Darrelle Revis: I did not enjoy my time with Patriots

jackhuntr

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespun.com/nfl/afc-east/new-england-patriots/nfl-world-reacts-to-darrelle-revis-patriots-admission/amp

Darrelle Revis: I did not enjoy my time with Patriots

Play Video

By Jordan Cohn, Audacy Sports
WEEIFM.jpg?width=60&height=60&crop=1:1
October 12, 20219:18 am

Not too long ago, LeGarrette Blount joined a podcast and discussed how the locker rooms of two teams he had spent time with — the Eagles and Patriots — were like “night and day,” though he enjoyed both of them in different ways. In New England, he said he appreciated and thrived on the hard-work and no-nonsense environment that Bill Belichick instilled.

RELATED

How did another former Patriot, albeit one who had a shorter stay, feel about the locker room?

“Nobody likes it in the locker room. Just being honest, nobody likes it.”

70306cab02134d02858e9408b4d8ac5d96bb9bd1
Podcast Episode
I AM Athlete Podcast
Darrelle Revis | Who Was Responsible For The Success In New England, Tom Brady or Bill Belichick?
Listen Now

Well then. Apparently Darrelle Revis didn’t speak to Blount about his opinion of the locker room, but the main point here is that Revis is not all too fond of his time with the Patriots, despite picking up a Super Bowl ring in his lone season there. He joined the “I AM ATHLETE” podcast and spoke about why he liked Rex Ryan during his long stint with the New York Jets, but was not a huge fan of Bill Belichick once he landed in New England.

“It's just, it's two different cultural philosophies,” Revis said (2:59 mark). “You know, Rex is a little bit more loose. He likes dogs, he wants you to go out there and play hard, run into a wall, that's fine. But there’s a lot of news going on right now with Bill, in terms of him and Mr. Kraft, and there's a lot of stuff surfacing right now. At the end of the day, the way that he runs his ship is a little bit different. But I do give him credit for winning so many Super Bowls and having the longevity to do it.

“...When you play with the New England Patriots, there’s a lot of pressure every time you walk in the door because it's a lot of tension, it's a lot of noise going on in the background where, [with] how the team is [run], it's unknown. You don't know what Mr. Kraft is doing, you don't know what Bill's doing, you just don't know…”

Listen to sports talk now on Audacy and shop the latest NFL team gear

But winning is what people want, right? That's why co-host of “I AM ATHLETE” Channing Crowder wanted to at least see whether or not he enjoyed his time there. Maybe even a little bit?

“No, I did not,” Revis said plainly, with a laugh. “You know, I'm happy for the grind and the hustle of winning Super Bowl 49, but you know waking up every day and walking into the facility and having to deal with the tension, you see why they've been to ten Super Bowls. You see the hustle and the grind of it, but at the end of the day, there's other philosophies to win and it doesn't have to be that way.”

Check out the full interview embedded above or here for more on Revis’s time with the Jets and Patriots, his locker room fight with Brandon Marshall, whether he thinks Tom Brady or Bill Belichick is more responsible for the Patriots’ success, his post-playing struggles with PTSD and much more.

RELATED
GettyImages1027503318-1-4abc08ed-680e-449f-bd1d-16b968bc012e.jpg?crop=16:9

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

This just verifies that Revis did not care one bit about winning. He only cared about one thing - how much he was getting paid relative to other CBs.  If he was not the highest paid CB, he was very unhappy.  Winning games was irrelevant.  That is why he is not close to being the best Jets player.  He is flawed when it comes to the most important attribute - the will to win, not just perform at an individual level and get paid for it.

• Upvote 1

He didn't like Belly because it was no nonsense, but loved Rex because he was loose... I know Belly is an arse, but I hate the summer camp coaches, I remember the defense of the Jets eating McDonalds on the practice field on hard knocks, thats pretty loose...

35 minutes ago, jgb said:

Fans think players have the same emotional attachment to teams that we do. Most of us would bail or at least ask for a raise if a competitor offered us a raise.

He has a ring. He wins.

Does he?

He would have a place in the ring of honor.  That might be better...and they are connected, especially the hall of fame ones.

Look at guys like Mangold, Chrebet, Gastinaue, Klecko, Bart Scott even Damien Woody. 

Of course they are connected, beloved by the fan base and clearly enjoy the connection.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

IMHO a little harsh. Jets traded him... What was he supposed to do tell the Pats to eff off when he became a FA after the Bucs out of some loyalty for a team that unloaded him?

Is that really how you saw the situation?

It's certainly not the way I did - I guess that's why we view him and the situation so starkly different.

• Upvote 1

“Revis only cared about himself wahhh” 

Like NFL teams actually care about the players. Teams just care about production. Revis was in an advantageous position where he could dictate the way his career went. He was the best Jet I’ve ever seen in my lifetime and deserves to be in Hall of Fame and ring of honor. 

Jets fans trying to disparage him cause he was a savvy business man are the reason Jets fans have a bad rep. Can’t even show an all time great respect smh 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

52 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Revis could have stayed with the Jets his whole career - made a few million less - but would have been a god around here for the rest of his life.

Could have even made up that money if he wanted in multiple ways.

He chose the route he chose, for which he had every right, but I think ultimately, for him - it was short sighted.

I truly understand your resentment, but Money Revis did get a ring after all.

59 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Revis could have stayed with the Jets his whole career - made a few million less - but would have been a god around here for the rest of his life.

Could have even made up that money if he wanted in multiple ways.

He chose the route he chose, for which he had every right, but I think ultimately, for him - it was short sighted.

Yeah he won a super bowl, made a boat load of money, is considered one of the best of all time and didn’t have to play for the trash Jets. I’m sure he’s losing alot of sleep over his decisions

• Haha 2

“No, I did not,” Revis said plainly, with a laugh. “You know, I'm happy for the grind and the hustle of winning Super Bowl 49, but you know waking up every day and walking into the facility and having to deal with the tension, you see why they've been to ten Super Bowls. You see the hustle and the grind of it, but at the end of the day, there's other philosophies to win and it doesn't have to be that way.”

There are always other ways. Some are just more effective than others. (Brady was probably 90% of it though) As pro athletes it should be a professional atmosphere. It's why some teams win and others are consistently sh*t. Maybe some guys are more interested in a comfy lifestyle off the field, and a chill work environment, as opposed to winning on the field. To each their own, but as a fan I know which player I prefer.

• Upvote 1