Should Becton start upon return?

Bronx

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

And I’m going to respond with AVT and Becton played together for a little over a quarter while AVT was rehabbing his pec muscle which caused him to miss all of the preseason and all 3 games.  Lines need to gel, need time together to get better and they are today than week one, playing more as a unit as they did in the 1st Q of week 1.  Becton would only make them better.  

There’s not a single scenario where adding Becton, your best OL makes them worse.  

You are correct, lines do play better when they play longer, and need time to gel. That's what's currently happening with Becton out. I'm not saying Becton shouldn't play, I'd just want to see good line play in practice before I throw him out there. I do believe that Becton/AVT is and will be better than Fant/AVT in the long run.

• Upvote 1

Becton is a top 3 talent on this roster and is 100% starting upon his return. 

Also, I know it’s popular to label Becton as injury prone, but that is probably premature. The way he got hurt this year could happen to any OL on any play. Guys get rolled up on. I don’t see the connection to last year’s nagging injuries. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, sec143dmf said:

Hahaha.  I am not even sure if you are being serious or if you haven't watched the games 

That you think a rookie gave up a few sacks and wasnt dominating every snap just most of his snaps is the funny part.  Even if he struggled as you say, how does that make Fant better?  It doesnt

Wonder why no one else is saying he should be moved to the other side? 

On 10/14/2021 at 12:09 AM, T0mShane said:

I think the list of things the Jets need to evaluate this season goes like this:

1. Can Zack Wilson play quarterback?
2. Can Robert Saleh and his staff help Zack Wilson play quarterback?

27. Can Mekhi Becton return from injury in Week Twelve and be an above average OLT?

Don't forget whether Johnsons should raise the parking fee or keep it level

The real question should be how long before Becton gets hurt again upon return . He can't carry the weight and its ******* Obvious. If anything due to his total lack of ability to deal with speed rushers he should play RG and move Van Rotten the hell out of that starting position much less finesse needed at guard than Tackle which might help him impose hi will on DL coming straight at him 

• Upvote 2

On 10/15/2021 at 6:35 PM, Jet Nut said:

That you think a rookie gave up a few sacks and wasnt dominating every snap just most of his snaps is the funny part.  Even if he struggled as you say, how does that make Fant better?  It doesnt

Wonder why no one else is saying he should be moved to the other side? 

Fant's better because he's actually on the field. Hard to do any pass blocking from your couch eating cheetos. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/15/2021 at 3:29 AM, slimjasi said:

The way he got hurt this year could happen to any OL on any play. Guys get rolled up on.

This.

Two things may be true, he may be injury prone, and THIS specific injury is one of those "could have got literally anyone" types.

We'll just have to see Becton play more over time to see how much more time he misses.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, freestater said:

Fant's better because he's actually on the field. Hard to do any pass blocking from your couch eating cheetos. 

Hes not even close to being better.  

Fant has a longer injury history, has missed more games than Becton

apparently becton is going to be out a little more.  i watched a video on jets X and they were a little critical of moses' pass blocking.  basically they said moses gets his hands up too high to effectively control the pass rusher.  this might mean that they can move moses to rg, fant back to rt and becton at lt.  that could work.

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, faba said:

have to worry about his size frame can he be in top condition after a layoff with that frame at any time

It’s a legit concern. I have to believe he’s working his way back and not just laying in bed waiting for the day the doctor says “OK, you’re healed” to only then get off his ass. He can work out with the team & be in on meetings; he just can’t practice with them until he’s off IR.

Maybe they take him off IR at least a week early, before he’s medically cleared to play a full game, just so he can take some snaps in practices; and not worry about the player who’d otherwise occupy the last (and anyway, inactive) roster spot. Even more so with the expansion of the practice squad. 

At the same time, I’d think (hope) the team will factor his conditioning into the decision of when to put him back on the field as a starter, just as Fant’s pass-blocking thus far is going to make that decision harder as it is.

The most important thing right now is to protect the QB - not just to keep him upright, but to help things slow down for him as he’s developing - and in that regard the weak link in the chain isn’t presently at LT anyway. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1