rip. Not sure if this is good or bad but I believe he’s going to throw the ball in a direction.

- have a winning record in the second half of the year (I.e., 1st Miami game and forward)

That’s all I got.

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

We don't need to overpay and coerce a Name Brand GM with a 6 year $18M contract.

We need the exact opposite.  We need to line up 3 desperate no-name GM's each on a 2 year prove-it-or-lose-it $1M contract.

We need a GM who can pick players.  That's it.  2 drafts, 2 FA periods is enough time to know if they've got that skill or not.  And no one can convince me that putting our eggs in one 6-year basket is smarter than three 2-year baskets.  The Johnson's suck at picking GM's as much as our GM's suck at picking players.  So stop being so patient.  Stop being so deliberate.  Start being more aggressive.  Churn 'em and burn 'em.  We don't have a reputation to protect and these desperate and flawed candidates don't deserve that type of respect anyway.  The more GM's we have the faster we can find one that's actually good and then we're set for decades.

SAR I

I see where you are going.  but why not also incorporate a shadow GM(s).  Hire 1 GM but have a shadow GM (who you pay) to make picks in the background.  Let's see how those picks do.  If he's good - he takes over when the first guy gets caned.  it's like our GM "Practice Squad".

3 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

I see where you are going.  but why not also incorporate a shadow GM(s).  Hire 1 GM but have a shadow GM (who you pay) to make picks in the background.  Let's see how those picks do.  If he's good - he takes over when the first guy gets caned.  it's like our GM "Practice Squad".

Yes, that's the kind of thinking we need.  It's almost irresponsible the way the NFL is run.  Jets are a $4B entity and the most important position is filled with a decision every 4-5 years that's done by a diceroll and a hunch.

What the Browns did looked laughable a few years ago.  3 GM's and 4 HC's in 6 seasons.  They whipped right through them in a ruthless revolving door until they found the good ones.  No one is laughing now. 

SAR I

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, johnnysd said:

[B]I predict that LaFleur and Saleh will realize that they are trying to force Zach into a system that does not fit him well[/B] and they make adjustments and we become more of a 11 and 10 personnel team right from the start of games.

All I heard pre-draft was how Zach was perfect QB fit for LaFleur’s system.  What happened between then and now?  Did the system change?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Yes, that's the kind of thinking we need.  It's almost irresponsible the way the NFL is run.  Jets are a $4B entity and the most important position is filled with a decision every 4-5 years that's done by a diceroll and a hunch.

What the Browns did looked laughable a few years ago.  3 GM's and 4 HC's in 6 seasons.  They whipped right through them in a ruthless revolving door until they found the good ones.  No one is laughing now. 

SAR I

what is the average tenor of a GM in the NFL (take out the guys who stick around for more than a decade).  be curious to know.

For the last decade either our coaches have sucked or our GM have sucked or often both.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, batman10023 said:

what is the average tenor of a GM in the NFL (take out the guys who stick around for more than a decade).  be curious to know.

For the last decade either our coaches have sucked or our GM have sucked or often both.  

Why take out guys who stick around for more than a decade? 

1 hour ago, AL047 said:

I believe Zack Wilson will finally grow into the system that is installed and surprise everyone. 

Besides Corey Grave, Mims and Moore will step up and lead the offense.

Even with Becton back, the oline will still be a work in progress.

The secondary will begin intercepting the ball more,

JD will try to get an 'EDGE' rusher to take the pressure off the dline.

I like what you did on the second to last one.  That’s like predicting you’ll fart in the next day.  I mean, they don’t have 1 int all year so I’m with you on that one.