Should Becton start upon return?

22 minutes ago, rangerous said:

oline play has gotten better but at the same time this season is about getting reps for players that will be on next year's team.  assuming becton is healthy he should start.  true fant is pass blocking pretty well but so does becton and he's a better run blocker.  if the jets do anything to their oline beyond becton they need to address van rotens spot.  right guard is the weak point.

Becton at RG, make it happen LePew.

• Haha 4
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So all of a sudden this site thinks Fant is good? 90% of Jetnation wanted him cut to save money... Now you are arguing on replacing the best LT the Jets have had in 10 years with him... Jesus... I mea

Play the best 5. I have a hard time seeing Becton, despite his critics here, not being amongst the best 5 when he comes back. Maybe we might actually get a functioning running offense if Bec

oline play has gotten better but at the same time this season is about getting reps for players that will be on next year's team.  assuming becton is healthy he should start.  true fant is pass blocki

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

The OL has gotten better with more reps. They’re jelling.

This is a tough one for the coaching staff. I think Becton is better than Fant and Moses. So, I won’t get on the CS if Becton starts right away at LT.

But if it were up to me, I would put Moses at RG and Becton at RT. The left side and McGovern have improved every week. Don’t mess with them.

I don’t know if Moses can play guard, but I can’t imagine he’s be worse than GVR. So just give it a shot.

Or Becton at LT with Moses at RG and Fant at RT. Whatever is best. Aside from Zach, RG and TE are the biggest issues on offense. We can at least try and address RG by putting our best 5 OL on the field.

That is an interesting idea.  I'd prefer to see Becton move to the inside at RG, but perhaps moving Becton to RT and Moses to RG would be as good if not the better option.

I was all in on drafting an offensive lineman in that draft with their first pick, but I didn't want anything to do with Becton.  Way to unconventional and very little real pro type pass blocking in college.   It was another high risk high reward picks that the Jets really cant afford to make with all the needs they have.  

• Confused 1
37 minutes ago, Bronx said:

The O-Line has gotten better and AVT is excelling with Fant on his side. Should the current nucleus on the left side be altered or should we use Becton as a floater? The latter will impact Becton's development but changing the line could have its implications.

Thoughts?

Simple. AVT wasn’t drafted to play next to Fant. Of course Becton will start.

• Upvote 2
Just now, section314 said:

Simple. AVT wasn’t drafted to play next to Fant. Of course Becton will start.

That was Plan A and it might still be the case; but things do change. It was reported that the line played better upon Becton's injury and with a better pass protection in the last 2 games, things could turn to another direction. 

• Thumb Down 1
3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Not all LT can be effective at RT. It's somewhat similar to trying to play pool or guitar opposite handed.

I thought it was like pitching with your opposite hand....

• Haha 3
29 minutes ago, David Harris said:

No doubt.  

Highest upside, high pick, will be here for years- don’t piss him off but more so he’s literally our best LT. He showed that last year. Will help in the run game too. 

keep Moses starting at RT. Fant swing tackle.

Moses's strengths are well-suited to guard.  If the coaching staff goes to him and says we would like to try you at guard or you're going to back up Fant at RT why would he say no?  And he couldn't be worse than Van Rotten.

12 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Not all LT can be effective at RT. It's somewhat similar to trying to play pool or guitar opposite handed.

Becton played both tackle spots in college and he's a mauler in the run game so he'd likely have no issues at RT in the NFL. That said, he's going to play LT when he comes back. Maybe Moses moves to RG if they want to keep Fant on the field.

• Upvote 2

Becton started 24 games at right tackle at Louisville.

Start him there against the more powerful but less quick edge rushers and keep Fant on the left against the quicker edge rushers.

Play to both of their strengths.

Wilson won’t be able to see over Moses if he moves to guard :).  Identify an available guard who can play and fits this system on the trade market and make the deal before the deadline.  I pray there is one out there because we need to fix and evaluate the offensive line this season.

when he comes back he has to play LT. thats what he played since hes been here.

now if you want to move him to RT you do that next year. i know he played there some in college but he hasnt here and with a rookie QB we dont need for Becton to relearn RT while guys want to kill Wilson. let him have a whole training camp to make that move. the NFL isnt college.

Someone posted Baldy's breakdown of AVT. One on running play AVT walls his guy off straight off the snap.

RB got tackled after only a short gain on a run out left. Fant got pushed backwards and his man just peeled off and tackled the RB from behind. Had Fant got any push at all, or even just held his ground, it would have been a far longer run.

I get that it's only one play, but it epitomises why we're struggling to run the football.

• Upvote 3
2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I think you have to if for no other reason than you need to know what you really have.

1) He was awful in pre-season and didn't look good in the short span the played this year.

2) Can he stay healthy? He'll likely have 5 or 6 weeks left when he gets back.  We need to know if he can hold up.

With 5 picks in the top 65 we really need to know if we need to draft an LT early.

If you are asking this you already know the answer.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Becton started 24 games at right tackle at Louisville.

Start him there against the more powerful but less quick edge rushers and keep Fant on the left against the quicker edge rushers.

Play to both of their strengths.

Wilson won’t be able to see over Moses if he moves to guard :).  Identify an available guard who can play and fits this system on the trade market and make the deal before the deadline.  I pray there is one out there because we need to fix and evaluate the offensive line this season.

He flopped from one side to the other because Petrino is an idiot.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Moses's strengths are well-suited to guard.  If the coaching staff goes to him and says we would like to try you at guard or you're going to back up Fant at RT why would he say no?  And he couldn't be worse than Van Rotten.

I agree and it would get the best 5 playing but Moses is looking for his next payday and he wants Tackle money.  I think he’d feel slighted jmo.  

• Upvote 1

Zach Wilson's development comes above everything else. I let Fant ride this out and "Work Becton back slowly" when/if Fant trails off then you make the switch again. I don't think you put Becton at RT even though that may not be the worst move.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You dont lose your job to injury on this team.  Saleh made that very clear when stating Jared Davis starts immediately when he is healthy.  Becton will be put back at LT the minute he is healthy.

That is just a stupid concept.  If Belichick followed that rule, there would be no Tom Brady.  For the record, I think Becton should start at LT, but not because of the "you don't lose your job to injury" rule.

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, Bronx said:

Wilson has been sack only 3 times in the last two games, something to keep an eye on.

Yeah, because we've played the Titans and Falcons who have an anemic pass rush.

Fant playing didn't seem to help us against the Broncos.

Becton has to play, because he should be a franchise player for us and at worst he needs to be evaluated.

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

I agree and it would get the best 5 playing but Moses is looking for his next payday and he wants Tackle money.  I think he’d feel slighted jmo.  

He was sitting game 1 IIRC, so presumably playing RG is better than sitting?

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Bronx said:

Wilson has been sack only 3 times in the last two games, something to keep an eye on.

Becton didn’t allow one sack when he was out there.  What am i missing?

Teams pray to God for an OLT that is giving the Jets what Fant is giving them right now, but we should definitely short-circuit that because we don’t want to hurt Becton’s feelings, even though Becton gave up 254 sacks this summer to every rando who lined up over him.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Teams pray to God for an OLT that is giving the Jets what Fant is giving them right now, but we should definitely short-circuit that because we don’t want to hurt Becton’s feelings, even though Becton gave up 254 sacks this summer to every rando who lined up over him.

And Wilson and Moore lit it up in those same practices.  How much do those practice sessions really mean as a predictor for the regular season?  Becton was drafted as a franchise LT.  The Jets need to see if he can play now, while they are in rebuilding/evaluation stage for the remainder of this season.

8 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

And Wilson and Moore lit it up in those same practices.  How much do those practice sessions really mean as a predictor for the regular season?  Becton was drafted as a franchise LT.  The Jets need to see if he can play now, while they are in rebuilding/evaluation stage for the remainder of this season.

I think the list of things the Jets need to evaluate this season goes like this:

1. Can Zack Wilson play quarterback?
2. Can Robert Saleh and his staff help Zack Wilson play quarterback?

27. Can Mekhi Becton return from injury in Week Twelve and be an above average OLT?

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Bronx said:

The O-Line has gotten better and AVT is excelling with Fant on his side. Should the current nucleus on the left side be altered or should we use Becton as a floater? The latter will impact Becton's development but changing the line could have its implications.

Thoughts?

Personally I think you play him for the 1 to 2 games before he gets hurt again. 

• Haha 1