Should Becton start upon return?

Bronx

So all of a sudden this site thinks Fant is good? 90% of Jetnation wanted him cut to save money... Now you are arguing on replacing the best LT the Jets have had in 10 years with him... Jesus... I mean I understand that Jets fandom sways with the wind but this is ******* ridiculous....

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 4
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Here is my recommendation.   Leave Fant where he is.  He's the better pass blocking LT.  When Big Ticket is ready to return, get him practice reps in the RG spot.  If he can play inside, he starts at RG.  The current RG moves to the back-up role.

Keep it that way until Big Ticket demonstrates that he can pass block on the outside better than Fant if ever. 

WTF  Maybe if your font was bigger you'd make your point more pronounced. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Moses stays at RT. Best I can tell, it’s the only position he’s played since Washington made him their starting RT in 2015.

Becton to LT, of course assuming he isn’t getting his ass handed to himself in practices upon returning from injury.  

Fant on the field nominally as a TE but in practical terms as a 6th lineman. It’s also a role he filled with Seattle. 

Honestly among the three, the Jets tackle the most apt to moving to RG to swap out GVR is probably Fant, as he seems the most versatile at changing roles. RT, LT, TE, basketball player… 

Well before Becton returns, if they decide they’ve had it with GVR, the next man up is  Feeney, who (as the top backup iOL) should have been taking plenty of guard reps & drills in practice since the summer ended.

Feeney is not viable.  Becton is lazy.  AVT is the only draft pick I'm confident in.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3

20 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Feeney is not viable.  Becton is lazy.  AVT is the only draft pick I'm confident in.

Feeney has given no reason for anyone here to have any confidence in him. That said, there’s every likelihood moving career tackles to guard in one week, on a line where they can't simply man up on a DT/DE, could yield even worse results.

We'll see what happens with Becton. People are justified in being down on him with the summer he had. Fant doesn't have his ability, but isn't falling flat on his face getting the QB killed, and that can be the motivator we'd have liked to be there all along for Becton. Lots of us behaved like kids when we were kids, and maybe/hopefully this helps him grow up faster. He should realize he dodged a bullet as his face getting wheeled off on the cart showed he thought it was something far worse.

Then again it remains to be seen that he hasn't put on another 20+ pounds while he was hurt, stuffing his face in bed. Hope not; he could be great. 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Here is my recommendation.   Leave Fant where he is.  He's the better pass blocking LT.  When Big Ticket is ready to return, get him practice reps in the RG spot.  If he can play inside, he starts at RG.  The current RG moves to the back-up role.

Keep it that way until Big Ticket demonstrates that he can pass block on the outside better than Fant if ever. 

You do realize AVT played one Q with Becton, after missing the entire preseason and its games.  You also do realize that OLs need to work together to develop because they work as a unit.  Becton is their best, most talented LT.  Period.  He needs to start, put Fant and Moses on the right side, either position and thats it

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Claymation said:

You think Becton is lazy?

I honestly don’t get that vibe from him. I think it may appear that way because big dudes just move slower and appear  more tired when they do things and it may appear as laziness. Look at a big dude standing next to a skill player after a sprint and you will see what I mean.

I do think he wants to be good, I do think he hasn’t fully grown into complete control of that massive body of his and I do think he’s baby poop soft. But, I’m not closing the book on the baby poop softness (BPS) If he can give us a minimal of 80% of the snaps in a year and be a top ten tackle in the league he can changed out of his BPS, till then has to wear it. 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, rangerous said:

oline play has gotten better but at the same time this season is about getting reps for players that will be on next year's team.  assuming becton is healthy he should start.  true fant is pass blocking pretty well but so does becton and he's a better run blocker.  if the jets do anything to their oline beyond becton they need to address van rotens spot.  right guard is the weak point.

Why not put Becton at right guard for the rest of the season?  Don't disrupt the left side of the line, and see if Becton can be a road grader at right guard.  Why not?  It's not like the Jets are getting into the playoffs this year.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

You do realize AVT played one Q with Becton, after missing the entire preseason and its games.  You also do realize that OLs need to work together to develop because they work as a unit.  Becton is their best, most talented LT.  Period.  He needs to start, put Fant and Moses on the right side, either position and thats it

Could be, yes... We'll see

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Skeptable said:

So all of a sudden this site thinks Fant is good? 90% of Jetnation wanted him cut to save money... Now you are arguing on replacing the best LT the Jets have had in 10 years with him... Jesus... I mean I understand that Jets fandom sways with the wind but this is ******* ridiculous....

What makes Becton better than Brick? Please don’t say potential because he hasn’t earned that. I’ll hang up and listen, thanks. 

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

No spot on any roster should be given, the player should have to earn it. So when he returns, he needs to earn his starting job back in practice.  

And every coach will continue to say you dont lose your job to injury

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And every coach will continue to say you dont lose your job to injury

Unless you're Wally Pip... Seriously though, I get that, and it works if you have an iron man in that job, but the line has been functioning much better without Becton for the most part, and he's not played an entire season yet in his brief but highly touted career. So if I'm the coach of this team, I do a little Parcells on the kid and try to motivate him to be even better than he was last year, cause so far this year he's been puke... If you just hand the job back to him and he's still sucking at that point you've done nothing for the kid.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 68JET11 said:

@Barry McCockinner and you wonder why our team is the way it is... it's guys like you that laugh instead of wanting someone to earn a job. I get that's not how the entire NFL works, but it would finally show that we have the right people in place if they ran the team that way.

I don't disagree with the premise, but this isn't a realistic view of how the NFL works. Becton was taken 11th overall last year by the current GM (his first ever draft pick) and btw he's obviously a better player than Fant. He will be the starting LT by virtue of being healthy enough to practice and stepping on the practice field. 

People will scream about how he was getting beat in practice by a speed rusher with shorts on and how the o-line has improved without him but it's all just dumb like most of the ish on this site. Obviously the protection was going to improve as they learned the scheme - the improvement is not because Becton is out. This was predictable, and I did predict it.

Becton is just obviously a better player despite the clownish garbage you read on the internet from fat dudes who never played a down sitting on the couch drinking beer. 

• Upvote 1

It would be great if by the end of this year we at least establish if Becton-AVT-CM-TBD-Moses is viable for next year. Would love to bring back Fant as the swing tackle at a reduced contract rather than as our LT with poor run blocking skills and the same contract.

I'm not worried about Becton's skills at LT, he looked great for a rookie last year and had to play with Feeney at his side in camp while learning the new O (and Lawson in his face). He'll be fine with time to gel with AVT. Maybe a little worried about durability but hoping that issue improves.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't disagree with the premise, but this isn't a realistic view of how the NFL works. Becton was taken 11th overall last year by the current GM (his first ever draft pick) and btw he's obviously a better player than Fant. He will be the starting LT by virtue of being healthy enough to practice and stepping on the practice field. 

People will scream about how he was getting beat in practice by a speed rusher with shorts on and how the o-line has improved without him but it's all just dumb like most of the ish on this site. Obviously the o-line was going to improve as they learned the scheme - the improvement is not because Becton is out. This was predictable, and I did predict it.

Becton is just obviously a better player despite the clownish garbage you read on the internet from fat dudes who never played a down sitting on the couch drinking beer. 

He is the better player and I don't disagree, I know that's how the NFL works, but I also know that good coaches can get the best out of players by sometimes tweeking them like Parcells did. Not saying that's what Saleh should do, I'm just saying that Becton, needs a little fire lit under him. I'm not ready to give up on him, or move him out of position, but I want to see him commit to being great.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

What makes Becton better than Brick? Please don’t say potential because he hasn’t earned that. I’ll hang up and listen, thanks. 

Brick was an ironman, unlike Becton. They are both average pass protectors (Brick allowed 9.5 sacks in 2012, 1 more than Wayne "the Turnstile" Hunter) with Becton being better at run blocking. Brick was someone you could count on game in and game out, he was only called for 15 holding penalties throughout his career but had 28 false starts. That just drove me nuts.

Becton has the potential to be much better than Brick but right now he isn't on the field. You aren't any good to the team sitting in a tub.

1 hour ago, Green hat said:

It would be great if by the end of this year we at least establish if Becton-AVT-CM-TBD-Moses is viable for next year. Would love to bring back Fant as the swing tackle at a reduced contract rather than as our LT with poor run blocking skills and the same contract.

I'm not worried about Becton's skills at LT, he looked great for a rookie last year and had to play with Feeney at his side in camp while learning the new O (and Lawson in his face). He'll be fine with time to jell with AVT. Maybe a little worried about durability but hoping that issue improves.

Becton-AVT-Linderbaum-CM-Moses

??????

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Brick was an ironman, unlike Becton. They are both average pass protectors (Brick allowed 9.5 sacks in 2012, 1 more than Wayne "the Turnstile" Hunter) with Becton being better at run blocking. Brick was someone you could count on game in and game out, he was only called for 15 holding penalties throughout his career but had 28 false starts. That just drove me nuts.

Becton has the potential to be much better than Brick but right now he isn't on the field. You aren't any good to the team sitting in a tub.

Personally I’d take Brick over Becton so can forget about that position for a decade and focus on other problems we have. Pressure around the end isn’t the same as pressure up the middle but I think I get your point on that. Becton has potential no doubt but so do a lot of guys who never make it in the NFL. Not sure you  even make it to training camp without some potential. 

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Personally I’d take Brick over Becton so can forget about that position for a decade and focus on other problems we have. Pressure around the end isn’t the same as pressure up the middle but I think I get your point on that. Becton has potential no doubt but so do a lot of guys who never make it in the NFL. Not sure you  even make it to training camp without some potential. 

I wasn't knocking Brick, he was someone you could count on day in and day out. However, Becton is pretty good, he just isn't on the field, and that is a problem.

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Not better then Brick... the best since Brick... Brick was hurt the last few years of his career.

• Thumb Down 1

4 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Unless you're Wally Pip... Seriously though, I get that, and it works if you have an iron man in that job, but the line has been functioning much better without Becton for the most part, and he's not played an entire season yet in his brief but highly touted career. So if I'm the coach of this team, I do a little Parcells on the kid and try to motivate him to be even better than he was last year, cause so far this year he's been puke... If you just hand the job back to him and he's still sucking at that point you've done nothing for the kid.

And I’m going to respond with AVT and Becton played together for a little over a quarter while AVT was rehabbing his pec muscle which caused him to miss all of the preseason and all 3 games.  Lines need to gel, need time together to get better and they are today than week one, playing more as a unit as they did in the 1st Q of week 1.  Becton would only make them better.  

There’s not a single scenario where adding Becton, your best OL makes them worse.  

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Skeptable said:

A year ago Becton was the next Willie Roaf and Fant was a JAG

• Upvote 1