A few predictions (what are yours)

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

The answer:

The Jets are the worst career destination in all of professional sports.  The downsides are obvious-  we don't get A or B caliber GM candidates, we don't get anyone with prior experience looking for a comeback, young candidates in play are easily convinced to stay with their existing clubs, etc.

But that also brings a massive benefit.  By being the team that can only attract imperfect and desperate candidates, we can say 'reputation be damned' and cycle through them every two years, in-and-out, churn 'em and burn 'em.  GM gets two years, if his draft and FA hit rate is weak, bye bye.  Head coach, same thing, two years, if the culture doesn't change and the record doesn't change, bye bye.

We shouldn't be begging the A and B candidates to come here, overpay them, give them lengthy deals, and give them unlimited autonomy.  That's no different than overpaying a player, taking away his hunger, putting him on cruise control, no different than a FO full of Mo Wilkerson's.

We should be playing to our strength.  We should be taking advantage of all the C and D candidates.  There are so many more of them out there than A's and B's and the typical A or B candidates fail 70% of the time anyway.  You can find a diamond in the sh-t pile just as easily as you can find a diamond from the diamond pile.  It's a numbers game.  

You know what turned around the Browns?  3 GM's and 4 HC's in 6 years.  Everyone laughed and called them dysfunctional.  What they were actually doing was smart.  They realized that it's all lotto and in order to increase your chances of hitting a winner you need to buy more tickets.

SAR I

The Johnsons can't pick a G.M. if their life depended on it. They also don't know how to cut a GM after a couple years of miserable years. They let the GM ride out his contract 

1 minute ago, batman10023 said:

trying to get a sense for how quickly the rest of the league moves on from their GM.  (the ones that are not successful)

Interesting premise. Not sure how to come up with an appropriate way to measure that. 

30 minutes ago, legler82 said:

All I heard pre-draft was how Zach was perfect QB fit for LaFleur’s system.  What happened between then and now?  Did the system change?

Yes. LaFleur is sticking a very rigid version of the offense instead of adapting it for Zach like his brother did in Green Bay

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Larz said:

LaFleur gets sacrificed. 

That's probably what should happen.  Not sure it will.  LaFleur is much more then just a guy Saleh knows from another team.  It's his best friends brother.  Saleh has know LaFleur since he was a teenager.  Going to be real hard to fire him.  Think Saleh will ride it out with him, hope it's not his, and the teams undoing.   

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I predict that LaFleur and Saleh will realize that they are trying to force Zach into a system that does not fit him well and they make adjustments and we become more of a 11 and 10 personnel team right from the start of games.

I think Zach will iron out his issues and improve significantly as the season goes on. There will still be ups and downs but unlike Sam I am not concerned about his development at this point.

AVT will make the Pro Bowl as a rookie.

Becton will come back in November but struggle. We only really have one foundational OL at this point in AVT. Jets should consider extending Fant he is playing quite well in pass blocking and at worse he is a well above average swing tackle. 2022 draft will be mostly offense early again.

The WR group needs a shakeup but I have no idea what they are going to do. I like many fans think Mims should be used more.

Maye will not be traded at the trade deadline as he has very little value at all.

Seattle's #1 will be around Top 10.

Carolina is going to continue to slide and not make the playoffs. Darnold will look like Darnold.

Hope you are right about the last 2 lines since that greatly increases the draft picks we have from those teams in 2022 of 1st, 2nd, and 4th round. Our own draft picks in rounds 1, 2, will be likely high as well. These 1st 7 picks next year in the 1st 4 rounds need to continue to improve the Oline, get us a #1 TE, and see if we can improve at RB by picking another one there.  We need to see how the WRs develop before we look to get more of them since we are having trouble getting some of the ones we have on the field, though one of these guys need to develop into a #1 WR and Davis would need to improve more for that. #1 WRs don't drop any passes that hit them in the hands even if they are turned around and the ball is behind them.

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

The answer:

The Jets are the worst career destination in all of professional sports.  The downsides are obvious-  we don't get A or B caliber GM candidates, we don't get anyone with prior experience looking for a comeback, young candidates in play are easily convinced to stay with their existing clubs, etc.

But that also brings a massive benefit.  By being the team that can only attract imperfect and desperate candidates, we can say 'reputation be damned' and cycle through them every two years, in-and-out, churn 'em and burn 'em.  GM gets two years, if his draft and FA hit rate is weak, bye bye.  Head coach, same thing, two years, if the culture doesn't change and the record doesn't change, bye bye.

We shouldn't be begging the A and B candidates to come here, overpay them, give them lengthy deals, and give them unlimited autonomy.  That's no different than overpaying a player, taking away his hunger, putting him on cruise control, no different than a FO full of Mo Wilkerson's.

We should be playing to our strength.  We should be taking advantage of all the C and D candidates.  There are so many more of them out there than A's and B's and the typical A or B candidates fail 70% of the time anyway.  You can find a diamond in the sh-t pile just as easily as you can find a diamond from the diamond pile.  It's a numbers game.  

You know what turned around the Browns?  3 GM's and 4 HC's in 6 years.  Everyone laughed and called them dysfunctional.  What they were actually doing was smart.  They realized that it's all lotto and in order to increase your chances of hitting a winner you need to buy more tickets.

SORE I

See the source image

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

Yes, that's the kind of thinking we need.  It's almost irresponsible the way the NFL is run.  Jets are a $4B entity and the most important position is filled with a decision every 4-5 years that's done by a diceroll and a hunch.

What the Browns did looked laughable a few years ago.  3 GM's and 4 HC's in 6 seasons.  They whipped right through them in a ruthless revolving door until they found the good ones.  No one is laughing now. 

SORE I

Good thoughts SORE I.  For me to poop on!

See the source image

21 minutes ago, dcJet said:

I predict Zach improving.  Dude has too much talent to be playing this badly.

I predict we'll be rooting for losses by Halloween.  Then, we win three in a row at the end of the season just to mess up our draft spot.

No reason to tank once you have a QB

4 hours ago, Green hat said:

I predict Zach won't get substantially better until the off-season. He just has too much to handle right now and needs a few weeks away to recharge. 

But I do believe he will get substantially better and be fun to watch next year. 

He's fun to watch now!   Dude is entertaining as hell.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Green hat said:

I predict Zach won't get substantially better until the off-season. He just has too much to handle right now and needs a few weeks away to recharge. 

But I do believe he will get substantially better and be fun to watch next year. 

Still waiting for Sanchez, Geno, Hackenberg, Petty, and Darnold to make the year 2 jump. 

• Thumb Down 1

On 10/13/2021 at 5:14 AM, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

First time poster who enjoys the banter, humor, and opinions on this site.  We are an unlucky bunch, aren’t we?  

1. Jets trade for a guard before the trade deadline.  2022 is about Wilson’s development in 2021 which will be immensely helped shoring up the middle of the pocket

Says you joined JN yesterday? What a coincidence, i was born yesterday...

How about you tell us who you really are, pal. I demand you reveal your pre-gallows identity

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Says you joined JN yesterday? What a coincidence, i was born yesterday...

How about you tell us who you really are, pal. I demand you reveal your pre-gallows identity

Haha!  I did officially join and post for the first time yesterday but I’ve been reading posts here for years.  You guys really are a funny bunch, which is needed given the sh*t show we’ve been watching on the field.

• Haha 1

On 10/13/2021 at 8:14 AM, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

First time poster who enjoys the banter, humor, and opinions on this site.  We are an unlucky bunch, aren’t we?  

1. Jets trade for a guard before the trade deadline.  2022 is about Wilson’s development in 2021 which will be immensely helped shoring up the middle of the pocket

2. Bye bye Maye.  Good player, mostly under appreciated but he is no longer part of the team’s LT plans and it’s better to cash in for something now than to get no value later

3. No tight end yet.  Sorry Ertz fans but this gets addressed in round 1 2022.  Kind of counter to #1 but JD ultimately decides guard is more of a priority and he’ll keep his draft chips rather than chasing here

4. Jets begin to incorporate no huddle in first quarters

5. Mims begins to take significant reps away from Cole

6. Zack gets his first 4th quarter comeback in the next 4 games (been close twice now)

7. Jets look to lock up Quincy Williams before end of the season

1. i dont think so. if someone is available thats good they might want too much for him and the OL has been getting better the last 2 weeks.

2. i would like that but i dont think we would get anything for him. i would love to see him gone so the kids like Davis and others get the most snaps. we need to see which ones are good. 

3. TE is a problem. but before next year i would like them to give Yeboah a shot. thats what this year is for, to see who we got. 

4. no, too early for that. Zach needs to make better throws.

5.  see #3

6. if you live on an island with no contact with the real world and came here you would think we played 5 Denver type games. fact is we won 1 and were in the Carolina and Atlanta games down to the end. so this is definitely possible.

7. your talking about Quinnen right, the DL not the LB Quincey. 

Quinnen show be signed but if he cant dont be surprised if hes traded sometime .. JD doesnt let good players go for nothing in return. Quincey the LB is about to lose his starting job to Jarred Davis next week.

I think this team will get better as the season goes on.

I think they go 6-6 the rest of the way. Wilson shows improvement as the game begins to slow down him, He learns that a 3 yard dumpoff is a good thing, Mims will get more reps, Moore starts to emerge and things will start to look up for 2022.

• Sympathy 1

On 10/13/2021 at 4:28 PM, jgb said:

Why take out guys who stick around for more than a decade? 

Yeah, that's dumb. Guys who stick around for more than a decade are typically the great GM's. Taking them out totally skews the number. It's like saying rate all the quarterbacks who stay on one team less than 3 years. You get all the busts, but none of the greats.

• Upvote 1